Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 11th 2009, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Congrats Easterndawn on acquiring your new cottage, it looks wonderful.....you've achieved so much in a short period.....good luck for the future...... oh and ignore the cynics
Old Oct 11th 2009, 5:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exBrummy
Easterndawn, I have been following your progress with interest and have just come across this old posting that states you and OH have paid into the Canadian system for 70 years and dont intend to "SPONGE" off the UK State. However, reading your most recent post it seems that you have gone over there and are doing exactly what Auldyin was implying...................
Oh come on now, take a deep breath and get over it ... you haven't been on here for two seconds and you're already stirring the shitpot.

p.s. Don't screw up the quotes - it's not difficult.

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 11th 2009 at 5:57 am. Reason: Tried to fix the bleedin' quote screw-up
Old Oct 11th 2009, 5:48 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I really find it hard to believe that there are people who would begrudge a returning British citizen a bit of a leg-up to help establish herself in her motherland.

I'd rather pay tax to give a helping hand to people like Easterndawn than Brits who stay put and spend years or decades, or indeed in some instances their whole lives, scrounging off the state.

Last edited by Elvira; Oct 11th 2009 at 5:54 am. Reason: typo
Old Oct 11th 2009, 5:52 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I really find it hard to believe that there are people who would begrudge a returning British citizen a bit of a leg-up to help establish herself in her motherland.

I'd rather pay tax to give a helping hand to people like Easterndawn than Brits who stay put and spend years or decades, or indeed in some instances their whole lives, scrounging off the state.
Hear, hear.

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 11th 2009 at 5:56 am. Reason: Corrected Elvira's typo ;-)
Old Oct 11th 2009, 6:26 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Easterndawn is British, and wants to go back to her roots, to enjoy her home country. She has worked hard and raised a family, why shouldn't she go back to Scotland? If she needs a little bit of help getting herself established, then that's fine. She is actively looking for a job! She and her hubby will be spending their Canadian pensions in Britain -how about that? When I see all that she has accomplished in two weeks, I say
Old Oct 11th 2009, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Oh Easterndawn...how picture-perfect is that...A rooster at dawn... potential chucky-eggs and soldiers to go with it! Oh what joy!

Well,. Relocateme is plodding along with sorting/washing out the cupboards today. It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada..so what better nosh than porridge,tea and dry bread for those of us who lost our high-paying jobs in the last so-called economic crisis...Ho hum:

I did note that ex-brummy heralded the return of the dogs-in-the-manger once again.

Not only lurking around like an old ghost watching and reading the posts (very creepy)..Firstly never having contributed anything of value to the thread and then suddenly ...in for the kill...in red too! what's up with that?

For my part I hereby nominate ex-brummy and Simon Lagree to stand up and be counted.

Strength of cnviction to the cause ...Courage Now Ex-Brummy!!!

Here's what you can do if, and as I see, you are sincerely committed in your views ........

with Easterndaw's brilliant idea you can initiate a "Return of The Heroes" website for those who have spent their time in Canada and are coming home in their later years to a place called home ...

Your own personal cause Ex,...your very own contribution ...think of the good works you can do to help your fellow man ....... hosting your very own centre for us to stay in and helping us obtain that much needed work that is so important to your satisfaction....Oh how your heart yearns to help these returning ones and to finally realize this is your heartfelt vocation....I can see it now...

"Ex- Brummy turns criticism into benevolency"...the headlines speak:

In a complete about face, rogue internet troll steps forward to assist returning expats whose mothers and fathers paid into UK system.

I can visualise you clapping your hands together, tear rolling down those gray sullen cheeks at the prospect of this benevolent and worthy notion.

ande you good yeoman whose limbs were made in England...Let us swear that you are worth your breeding, which I doubt not ..for you are not so mean and base and have not noble luster in your eye..I see you stand like a greyhound in the slips....(Perry Barr dogtrack) straining upon the start...the games afoot...follow your spirit and upon this charge cry..God for Harry!...England! ...and Saint George!!

Old Oct 11th 2009, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
No, the dogs are okay to be there, so that works well. When I was sitting in living room of cottage, the landlord asked if i would have a problem with the rooster next door crowing in the morning, I thought how wonderful, all this and a roooste to wake me up too!!
Best of luck with everything, however roosters do not just crow at dawn, they screech most of the effing day and night :curse:

Last edited by Sally Redux; Oct 11th 2009 at 6:43 am.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

ex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Oh Easterndawn...how picture-perfect is that...A rooster at dawn... potential chucky-eggs and soldiers to go with it! Oh what joy!

Well,. Relocateme is plodding along with sorting/washing out the cupboards today. It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada..so what better nosh than porridge,tea and dry bread for those of us who lost our high-paying jobs in the last so-called economic crisis...Ho hum:

I did note that ex-brummy heralded the return of the dogs-in-the-manger once again.

Not only lurking around like an old ghost watching and reading the posts (very creepy)..Firstly never having contributed anything of value to the thread and then suddenly ...in for the kill...in red too! what's up with that?

For my part I hereby nominate ex-brummy and Simon Lagree to stand up and be counted.

Strength of cnviction to the cause ...Courage Now Ex-Brummy!!!

Here's what you can do if, and as I see, you are sincerely committed in your views ........

with Easterndaw's brilliant idea you can initiate a "Return of The Heroes" website for those who have spent their time in Canada and are coming home in their later years to a place called home ...

Your own personal cause Ex,...your very own contribution ...think of the good works you can do to help your fellow man ....... hosting your very own centre for us to stay in and helping us obtain that much needed work that is so important to your satisfaction....Oh how your heart yearns to help these returning ones and to finally realize this is your heartfelt vocation....I can see it now...

"Ex- Brummy turns criticism into benevolency"...the headlines speak:

In a complete about face, rogue internet troll steps forward to assist returning expats whose mothers and fathers paid into UK system.

I can visualise you clapping your hands together, tear rolling down those gray sullen cheeks at the prospect of this benevolent and worthy notion.

ande you good yeoman whose limbs were made in England...Let us swear that you are worth your breeding, which I doubt not ..for you are not so mean and base and have not noble luster in your eye..I see you stand like a greyhound in the slips....(Perry Barr dogtrack) straining upon the start...the games afoot...follow your spirit and upon this charge cry..God for Harry!...England! ...and Saint George!!

Relocateme

First of all posting in red was not mine but a quote of previous post by Auldjin. Secondly, I acknowledge I was a bit hasty and do apologise for any offence caused. However, to quote Easterndawn " do not judge until you've walked a mile in my shoes". This happened to catch me on a morning when, once again I've spent sleeples nights totting up the old age pension that we have made voluntary contributions to for the twenty six years we been out of the country. Together with what we're trying to save towards the proceeds of sale of our house here (when we sell) to enable us to return to the UK hopefully next year as pensioners. I am not standing like a greyhound in the slips at Perry Barr racetrack. I didn't originate from that part of B'ham never been to the tracks, not my thing.. As for settigg up a centre for returning ex pats. What a great idea, let me know when somebody starts one, me and OH will be first in the queue. Not Scotland though, couldn't stand the cold after twenty six years in sunny South Africa. Think it would kill us. Again I apologise and can assure you I'm not a rogue internet troll nor have I got sullen grey cheeks. Might have them though by the time I've scrimped enough to get together enough money to repatriate. So you see where I'm coming from.

by the way what dya mean God for Harry??? Cry for England and Saint George????
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone on all the good wishes, it has gladdened my heart. Everyone on here has become like familysometimes even better I would say. I am very excited about the cottage, and hope that everything goes well at the benefit office tomorrow. I am glad that I was able to give my husband some good news for a change as he worries a lot about me being here by myself.

I can't wait to cook a meal for myself and have some of the people over for a meal who have really been a great help to me since I arrived here. I am beginning to feel that I am truly home, I know that there will be some more ups and downs in the future but I will winter through them. Spoke with grandson on MSN today, technology is a wonderful thing, I could see and hear him and enjoy his company. My husband and I with, the help of his dad, our youngest boy, raised this young man until the age of ten, so he and I have a very close relationship. Now he lives with his dad, 2 step sisters, 1 step brother, a new half brother and a wonderful step-mom, my daughter-in-law Shawna. It is wonderful when you see your children and grandchildren fulfill their potential.

Again thanks everyone
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:51 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme

For my part I hereby nominate ex-brummy and Simon Lagree to stand up and be counted. :
Well thank you for that. I don't quite know why you included me. I have not said anything about this particular situation. Not a word.

All I asked you to do was to tell us where all the poor truckers were caught up in being booted out of the country. There are quite a few people who are anxious to know the facts. Both of you two ladies were vitriolic in your posts, bad mouthing the Canadian government. I am not a particular fan of the feds but before you spout off about how bad they are you could at least provide some substance to the tale. You said that you would find out more and I trust that you will. There are folks who are waiting to find out. I hope that you will be able to shed more light on the matter very soon.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Good Evening,
I do understand where you are coming from, really I do. I have spent many sleepless nights before and since I arrived worrying over what will happen to us. My husband had visions of when arrived walking through Glasgow with suitcases looking for a place to live. It is a scary thing to do, and especially if you are unsure about finances as we are. We also made voluntary contributions to pensions in our places of employment and with one swift stroke of a pen or someones greed they were wiped out, now we have to depend on the contributions that we made to the government plan and Canada's Old Age pension for the remainder of our lives.

I have never in all of life had to ask for a helping hand for housing, food or anything like that but I was a lot younger, more employable, and healthier. In Canada once my husband stops working my medication alone would cost us over $400 per month, my husbands over $100. Is this the reason I came back, NO, this is where I was born, in my mind I am mostly Canadian, but in my heart I am Scottish from tip to top. Most of us on this forum have or are planning to move back with the hope for a better life, just like either we or our parents did many years ago.

I agree that an agency should be set up for us older people returning back to the Uk, as in the past 2 years it has increased many time over. We have problems that other generations do not have on returning to our homeland. I believe that it should not be run by government though as they would just screw it up. I am seriously thinking of this and if people are interested in letting me know if they would be interested, please let me know.

I hope that your home sells quickly and that you can return with the promise of a wonderful life, take care and we really are nice people on this forum

Originally Posted by ex brummy
Relocateme

First of all posting in red was not mine but a quote of previous post by Auldjin. Secondly, I acknowledge I was a bit hasty and do apologise for any offence caused. However, to quote Easterndawn " do not judge until you've walked a mile in my shoes". This happened to catch me on a morning when, once again I've spent sleeples nights totting up the old age pension that we have made voluntary contributions to for the twenty six years we been out of the country. Together with what we're trying to save towards the proceeds of sale of our house here (when we sell) to enable us to return to the UK hopefully next year as pensioners. I am not standing like a greyhound in the slips at Perry Barr racetrack. I didn't originate from that part of B'ham never been to the tracks, not my thing.. As for settigg up a centre for returning ex pats. What a great idea, let me know when somebody starts one, me and OH will be first in the queue. Not Scotland though, couldn't stand the cold after twenty six years in sunny South Africa. Think it would kill us. Again I apologise and can assure you I'm not a rogue internet troll nor have I got sullen grey cheeks. Might have them though by the time I've scrimped enough to get together enough money to repatriate. So you see where I'm coming from.

Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Obviously Simon you have a good life in Nova Scotia, which is a beautiful province by the way but many of us don't. We have scrimped, saved, put our children through University to end up in dire need, because of pension schemes that were not kept in check by the government of Canada the way they should have been , bitter, yes your very correct in that assumption, a hatred for the government, well I don't really hate anyone not even my ass of an ex husband. As for substance I think you can find that in any news cast, newspaper in Canada.about how bad the government is. Sorry if this ruffles your feathers
Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Well thank you for that. I don't quite know why you included me. I have not said anything about this particular situation. Not a word.

All I asked you to do was to tell us where all the poor truckers were caught up in being booted out of the country. There are quite a few people who are anxious to know the facts. Both of you two ladies were vitriolic in your posts, bad mouthing the Canadian government. I am not a particular fan of the feds but before you spout off about how bad they are you could at least provide some substance to the tale. You said that you would find out more and I trust that you will. There are folks who are waiting to find out. I hope that you will be able to shed more light on the matter very soon.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:10 am
Ping-ponger

Relocateme

Just a thought, but I'm presuming you know that you can buy in additional years to add up to the necessary 30 years' contributions? Can't remember the cost, but in comparison to the additional benefit, it's a better (and safer) return than you'll get on just about any other kind of investment ...
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

ex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
Just a thought, but I'm presuming you know that you can buy in additional years to add up to the necessary 30 years' contributions? Can't remember the cost, but in comparison to the additional benefit, it's a better (and safer) return than you'll get on just about any other kind of investment ...
Thanks for that Dunroving. We have paid for the full years, year by year and believe me it's not been easy but hopefully will pay off. We are so old OH has 44 years contributions, should get a bonus dont ya think!!!
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:28 am
Ping-ponger

Thanks for that Dunroving. We have paid for the full years, year by year and believe me it's not been easy but hopefully will pay off. We are so old OH has 44 years contributions, should get a bonus dont ya think!!!
Then I guess the next question I'd ask is whether you realise you don't need to continue contributing ... the minimum for full pension is now 30 years and so there's no need to pay any extra (I don't think there are benefits to paying VC's other than state pension) ... 44, 45, 46 years of contributions won't get you any more state pension than 30 years, as far as I understand it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.