Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:01 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi again, I just have a question to all the people out there who have already got there U.S. citizenship,
I had my interview last Wednesday and passed and I have an appointment for my oath ceremony next Friday Feb 5th,
But I have checked my status on there USCIS website on line and it still shows me as being in my interview stage,
Does anyone know if this is normal, I'm thinking that they just are too busy to update there site, anyone out there that has had the same thing happen to them?
Thanx in advance for any help or info you could give me,
Rodney.
Don't worry , it will show up.

Jasper, do you have a bank account in the UK? You mentioned you would be getting your US social security and Brit pension. If you have direct deposit you would need a bank account set up. EasternDawn had some trouble finding a bank, but I can't remember which bank she actually opened an account with. Because you have NI number already, it will probably be easier for you. Just wondered if you had kept an account open from your previous life!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Llloyds, but have been told HSBC is easier and can be done from overseas
Originally Posted by Mallory

Jasper, do you have a bank account in the UK? You mentioned you would be getting your US social security and Brit pension. If you have direct deposit you would need a bank account set up. EasternDawn had some trouble finding a bank, but I can't remember which bank she actually opened an account with. Because you have NI number already, it will probably be easier for you. Just wondered if you had kept an account open from your previous life!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Llloyds, but have been told HSBC is easier and can be done from overseas
ED, to save me going through all the posts again, can you please tell me once more what you needed to get your Lloyds account? I have looked at HSBC and they have all these hidden charges/fees/rules, especially trying to do it from the US as they have no branch here where I am.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
ED, to save me going through all the posts again, can you please tell me once more what you needed to get your Lloyds account? I have looked at HSBC and they have all these hidden charges/fees/rules, especially trying to do it from the US as they have no branch here where I am.
I did mine after I got here, and all I had to show was my passport, that was all, took about 10 minutes. Recieved card in about 5 days
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory

Hi Mallory,
Well just last week I phoned Lloyd's bank in U.K. and the main number got me through to this charming young lady of the bank who was speaking from there offices in wales, she had a lovely accent and she was so helpful and seemed to be in no hurry at all to get rid of me which I thought wonderful, anyway I explained to her the whole thing and that I need a bank account opened by June so my U.K. pension and later my U.S. social security can be paid in by direct debit,
She told me that there is no way that I can do it while I am in the U.S. but that I have to wait until I come back home, I told her that I have my N.I. number and a British passport, and also told her that my Mum has had an account at Lloyd's for years, so she said no problem, when you get back home I will need to take my Mum to the bank in Portsmouth and she will just have to tell them that I am living with her and she will need to show proof of utility bills, and I will be able to open an account with no problem,
And she said that in regards to my British pension that starts to be paid to me from June my Birthday, I could either make temporary arrangements with British pension office to be paid into my Mothers account and when I get back home just give them a call to tell them my bank account number,
The problem though that I am thinking about is that means that I will not be able to arrange to get my U.S. social security paid to me in U.K. until after I have arrived in England and I am not sure if that can be done or not, I will have to go into the social security office here in Vegas and get some info from them about that,
I was thinking that what if I just keep my social security payments for now paid as they are into my account here in U.S. like in other words just make no changes right now and then after I am established in the U.K just do it later,
And I dont know if anyone knows can I just say once a month draw what I need from my social security from my bank account in U.S. by either using the atm machine or just going into Lloyd's and getting them to make a transfer once a month from my bank account here, or do you think that would be too complicated, it would just be for a short time like a couple of months maybe until I get the money direct deposit each month to Lloyd's in U.K.
Would appreciate any help on this score from anyone,
Regards Rodney.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:09 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mallory,
Well just last week I phoned Lloyd's bank in U.K. and the main number got me through to this charming young lady of the bank who was speaking from there offices in wales, she had a lovely accent and she was so helpful and seemed to be in no hurry at all to get rid of me which I thought wonderful, anyway I explained to her the whole thing and that I need a bank account opened by June so my U.K. pension and later my U.S. social security can be paid in by direct debit,
She told me that there is no way that I can do it while I am in the U.S. but that I have to wait until I come back home, I told her that I have my N.I. number and a British passport, and also told her that my Mum has had an account at Lloyd's for years, so she said no problem, when you get back home I will need to take my Mum to the bank in Portsmouth and she will just have to tell them that I am living with her and she will need to show proof of utility bills, and I will be able to open an account with no problem,
And she said that in regards to my British pension that starts to be paid to me from June my Birthday, I could either make temporary arrangements with British pension office to be paid into my Mothers account and when I get back home just give them a call to tell them my bank account number,
The problem though that I am thinking about is that means that I will not be able to arrange to get my U.S. social security paid to me in U.K. until after I have arrived in England and I am not sure if that can be done or not, I will have to go into the social security office here in Vegas and get some info from them about that,
I was thinking that what if I just keep my social security payments for now paid as they are into my account here in U.S. like in other words just make no changes right now and then after I am established in the U.K just do it later,
And I dont know if anyone knows can I just say once a month draw what I need from my social security from my bank account in U.S. by either using the atm machine or just going into Lloyd's and getting them to make a transfer once a month from my bank account here, or do you think that would be too complicated, it would just be for a short time like a couple of months maybe until I get the money direct deposit each month to Lloyd's in U.K.
Regards Rodney.
Wondering if you could get an HSBC online bank account here in the US, and then when you move, you get set it up in the UK? Then you could have US social security paid into your online bank account here, and draw out of it in UK. Best to talk to HSBC and ask them though (unless someone else knows more).
Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:45 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Regards Rodney.
Two things, Rodney: Can't your sublet your apartment before the lease runs out? A lot of people do this around where we live, and we have in the past taken on sub-lets from people who needed to move. Think about it: not everyone can change jobs and move in November, therefore sublets are a well-established practice.

Regarding transferring your pension payments: Set up an account with XE Trade. have your US pension paid into your US account and then transfer the money to your UK account when you need it and/or when the exchange rates is favourable. I bet you'l get a better deal than leaving it to the SSA.

Good luck!

Last edited by Elvira; Jan 31st 2010 at 1:47 am.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Hi Rodney,

I opened an account online with www.currencyonline.com and www.HiFx.com Both simple to do and they both called me before I even opened it (like a couple of hours after I had started filling in the form with my phone number) to chat. Really nice, one from the UK and one from New Zealand, both very helpful and friendly. You can give them your account details in the US and your mom's account details in the UK and they will transfer the money for you. I would contact them and ask about it. As for HSBC, I spoke to their US contact, UK contact and International contact people. It left me feeling confused. They have lots of fees/charges/conditions, I decided against them. My sister has an account with Lloyds in the UK, they are very helpful. If it were me, I would leave your SS in your US account for now, when you need it, transfer it via currencyonline, then when you get your Lloyds account opened, email or write to US SS to have it directly debited from then on. You may try calling 1-800-772-1213.

Hi Mallory,
Regards Rodney.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:05 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC has international banking with branches in the US.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
HSBC has international banking with branches in the US.
Maybe more in the West or bigger cities. There are none at all any more in South Carolina!!!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my gosh, I wasn't getting the alerts about new posts here for some reason! I have missed a lot, just went back to about page 78 to catch up with everyone!

So glad things are looking up for you EasternDawn, and thanks for details like the snowdrops and the songbirds, this is killing me! here in the Northeastern USA winter is so cold and so long (i know, I know, nothing like as bad as in midwest or Canada!). Even if it's sunny, as the last few days, I find the ongoing cold really dispiriting, especially the lack of flowers and green....

Congrats to jasper/rodney re citizenship.

Let's hope aes1, easterndawn, and all who are trying, manage to sell houses this spring! My husband and i really are going ahead with the purchase of the small townhouse/condo and planning to put our house on the market, but WHEN it will look half-way presentable, Lord knows! And it will certainly look more homey than all "staged" and whatnot....

ideally should be on the market by start of March (well, ideally now, but no way we can be ready!). And bear in mind, others who are selling in US, that there is this homebuyers' tax credit now, not just for first-time home-buyers but also extended to repeat home-buyers. To qualify you have to have a contract by April 30. So this may spur on some would-be purchasers, one would think.

So at last we are on the way to making my old dream of good long stays in England a reality!

I have been very lucky in that I've been able to go back quite often--two or even three times a year, in recent years--but each time for a short stay. Used to be only a week, then it was more often two weeks, and most recently three weeks. So I won't (I don't think?!) undergo the sense of culture shock and readjustment that has been discussed on this thread. But I am just longing to stay for a good decent real chunk of time like six months, eight months, whatever.

(Frequency of visits back to USA will partly depend on whether our children are able to visit us or if the only way we can see them is by coming back.
This theme keeps cropping up on this thread--having our hearts torn between country we love and children somewhere else!)

Anyway, I'm so glad the discussion continues...do all keep checking in, all the voices here are interesting and helpful and we have so much in common, even if our reasons for being expats are different, and the circumstances of our planned/longed-for/actual return are different too.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
Rodney, I went back in November after living in Florida for over forty years. It was a shock but I think it was good as it was sort of a novelty, then I had all spring and summer to cherish and was quite prepared for the next winter. I do hope you get some lovely time with your mum.
I am in the terrible position that I am so happy to be back in my homeland, and my husband loves it as do my three children who came over as well.
My heartbreak is I have another child who remained in Florida and my mum and two sisters are there as well. The curse of the expat. I cant tell you how many times I have wished that my parents had never emigrated.

for the mentions of Cheshire;
I am in Cheshire, in Alsager, and it is lovely here. Great shopping at Cheshire Oaks as well. Tarporley is lovely too. I like the semi-ruralness of the area, and Beeston castle is a lovely, quiet, remains that can really take your mind to early Britain. I love to go there and think about those who lived before us.

ED, I am still truly amased at the price of food as well. I get so much more food for the money than I ever did back in Florida. And dont get me started on the creams and cheeses. So much fresher...Yum!
Thanx Calle for your note on u went back in November too, and yes I really do hope with all my heart that I have a good lot of years with my Mum, Im really looking forward to it although scared of the big change in my life at my age, talking about weather change that does not bother me too much cause it will be so nice to not have to go through any more Las Vegas summers, do you know the heat from June through September is always over 100 nnormally112 to 115 each day on average, no or little humidity granted unlike the high humidity in Florida, and only 3 inches of rain each year on average, very eextremeheat and dry air is very bad for you, eespeciallyfor the skin,
And in England there is a lot of rain therefore a lot of humidity moisture, can't wait to get there,
My only fear is the change in the country over the years, I would love to close my eyes bang my heals together and like presto be back in England in the
50's & 60's when life was much more uncomplicated when things were just good and simple, but that we all no is impossible, so we take the UK for what it is now and be thankful that we were born in good old England.
Take care
Rodney.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Calle for your note on u went back in November too, and yes I really do hope with all my heart that I have a good lot of years with my Mum, Im really looking forward to it although scared of the big change in my life at my age, talking about weather change that does not bother me too much cause it will be so nice to not have to go through any more Las Vegas summers, do you know the heat from June through September is always over 100 nnormally112 to 115 each day on average, no or little humidity granted unlike the high humidity in Florida, and only 3 inches of rain each year on average, very eextremeheat and dry air is very bad for you, eespeciallyfor the skin,
And in England there is a lot of rain therefore a lot of humidity moisture, can't wait to get there,
My only fear is the change in the country over the years, I would love to close my eyes bang my heals together and like presto be back in England in the
50's & 60's when life was much more uncomplicated when things were just good and simple
, but that we all no is impossible, so we take the UK for what it is now and be thankful that we were born in good old England.
Take care
Rodney.
Yes, back in the days of polio, TB, poverty, limited social services, expensive, limited food choices ... etc. I hear what you are saying, but life in the UK today also has a lot of advantages over life back then. [There may be a lot of positives that you are not even aware of at the moment - here's hoping!]

Oh, just had another thought about life in the 50s and 60s ... injection needles were bloody MASSIVE!!!

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 31st 2010 at 10:31 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Easterndawn;8295757]
Originally Posted by callé
Rodney, I went back in November after living in Florida for over forty years. It was a shock but I think it was good as it was sort of a novelty, then I had all spring and summer to cherish and was quite prepared for the next winter. I do hope you get some lovely time with your mum.
I am in the terrible position that I am so happy to be back in my homeland, and my husband loves it as do my three children who came over as well.
My heartbreak is I have another child who remained in Florida and my mum and two sisters are there as well. The curse of the expat. I cant tell you how many times I have wished that my parents had never emigrated.

for the mentions of Cheshire;
I am in Cheshire, in Alsager, and it is lovely here. Great shopping at Cheshire Oaks as well. Tarporley is lovely too. I like the semi-ruralness of the area, and Beeston castle is a lovely, quiet, remains that can really take your mind to early Britain. I love to go there and think about those who lived before us.

ED, I am still truly amased at the price of food as well. I get so much more food for the money than I ever did back in Florida. And dont get me started on the creams and cheeses. So much fresher...Yum![/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you there, I love strong tasting cheese and found many of the ones in Canada kind of waxy tasting, unless you purchased from the deli and then you paid an arm and a leg or as my kids used to say a hand and a foot for them. I cannot afford to purchase expensive cheese but I have found that even the ones that are on sale are delicious. As for the creams, it is fantastic the different types and tastes there are, makes me wonder what they do with all the cream they have in Canada, what do they use it for???? as you cannot buy decent cream. You used to, I can remember showing my kids that if you took cream and a mason jar, shook it for a while it would turn into butter. Tried it with my grandchildren and no matter how long we shook the jar it didn't change into anything.
Yes Ed I strongly agree with you on the strong tasting cheese we have in UK I love there cheese there every time I go back me & Mum have cheese & crackers now & again 2 or 3 ddifferenttypes of cheeses, stronger tasting then even the most aged cheese over here and as far as the so called cream here OW ------ I remember at Christmas over there we had choc ggateauwith whipped and cclottedcream on top a little of each, well a lot actually
Rodney.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, back in the days of polio, TB, poverty, limited social services, expensive, limited food choices ... etc. I hear what you are saying, but life in the UK today also has a lot of advantages over life back then. [There may be a lot of positives that you are not even aware of at the moment - here's hoping!]

Oh, just had another thought about life in the 50s and 60s ... injection needles were bloody MASSIVE!!!
OK dunroving I surrender, all points you make are true, I guess I was just thinking of the good things, people mostly was on my mind, and thats not saying that people are bad now just different just like they have changed over here in all that time,
And I AM going to think of all the positive things when I return, AND I intend to not dwell on negative things at all. just like I try not to think of all the negative things over here in US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.