Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

If you are travelling on some of the charter companies such as Air Trans ( I think its called that), also Icelandic Air and a few others do not fly past October and don't re start until after middle of May. These are the ones that I know from Canada, also on Icelandic Air the price that they advertise on there site is the price you pay, all taxes etc. have been added.

If I was to fly either of these carriers again I would book early and go with there best class of seat as it is still a good price and you do get many extras, including extra baggage weight. When I came on Icelandic Air, I was quite a bit over on weight and was not asked to pay additional money, it should of cost me over $100. There is a site that will tell you the width of the seat and leg room etc. can't find it on this computer though, it used to be on my favorites

I believe for those bringing pets that there is only one entrance port for pets coming to Uk and that is Heathrow. Also not all carriers are liscensed to bring pets to UK.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

As the subject has turned to airline tickets, I wonder if anybody has any suggestions for me please.

I came to England on April 4th 2009 on a return ticket with Qantas at a cost of $2800.00 AUD AND that was the cheapest at the time!!

So I will obviously be returning there on the return ticket, but to come back here from Australia is (as you can see) MEGA expensive, I was thinking about buying a return ticket here in England where there are some great deals - some at half the price of the above and just using the return half to get back here......is that allowed?

Thanks Barb
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought but for anyone who is flying from the US...we have a friendly travel agent Cindyabs. She may be able to find you the best fare and route.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just a thought but for anyone who is flying from the US...we have a friendly travel agent Cindyabs. She may be able to find you the best fare and route.
Great, thanks! Glad I brought up this subject. Also, Relocateme, never thought about making the return leg shorter. Will have to look into that. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, all comments are duly noted. I am still making my deadline end March, but I am preparing - just in case - for the higher season thereafter. My flight never seems to get any discounts, I have to fly to Teesside!!! From Charleston!!! And no, other nearby airports are too far - especially this time with heavy baggage to think of. Although usually I go via Amsterdam, and Schiphol is my favourite aiport because it has a cool grocery store next to the train station (run out and in again, know what and where you are going otherwise you won't make it in time!), which is where I buy my yummy Dutch chocolate at much cheaper prices!!

That brings me to a second question. Can anyone recommend a brand and style of lightweight luggage? On wheels of course, but there are, I believe, some new ones out there weighing much less empty than the older styles. And weight for lugging around is an important consideration if female, traveling alone. I am talking about checked in and carry on.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Great, thanks! Glad I brought up this subject. Also, Relocateme, never thought about making the return leg shorter. Will have to look into that. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, all comments are duly noted. I am still making my deadline end March, but I am preparing - just in case - for the higher season thereafter. My flight never seems to get any discounts, I have to fly to Teesside!!! From Charleston!!! And no, other nearby airports are too far - especially this time with heavy baggage to think of. Although usually I go via Amsterdam, and Schiphol is my favourite aiport because it has a cool grocery store next to the train station (run out and in again, know what and where you are going otherwise you won't make it in time!), which is where I buy my yummy Dutch chocolate at much cheaper prices!!

That brings me to a second question. Can anyone recommend a brand and style of lightweight luggage? On wheels of course, but there are, I believe, some new ones out there weighing much less empty than the older styles. And weight for lugging around is an important consideration if female, traveling alone. I am talking about checked in and carry on.
The new poly carb cases with zips are the lightest. Make sure it has 4 wheels...then you can literally push it along with one finger. Samsonite and Tumi are amonst the best IMO...although you can find much cheaper ones.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:06 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Yes, that's what I have found. But Feb and March being soon upon us, I was wondering about the following months. If you do a return, does the price change depending on when the imaginary return is?
Try opening multiple windows and using differing dates. I know I was going one summer to UK and put in two weeks for the return date, then I put in 3 weeks and the price dropped $200. Maybe you can put the return date after all the schools start back up in September.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:13 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The new poly carb cases with zips are the lightest. Make sure it has 4 wheels...then you can literally push it along with one finger. Samsonite and Tumi are amonst the best IMO...although you can find much cheaper ones.
I love the Samonsite (huge, lightweight) 4-wheeler suitcase which I bought at a great price in TK Maxx (or TJ Maxx). Unfortunately my husband sneakily took it with him on his return trip to Singapore last week....

Also try Marshalls for suitcases.

Top tip: Buy a luggage weighing scale, which you attach to the suitcase handle - I bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond. You can buy a manual 'clock' face one, but the best and more accurate ones are the digital ones and they don't cost that much more - approx $20 but BB&B are always issuing those discount coupons.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=14704795

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=14337407

I think that most department stores with luggage depts will probably also sell the scales, also amazon.com and amazon.co.uk

Last edited by Englishmum; Jan 15th 2010 at 1:18 am.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Over sixty and dealing with age problems that scare me and sometimes make me think I will never get home and the fact that when the opportunity did arise to go home I did not take it.
I was told today that I have arthitis in both hips nothing too bad at the moment but I also have knee problems likely to get worse. What makes me sad is that I see my dreams slowly fading one at a time. First the house not selling then my brother dies my sister in law is very ill three of my best friends died in just over 18months.
My husband retires next week. You might say thats great but we always planned that he would retire when the house was sold and we where ready to get on the plane also him still working gave us extra money so we would be able to spend on the move and all those extras.
My hip problems may not seem so bad but I always dreamed of taking long walks with my dogs down country lanes and meeting friends. Silly really but now I see the walk will not take place my hips and bad knee's will not stand the wear and tear.
My husband does not understand any of this it all fly's over his head.
Sorry for the moan
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Over sixty and dealing with age problems that scare me and sometimes make me think I will never get home and the fact that when the opportunity did arise to go home I did not take it.
I was told today that I have arthitis in both hips nothing too bad at the moment but I also have knee problems likely to get worse. What makes me sad is that I see my dreams slowly fading one at a time. First the house not selling then my brother dies my sister in law is very ill three of my best friends died in just over 18months.
My husband retires next week. You might say thats great but we always planned that he would retire when the house was sold and we where ready to get on the plane also him still working gave us extra money so we would be able to spend on the move and all those extras.
My hip problems may not seem so bad but I always dreamed of taking long walks with my dogs down country lanes and meeting friends. Silly really but now I see the walk will not take place my hips and bad knee's will not stand the wear and tear.
Sorry for the moan
If you have good US healthcare insurance I would get your hip and knees sorted out before you go back to the UK.

My mum is disabled with knee problems...I have knee problems and I've always thought I would get surgery before I left the US. Simply because I could decide on elective surgery today and get it done next week.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:50 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the moan
I can see exactly what youn mean. As you get past a certain age, ones own mortality becomes real and any extra year overseas is an extra year away from 'home' and real friends and family. If you are over 50 and facing around 20 more years (or less!), then this is quite significant.

When those close to you are ill or pass away, it makes it even more acute and brings its own feelings and pressures.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Its not so much having the operations it's like Victor wrote I feel like things are slipping past me and there is not much I can do about it. its like being on a bus and its going past all the stops where you want to get off.
You look to the future and you think well I am 66 no but how many good years have I got left. Might be many but who knows. I get annoyed and inpatient I think of wasted years. These past 3 years have been like living in limbo.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 5:45 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Its not so much having the operations it's like Victor wrote I feel like things are slipping past me and there is not much I can do about it. its like being on a bus and its going past all the stops where you want to get off.
You look to the future and you think well I am 66 no but how many good years have I got left. Might be many but who knows. I get annoyed and inpatient I think of wasted years. These past 3 years have been like living in limbo.
Might sound flippant, its not meant to be, but I see life metaphorically as like being like a football match.

When you are in your 20's there is loads of time left to play, size up the opposition and decide your tactics. Things seem more positive and anything is possible.

Once you get past 35 you are playing in the 2nd half. If you are losing the match, there isnt much time to rectify things.

Choosing the right options/game play starts to become more significant, making mistakes even more so. Rectifying mistake takes time and becomes more difficult.

As the game goes on, the faculties you have to pull into play become more limited in many ways.

There is also the outside chance that the game could be cut short by bad weather! (again metaphorically).

If the game goes to extra time, thats great, but who knows?

Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:33 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Might sound flippant, its not meant to be, but I see life metaphorically as like being like a football match.

When you are in your 20's there is loads of time left to play, size up the opposition and decide your tactics. Things seem more positive and anything is possible.

Once you get past 35 you are playing in the 2nd half. If you are losing the match, there isnt much time to rectify things.

Choosing the right options/game play starts to become more significant, making mistakes even more so. Rectifying mistake takes time and becomes more difficult.

As the game goes on, the faculties you have to pull into play become more limited in many ways.

There is also the outside chance that the game could be cut short by bad weather! (again metaphorically).

If the game goes to extra time, thats great, but who knows?

You're not a PE teacher by any chance, are you?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Trottytrue, and others........I relate only too well. I am not even 60 yet (59 next month), but still, I see myself almost in a cage, looking out at the world I want to be in, for the last year, since making the decision to leave the US, and even longer, since divorce, back problems etc, etc. Although I consider myself in excellent health generally (no daily pills or meds), and some days think I am only 20, physically, my body is letting me know otherwise -little by little. This last year I have put out my SI joint (sacro-iliac joint) at least 4 times, the worst being when I had just arrived in Germany in May. If anyone has had this, you will know that the pain gets you suddenly, like someone has just stabbed you, you can't breathe, you can't move, and then the pains continue like intense labor pains, finally wearing off to dull aches and intermittent sharp pains. And with no health insurance.........need I say more? It is only my own diagnosis of my problem. I am hoping that is all that is wrong. Then there is the knee that I injured when I fell on the ice one year, and the neck ache from the same fall - all minor problems, but nevertheless worrysome. So I understand completely, TrottyTrue, what you say about wasted years, long walks, little money, etc. I just reconnected this week with a dear, dear friend, with whom I had lost contact for many years. Only by email though, as she lives 8 hours away from me now. She told me her daughter, whom I remember as a child, was killed in a car accident in 2002. She was 21 years old. I knew nothing of this all these years, and hearing of it now is a huge shock. Such a tragic loss. My friend's husband, aged 60 is in deteriorating health, now on oxygen most days. We are reminded of our mortality in many ways. I crave, I pine, I yearn to get back to Europe, to go back home. I know many of us do, and what irony that the one thing that we probably dreamed about and were so happy to have - that we thought we might never have in our own country - a big house with all the trimmings - is now an albatross around our neck.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

baldyfrank is an unknown quantity at this point

After 5 years in Norway, my wife and I will return to UK in 2011. The reason being that it is to expensive to live here indefinitely.And I am coming up to retirement age, and the English state pension will not go far here.
As we are both British citizens born and bred in UK, are there anything we need to do before moving back,besides informing customs
We are wondering whether to buy or rent.
As I am 63 perhaps renting might be better thus protecting our capital. if we buy it would have to be cash as no mortgage at our age. That would leave us with little savings and only my pensions to support us, state pension and a very small company pension
We will probably move somewhere-in Bromsgrove Worcs, probably a flat.
Any advice also on moving and storing our stuff untill we get suitable accommodation?
Any advice gratefully accepted,
Ha det godt alle sammen,
(take care all)
frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.