Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi trottytrue, My interview is this Wednesday in just two days, I feel comfortable with all the questions, just hope it all goes nice and smooth,
keep your fingers crossed for me, and I will do the same for you on 10th Feb,
Rodney.
PS I will give you and everyone a quick run through of my interview experience and tell you how it all went for me after Its all over,
Don't worry, it really is easy........and congrats in advance!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:23 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi trottytrue, My interview is this Wednesday in just two days, I feel comfortable with all the questions, just hope it all goes nice and smooth,
keep your fingers crossed for me, and I will do the same for you on 10th Feb,
Rodney.
PS I will give you and everyone a quick run through of my interview experience and tell you how it all went for me after Its all over,
I'm sure it'll go really well. The man who did my interview and asked all the test question was really nice, he was all excited he'd had two people from Europe in one morning and said he was scheduled to see another after lunch. He then apologized for making me read and then write a sentence in English. Oh I also got one wrong or maybe it was two I was so nervous
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper good luck I am sure you will do fine. Let us know how the interview goes. Not sure why it takes 2hours.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Jasper good luck I am sure you will do fine. Let us know how the interview goes. Not sure why it takes 2hours.
Our actual USC interviews took approx 15 mins.

Interview times are given en masse...there will be several dozen people or more arrive at the same time. Therefore the 2 hour period is the approximate time you can expect to wait. You may be lucky and be one of the first to be called in.

We also had our oath ceremony the same afternoon as the interview. So even the first ones to be interviewed had to wait a couple of ours until all the interviews had been completed...then the oath ceremony began.

Good luck.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:39 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Barb, thanx for your reply, a lot of helpful info for when my time comes in November to return to U.K. and congrats on your new Job, it sounds lovely,
Rodney.
No worries Rodney, I hope it helped in some way to take away the "fear" we all have about embarking on this adventure when we are no longer spring chickens

Good luck for your homecoming, November will be here before you know it.

Barb
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:00 am
Just Joined

maureenb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
RELOCATEME: has never been that connection for me here, I can hear a UK dialect wither it be English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh from a mile away and my guts just clench in that familiar way that tells you you ah here is someone from "hame".

:
I fully understand listening for dialects. We are seniours that are planning on returning "home" after being in Canada for 45 years our kids have already returned there, so what are we waiting for! I realise that there is so much to plan, where to go...thinking of Southport Lancs, property...should we buy flat or rent.
Does anyone know if we would pay taxes on out Canadian pensions there, or do we still have to file in Canada? I have so many questions but this is a start

Maureen
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Maureen and welcome to the forum, as far as my husband knows you don't file in Canada.
Originally Posted by maureenb
I fully understand listening for dialects. We are seniours that are planning on returning "home" after being in Canada for 45 years our kids have already returned there, so what are we waiting for! I realise that there is so much to plan, where to go...thinking of Southport Lancs, property...should we buy flat or rent.
Does anyone know if we would pay taxes on out Canadian pensions there, or do we still have to file in Canada? I have so many questions but this is a start

Maureen
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to the governement website that should give you the information that you need http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts.../nnrs-eng.html

Originally Posted by maureenb

Maureen
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Our actual USC interviews took approx 15 mins.

Interview times are given en masse...there will be several dozen people or more arrive at the same time. Therefore the 2 hour period is the approximate time you can expect to wait. You may be lucky and be one of the first to be called in.

We also had our oath ceremony the same afternoon as the interview. So even the first ones to be interviewed had to wait a couple of ours until all the interviews had been completed...then the oath ceremony began.

Good luck.
Hi Jerseygirl, trottytrue, mummy in the foothills, aesi, and Barb, and everyone else,
Thanx sooooo much to ya all for all your support and advice on my U.S. citizenship interview tomorrow Wednesday,
I love this thread, everyone is wonderful, I have been here since it began for the over 50,s and thanx trottytrue for starting this thread, it WAS you was it not who started it?
Rodney.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:02 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jerseygirl, trottytrue, mummy in the foothills, aesi, and Barb, and everyone else,
Thanx sooooo much to ya all for all your support and advice on my U.S. citizenship interview tomorrow Wednesday,
I love this thread, everyone is wonderful, I have been here since it began for the over 50,s and thanx trottytrue for starting this thread, it WAS you was it not who started it?
Rodney.
Quite right Rodney, it's a great thread. One that's REALLY been needed for a long time (to deal with issues that middle-aged and older may face). I personally would like to see some nice mod come along and 'pin' it so it doesn't get lost. The topic will continue to be relevant for as long as there is BE and expats/newbies seeking to relocate to UK after 40.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:53 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

I guess you are (at the time of writing) at the USCIS office right now having your interview, test and possibly taking the oath?

I'm sure you will pass with flying colours!

All the Best...and congratulations in advance!

(How do you plan to celebrate? Have you got some champagne on ice?)

Englishmum
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:07 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aes1
Thanks, I looked at that. My problem however seems not to be the house itself, rather it is the neighborhood. My realtor did a second Open House yesterday. The first time, in November, 2 people showed. This time, and it was a neighborhood Open House with 2 other houses showing, only one person showed. Each time someone does com, they love my house (very modern, IKEA ( I put in a new kitchen, also bamboo floors), no clutter, and bright and airy), but they question the neighborhood. Although I (here as a single woman) have found it very safe and quiet, it is mixed (black/white), which here in the deep South, does seem to bother some people. Also, the house across the street from mine (bigger and with more acreage) is now owned (sold after I move into mine) by a young man with his own landscaping business. There are no covenants against this. He is really nice, not noisy, but you can see his trucks parked at the side, and piles of wood etc which he occasionally brings back from jobs. He did build a six foot fence, but there is no gate so you can see in. Nothing I can do about the neighborhood. Here, the cheaper houses are selling, but nothing else is moving much.
aes1, have you looked for your house - or rather a property in your area / district - as would a prospective buyer?
Does it show up in internet searches or in sites like zillow and homes.com ?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by J.J
aes1, have you looked for your house - or rather a property in your area / district - as would a prospective buyer?
Does it show up in internet searches or in sites like zillow and homes.com ?
Yes, I have and yes it does show up. I have to be patient. Mine is not the only house not selling, it's just the way things are here. Hopefully things will look up in a month or two.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Yes, I have and yes it does show up. I have to be patient. Mine is not the only house not selling, it's just the way things are here. Hopefully things will look up in a month or two.
Sorry, OT question, but can you tell me how to pull up a valuation on Zillow for a specific house? I know you can do it, but can't figure it out ... [maybe pm me if you don't want to take the thread off topic]
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:56 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Sorry, OT question, but can you tell me how to pull up a valuation on Zillow for a specific house? I know you can do it, but can't figure it out ... [maybe pm me if you don't want to take the thread off topic]
Just go to www.zillow.com Then type the address in where it says: Find Homes, and hit go. It should bring the house up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.