Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Tanto
Thank you all for sharing your family horror stories - they have put mine into much better perspective (although they still keep me awake at night)!!
Can't believe how quickly this thread moves - will have to speed up my replies....

Relocateme - Great progress on clearing your house - I get overwhelmed just reading about it. And thank you for the Christmas Story - unbelievable!!!
Trottytrue - Glad your husband's situation has settled and you are continuing with your plans -sounds absolutely like the right thing to do.
Am giving some thought to your comment about people not liking their space invaded.....
Taffy - Also giving thought to imposing on people - I was trying to re-connect with family and looking forward to being around company (as opposed to here and almost solitude). Staying in a caravan - very good idea!
ED - Well done on your first day of work! Hope you can get the transport/moving situation sorted very soon.

Any thoughts about where this repat centre should be? I found a lovely, small hotel for sale in Banff but it seemed a little out of the way.....
Tanto
Hi Tanto, yes this thread really does move fast doesn't it, if you miss a couple of days you really have a lot of catching up to do, its certainly better then reading a newspaper, everyone has there own personal stories, everyones reason for moving back home are different, but we all have fears at first but its wonderful that we have this thread that trottytrue started back in September, we all share our stories, some are absolutely heart breaking and some are happy ones, but we all share and help each other, I know that when before I joined this over 50,s & 60's thread a lot of us were chatting on another thread on this forum ---- but I cant remember which one it was now, and then it was suggested that this thread should be born and so it was,
Christmas stories, I have none to share cause although I go back to England and my family every 3 to 5 years I have never once in all these 36 years over here been able to get back for christmas, but this next one coming up this year I am so happy that I will be with my family this christmas,
And to the thought of people not liking there space invaded, well yes family sometimes is like that, I have a pretty good relationship with my Sister back there but I dont think I would be welcome there like living there for a long period of time, me and Mum traveled from Portsmouth to Plymouth by bus 5 years ago when I was last home, and we stayed one week with my Sister and her 42 year old Son,
and it went good but I got the feeling that I would not be welcome for an extended stay, now with me when I go home as I will be living with my Mum in her house I know that we get on well together and that we will be able to live together without getting on each others nerves, cause when ever she has come over to visit me in USA over the years she has always stayed with me for two and a half months each time, and we always got on together and had a great time over here,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
I am so sorry things did'nt work out, and I understand everything you have said above, as it could relate to my own story. I am returning also, as I am missing my kids and grandkids terribly. My husband and I keep doing the lottery hoping, they say money dos'nt make you happy, but it certainly makes life easier!!!!, and Australia is a long way, and expensive. I now feel though that I will settle better when I go back as i realise what really is important to me (it took me to come back here to realise that) god bless for the future, you tried it and will have your memories to share with your family back in AustraliaDenise
Hi Denise,
So you have tried to be away from your family but it doesn't work does it, just like Barb you just miss them so much, but the main thing is you tried to make it work in U.K. you followed your dreams at the time, but as Barb said circumstances and feelings change, and life just happens, so is it Canada your going back to? sorry but I think that was where you said that you were from,
Anyway and good luck on returning to your family, by the way when are you going back? shortly like Barb?
Regards,
Rodney.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:14 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I have been lying (and feeling) a bit low this past week except of course to pop in and welcome the new people and of course to congratulate our ED on her new job.

The reason is that I have now changed my own plans and will be heading back to Australia on April 1st to live for good.

Of course I am happy to be seeing my kids and grand-kids but I admit to having a heavy heart at leaving my beloved country.

I was supposed to be going back, selling up and buying a ticket to come back here, however as the time has got nearer to my departure date, I have faced up to the enormity of what I was contemplating, plus having to say goodbye to my kids and grand-kids at the airport all over again and believe me it was bad enough last year when none of us knew what I was doing.........

The problem is that unlike Canada and the USA the miles and the cost between here and Australia make it prohibitive except for occasional visits.

There is no way my daughter, partner and her kids could ever afford to visit me here, even my son and his partner would probably find it a struggle except for maybe once every 5 years.

That means the onus would be on me to go back to see them, and that is a big burden, finding all that money because of course you can't just go for a weekend or even a week and I am just in an ordinary paying job with not too much money behind me.

I chose to live where I have lived since coming back, first the Lake District and then here in Somerset and it has been fantastic, I have loved it. Unfortunately I am still far away from my English family and I really haven't seen as much of them as I would like.

My daughter sent me some pics last week and I can't believe how much my grand-kids have grown in just this short time, I really do miss them (more than my own kids if the truth be known!! )

If I had a million quid in the bank, then my decision would surely be much different than it is. However I don't have the kind of money to be able to flit between the two countries and so have decided that my destiny is to be in Australia, where let's face it, I took my kids to live in the first place. As one of my friends put it, sometimes we have to compromise.

Things change, circumstances alter, feelings take over and life happens.............but I will never forget my 12 months back in England and loving the place I live.
Barb, I am where you were 12 months ago. I feel it is time to go home and see what it feels like. Despite annual holidays it hasn't been enough for me to get over my homesickness. We moved to Brisbane for a year and I missed the children and grandchildren (especially) so we moved back to Canberra. Since we have been back our children have been busy with their own lives and careers. I feel like I'm always waiting for something.
It was so good to read you post and know that someone else has the same angst, why does compromise have to feel so horrible. Like you we brought our children here when they were very small and we were very naive. Time has moved on (34 years). There was never the right time to go back before...is there ever a right time? Maybe the best thing is to try it for a little while. You did it, you are so brave and you will always know that at least you gave it a go. My children always say they just want me to be happy, I wish it were that easy. I know the country has changed, friends and family move on but somethings don't change. The history, the smell of the grass, the spring flowers and the feeling of being in the right place, the right way up

DJ, what part of NI is your sister in my family are all over there. I spent some of my teenage years in Lisburn but left when the 'troubles' started in 1969 and joined the WRAF.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aes1
Hi everyone! I am finally back from a trip to Greenville, SC where I lived for 18 years - goodbye to friends, collect optician's records, reference from place I used to work at, see my son and get help buying a laptop, carryon luggage, etc, etc. Then drove back home and left next morning for sunny Sarasota, Florida, to stay with my long lost girlfriend and hubby who lost their daughter, Emma, 8 yrs ago at age 21 (car accident). We spent a lot of time crying, reminiscing, and most of all relaxing. They have a house on the bay, overlooking the Gulf, surrounded by water (an octagon shape), a dock with kayaks, a boat, outdoor totally screened in heated swimming pool, on an acre of tropical plants, with an apartment downstairs for me to use!!! I told them I was going to become a squatter!!! It was still cold for Florida but beautiful just the same and sunny every day. I saw porpoises, herons, a bald eagle......really paradise!!! My flight yesterday back home to Charleston was cancelled, that meant five more hours in paradise, then some delays, finally home late last night. I couldn't believe how many pages on here I had missed!! Really don't have time to read each and every post, so I apologize for missing anything and send to all those with good news ...... and for all those with sad news.

A tiny update on me.........having relaxed, I am continuing with plan A, foreclosing on house, flying home March 24, staying a few weeks with my sister, then we both fly to Malta (she for a couple of weeks) to look for a flat for me to rent for six months. See if I can get a job there, cost of living is definitely less than in the UK, plus the weather is better! And tons of expats!!! If I can't survive there, I will then return to the UK somewhere. Easy enough to fly back. Meantime, now have to get the whip out and sell more stuff, have two yard sales, sell car, cancel utilities, visit dentist last time, work through all my 'to do' lists, and most importantly, BREATHE!!!! 21 days to go!!!!
aesi
Wow you have been very busy lately, not long to go now just 21 days, but still lots to do & sell, when I leave I will have to sell a lot of stuff too and also my car, if you dont mind can I ask you how you intend in selling your car? newspaper ad for private sell or maybe taking it in to a dealership and getting them to buy it off you for cash, some do that, I sold a car years ago like that,
And the other thing I would like to ask you, your Son who is going to help pick out a lap top for you, he is probably very computer savvy, could you let me know of the best type to buy to use in England but buying it over here in U.S.
TAKE CARE and good luck on everything,
Rodney.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasper123
aesi
Wow you have been very busy lately, not long to go now just 21 days, but still lots to do & sell, when I leave I will have to sell a lot of stuff too and also my car, if you dont mind can I ask you how you intend in selling your car? newspaper ad for private sell or maybe taking it in to a dealership and getting them to buy it off you for cash, some do that, I sold a car years ago like that,
And the other thing I would like to ask you, your Son who is going to help pick out a lap top for you, he is probably very computer savvy, could you let me know of the best type to buy to use in England but buying it over here in U.S.
TAKE CARE and good luck on everything,
Rodney.
Wow, again, I stop to breathe, and I have missed three pages!!! Barb, so sorry you are leaving the UK, but family is important too, and unfortunately we can't cut ourselves in half. It does seem that we expats are destined to ping pong. Rodney, to answer your question re my car. I am selling it privately, advertising on Craigs list - this morning I put the ad on, I have someone looking tomorrow and three others waiting. I looked at Kelly's Blue Book price for private party and priced it that way. I will also advertise in the local paper if necessary a little nearer my departure date. Yes, my son is a computer genius (of course I can think that, I am his mother!!), and I ended up with a Gateway, 15 inch screen. It seemed the best value for the price, I had to buy in the bottom price range. Any laptop will work in the UK, you just need a DC converter to last longer, and a plug adaptor. I wanted something with a good webcam for skype, also not too heavy, and that I can carry without too much trouble on the plane.
ED, you go girl, your first day behind you, smooth sailing now on in, and especially once you move closer to work. Soon have hubby join you I hope.
Another looker at the house tomorrow, everyone send good vibes please, I am running out of time.........
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Nolimits--yes, in my mind at any rate it will not be a permanent move, but just going for longer periods and seeing what that's like; tho of course the first time we stay in UK for more than just a holiday my American husband will have to have the spouse settlement visa ...

so we have to start working on that paperwork at some point.

However, selling the house is the first hurdle. Spring's on the way, I am hopeful!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aes1

Another looker at the house tomorrow, everyone send good vibes please, I am running out of time.........
Woh....Vibes! Vibes!...from Relocateme coming your way from Starbuck Manitoba Canada to South Carolina ...all the best on this aes1 for this particular house showing...everything crossed now for you :f ingerscrossed:

You really deserve to have this house move for you now...I am praying

ED you got the first one done Bravo!..just a thought...have the company got any accomms going for staff that would get you over there while you work in the week and to look for a place?

Tanto...as I recall we started discussing the expat hotel thing around post 536 (had a quick look) needs to be fairly near an aiport for the Oz returnees as well ..Dont they only fly into London...dont know really but they have to crash right away dont they due to being tired from that long flight

Also requires permanent staffer on site I should think to do upkeep and bills

A network of ppl might also work if say they were already established in UK..they could take one in who had no home, then they could help the repat by putting the repat up for awhile and having some info to hand to get them going...just my 10cents worth:
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Barb, I am where you were 12 months ago. I feel it is time to go home and see what it feels like. Despite annual holidays it hasn't been enough for me to get over my homesickness. We moved to Brisbane for a year and I missed the children and grandchildren (especially) so we moved back to Canberra. Since we have been back our children have been busy with their own lives and careers. I feel like I'm always waiting for something.
It was so good to read you post and know that someone else has the same angst, why does compromise have to feel so horrible. Like you we brought our children here when they were very small and we were very naive. Time has moved on (34 years). There was never the right time to go back before...is there ever a right time? Maybe the best thing is to try it for a little while. You did it, you are so brave and you will always know that at least you gave it a go. My children always say they just want me to be happy, I wish it were that easy. I know the country has changed, friends and family move on but somethings don't change. The history, the smell of the grass, the spring flowers and the feeling of being in the right place, the right way up

DJ, what part of NI is your sister in my family are all over there. I spent some of my teenage years in Lisburn but left when the 'troubles' started in 1969 and joined the WRAF.
Hi, my sister lives not too far from Lisburn, its Finaghy road south, and upper malone road, my daughter also lived in Lisburn, before moving to Cork, she lived (I can't remember the name now) but it was close to the big tesco store. Is'nt it a small world? We left in 1971 to go to australia, I married there, returned to belfast in 1973, left again in 1976 to go to Canada, and finally returned to belfast in 1985. I also lived in Trossachs (the name of the area) beside my sister. We got married in Adelaide, but I was only 18years old and very homesick at the time, I was a £10 pomme too haha
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Denise,
So you have tried to be away from your family but it doesn't work does it, just like Barb you just miss them so much, but the main thing is you tried to make it work in U.K. you followed your dreams at the time, but as Barb said circumstances and feelings change, and life just happens, so is it Canada your going back to? sorry but I think that was where you said that you were from,
Anyway and good luck on returning to your family, by the way when are you going back? shortly like Barb?
Regards,
Rodney.
Hi rodney, I am actually in Canada at the moment. We first came here in 1976, but returned to Ireland when my dad passed to look after mum, and the years passed, but we always wanted to return to Canada, and we did in August 09. My family though are all back in Ireland, with good jobs, so I discouraged them from coming over, as you know, with the economy as it is, I did'nt want them making any mistakes, but i am missing them so much, and we are finding it very lonely here, it's harder when your older to make friends I think unless you are working. So we are going to take a small holiday to the states, try and get some golf in, and then return approx. August. We are going back in April for a few weeks for my grandaughters first communion,and will have alook at rental property then.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 4:47 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi, my sister lives not too far from Lisburn, its Finaghy road south, and upper malone road, my daughter also lived in Lisburn, before moving to Cork, she lived (I can't remember the name now) but it was close to the big tesco store. Is'nt it a small world? We left in 1971 to go to australia, I married there, returned to belfast in 1973, left again in 1976 to go to Canada, and finally returned to belfast in 1985. I also lived in Trossachs (the name of the area) beside my sister. We got married in Adelaide, but I was only 18years old and very homesick at the time, I was a £10 pomme too haha
Hi Denise, I probably drove past your sister's when I was home last year, we stayed in a holiday house in the Malone Road, it is such a beautiful part of Belfast. I was in Belfast July last year as my sister was very ill unfortunately she died just after we got back to Australia. As you probably remember at that time of the year the flags are flying high everywhere and I suddenly remembered why I left. I do love the South but as you said it is expensive, we might go there later this year for a little visit. Gosh you were a year younger than I was when you got married, what were we thinking, Chris was only 19 as well, he couldn't even hire a car Doesn't time fly, here we are talking about retirement and grandchildren, did I fall asleep and suddenly get older. Lovely to hear all the great stories in this forum. By the way I have just had my afternoon cuppa as I type, nearly time to get dinner ready. Don't feel so lonely anymore
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Hi Denise, I probably drove past your sister's when I was home last year, we stayed in a holiday house in the Malone Road, it is such a beautiful part of Belfast. I was in Belfast July last year as my sister was very ill unfortunately she died just after we got back to Australia. As you probably remember at that time of the year the flags are flying high everywhere and I suddenly remembered why I left. I do love the South but as you said it is expensive, we might go there later this year for a little visit. Gosh you were a year younger than I was when you got married, what were we thinking, Chris was only 19 as well, he couldn't even hire a car Doesn't time fly, here we are talking about retirement and grandchildren, did I fall asleep and suddenly get older. Lovely to hear all the great stories in this forum. By the way I have just had my afternoon cuppa as I type, nearly time to get dinner ready. Don't feel so lonely anymore
Oh How I agree with you, seems not so long ago, I had my first baby, now she has 3 of her ownI have 7 grandkids and 2 on the way, it really makes me feel old haha, but I love them all and would'nt be without them, yes it is nice to e able to talk to people here, everyone is so supportive, it's great. Enjoy your dinner, it's bedtime here,
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 5:50 pm
Honeybun

Honeybun will become famous soon enoughHoneybun will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nolimits
Re care homes - it is a real worry. over here (UK) there was a programme on tv a few months ago where a reporter went undercover. It was alarming and sad. I visited my aunt in a care home a couple of years ago, she was so frail and wanted to use the comode, I had to ask them 3 times to help me and then they left her on the comode for 20 mins, despite my asking them to come and help ( at one point there were 3 carers just standing round the reception area. Eventually she burst into tears and said I am so sore. It broke my heart. When I bent to give her a kiss goodbye she said I shan't see you again ( I lived 200 miles away) She died a few weeks later. I am looking for a part-time job at the moment and I am wondering If I should do some care work myself. They are crying out for care workers in West Sussex.
That is so sad Nolimits and my heart goes out to all people in care homes. You sound a caring person and should make a good care-worker. I am sure they would be glad of any help
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 6:03 pm
Honeybun

Honeybun will become famous soon enoughHoneybun will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I have been lying (and feeling) a bit low this past week except of course to pop in and welcome the new people and of course to congratulate our ED on her new job.

The reason is that I have now changed my own plans and will be heading back to Australia on April 1st to live for good.

Of course I am happy to be seeing my kids and grand-kids but I admit to having a heavy heart at leaving my beloved country.

I was supposed to be going back, selling up and buying a ticket to come back here, however as the time has got nearer to my departure date, I have faced up to the enormity of what I was contemplating, plus having to say goodbye to my kids and grand-kids at the airport all over again and believe me it was bad enough last year when none of us knew what I was doing.........

The problem is that unlike Canada and the USA the miles and the cost between here and Australia make it prohibitive except for occasional visits.

There is no way my daughter, partner and her kids could ever afford to visit me here, even my son and his partner would probably find it a struggle except for maybe once every 5 years.

That means the onus would be on me to go back to see them, and that is a big burden, finding all that money because of course you can't just go for a weekend or even a week and I am just in an ordinary paying job with not too much money behind me.

I chose to live where I have lived since coming back, first the Lake District and then here in Somerset and it has been fantastic, I have loved it. Unfortunately I am still far away from my English family and I really haven't seen as much of them as I would like.

My daughter sent me some pics last week and I can't believe how much my grand-kids have grown in just this short time, I really do miss them (more than my own kids if the truth be known!! )

If I had a million quid in the bank, then my decision would surely be much different than it is. However I don't have the kind of money to be able to flit between the two countries and so have decided that my destiny is to be in Australia, where let's face it, I took my kids to live in the first place. As one of my friends put it, sometimes we have to compromise.

Things change, circumstances alter, feelings take over and life happens.............but I will never forget my 12 months back in England and loving the place I live.
Just trying to catch up on all the news from people as I dont have much time to get on the computer (work full time and lots of travelling) Well what a decision this has been for you. It must feel like you are torn in two and dont know which way to turn. Well you have done it, so well done and maybe, just maybe one day you will win the lotto and be able to help with the travelling. Its a very hard decision and I know if I go back to UK people will have moved on, even my daughter who didn't want to come with me at the last minute as she found a new partner, and I will have to start again. Perhaps my angels will lead me in the right direction
All the best, Barb (your namesake)
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 6:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Honeybun
Just trying to catch up on all the news from people as I dont have much time to get on the computer (work full time and lots of travelling) Well what a decision this has been for you. It must feel like you are torn in two and dont know which way to turn. Well you have done it, so well done and maybe, just maybe one day you will win the lotto and be able to help with the travelling. Its a very hard decision and I know if I go back to UK people will have moved on, even my daughter who didn't want to come with me at the last minute as she found a new partner, and I will have to start again. Perhaps my angels will lead me in the right direction
All the best, Barb (your namesake)
Thank you Barb for your good wishes and thanks to everybody else too.

I spent last night crying because you know I don't really WANT to go back to Oz. I watched a TV show I had recorded called The Lakes and I recommend anybody coming back home to live or even for a holiday to visit this most spectacular part of the UK.

I will come back tonight and catch up with all the posts

Now I have to figure out how to sell my furniture at the last minute!! Anybody interested in buying a "starter kit" of enough stuff to set them up in the UK??? It actually would be good for somebody starting out here as everything will be included, I am only going to be shipping back personal items plus my new TV and vacuum cleaner.

I have tried to look on eBay and Gumtree but everything seems to be priced individually, what about those house clearance people, do they give you a fair price??

I have the removals people coming next week to give me a quote on the stuff I will be taking back, probably just a few boxes and said TV and vacuum cleaner.

Any ideas welcomed on an easy way to sell my stuff as once I have given in my notice on my job and given them a date, I have to be out of this tied flat too!

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 3rd 2010 at 6:18 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Woh....Vibes! Vibes!...from Relocateme coming your way from Starbuck Manitoba Canada to South Carolina ...all the best on this aes1 for this particular house showing...everything crossed now for you :f ingerscrossed:

You really deserve to have this house move for you now...I am praying

ED you got the first one done Bravo!..just a thought...have the company got any accomms going for staff that would get you over there while you work in the week and to look for a place?

Tanto...as I recall we started discussing the expat hotel thing around post 536 (had a quick look) needs to be fairly near an aiport for the Oz returnees as well ..Dont they only fly into London...dont know really but they have to crash right away dont they due to being tired from that long flight

Also requires permanent staffer on site I should think to do upkeep and bills

A network of ppl might also work if say they were already established in UK..they could take one in who had no home, then they could help the repat by putting the repat up for awhile and having some info to hand to get them going...just my 10cents worth:

Thanks for the vibes, PLEASE everyone, I need them so badly.........I am so tired of this house selling, and also so worried about leaving it empty, even though I know I now have no other choice. This country is draining me in more ways than one, sad to say.........

Yes, I agree with you re place to put up returning expats, it would be best in London, that's the first point of entry for the majority of us. (though not me, I am flying to Teeside, or Durham Tees Valley as they call it now!). Also, it would be good for established expats to offer a room, like the couchsurfing site. Perhaps we could set up a similar network, have our own website, call it returnees refuge or something?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.