Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good evening,

Well I had a much better day today. Got home from Health Centre and one of the places I had approached this week in regards to employment called me to see if I could work for a couple of hours. As it was it ended up being 4 hours and again tomorrow. She told me if I wanted she could use me every Saturday, so very good news. I the other job comes through, it runs Mon-Friday 10:30am to 3:00pm, and then I could work at this one on Saturday. I would also have time for other partime evening jobs. You feel so much better when you are working, the job entails working with dogs, so I got my Shitszu cudddles in for the day.

Dr. found all the drugs that I was on and they were comparable to the UK ones so another thing accomplished. It has been a week today almost to the hour, when I arrived, it has been a week of ups and downs and then really downs. But all in all I still am glad I came, I am not good at being patient in egards to work, home etc, so that is one of the lessons I have to learn, better later than never they say.

I did say a prayer yesterday when I was having such a bad time, and low and behold they have been answered in a small way and therefore I did say thanks for that.
Wow Easterndawn!...You have only been there one week and you have all these things in place already, that is so encouraging to hear...especially for all of us still here. Knowing that we too can undertake the same move. This is a great beginning with, I am sure, a sense of accomplishment and relief on your end. You will be busy now but I hope you will still post for us. I look forward to reading your news!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Good evening,

Well I had a much better day today. Got home from Health Centre and one of the places I had approached this week in regards to employment called me to see if I could work for a couple of hours. As it was it ended up being 4 hours and again tomorrow. She told me if I wanted she could use me every Saturday, so very good news. I the other job comes through, it runs Mon-Friday 10:30am to 3:00pm, and then I could work at this one on Saturday. I would also have time for other partime evening jobs. You feel so much better when you are working, the job entails working with dogs, so I got my Shitszu cudddles in for the day.

Dr. found all the drugs that I was on and they were comparable to the UK ones so another thing accomplished. It has been a week today almost to the hour, when I arrived, it has been a week of ups and downs and then really downs. But all in all I still am glad I came, I am not good at being patient in egards to work, home etc, so that is one of the lessons I have to learn, better later than never they say.

I did say a prayer yesterday when I was having such a bad time, and low and behold they have been answered in a small way and therefore I did say thanks for that.
Amazing, Easterndawn, you have accomplished so much in one short week!!! Good on you!!! for the other job. Can you tell me again, did you apply for these through the Jobcenter? Getting a job and having worked already is really a good sign, so much for unemployment being worse than over here!! Do you mind my asking what kind of job you got, and how the pay compares with back in Canada? I am very impressed, that it was so easy for you (even without a NI number!), hope it is the same in England when I get there!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Aes1:
The one job that I interviewed for was through the jobcentre, the other was me just going from business to business in the small village I am in asking if they needed help. The job that I am doing is washing combing out dogs, I have done this sort of work before, and I am being paid in cash equals $12.50 per hour, more if you consider it is cash so no taxes etc.

I also might have some part work in the local pub, I would rather do a number of partime than nothing at all. There is work in the UK you just have to be willing to take something even if you are over qualified for it. You can always look for something after that. The one I interviewed for is 25 hrs a week 10:00 to 3:00pm, with 4 weeks paid vacation and all stat(bank) holidays off.

They are also looking for call centre workers for inbound calls full time, but they would not take my info until I have my NIC number, also lots of home care position in private homes and personal casre homes, these are through agencies etc.

I will probable look for something more in my line later after I have established myself better but for now this is good.

Originally Posted by aes1
Amazing, Easterndawn, you have accomplished so much in one short week!!! Good on you!!! for the other job. Can you tell me again, did you apply for these through the Jobcenter? Getting a job and having worked already is really a good sign, so much for unemployment being worse than over here!! Do you mind my asking what kind of job you got, and how the pay compares with back in Canada? I am very impressed, that it was so easy for you (even without a NI number!), hope it is the same in England when I get there!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Hi Aes1:
The one job that I interviewed for was through the jobcentre, the other was me just going from business to business in the small village I am in asking if they needed help. The job that I am doing is washing combing out dogs, I have done this sort of work before, and I am being paid in cash equals $12.50 per hour, more if you consider it is cash so no taxes etc.

I also might have some part work in the local pub, I would rather do a number of partime than nothing at all. There is work in the UK you just have to be willing to take something even if you are over qualified for it. You can always look for something after that. The one I interviewed for is 25 hrs a week 10:00 to 3:00pm, with 4 weeks paid vacation and all stat(bank) holidays off.

They are also looking for call centre workers for inbound calls full time, but they would not take my info until I have my NIC number, also lots of home care position in private homes and personal casre homes, these are through agencies etc.

I will probable look for something more in my line later after I have established myself better but for now this is good.
Great, also to hear they will take you even if overqualified! I am just looking for a stress free (meaning don't take it home) part or full time job, so this is very encouraging. Imagine that, 25 hours a week AND 4 week paid vacation from day one!!! Unheard of in the US!!! Long live Great Britain!!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Aes1:
I have several versions of CV, one high end , University degree etc, one middle of the road, Microsoft office training, Administrative positions etc and one low end, cashiering, waitressing, dog grooming. I use whatever one is needed at the time. I have letters of reference from all employers mentined in all CV's. After a while you will have proven yourself and can let them know if it ever comes into play that you have other qualifications.

Great, also to hear they will take you even if overqualified! I am just looking for a stress free (meaning don't take it home) part or full time job, so this is very encouraging. Imagine that, 25 hours a week AND 4 week paid vacation from day one!!! Unheard of in the US!!! Long live Great Britain!!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Aes1:
I have several versions of CV, one high end , University degree etc, one middle of the road, Microsoft office training, Administrative positions etc and one low end, cashiering, waitressing, dog grooming. I use whatever one is needed at the time. I have letters of reference from all employers mentined in all CV's. After a while you will have proven yourself and can let them know if it ever comes into play that you have other qualifications.
Didn't think of doing that, good idea, I too could give 3 different ones - just have to remember all the details for each!!! Better get working on them before I forget!!! Thanks.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Good Evening,
Well almost evening, the weather has been wonderful here for the past two days, great walking weather, which is what I have done. Tomorrow is Glasgow National Insurance Card/Number day, I hope. My friend is going to write letter regarding my letting a room from her and what I pay, also received mail from Works and Pensions Dept so with my passport hope that that is enough for them. I have to find new rain jacket, but they are either all to wintery, or just don't fit, very fustrating. So I am now on the hunt, maybe in Glasgow will find something.

Really need to get place of my own, not only for sanity reasons , but cannot seem to open bank account without some kind of bill, utility, council. Did look a t small cottage, it was very nice, furnished to high standard, nice small back yard but he had it rented out for one week at Christmas, so that doesn't really work. Can't really afford to fly back to Canada for the holiday, so I guess i will pass on that.

Hope thos of you who are in the planning stages are moving alone with them, if yo have any questions that you think I might be able to answer or find out the answer to, please do not hesitate to ask.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Good Evening,
Well almost evening, the weather has been wonderful here for the past two days, great walking weather, which is what I have done. Tomorrow is Glasgow National Insurance Card/Number day, I hope. My friend is going to write letter regarding my letting a room from her and what I pay, also received mail from Works and Pensions Dept so with my passport hope that that is enough for them. I have to find new rain jacket, but they are either all to wintery, or just don't fit, very fustrating. So I am now on the hunt, maybe in Glasgow will find something.

Really need to get place of my own, not only for sanity reasons , but cannot seem to open bank account without some kind of bill, utility, council. Did look a t small cottage, it was very nice, furnished to high standard, nice small back yard but he had it rented out for one week at Christmas, so that doesn't really work. Can't really afford to fly back to Canada for the holiday, so I guess i will pass on that.

Hope thos of you who are in the planning stages are moving alone with them, if yo have any questions that you think I might be able to answer or find out the answer to, please do not hesitate to ask.
Great to hear from you, was wondering how things are going. So are you going to be on your own for Christmas? Are you emotionally preparing yourself for that, I bet it will be tough to be away from hubby. The cottage sounds nice, are there plenty of places to choose from? What is the going rate, and what does it include - extra costs like council tax, etc? Does fully furnished mean with washer (and dryer)? Have you tried Lloyds Bank for opening an account?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:47 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

............. cannot seem to open bank account without some kind of bill, utility, council....
Have you looked at the sticky re. opening a bank account on UK-Yankee? I think they may have some useful advice.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi,

The flats eem to be running between 350-550pound for a 2 bedroom all the way up to 600-800 pounds for cottage, house type. Most do not include electric etc, and you have to pay council tax on top off. If they say furnished then yes they seem to be coming with built in either combined washer/dryer or dryer is seperate. Most are furnished quite nicely, leather love seat or sofa, tables chairs etc. This cottage was complete including dishes etc as he rents it out to tourists for weeks when it is not long term let agreed. This is a good site to look up the area you want to live in to see what is available www.rightmove.co.uk. I have found by just asking around, if you live in small village as I do, you can get a fix on something.

Am I prepared for Christmas, the answer to that is a definate no. Christmas at our house has always been a very big affair, with 30 family, friends, kids and dogs usually coming over on Christmas Eve for huge meal and get together and then smaller version on Christams Day. I think I might just stay in bed and pull the covers over my head till it is over this year. I think it will be a bad day for me and many other in my shoes. Yes, tried all the banks in my area, not sure if it is just my area or if this is the practice of the banks in UK, I knew that it would be difficult before I got here, as many other have had horror stories.

Great to hear from you, was wondering how things are going. So are you going to be on your own for Christmas? Are you emotionally preparing yourself for that, I bet it will be tough to be away from hubby. The cottage sounds nice, are there plenty of places to choose from? What is the going rate, and what does it include - extra costs like council tax, etc? Does fully furnished mean with washer (and dryer)? Have you tried Lloyds Bank for opening an account?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:25 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, 400 posts already! I think there was a need for this thread ...
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Just for everyones information, here is Scotland good buys can be found on excellent used furniture, can't believe some of the buys I have seen in our local newspaper, local corner shop and as I said on previous post you local charity shop. So if you don't mind used furniture, I cannot see why anyone would ship theres back home unless it has sentimental memories or is family heirloom piece, Gumtree UK is a good sight to give you some information.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, and have you seen how many people have viewed the thread ?
Originally Posted by dunroving
Blimey, 400 posts already! I think there was a need for this thread ...
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Easterdawn Christmas will be hard but have you thought of doing some charity work, you know feeding the homeless of that type of thing the Church will probably have something they do. Better than being on your own.

I would stay away from the holiday homes that are for rent they are normally higher priced that a regular rented place. More down to earth.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:31 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Just for everyones information, here is Scotland good buys can be found on excellent used furniture, can't believe some of the buys I have seen in our local newspaper, local corner shop and as I said on previous post you local charity shop. So if you don't mind used furniture, I cannot see why anyone would ship theres back home unless it has sentimental memories or is family heirloom piece, Gumtree UK is a good sight to give you some information.
One of my PGR students was telling me just today that he and his wife have got some nice stuff at Clydeside antiques, so you might want to take a look there (not too far from Kilmarnock, I guess). The UK has always been a place to get great bargains on second-hand furniture and household items. In the US, on the other hand, people seem to advertise second-hand stuff for about 80% of what it cost new - never quite understood that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.