Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Yes, was thinking about that, when i was single mom used to do that with the kids every Christmas.

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Easterdawn Christmas will be hard but have you thought of doing some charity work, you know feeding the homeless of that type of thing the Church will probably have something they do. Better than being on your own.

I would stay away from the holiday homes that are for rent they are normally higher priced that a regular rented place. More down to earth.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

I know was in the local convenience shop today saw advert for silver fidge freezer , 1 year old, with ice maker and water for 150 pound, couldn't believe the price.
Originally Posted by dunroving
One of my PGR students was telling me just today that he and his wife have got some nice stuff at Clydeside antiques, so you might want to take a look there (not too far from Kilmarnock, I guess). The UK has always been a place to get great bargains on second-hand furniture and household items. In the US, on the other hand, people seem to advertise second-hand stuff for about 80% of what it cost new - never quite understood that.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Easterndawn did you try Lloyds TSB see link.....

http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_acc..._to_the_uk.asp

on there it states that you can use your passport as identity ........doesn't mention the need for utility bills or the like.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, you are right about holiday cottages, I guess I am just wanting to have my own place. Difficult to live in someone elses place, can't run around in house PJ's, stay in bath to long, leave dishes till tomorrow if you want, the ordinary things of life. I think also when you have some kind of home, you feel more settled, and that you can get on with life. Right now, I feel that I am visiting, not really living here.

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Easterdawn Christmas will be hard but have you thought of doing some charity work, you know feeding the homeless of that type of thing the Church will probably have something they do. Better than being on your own.

I would stay away from the holiday homes that are for rent they are normally higher priced that a regular rented place. More down to earth.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Patzy, thought I had talked to them, but maybe not when i went to their site in Kilmarnock, the address does not seem familiar, so will go there on Wednesday
Originally Posted by Patzy

on there it states that you can use your passport as identity ........doesn't mention the need for utility bills or the like.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Also has anyone heard from Magistrate, would like to know how they got on with getting help with accomidation They flew out the same day I did and I believe they were going to Manchester.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I thought utility bills were more proof of residence than identity...that's why people moving to the UK have problems because they don't have a residence.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Thanks Patzy, thought I had talked to them, but maybe not when i went to their site in Kilmarnock, the address does not seem familiar, so will go there on Wednesday
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=22395.0

Additionally, the British Bankers' Association has published a document for new arrivals wishing to open an account. It can be found at: http://www.bba.org.uk/content/1/c4/3...eaflet2004.pdf

There is an important paragraph at the end of the document that says:

If you have followed the advice in this leaflet and
you are still finding it difficult to open an account
with a bank in the UK, you may find it useful to
talk to the Branch Manager of the bank you have
visited.

This is quite important because, as a few bankers have said, some of these people opening accounts don't always fully understand the documents required for opening accounts. If in doubt, always ask for someone more senior.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Relocateme reporting in.

A few benchmarks to post today so a bit excited

University finally came to an end on Sunday with a pot luck party!Yaay

Final visit out of 26 to chiropractor Mon 8am..(strained ribcage)... even better..my Dr. bought photo album of his trip to Pyramids to show me as promised so had a good 30mins with him...

Passport arrived at 2pm Mon. delivered to door by Purolator courier in a UPS envelope (what's up with that) so I was overjoyed to leaf through its new plastic pages shimmering with holographic angels wings ( across my face) and
watery images of birds on every page...mmm very lovely

Picked up the house-for-sale signs and erected large one on front lawn
also selling my treadmill to the clerk on the real estate desk...another bonus!

A good days work in all.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:34 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Not looking good for a/c at Lloyd's or RBS

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...le6862394.ece#
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like things are moving ahead. Hope your house sell soon, good luck
Originally Posted by Relocateme
Relocateme reporting in.

A few benchmarks to post today so a bit excited

University finally came to an end on Sunday with a pot luck party!Yaay

Final visit out of 26 to chiropractor Mon 8am..(strained ribcage)... even better..my Dr. bought photo album of his trip to Pyramids to show me as promised so had a good 30mins with him...

Passport arrived at 2pm Mon. delivered to door by Purolator courier in a UPS envelope (what's up with that) so I was overjoyed to leaf through its new plastic pages shimmering with holographic angels wings ( across my face) and
watery images of birds on every page...mmm very lovely

Picked up the house-for-sale signs and erected large one on front lawn
also selling my treadmill to the clerk on the real estate desk...another bonus!

A good days work in all.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello,

I had meeting with NI people this am, it went very well, no problems, they didn't even ask for the letter from my friend stating that i was renting room from her. I did offer it though and they photocopied it and gave it back to me. The lady did say that she would be very surprised if I do not have a NI number, she said they used to give them out to children when the parents got Child Allowance, never heard of this. Will get number in about two weeks, one if I have one already, card in about 4 weeks.

I was vey impressed with the taxi's in Glasgow, when i left the train sataion i approached taxi driver asking him how much to the Regent Street West, he said you don't need a taxi lass it's just a little ways and gave me directons. Actually he forgot to tell me it was on top of a very steep hill and a little further than he said, but it was okay.

Did go shopping on Sauchiehall Street for rain coat/jacket, bought very nice Outrider, for 34 pounds, 95p's I knew this brand name and know that in Canada it is very expensive. Went to T.K. Max, sister stores to Winners in Canada and TJ Max in US. Found it a bit unorganized, but prices were decent.

The train system in Uk is bar none, it runs on time for a decent price, and is reasonable clean, not a bad way to travel, cost from Kilmaurs to Glasgow 5pounds 65p's return, not to bad.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 5:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hello,

I was vey impressed with the taxi's in Glasgow, when i left the train sataion i approached taxi driver asking him how much to the Regent Street West, he said you don't need a taxi lass it's just a little ways and gave me directons. Actually he forgot to tell me it was on top of a very steep hill and a little further than he said, but it was okay.

I think you have to walk up a steep hill to get anywhere in Glasgow.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

stllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nice
Smile Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Fast approaching 50 ( 7 days to go!!! Yikes!!) so hope I qualify for this club!

My wife (US born and bred) and myself are just starting to put the pieces together to move back to the UK after 4 1/2 years. Scary!! We are returning for family reasons, to be nearer my children who are still in the UK - I have been too far away for too long! We have tried living near to, and working with my in laws in South Carolina and I will just say it didn't quite work and it is time to move on!

Right now I have given up my job to get everything ready here in the US, and am just embarking on the job hunt back in the UK. It is going to be near impossible I know, but it has to be done! I am going to do some temp work once we have most things in place and will be looking to move once our dogs are ready to go ( should be about June next year).

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I feel as though I am on the edge of a cliff, waiting to jump, and I am scared stiff. It is just the unknown I guess, and once the future becomes clearer things will look better.

It is nice to know that I am amongst a good bunch of people who have been scared to do new things, but have done them anyway, and have not always taken the easiest road in life - staying put! Hope this makes sense!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think you are right, the only level place is in the station
Originally Posted by dunroving
I think you have to walk up a steep hill to get anywhere in Glasgow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.