Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:52 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Relocateme
What will I do if the house sells before winter?..first jump for joy with small bottle of Grand Marnier in hand...continue to sell off as much as I can (furniture and smalls) of the residue .. give rest away to charity..activate my job placement counselor (they arrange your job,flight work permits) go stay with my friend in the city just before the "off". got a line on getting rid of vehicle,..fly out to wherever work a semester or two and then on to Aus to visit with part of main family..back across mainland to UK visiting places as I go. Do a bit of teaching pick up a job here and there to pay way Turkey, Italy etc., and then back to UK..I will feel very much like settling after that. Definitely think it will be on the South coast..either Plymouth, Bournemouth, Southborne..somewhere to walk on flat ground in winter with no ice or little snow would suit me..not too busy of a place. Ideally I would like to have a garden or a few chickens however, after checking the house prices all is beyond the reach. I am geared for all the changes. Was there in 1999/2000 know I can do it and am not afraid. I am more afraid to let life peter out here and die alone with my brand new appliances and laminate flooring.(u know what I mean)...So to weigh it up..I have enough left at 61 to venture forth on this new journey striking out in unconquered territory ( for me)...I never had any holidays here in Canada to speak of..last few Christmas holidays alone in house painting walls..really grim..so took stock, assess reality of the inevitable and Hey Presto!....I am going ...Had originally thought of going to Southern Ont since the weather is warmer in winter however doing that does not address the isolation issues at my age. Will rent first to look around and find something to call home.
Before you go on your grand tour maybe you would be kind enough to tell us where in MB those threatened truckers are. I can find no trace of this on the net and there are some prospective immigrants who would like to know what the facts are. Your unfounded gossip doesn't do much to allay the fears of those who are considering moving. So please substantiate your original statement.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

What will I do if the house sells before winter?..first jump for joy with small bottle of Grand Marnier in hand...continue to sell off as much as I can (furniture and smalls) of the residue .. give rest away to charity..activate my job placement counselor (they arrange your job,flight work permits) go stay with my friend in the city just before the "off". got a line on getting rid of vehicle,..fly out to wherever work a semester or two and then on to Aus to visit with part of main family..back across mainland to UK visiting places as I go. Do a bit of teaching pick up a job here and there to pay way Turkey, Italy etc., and then back to UK..I will feel very much like settling after that. Definitely think it will be on the South coast..either Plymouth, Bournemouth, Southborne..somewhere to walk on flat ground in winter with no ice or little snow would suit me..not too busy of a place. Ideally I would like to have a garden or a few chickens however, after checking the house prices all is beyond the reach. I am geared for all the changes. Was there in 1999/2000 know I can do it and am not afraid. I am more afraid to let life peter out here and die alone with my brand new appliances and laminate flooring.(u know what I mean)...So to weigh it up..I have enough left at 61 to venture forth on this new journey striking out in unconquered territory ( for me)...I never had any holidays here in Canada to speak of..last few Christmas holidays alone in house painting walls..really grim..so took stock, assess reality of the inevitable and Hey Presto!....I am going ...Had originally thought of going to Southern Ont since the weather is warmer in winter however doing that does not address the isolation issues at my age. Will rent first to look around and find something to call home.
I too have isolation issues and it is one of the reasons I am thinking of returning to UK. Not necessarily for companionship as I do very well on my own. I am more concerned with where I will end up eventually. Not to be too morbid but it comes to us all. I had health issues recently that could definately been easier to deal with and recover from if I had a little help. I don't ever want to go through this again
At least in the UK there is help available if you need it and hopefully I won't again for a long time.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Was thinking earlier today wouldn't it be lovely for a few of us to meet in a central area in UK in about a year or so, what do you think, so many of us have have been on this thread from the beginning. I think your plans are lovely, and so exciting. I hope that your house sells quicky then, and you can get on with the rest of your life.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Oct 9th 2009 at 6:24 pm. Reason: needed to add more
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

What a rude thing to say!!! Why would this be on the internet, your talking Manitoba, if the people who are involved have not issued statement to media, you can bet your bottom dollar that Immigration is not going to.
Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Before you go on your grand tour maybe you would be kind enough to tell us where in MB those threatened truckers are. I can find no trace of this on the net and there are some prospective immigrants who would like to know what the facts are. Your unfounded gossip doesn't do much to allay the fears of those who are considering moving. So please substantiate your original statement.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

I second this, I think once yu get through all the red tape, it really is better on the other side!!
Originally Posted by alba1
I too have isolation issues and it is one of the reasons I am thinking of returning to UK. Not necessarily for companionship as I do very well on my own. I am more concerned with where I will end up eventually. Not to be too morbid but it comes to us all. I had health issues recently that could definately been easier to deal with and recover from if I had a little help. I don't ever want to go through this again
At least in the UK there is help available if you need it and hopefully I won't again for a long time.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Ooooh..The knife in the throat has rendered me speechless! Ha!

When I first talked to my friend who was experiencing this very situation & then posted it on front page..all I got was "I'm confused"..."What's she talking about" .."I don't get it either" said another reply..

What?..I didn't think I could write it any plainer

Well...I think they are getting it now.

Simon Lagree: A better way to get your question answered would be "This is of great concern to me and I would appreciate more info on this since there those who are considering moving...thanks in advance"

(leaving out the idioms "grand tour" and "unfounded gossip"
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:00 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
What a rude thing to say!!! Why would this be on the internet, your talking Manitoba, if the people who are involved have not issued statement to media, you can bet your bottom dollar that Immigration is not going to.
Not at all rude. I posted it here because the original poster appears to be ignoring the requests for clarification on other threads and I see that she is posting here.
The other person started, or repeated, a rumor that appears to have no basis in fact. I, and others, cannot find any trace of this alleged travesty. I simply asked, politely, on two occasions, on other threads, if she would please tell us where this happened. It is of concern to prospective immigrants who may end up in the same boat, if indeed there is any truth to it.
If anyone is rude it is the originator of this gossip. If there are people being mistreated as is claimed then please tell us where this occurred so that it can be confirmed and then prospective immigrants can make up their minds with the benefit of that knowledge. Simply spouting that someone at Wal-Mart was in tears doesn't help anyone. It just causes more headaches for prospects.

Once again I ask where was this supposed to have happened.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:07 pm
Bon Vivant

Ooooh..The knife in the throat has rendered me speechless! Ha!

When I first talked to my friend who was experiencing this very situation & then posted it on front page..all I got was "I'm confused"..."What's she talking about" .."I don't get it either" said another reply..

What?..I didn't think I could write it any plainer

Well...I think they are getting it now.

Simon Lagree: A better way to get your question answered would be "This is of great concern to me and I would appreciate more info on this since there those who are considering moving...thanks in advance"

(leaving out the idioms "grand tour" and "unfounded gossip"
OK. Then consider that the question. Please tell us where this happened. That's all I wanted to know.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

OK. Then consider that the question. Please tell us where this happened. That's all I wanted to know.
Roger that Simon!...Thanks for toning it down...I will certainly do my best to get info for those intending moving and can fully understand and appreciate their concern...this was my original intent in posting

...I am going back into the City on Saturday and will ask the person directly which trucking outfit her hubby works for .

Haven't been back to the front page today or yesterday since "testy" posters and "slugs" don't generally tend to blow my hair back...I just buried it.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alba1

Me too, I can happily live on my own, but do have those isolation issues you talk about, especially growing older and thinking about health care. My main reason for going back to the UK, to home, to feel that sense of nurturing that you can sometimes only get from your own country.

Easterndawn, great idea to meet up sometime in the UK! All those of us going back. Not to leave it too far in the future though, we may forget
I am patiently waiting for my US citizenship (interview on Nov 2, getting nervous, studying like crazy for those civics questions!), my house is already for sale, no lookers though, but not to worry, I will bury St Joseph after Nov 2!. Then, have to get US passport. Probably looking at beginning of new year, though am slightly concerned about arriving in the UK in the middle of winter. Not used to cold weather anymore, living in the balmy SE of USA, and definitely will be searching for the warmth of the South West coast of Dorset - somewhere, final plan not yet established, don't know a soul in the UK and this is new territory for me, being primarily a Yorkshire lass! But your posts, Easterndawn have been so positive as to the friendliness of strangers you have met so far, I am not worried.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Again I ask where would you find this in the media, on the news where!!!
Not at all rude. I posted it here because the original poster appears to be ignoring the requests for clarification on other threads and I see that she is posting here.
The other person started, or repeated, a rumor that appears to have no basis in fact. I, and others, cannot find any trace of this alleged travesty. I simply asked, politely, on two occasions, on other threads, if she would please tell us where this happened. It is of concern to prospective immigrants who may end up in the same boat, if indeed there is any truth to it.
If anyone is rude it is the originator of this gossip. If there are people being mistreated as is claimed then please tell us where this occurred so that it can be confirmed and then prospective immigrants can make up their minds with the benefit of that knowledge. Simply spouting that someone at Wal-Mart was in tears doesn't help anyone. It just causes more headaches for prospects.

Once again I ask where was this supposed to have happened.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

This happened in Manitoba....Manitoba is in the middle of Canada between Saskatchewan and Ontario...

Just had a quick look and found these but again, I will find out more

Rowan Trucking to lay off 100
Penske Logistics to lay off 53 drivers
Getting laid off the factory is moving to Mexico
YFC to lay off 210 in NC
Truckingboards drivers forum
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:43 pm
Bon Vivant

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Again I ask where would you find this in the media, on the news where!!!
It's not just in the media that one might find news of such an event. There may be several places on the internet. Trade connections, disgruntled truckers to name a couple. One would have thought that if it was "a group of truckers" who were being "victimized" by the supposedly cruel Canadian government then there would be something somewhere and there isn't. I simply asked where this is alleged to have occurred. A simple question one would think.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:46 pm
Bon Vivant

This happened in Manitoba....Manitoba is in the middle of Canada between Saskatchewan and Ontario...

Just had a quick look and found these but again, I will find out more

Rowan Trucking to lay off 100
Penske Logistics to lay off 53 drivers
Getting laid off the factory is moving to Mexico
YFC to lay off 210 in NC
Truckingboards drivers forum
Thank you. I appreciate that.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

Easterndawn. I am in Australia but following your adventure moving back to the UK. I often dream of doing the same. Close family ties stop me taking it further.
Maybe one day - - -

Regarding migrants being sent back to their homeland if their job becomes redundant. It is the same here in Australia. It was on a Current Affair programme how the family had about 4weeks to remove themselves from Australia after the wife lost her job, after being sponsored here. They were thousands of dollars out of pocket, due to buying a house here then having to sell it again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.