Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by stllurnin48
Fast approaching 50 ( 7 days to go!!! Yikes!!) so hope I qualify for this club!

My wife (US born and bred) and myself are just starting to put the pieces together to move back to the UK after 4 1/2 years. Scary!! We are returning for family reasons, to be nearer my children who are still in the UK - I have been too far away for too long! We have tried living near to, and working with my in laws in South Carolina and I will just say it didn't quite work and it is time to move on!

Right now I have given up my job to get everything ready here in the US, and am just embarking on the job hunt back in the UK. It is going to be near impossible I know, but it has to be done! I am going to do some temp work once we have most things in place and will be looking to move once our dogs are ready to go ( should be about June next year).

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I feel as though I am on the edge of a cliff, waiting to jump, and I am scared stiff. It is just the unknown I guess, and once the future becomes clearer things will look better.

It is nice to know that I am amongst a good bunch of people who have been scared to do new things, but have done them anyway, and have not always taken the easiest road in life - staying put! Hope this makes sense!
Makes perfect sense, and good luck with it all. Know that you are not alone, plenty of us out here doing the same things, different reasons, different ages, different circumstances, but all wanting to, or going to, move back home and taking the plunge, scared silly, but doing it anyway. We would rather live life than exist it! Where are you in SC? I lived in Greenville for 22 years, and Charleston last 4.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stllurnin48
Fast approaching 50 ( 7 days to go!!! Yikes!!) so hope I qualify for this club!

My wife (US born and bred) and myself are just starting to put the pieces together to move back to the UK after 4 1/2 years. Scary!! We are returning for family reasons, to be nearer my children who are still in the UK - I have been too far away for too long! We have tried living near to, and working with my in laws in South Carolina and I will just say it didn't quite work and it is time to move on!

Right now I have given up my job to get everything ready here in the US, and am just embarking on the job hunt back in the UK. It is going to be near impossible I know, but it has to be done! I am going to do some temp work once we have most things in place and will be looking to move once our dogs are ready to go ( should be about June next year).

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I feel as though I am on the edge of a cliff, waiting to jump, and I am scared stiff. It is just the unknown I guess, and once the future becomes clearer things will look better.

It is nice to know that I am amongst a good bunch of people who have been scared to do new things, but have done them anyway, and have not always taken the easiest road in life - staying put! Hope this makes sense!
Stllurnin48...Great decision...you have visualised a better life there for your family and are now going for it....for my part ., I know that all the pieces will come together when I get there there just like Easterndawn has been doing...one thing at a time...and one day at a time..I feel the largest hurdle is all the hard work before the flight...you know...getting rid of things, and the house sale, paperwork...this is the hard part for me ...I went back in 1999 for about 6 months to 2000 and knew I could make a go of it albeit in the wrong location at the time.
Now its for real! hang on to my seatbelt...its going to be a bumpy ride! all the best to you and welcome from me here in small village in rural Manitoba
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Stllurnin 48 Goodluck... I have stood on the edge of that cliff for the past 3 years. Had the house up for sale twice, 6months contract now expired so trying another estate agent but will go on trying: This will be the third one so I will be keeping my Just for added luck I will dig up St. Joseph, wash him off and rebury next to the new sign.(.
I will get that ending I want it may not end up perfect but it will be what I want. Lots of hurdles to overcome but no one said it was going to be easy, just see what Easterdawn is going through and the others that have gone before but if you never try who knows what would have happened.

Learning alot on this thread hope more who go back home can do some inputs once they are settled.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Good Afternoon,

Well today was a day of ups and downs, seems to part of the course. Went to Jobcentre this morning called the ones that interested me, and still they say that they cannot take application unless I have NI number. I called NI office and asked if it could be hurried up, gentleman said he would put an urgent on it for me, so here's hoping.

Went through budget yesterday, it was kind of scary, so decided to see what kind of help I could get until the NI number and job situation it sorted out. They helped me fill out forms for Job Seekers Allowance, I was not sure this would be allowed as I still have husband in Canada, but so far so good. I do have an appointment with another career counselor tomorrow to see what can be done about a job. Also filled out application for assistance with housing. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do what you have to do. Does not seem to be the same stigma associated with this as in Canada. One of the criteria is that you don't have more than 16,000 pounds in savings, guess what we don't . I don't like this but I feel that I must move forward and cannot do that as quickly as I wish without some kind of assistance, so there it is. I am sure that I will be judged harshly by some people on the forum, all I can say is until you have walked a mile in my shoes, do not judge me or anyone else. Everyone has to assess their lives and what they want to accomplish, how soon they need to accomplish it and what help they need to get to the goal.

I went to charity stores to see what I would have to spend to get the basics in to live. Couch, etc, it will probable cost me around 150 pounds, the only thing I refuse to buy used is a bed, so found place that you can buy bed, mattress etc for 3pound a week, no credit checks needed and they deliver. Of course will have to buy new bedding, towels etc, but I think I could get away for under 200 pounds for the lot. Does anyone know do they only have double and king size beds here, as that is all I seem to see.

I have not been asked for a Habitual Residency test yet, we will wait and see
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Afternoon,

Well today was a day of ups and downs, seems to part of the course. Went to Jobcentre this morning called the ones that interested me, and still they say that they cannot take application unless I have NI number. I called NI office and asked if it could be hurried up, gentleman said he would put an urgent on it for me, so here's hoping.

You don't actually need a NIN to look for and accept employment. You can apply for one when you start work. Look here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ts/DG_10014073
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Good Afternoon,

Went through budget yesterday, it was kind of scary, so decided to see what kind of help I could get until the NI number and job situation it sorted out. They helped me fill out forms for Job Seekers Allowance, I was not sure this would be allowed as I still have husband in Canada, but so far so good. I do have an appointment with another career counselor tomorrow to see what can be done about a job. Also filled out application for assistance with housing. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do what you have to do. Does not seem to be the same stigma associated with this as in Canada. One of the criteria is that you don't have more than 16,000 pounds in savings, guess what we don't . I don't like this but I feel that I must move forward and cannot do that as quickly as I wish without some kind of assistance, so there it is. I am sure that I will be judged harshly by some people on the forum, all I can say is until you have walked a mile in my shoes, do not judge me or anyone else. Everyone has to assess their lives and what they want to accomplish, how soon they need to accomplish it and what help they need to get to the goal.

I went to charity stores to see what I would have to spend to get the basics in to live. Couch, etc, it will probable cost me around 150 pounds, the only thing I refuse to buy used is a bed, so found place that you can buy bed, mattress etc for 3pound a week, no credit checks needed and they deliver. Of course will have to buy new bedding, towels etc, but I think I could get away for under 200 pounds for the lot. Does anyone know do they only have double and king size beds here, as that is all I seem to see.

Ups and downs are just a part of life, so focus on the ups You have come a long way since you got there, these are only teething problems, and they will go away before you know it!! Be proud of yourself for everything you have accomplished so far, and who cares what other people think. If you need benefits, so be it. 200 pounds sounds good for furniture. What size place is that for? We all need help in some kind of way, and as you say, gotta walk in the person's shoes.......

Beds: Well, as far as I remember there is a choice of a single bed and a double bed. One person and two persons. Basically it, especially for bedding. Maybe a larger 2 person bed is a queen? Check out the bedding sizes first.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The UK standard beds are single, double and king size...although there is now a super king. The sizes aren't the same as North American beds. Here's a conversion:

http://www.platformbeds.com/translating_bed_sizes.html
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Tell that to the people whom I have been talking to, they would not accept any information until I have the actual number.:curse: It has become very fustrating as what you are saying is the same thing that was said to me yesterday at the Department of Works and Pensions
Originally Posted by Elvira
You don't actually need a NIN to look for and accept employment. You can apply for one when you start work. Look here:
:curse:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ts/DG_10014073
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

That would furnish you with basic for a two bedroom unit, that does not include the bed. Basically Couch, dining table, a set of 3 stacking tables,to be used as end tables, a coffee table, wardrobe, chester drawers and table that could be used as night stand, 2 dining room chairs, lamp, small cupboard that could be used to house T.V. etc.
Originally Posted by aes1
Ups and downs are just a part of life, so focus on the ups You have come a long way since you got there, these are only teething problems, and they will go away before you know it!! Be proud of yourself for everything you have accomplished so far, and who cares what other people think. If you need benefits, so be it. 200 pounds sounds good for furniture. What size place is that for? We all need help in some kind of way, and as you say, gotta walk in the person's shoes.......

Beds: Well, as far as I remember there is a choice of a single bed and a double bed. One person and two persons. Basically it, especially for bedding. Maybe a larger 2 person bed is a queen? Check out the bedding sizes first.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, I thought the king here might be the same size as North American queen.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The UK standard beds are single, double and king size...although there is now a super king. The sizes aren't the same as North American beds. Here's a conversion:

http://www.platformbeds.com/translating_bed_sizes.html
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's not quite the same...depending on the thickness of the mattress those 2 extra inches can make a difference when it comes to fitted sheets.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

"I am a British citizen and as such I have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom. I do have a National Insurance Number but I have mislaid it. I am waiting for Works & Pensions (or whatever they're called today...) to send it to me."

Refer them the relevant paragraph on the website (print it out).

Be persistent.

Good luck!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Elvira
"I am a British citizen and as such I have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom. I do have a National Insurance Number but I have mislaid it. I am waiting for Works & Pensions (or whatever they're called today...) to send it to me."

Refer them the relevant paragraph on the website (print it out).

Be persistent.

Good luck!
That's a little OTT just to buy a bed don't you think?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty darn close, I used my US queen bedding on a UK king and it fit just fine.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Easterndawn:Your doing great and I wish you the best on the next step ...to get your housing situation in place!!...I appreciate the honest nature of your posts and believe me its truly helpful...

I wish we could hear more from Bevm who was just arriving back in UK as this wonderful thread was started and also Magistrate who was just about to embark on housing with hubby.

Just back from Wpg city to find friend at Walmart in tears. She and trucker hubby came over with mass hire by Trucking companies needing drivers urgently for Mb.
Now they have to pack up and get out of Canada in 90 days!...how cruel is that?.
My friend thought she had a new life here..just a young family. They are in the middle of their Permanent Residence application...( I never had that)...my stuff was carved in stone before I left the white cliffs...must be what they have to do now..

I told her I was going back and she said the South Coast..Plymouth, Bournemouth, Wimborne...all around there is still virtually the old England we loved and knew so I was more than heartened by that part of our chat..as well, it was lovely to actually have an English conversation again....sharing the ups and downs with another countrywoman...Ooooh... Woman's Realm!...just popped in...

so ok, these steps along our path of re-entry process the benefits that Britain offers are there in order to finalise the issue of complete settlement. I am thrilled for one to have the privilege of witnessing it all come together on this thread

Had to go into city to get another signpost for the "for sale" sign since the two parts did not fit together. She said "Oh Yes we knew we had one that didn't fit together"..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.