Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi,,
Well went to town this morning on the bus, so used to going everywhere in car. I certainly will lose weight here, with walking all the hills. Was impressed withthe bus system, they are all 100% run on recycled vegitable oil. Cost me 3 pounds for return ticke, which I did not think was bad at all. Did get a pay as you go phone paid 20 pound for it with 300 minutes. Bought some groceries, found that some things were much cheaper than Canada, butter cost me about $2.00 for a pound, bread very nice and crusty I may add was about $3.00, but I would pay more this type of bread if I could of ever got it back home. Went to M & S, clothes were about the same some a cheaper , but much better selection than I could find on the island. Saw a charity shop on the high street, stopped in to see what they had, as most charity shops in Canada are just rubbish, was very surprised to see a very nice leather couch, for 40 pounds that was in excellent condition and coffee tables, end tables, dining room tables, entertainment centre etc all priced between 5 and 15 pounds and they were definetly things that I would have no problem starting out with, all very good conditon and very clean no scratches etc. The charity was for a Hospice Foundation so it would all be for a good cause also.

My only problem is that the bakeries are so wonderfull it is a good thing they have those hills as you could gain a lot of weight eating them. For lunch had a cornish pastie it was delicious Getting along quite well with the currency so far and not quite as concerned with the driving on the left side today, so I don't think I will have as big a problem as I thought, will just take it slow at first.

Great to hear from you!! Sounds wonderful, wish I were there already. Question, what did you do about converting money and knowing how much you would need? Or have your been able to open a bank account?

Thought seniors, aged 60 got free bus passes? Did I get that wrong, or are you not yet 60?

Look forward to more news as you settle in!! All info very valuable for those of us not yet there!!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello everyone I have been living in US for 32 years, I plan on returning to England within the next year, got to get my US citizenship first as I may want to return after a few years who knows, I know that I am very Americanised, and I am sure that I Will be missing a lot of things from here, I have no house to sale so I am kind of glad about that, I've been renting the whole time, I've lived in Nevada practically the whole time, so not much rain in the desert, have to get used to the rain again in England, and the much different lifestyle, I will be returning to my home town of Portsmouth and be living with my Mum in her house, she owns it so I will not have the expense of rent, but I will contribute fully with all the bills and food, It will be a lot cheaper for me and it will be cheaper for my Mum who is now 90 years old and in good health so far touch wood, we get on fine together and she is looking forward to my return as am I,
I will be 65 next year when I go back and will be receiving my monthly US social security check paid into my bank account over there by direct deposit, and I will also receive I have been told by the works & pensions dept over there 55 pounds per week from the british state pension, so I think it's a lot easier to go back home when you are retired with an income coming in regular, rather then have to search for work,
On my visits every three years or so over the years I have always gone back in the winter November for about 3 weeks that's all, I have a question for you all out there ----- whats with all the shopping? every time I go back all my family seem to want to do is go to the malls and shop or just look, and when there bored with the ones in Portsmouth then they go explore other towns & villages near by ---- straight to the nearest shopping mall UGH I think though the Women mostly want to go shopping or looking at shops and the man just kind of tags along cause he can't seem to think of anything better or more interesting to do with there spare time either, I always see couples in malls, often I see the man especially the older ones just sitting in a seat in the mall and just letting the wife do her thing and then she comes back after a while to collect her Husband as though she's picking up her child, then I notice the bored look on the mans face, and I've heard them say OK is that it do we go home now? and she says no not yet we still have a lot more shops to see yet,
Owwwww this would just make me want to scream, They make a whole day of it, after about 4 hours they take a break and have a bite to eat in one of the places in the food court inside the mall, cup of tea or coffee with a nice sandwhich or scone with butter and jam, emm emm now that part I do enjoy, but then right back to shopping again
So are there any comments on this shopping obsession the British people seem to have, It seems to me British people who live there all there lives who have never lived in another country seem to get into this RUT, but the sad thing is they are not aware of it, after all everyone they know does the very same thing in there spare time, when I do go back I will always be thinking of different things to do and places to go, as there are many !!!! I will not try to change my Mother but I will respectfully suggest lots of different things for us to do, and she is very open minded and she I know will go along with it and will enjoy the different things we do together too,
It just seems to me the average Brit young or old living in UK seem to lack the interest in new things, seem to lack what it takes to use ones own initiative,
Regards to all and good luck on everyones move back to the old country,
Rodney.
Will your UK pension affect your Social Security pension?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi aes1,

No I have a few years before I get to 60, my husband is though and yes you are correct about the free bus passes. Here in Scotland the pass is good for the whole of Scotland not just for the county or city you live in. I think that is very good. I am sure it is the same in the south. Went for a walk around the village this evening, it is so green and the flowers are even lovely at this time of the year. Will keep you informed about things as I learn them.

Originally Posted by aes1
Great to hear from you!! Sounds wonderful, wish I were there already. Question, what did you do about converting money and knowing how much you would need? Or have your been able to open a bank account?

Thought seniors, aged 60 got free bus passes? Did I get that wrong, or are you not yet 60?

Look forward to more news as you settle in!! All info very valuable for those of us not yet there!!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

This is wonderful news Easterndawn!...you are safe and sound at home again.
Juat a thrill to read about the details...made a cuppa and sat to read every lovely detail...you bought a smile to my face...I will be reading it again after I get out of Uni tomorrow...keep posting won't you?...I love to hear about the kinds of foods you are finding and it's of great interest to learn of those things in the way of furniture etc., that are available for starting again since I know that I will be doing the very same thing when I arrive there...
you will never know how helpful this is!..Also I had been wondering about getting a netbook and if I could carry this on the aircraft as well as backpak and carry-on..I have books (teaching English) and wondered if I would be let on with it all. Well, do tell about the electrical connection for your laptop and how that is accomplished (purchasing transformer or what?)...In the meantime have fun and happy settling...awaiting next installment.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

great news about the HSBC bank...thanks Auld Yin for that...I need info like this...baggage allowance...does that depend on the airline or what?...
Old Sep 27th 2009, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning,
I took a carry-on small suitcase, over one shoulder backpak and a 17" laptop and carry case. Had no problem taking it on, put everything up in hold except the backpak. When I was going from Copenhagen to Glasgow with British Midland I had to put small suitcase in in cargo when I left but it was there when I got off, so no problem. It was a little bit difficult getting on and off the plane as I had two stops but all in all not to bad.

Ah, the electrical, well, for the past few years when we where contiplating this journey, we made sure that the new laptops power source was 110-220, so for this all I needed was a plug to change from the type we have in North America to UK. I did not need a converter for this at least. I had purchased one, and when i went to plug my hair dryer in yesterday morning, I thought I had put all of the UK into blackness. Not sure what is the problem either the converter does not work, (cost $49.00 from travel store) or my hairdryer was already on its way out, so I will be replacing today. I would not bring hairdryer, curling iron etc again would just purchase here.

For those who have not travelled through european airports be aware that they do not call many of the flight, you have to find out what gate you are leaving from and then stay close to that gate. I found out yesterday that in Iceland my cup of coffee cost me about $3.00 and in Copenhagen my small shrimp salad and lemon fizzy water cost me $18.00, very expensive.

If you are leaving family behind when you come, a laptop is invalueable, spoke with hubby yesterday on msn with video and audio, it was wonderful, had it on for about an 2 hour while he was making supper etc. My poor wee dog is having a very hard time, I could see her roaming the house looking for me, husband said she is very sad, and for me I am missing her something awful. I am hoping to get everyone through as soon as possible as we are a close couple usually only apart when at work.

Tomorrow will be the day I go to get my National Insurance card, register for medical and dental etc. Ask your doctor to put all your medical records on a CD to give to Dr. here, much easier. MIne tried to charge for this and when i called College of Physcians was told as long as it was going from Dr. to Dr. they cannot charge at least in Canada not sure what the U.S. is like.

Today going to Morrisons, some kind of large store. will let you all know about my adventures today, bye for now.

Originally Posted by Relocateme
This is wonderful news Easterndawn!...you are safe and sound at home again.
Juat a thrill to read about the details...made a cuppa and sat to read every lovely detail...you bought a smile to my face...I will be reading it again after I get out of Uni tomorrow...keep posting won't you?...I love to hear about the kinds of foods you are finding and it's of great interest to learn of those things in the way of furniture etc., that are available for starting again since I know that I will be doing the very same thing when I arrive there...
you will never know how helpful this is!..Also I had been wondering about getting a netbook and if I could carry this on the aircraft as well as backpak and carry-on..I have books (teaching English) and wondered if I would be let on with it all. Well, do tell about the electrical connection for your laptop and how that is accomplished (purchasing transformer or what?)...In the meantime have fun and happy settling...awaiting next installment.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi again,

Just came back from Morrisons I think it is only in Scotland, lovely grocery store. My friend only had half an hour as she works from home and has to get something done before tomorrow, but I did take a good look at things and prices. Okay, where to begin, Pasta, no K.D. I am afraid at least I could not see any, did find peanut butter, smooth, crunchy, with chocolate chips, with candy pieces, with all sorts of things added prices ranged from 1pound 59p's to 2pound for a good sized jar. Salade dressings, no Miracle Whip, but lots of selections to choose from in the mayonaise area, prices from 1 pound 29p's to 4pound, this was a large bottle of Greek style dressing. What else, small chicken (whole) 3 for 10lb, pork chops, no bone, three very large ones 4pound for the package (not sure what they are feeding the pigs here, but would not want to meet them in the dark).

The isles were well spaced and very well arranged there was a good range of all sorts of food and prices were easy to find. It was nice also as I am just by myself right now, I was able to find smaller portions of most things. I did buy a hot water bottle as I find it a little chilly, the weather has been cloudy but no rain but I like to warm wheni go to bed, so if you are like me and you have a hot water bottle pack it in you suitcase, it will certainly come in handy.

This afternoon after I speak to hubby I am going to go on the bus for a little bit of a drive, planning on taking lots of pictures and seing some the sights and getting familiar with the driving, busses, etc. If anyone has any particular questions just ask and I will try to get the answers for you. I know that some things you just can`t get the answers on the internet. So bye for now will check in later this evening.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:52 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again,

Just came back from Morrisons I think it is only in Scotland, lovely grocery store. My friend only had half an hour as she works from home and has to get something done before tomorrow, but I did take a good look at things and prices. Okay, where to begin, Pasta, no K.D. I am afraid at least I could not see any, did find peanut butter, smooth, crunchy, with chocolate chips, with candy pieces, with all sorts of things added prices ranged from 1pound 59p's to 2pound for a good sized jar. Salade dressings, no Miracle Whip, but lots of selections to choose from in the mayonaise area, prices from 1 pound 29p's to 4pound, this was a large bottle of Greek style dressing. What else, small chicken (whole) 3 for 10lb, pork chops, no bone, three very large ones 4pound for the package (not sure what they are feeding the pigs here, but would not want to meet them in the dark).

The isles were well spaced and very well arranged there was a good range of all sorts of food and prices were easy to find. It was nice also as I am just by myself right now, I was able to find smaller portions of most things. I did buy a hot water bottle as I find it a little chilly, the weather has been cloudy but no rain but I like to warm wheni go to bed, so if you are like me and you have a hot water bottle pack it in you suitcase, it will certainly come in handy.

This afternoon after I speak to hubby I am going to go on the bus for a little bit of a drive, planning on taking lots of pictures and seing some the sights and getting familiar with the driving, busses, etc. If anyone has any particular questions just ask and I will try to get the answers for you. I know that some things you just can`t get the answers on the internet. So bye for now will check in later this evening.
Actually, Morrison's is a northern (England) company that until recently was family-run. It's my favourite for choice and cost. Was it the Anniesland Cross branch? That's the one I use. I think Morrison's only moved into Scotland fairly recently. They consistently have some of the best deals of all the supermarkets on wine and beer - not sure what that says about their customer base!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry I forgot to answer your question regarding currency, I took 1600pounds in cash and yes I know that might sound a little silly, but I did divide it into different lots and put it in different places. The rest my husband will send when i open bank account, which I plan to try and do tomorrow. I do know that you might be able to open one with HSBC two weeks before you leave and they will have the information at the nearest branch to where you ae planning on living. I could of done this on line, but preferred to do this after I arrived. I did use my credit cards in Iceland and Denmark with no problems, but found out that here in UK you must have your pin number to use them here. So if you don`t have a pin number you must get one although I think all the new ones now have one.

Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, all I know is that it is in KIlmarnock. Yes, I had a look at their wine and spirtits and saw that it was quite inexpensive. They are very nice store inside and everything is well placed. I looked more a the food isle`s so what does that say about me!

Actually I find I eat a lot less here than I did at home, not sure why, but this is a good thing as Martha would say

Originally Posted by dunroving
Actually, Morrison's is a northern (England) company that until recently was family-run. It's my favourite for choice and cost. Was it the Anniesland Cross branch? That's the one I use. I think Morrison's only moved into Scotland fairly recently. They consistently have some of the best deals of all the supermarkets on wine and beer - not sure what that says about their customer base!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 11:06 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, all I know is that it is in KIlmarnock. Yes, I had a look at their wine and spirtits and saw that it was quite inexpensive. They are very nice store inside and everything is well placed. I looked more a the food isle`s so what does that say about me!

Actually I find I eat a lot less here than I did at home, not sure why, but this is a good thing as Martha would say
Oops, should have remembered you were in the Kilmarnock area (I'm north of Glasgow).

I see you've noticed the chilly evenings/nights have just started to set in. We've had a pretty awful summer all-in-all, except for a few odd weeks here and there (one of which was my annual leave 2 weeks ago, Hallelujah.) Hope you've got your winter woolies at the ready!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Eastern Dawn, this is great getting all your daily updates!!! Especially all the details, sorry guys, you might not be so interested in types of salad dressings available, but us females, we lap it up!!! Keep the details coming Eastern Dawn, please.!! Give prices in pounds, that makes it easier for us to convert when we are all in different countries reading your posts. Thanks for advice re carrying cash in pounds. Interesting about credit cards needing pin #, I remember last time I was in the UK in 2006, I couldn't use a credit card anywhere, had to rely on my sister who lives there. It was that way in Germany this year too, in the town I had to have cash with me the whole time, except for one store. So, please tell, what cards do they accept, with/without pin? American Express?? Anxious to hear about opening up an account, seems that has proved very difficult for lots of posters. Good info on hot water bottle, had already planned on packing mine! My sister has always had one in the bed ready for me when I have come over, no matter what time of year!!! How do you like your friend's flat? Is it what you thought it would be like? And are the people friendly? Do you notice any major changes in the area, I think you were there before if I am right. As for laptop, I guess you had instant internet access where you are staying?? Can't wait for your next installment!!!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 1:01 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Oops, should have remembered you were in the Kilmarnock area (I'm north of Glasgow).

I see you've noticed the chilly evenings/nights have just started to set in. We've had a pretty awful summer all-in-all, except for a few odd weeks here and there (one of which was my annual leave 2 weeks ago, Hallelujah.) Hope you've got your winter woolies at the ready!
TUT, TUT, TUT... you all live in the wrong part of the UK

Can you believe my grandkids are at this very moment splashing about in the outdoor pool its that hot down here!!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
TUT, TUT, TUT... you all live in the wrong part of the UK

Can you believe my grandkids are at this very moment splashing about in the outdoor pool its that hot down here!!

Remind us where you are again??? We will all move there and join you!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 1:10 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Remind us where you are again??? We will all move there and join you!
I am in mid east Essex. I cant believe how hot it is this late in the year. Theres not even a breeze in the air. Been a great summer here. Nights are getting cooler though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.