Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 27th 2009, 3:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Easterdawn it sounds like you are having quite the adventure
I like Morrisons too, they are in Wales. You can look up their sales, and prices online if I remember right. They always have lots of sales/offers each week.
More shops to look out for to keep your costs down are, Home Bargains and Pound stretcher.
For salad dressing I go back to good old Heinz Salad Cream whenever I'm in UK.

You can use your credit card without a pin just tell them, it doesn't have chip and pin and they will run it the old fashioned way and have you sign, I did it all summer. Takes longer but it works.
Have fun on the Bus

Forgot to add, in Home Bargains they sell bottles of Dandelion and Burdock for about 39p each, this contributed to me gaining 6lbs this summer
Old Sep 27th 2009, 5:53 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I love Morrisons, myself, fantastic store. Very big selection. Yes, home bargains are fantastic for really low prices, and for those who are coming from USA, we regularly find bargains in there, for instance KC masterpiece bbq sauce- a big jar for 29P. Kraft mayonaise, really cheap. You can easily find thousand island salad dressing and ranch in a few places. There is also SKYCO, an online food ordering service in Manchester that stocks American food so that if you miss anything you can order it from there. I myself cant get enough of the taste I have missed since childhood...UMMMM!. The bakeries, oh yes, my weakness as well. Creams and ice creams are so creamy and fresh. Plentiful good fruit and veg.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi , our cards do have the chip in them and fortunately I do have the pin number. I haven't tried to use it since yesterday and at that time did not have pin number with me. Yes, I really like Heinz Salad D.ressing also, used to buy it every so often in Canada.

aes1: I think they take all the regular cards mine was visa but I remember seeing the sign for Mastercard also. My friends house is great I find it a little cool and that perhaps is the way she likes it though. Went for a long walk by myself and a few people stopped and talked with me. It was funny, one lady with a small dog was coming out of her house and her dog kept looking back at me. She finally stopped and by this time I had caught up to her. Her dog came over to me and I scratched her ears, she told me that was funny, because her dog usually was quite timid around people, well anyways she reconizes that I have different accent and she asks where I was from. I told her Canada and she asked if I was staying at Sadies, I explained that I was not, she said " Oh, Sadie has family from Canada staying with her" and I immediately thought I must be back home, as the village knows everything

Had a bit of an accident this evening, went to heat some water for my hot water bottle and put thegas stove on , put water in kettle, kettle on stove, went up stairs to get bottle and when i came back my friend was coming out of kitchen with strange look on her face. The kettle was an electric one, so I am now on hunt for Duck Egg Blue, Prestige Deco cordless electric kettle, can anyone help with this

Don't know if I will stay in this part of Ayrshire, I am going to go to Ayr tomorrow on the bus. It is only about 10 miles or so, so won't take me to long. Ayr is where I was born and is where I still have family and school chums living. I miss the sea and walking on the beach, but we will see. Want to make sure that I work and live in someplace that I will really enjoy before comitting to renting, buying a house or just getting really settled here.

I have stocked up with all my old favourites in the cupboard, large pickled onion, pickled beets, crusty bread. Another thing I found very interesting here is that they don't refridgerate the eggs, not even in the stores. I did have a Turkish Delight this afternoon, and is it was wonderful.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Easterdawn it sounds like you are having quite the adventure
I like Morrisons too, they are in Wales. You can look up their sales, and prices online if I remember right. They always have lots of sales/offers each week.
More shops to look out for to keep your costs down are, Home Bargains and Pound stretcher.
For salad dressing I go back to good old Heinz Salad Cream whenever I'm in UK.

You can use your credit card without a pin just tell them, it doesn't have chip and pin and they will run it the old fashioned way and have you sign, I did it all summer. Takes longer but it works.
Have fun on the Bus

Forgot to add, in Home Bargains they sell bottles of Dandelion and Burdock for about 39p each, this contributed to me gaining 6lbs this summer
Old Sep 27th 2009, 7:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Is it this
Or this
This one it the pale blue
Good luck getting another
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Did find one on the web but can't seem to get to link. She said she got her on Amazon .Uk perhaps I will try there also, thanks for the links though, the one I am am looking for is Duck Egg Blue almost a greeny blue.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Is it this
Or this
This one it the pale blue
Good luck getting another
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Did find one on the web but can't seem to get to link. She said she got her on Amazon .Uk perhaps I will try there also, thanks for the links though, the one I am am looking for is Duck Egg Blue almost a greeny blue.
Argos is great for kettles etc.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:18 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Is this it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prestige-Cor...4089812&sr=8-7
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I don't think that is duck egg blue....it's a pale green/blue colour. Maybe the darker colours are the new autumn/winter line and DEB was spring/summer.

Edit: I just Googled DEB and look what it came up with....http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...lue-kettle.asp
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:26 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't think that is duck egg blue....it's a pale green/blue colour. Maybe the darker colours are the new autumn/winter line and DEB was spring/summer.

Edit: I just Googled DEB and look what it came up with....http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...lue-kettle.asp
Ahh ok. That was the only blue colour on Amazon. I like that duck egg colour!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Had a bit of a wobbily tonight, when on MSN with husband he took of his earphones and it went to speaker, my poor dog was crying and running around the room looking for me as she could hear my voice but could not find her, then my Siberian Husky started to howl, it broke my heart.

Soon I will see them soon, I just have to keep focused. Thanks for all the people on this forum, you are like a family and is always good to see your comments on line. Good Night Everyone
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone , but when I went to this link it came up the right kettle but no-one seems to have one in that color, will just have to keep looking.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, unfortunately so does my girlfriend
Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Ahh ok. That was the only blue colour on Amazon. I like that duck egg colour!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Had a bit of a wobbily tonight, when on MSN with husband he took of his earphones and it went to speaker, my poor dog was crying and running around the room looking for me as she could hear my voice but could not find her, then my Siberian Husky started to howl, it broke my heart.

Soon I will see them soon, I just have to keep focused. Thanks for all the people on this forum, you are like a family and is always good to see your comments on line. Good Night Everyone
Chin up Eastern!
One if those kettles will come your way I know it and it's all only temporary with the dogs...they will be there before you know it....so will hubby! your the trailblazer at the moment and what a wonderful job you are doing with the scouting
Great info on the laptop I definitely will take the advice on the hairdryer.
Are you feeling the damp at night then or the temps are that low..I remember there used to be ice on the inside of the windows in our house in Cov..don't think we had heat in the bedrooms...I recall the weight of the blankets (three tons at least..ha)...

I loved hearing about the inside of Morrison's..did you get any sharp cheese for those large pickled onions then?
The wine and spirits sounds like a deal....I can remember the old faves ..Brandy & Babycham, Port & Lemon, Rum & Black, Rum & Pep, Gin & It...Oh Lore!..its all coming back now....I wish it was me back there already
It was great to get home tonight and see all the info about what you did yesterday and today....how are you doing with the jet-lag Eastern..is it not bad do have to have a lie down?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Good Morning ,
Not so bad with the jet lag really, just finding it hard to go to sleep and hard getting up early but it is getting better. I think the cold is just me really, the weather feels similiar to P.E.I. and yes got some good sharp cheese to go with the onions, mmm delicious.

Today is dedicated to getting all the stuff I need to go to work, NIS card etc, hoping most can be done today. Going to Ayr, as that is my hometown, so myuch more familiar with it than Kilmarnock and it is right by the sea which I miss terrible, so onward and upwards as they say. Hoping I will find kettle today or something that is similiar, bye for now

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Chin up Eastern!
One if those kettles will come your way I know it and it's all only temporary with the dogs...they will be there before you know it....so will hubby! your the trailblazer at the moment and what a wonderful job you are doing with the scouting
Great info on the laptop I definitely will take the advice on the hairdryer.
Are you feeling the damp at night then or the temps are that low..I remember there used to be ice on the inside of the windows in our house in Cov..don't think we had heat in the bedrooms...I recall the weight of the blankets (three tons at least..ha)...

I loved hearing about the inside of Morrison's..did you get any sharp cheese for those large pickled onions then?
The wine and spirits sounds like a deal....I can remember the old faves ..Brandy & Babycham, Port & Lemon, Rum & Black, Rum & Pep, Gin & It...Oh Lore!..its all coming back now....I wish it was me back there already
It was great to get home tonight and see all the info about what you did yesterday and today....how are you doing with the jet-lag Eastern..is it not bad do have to have a lie down?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good Evening,

Well here is my blog for the day. It was pouring rain when I left this morning, and as I grumbled all the way to the bus station I got there just as the bus was pulling away. This was not a good start to the day, I thought. Next bus ten minutes, well that okay then. Got into Kilmarnock and decided to taxi it to Job Centre, for two reasons , it was still pouring rain and I did not know where the place was. Taxi driver was very nice, as it was it wasn't very far away from Bus station but you had to around and through, the driver explained how to get back to the main street, very kind I thought as he could of just giving me his card and told me to ring when I needed t o get back, it cost 2 pounds 80p's

Everyone was very helpful at Job Centre and I was given the number to call to find out about my National Insurance Number. Called the number, gave my particulars and was told that I would have to attend an interview and what to bring to the interview so that I could be assigned a number, You will need the following, British Passport, Birth Certificate (if you have) and something with the address that you ae currently living in. Not sure how I will do that yet, the address thing everything else I have. For me the interview will be in Glasgow, I have to call tomorrow and find out when. Went to computers and looked for jobs found a few that I know i could do and that looked interesting. Called on the phones provided the numbers of the jobs that I had printed out. One would not take any information from me until I got my NIC number, which pissed me off a little as I had asked the lady on the phone if I could apply for jobs before I got it and she said not problem. Second call was much more successful, they will send me out application and I will interview next week, it is only 25 hours a week, 10;00AM TILL 3;00pm, Monday thru Friday, but I can always get another part time job in the interim. I have to start somewhere, and it would cover rent and food so I would not be spending savings.

Now next adventure , bank!!!!, They told me very nicely that I would need 3 pieces of ID, my passport would be fine, again with something from where you are living, with your name and address, and one other piece, she never did say what it should be. So still don't have a bank account going to go online this evening with HSBC and see what they say, will let you know.

By this time I was famished so stoped at little cafe and ordered breakfast, holy smoke, I only ordered scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. The amount that came could of fed my husband and I, left a lot on the plate, wished dogs were there they could of had a picnic.

Decided that I needed to go out of Kilmarnock for a while, so took bus to Ayr, it was lovely, although a bit windy. Walked past my old school, down the sea walk and then low and behold there it was, The Penny Arcade that we used to go to after school on a Friday, mind you slightly larger and much brighter, but in the same place. They had some slot machines off the back for adults, so of course can't let this go by without trying a few I came out with 38 pounds to the good. I do have to tell you though most of the buildings are the same but like us a little more worn and a little older, but just as nice. I sat in Wellington Square and remembered what it was like as teenager walking along the sea front trying to look at the boys without them knowing it, it's better now I can just look with my eyes wide open think, if only I was 20 years younger, ohhhh well, married I knowand happily I might add

It was nice to see the kids in school uniforms, though I can't remember been able to wear my skirts so short. I have always been a firm believer of uniforms being a social leveler of a kind for teenagers especially, no need to have the newest sneaker here to be popular.

By this time it looked like the rain was really going to come on , so headed to the buss station and returned to Kilmarnock. I think I will get a car sooner than later, although it is every handy to ride the bus for small things and this could just my Canadian kicking in I still would like to be able to go for longer drives when I would like to. So first the job then the car and then the living arrangements. As it will be difficult to view flats, houses without a vehicle. Then buying stuff and moving it in would be an nightmare. Insurance here is very inexpensive, you also pay a road tax once a year and your car is inspected every year but if you purchase a used car the inspections follow the car so you would not have to have it done until the time was up. I hope that is clear if not just ask and I will try to explain it better.

Back home now, everyone is out so very quiet. As much as I enjoy my friends company I will be glad to be in my own place again but this has been a good starting place. Will write more tomorrow or will answer any questions you might have later tonight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.