Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:07 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It took me around 5 years to decide to become a USC because of that very reason. Everyone told me I was being silly but I didn't want to treat taking another country's citizenship lightly. In the end I had to do what was best for me and my future...in case I go back to live in the UK and can't settle...so I became a USC.

Do it...you have nothing to lose but you may regret it if you don't.
I was eligible for about 9 or 10 years before I finally took the plunge. It's a tough choice to make. I went back and forth for a long time on it.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you moving to in Devon?

Originally Posted by magistrate
Hi again to all us aging Hippies
7 days to us going back to the UK,sold furniture for a song yesterday !and had my poor old cat put down ,my hubby was a rock and took him to the vet as I just could not face it again . We are now staying in a hotel in manchester ,uk as relatives unable to put us up for a couple of nights and then moving on with expensive hire car to our rental apartment in Devon .If only our house had sold here we would be in a far better situation financially but I live in hope .
We are both a little edgy right now ,12 years out of the Uk and I know things have changed obviously so will continue to post on this site with views on the UK and will be happy to answer any questions regarding things in the UK from people interested in returning .
A footnote ,when I am depressed I turn to You Tube and watch the funny British adverts past and present and tears of laughter watching the lancashire comedian ,Peter Kay,an absolute gem
Old Sep 18th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone give me some information regarding pay as you go mobile phones in Scotland. Went on web, but they had no information on what I would need to get one. Would like to get one as soon as I arrive, is that possible or do I have to be in UK for a few months to do this.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 11:27 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Can anyone give me some information regarding pay as you go mobile phones in Scotland. Went on web, but they had no information on what I would need to get one. Would like to get one as soon as I arrive, is that possible or do I have to be in UK for a few months to do this.
It's as simple as walking into a mobile phone shop and buying one. Or you could order online and get sent to wherever you'll be staying. Scotland/Wales/England are all hte same. Or you could ask someone to buy one for you ready for when you arrive. I "bought" a very basic Orange PAYG that way (i.e., my brother picked one up for me prior to arrival).
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dunroving,
Information is greatly appreciated, was going to take my one from here as it is set up for international, but decided it would be very expensive doing it that way. So will leave with husband and get one the day after arriving.

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's as simple as walking into a mobile phone shop and buying one. Or you could order online and get sent to wherever you'll be staying. Scotland/Wales/England are all hte same. Or you could ask someone to buy one for you ready for when you arrive. I "bought" a very basic Orange PAYG that way (i.e., my brother picked one up for me prior to arrival).
Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going back to the UK does becoming a US Citizen in anyway harm or change your UK status?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Thanks Dunroving,
Information is greatly appreciated, was going to take my one from here as it is set up for international, but decided it would be very expensive doing it that way. So will leave with husband and get one the day after arriving.
If you particularly like your current phone, providing it's compatible (I think tri-band is the correct term), you might be able to buy a really cheap PAYG and transfer the SIM card to your US phone. That way it's no longer an international call.

Caveat: I'm a mobile phone numpty, so just going on what my students tell me (and they know more about mobile phones than I ever will!)
Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:30 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It took me around 5 years to decide to become a USC because of that very reason. Everyone told me I was being silly but I didn't want to treat taking another country's citizenship lightly. In the end I had to do what was best for me and my future...in case I go back to live in the UK and can't settle...so I became a USC.

Do it...you have nothing to lose but you may regret it if you don't.
Exactly the same for me. Except it took me from 1995 till 2009 to finally go for citizenship.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Re pay as you go phone--I agree it is easy, I bought one for about 20 pounds a couple of years ago and use it every time I go back to uk.
Top-ups don't last long, though!

Re citizenship, I have just reread the citizenship oath in what I believe is its current form, and not only does it say you must renounce allegiance to any other country, it has you swear that you are making the oath "without any mental reserve or evasion."
So you can't even mentally say "I don't mean it really!" without perjuring yourself.
This makes me very uncomfortable.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, that's the oath for US citizenship I'm talking about; we've been discussing the pros and cons of taking it.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
If you are going back to the UK does becoming a US Citizen in anyway harm or change your UK status?
NO!!!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Just to clarify, that's the oath for US citizenship I'm talking about; we've been discussing the pros and cons of taking it.
The only con is that you will have to file a tax return with the IRS forever after. But since your husband is a USC and has to do so anyway, this will not change your tax liabilities in any way.

The UK does not care about your US allegiance and the US, despite the wording of the oath, does not care about your UK allegiance.

Since you have a USC husband and are planning to return to the UK, it would be extremely unwise to do so without first gaining US citizenship.

Your choice of course...
Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
The only con is that you will have to file a tax return with the IRS forever after. But since your husband is a USC and has to do so anyway, this will not change your tax liabilities in any way.

The UK does not care about your US allegiance and the US, despite the wording of the oath, does not care about your UK allegiance.

Since you have a USC husband and are planning to return to the UK, it would be extremely unwise to do so without first gaining US citizenship.
I agree. With a USC spouse, it's tough to see any downside of becoming a US citizen oneself, unless you're planning to dump them after moving back to the UK!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:01 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Re pay as you go phone--I agree it is easy, I bought one for about 20 pounds a couple of years ago and use it every time I go back to uk.
Top-ups don't last long, though!

Re citizenship, I have just reread the citizenship oath in what I believe is its current form, and not only does it say you must renounce allegiance to any other country, it has you swear that you are making the oath "without any mental reserve or evasion."
So you can't even mentally say "I don't mean it really!" without perjuring yourself.
This makes me very uncomfortable.
I think crossing your fingers when you say the oath is allowed, though.

But seriously, this has come up repeatedly on BE and as others have said previously in this thread, the wording is somewhat meaningless in practice (even though it means a big deal to a lot of people because taken literally, it's a tough thing to say out loud). You have the choice to stick to your guns but really, in your situation it makes a lot of sense to take a deep breath and just do it for a whole host of practical reasons.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
But seriously, this has come up repeatedly on BE and as others have said previously in this thread, the wording is somewhat meaningless in practice (even though it means a big deal to a lot of people because taken literally, it's a tough thing to say out loud). You have the choice to stick to your guns but really, in your situation it makes a lot of sense to take a deep breath and just do it for a whole host of practical reasons.
I stood silently during the oath ceremony.

I look on citizenship as a badge of convenience. I know that's a little cynical, but the way I look at it, I am a responsible productive "citizen" in the US so why shouldn't I avail myself of the advantages of actual citizenship?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.