Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 21st 2009, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Thanks for the good wishes, I certainly will keep posting on the forum and let you all know what it is like, the good and the bad....

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How exciting for you...all the best settling into life in the UK. If you get a chance when you are settled please post back and let us know how you are getting on.

Good luck.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Well just over 3 days left before I leave, doing all the little things that I think need to be done. I had nice surprise this afternoon a cousin from my dads side of the family contacted me through e-mail. Now I feel that I truly do have a connection to home.

It is strange to drive down a road that you have driven a thousand times and realize that next week you will be thousands of miles away from that road.
Good luck on your new adventure. I will envy you enjoying the banks and braes.
Let us know how you get on.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Thanks for the good wishes, I certainly will keep posting on the forum and let you all know what it is like, the good and the bad....
Me too...I want to add my good wishes to both Easterdawn and Trottytrue

...Time is getting close now and I am truly wishing you guys Godspeed and safe landings back in our Green and Pleasant Land.

Will be checking daily for news and to see how things went . My thoughts are with you often.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Good luck to Eastern Dawn and Magistrate - look for all of us in the baggage compartment when you land!! I wish we could all be there with you in body, but we will be in spirit!!! Bon voyage and let us hear from you when you get a chance
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Just a short note, today I received pictures form my new found cousin. In one of them was two older men. I couldn't reconise them at all, then I read the caption and they were two classmates. I thought when did we get old? It is a strange thing, you remember your classmates and friends as young never as old. Then it hits you right in the face your not 10 or 11 years old and it can be a little daunting.

At least now I can go in the pub instead of standing outside I will lift a drink to all those who have gone before me, (back home, I mean, not to the other side) and to all those who will come over soon, cheers
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

I haven't seen any posts on here for a couple of days..It must be getting really close on here for Trotty,Magistrate and Eastern..if not already cleared down and left.
I do not recall the day they were leaving...anyway I was wondering how much stuff in terms of baggage is everyone considering taking with them..would you be travelling light or taking the full allowance?
A previous poster mentioned something about the first transfer into bank account was free with ___________which bank was that?
Also, since UK will be my final port of call does anyone know of a bank that has branches in several places in the world?
Old Sep 25th 2009, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good Evening Everyone from Good Scotland:

I am finally home!!! Left Halifax last night, left with Icelanair, I was 17killos over on one suitcase and 7 killos on the other, they did not charge me for overweight yahoo I also had carry on , laptop and backpack, everything went through oka. I went the with the cheapest ticket. Blanket and pillows available without charge. Advised hubby to book and pay the extra 3 or 400 hundred and go comfort class. Better seating, I am short and from Iceland to Denmark had troubel getting comfortable. They came with Midland Brittish Airways to Glasgow, great flight, all drinks included spirits free and offered sandwiches at know charge.

Got into Glasgow at 4:20pm today, did not have to go through customs as I was comming from EU country to EU country. Was meeting friend within 10 minutes of landing. took bus to off airport site parking, driver helped with baggage, cost nothing.

Trip to home was great loved the green fields and winding roads, not used to driving on left side yet, but it will come. Had fish and chips delivered tonght cost 13pounds. Large portion, too much for me to eat. Going to get cell phone and a few bits and pieces tomorrow, so will write more then. Tired and missing husband and dogs very much, can't wait for them to come, husband will love it.

Originally Posted by Relocateme
I haven't seen any posts o. n here for a couple of days..It must be getting really close on here for Trotty,Magistrate and Eastern..if not already cleared down and left.
I do not recall the day they were leaving...anyway I was wondering how much stuff in terms of baggage is everyone considering taking with them..would you be travelling light or taking the full allowance?
A previous poster mentioned something about the first transfer into bank account was free with ___________which bank was that?
Also, since UK will be my final port of call does anyone know of a bank that has branches in several places in the world?
Old Sep 25th 2009, 10:24 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know of a bank that has branches in several places in the world?

HSBC (Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation) is major around the world.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for letting us know, Easterndawn! Keep us posted and good luck with the settling in!
Old Sep 25th 2009, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am finally home!!! Left Halifax last night, left with Icelanair, I was 17killos over on one suitcase and 7 killos on the other, they did not charge me for overweight yahoo I also had carry on , laptop and backpack, everything went through oka. I went the with the cheapest ticket. Blanket and pillows available without charge. Advised hubby to book and pay the extra 3 or 400 hundred and go comfort class. Better seating, I am short and from Iceland to Denmark had troubel getting comfortable. They came with Midland Brittish Airways to Glasgow, great flight, all drinks included spirits free and offered sandwiches at know charge.

Got into Glasgow at 4:20pm today, did not have to go through customs as I was comming from EU country to EU country. Was meeting friend within 10 minutes of landing. took bus to off airport site parking, driver helped with baggage, cost nothing.

Trip to home was great loved the green fields and winding roads, not used to driving on left side yet, but it will come. Had fish and chips delivered tonght cost 13pounds. Large portion, too much for me to eat. Going to get cell phone and a few bits and pieces tomorrow, so will write more then. Tired and missing husband and dogs very much, can't wait for them to come, husband will love it.
" Aw the best tae ye" good luck and keep in touch.
Rene
Old Sep 26th 2009, 12:59 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I hope your Hubby and Dogs can join you very soon. It sounds wonderful.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:28 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Easterndawn, so happy you made it alright. I did this four years ago so please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Its like a different world, innit??
Old Sep 26th 2009, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi,,
Well went to town this morning on the bus, so used to going everywhere in car. I certainly will lose weight here, with walking all the hills. Was impressed withthe bus system, they are all 100% run on recycled vegitable oil. Cost me 3 pounds for return ticke, which I did not think was bad at all. Did get a pay as you go phone paid 20 pound for it with 300 minutes. Bought some groceries, found that some things were much cheaper than Canada, butter cost me about $2.00 for a pound, bread very nice and crusty I may add was about $3.00, but I would pay more this type of bread if I could of ever got it back home. Went to M & S, clothes were about the same some a cheaper , but much better selection than I could find on the island. Saw a charity shop on the high street, stopped in to see what they had, as most charity shops in Canada are just rubbish, was very surprised to see a very nice leather couch, for 40 pounds that was in excellent condition and coffee tables, end tables, dining room tables, entertainment centre etc all priced between 5 and 15 pounds and they were definetly things that I would have no problem starting out with, all very good conditon and very clean no scratches etc. The charity was for a Hospice Foundation so it would all be for a good cause also.

My only problem is that the bakeries are so wonderfull it is a good thing they have those hills as you could gain a lot of weight eating them. For lunch had a cornish pastie it was delicious Getting along quite well with the currency so far and not quite as concerned with the driving on the left side today, so I don't think I will have as big a problem as I thought, will just take it slow at first.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 4:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,,
Well went to town this morning on the bus, so used to going everywhere in car. I certainly will lose weight here, with walking all the hills. Was impressed withthe bus system, they are all 100% run on recycled vegitable oil. Cost me 3 pounds for return ticke, which I did not think was bad at all. Did get a pay as you go phone paid 20 pound for it with 300 minutes. Bought some groceries, found that some things were much cheaper than Canada, butter cost me about $2.00 for a pound, bread very nice and crusty I may add was about $3.00, but I would pay more this type of bread if I could of ever got it back home. Went to M & S, clothes were about the same some a cheaper , but much better selection than I could find on the island. Saw a charity shop on the high street, stopped in to see what they had, as most charity shops in Canada are just rubbish, was very surprised to see a very nice leather couch, for 40 pounds that was in excellent condition and coffee tables, end tables, dining room tables, entertainment centre etc all priced between 5 and 15 pounds and they were definetly things that I would have no problem starting out with, all very good conditon and very clean no scratches etc. The charity was for a Hospice Foundation so it would all be for a good cause also.

My only problem is that the bakeries are so wonderfull it is a good thing they have those hills as you could gain a lot of weight eating them. For lunch had a cornish pastie it was delicious Getting along quite well with the currency so far and not quite as concerned with the driving on the left side today, so I don't think I will have as big a problem as I thought, will just take it slow at first.
You must be confused or mistaken 'cos the UK isn't like that at all...everything is a rip of and customer service is crap. Surely you must have encountered some knife weilding, drunken thugs...because they are everywhere.

Thank you for taking the time to report back so quickly. I'm pleased to hear you're liking what you are seeing and doing so far...I hope it keeps getting better and better.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
I thought it might be very helpful for all us middlies/oldies about to make that long swim across the ocean to learn from those already on shore in the UK again. Is there anything you would have done different to make the move/relocation easier? For instance, finding a place to live BEFORE moving, or a job, getting a credit card, renting out instead of selling a house here, scouting out more locations before settling, taking over more documents, shipping something you thought you wouldn't need, etc, etc. So this reaches out to those back in the UK, content and smug, curled up with their fish and chips - or even those still pulling their hair out, screaming WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!
Hello everyone I have been living in US for 32 years, I plan on returning to England within the next year, got to get my US citizenship first as I may want to return after a few years who knows, I know that I am very Americanised, and I am sure that I Will be missing a lot of things from here, I have no house to sale so I am kind of glad about that, I've been renting the whole time, I've lived in Nevada practically the whole time, so not much rain in the desert, have to get used to the rain again in England, and the much different lifestyle, I will be returning to my home town of Portsmouth and be living with my Mum in her house, she owns it so I will not have the expense of rent, but I will contribute fully with all the bills and food, It will be a lot cheaper for me and it will be cheaper for my Mum who is now 90 years old and in good health so far touch wood, we get on fine together and she is looking forward to my return as am I,
I will be 65 next year when I go back and will be receiving my monthly US social security check paid into my bank account over there by direct deposit, and I will also receive I have been told by the works & pensions dept over there 55 pounds per week from the british state pension, so I think it's a lot easier to go back home when you are retired with an income coming in regular, rather then have to search for work,
On my visits every three years or so over the years I have always gone back in the winter November for about 3 weeks that's all, I have a question for you all out there ----- whats with all the shopping? every time I go back all my family seem to want to do is go to the malls and shop or just look, and when there bored with the ones in Portsmouth then they go explore other towns & villages near by ---- straight to the nearest shopping mall UGH I think though the Women mostly want to go shopping or looking at shops and the man just kind of tags along cause he can't seem to think of anything better or more interesting to do with there spare time either, I always see couples in malls, often I see the man especially the older ones just sitting in a seat in the mall and just letting the wife do her thing and then she comes back after a while to collect her Husband as though she's picking up her child, then I notice the bored look on the mans face, and I've heard them say OK is that it do we go home now? and she says no not yet we still have a lot more shops to see yet,
Owwwww this would just make me want to scream, They make a whole day of it, after about 4 hours they take a break and have a bite to eat in one of the places in the food court inside the mall, cup of tea or coffee with a nice sandwhich or scone with butter and jam, emm emm now that part I do enjoy, but then right back to shopping again
So are there any comments on this shopping obsession the British people seem to have, It seems to me British people who live there all there lives who have never lived in another country seem to get into this RUT, but the sad thing is they are not aware of it, after all everyone they know does the very same thing in there spare time, when I do go back I will always be thinking of different things to do and places to go, as there are many !!!! I will not try to change my Mother but I will respectfully suggest lots of different things for us to do, and she is very open minded and she I know will go along with it and will enjoy the different things we do together too,
It just seems to me the average Brit young or old living in UK seem to lack the interest in new things, seem to lack what it takes to use ones own initiative,
Regards to all and good luck on everyones move back to the old country,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.