Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 30th 2009, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by alba1
I am big on cut/copy and paste. Open up a folder for documents, copy and paste. Then you can paste all info into same folder. can be opened when needed to read and/or print.
Thanks, TT and Alba 1. I like copy and paste too, I will make this a task for New Year's Day!!
Old Dec 31st 2009, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Sincerely wishing everyone on the over 50's moving back site and wonderful New Year!

May it us see with our houses sold, returned to UK,travels accomplished, reunited with loved ones and all the blessings life has to offer!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Last edited by Relocateme; Dec 31st 2009 at 9:34 pm. Reason: missed a word
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:58 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reginac7
Thank you, everyone, for the advice and links!! They are excellent and it is a great relief to me to have some anchoring information at last. It is daunting to do this, but worth it. Having help in knowing what to expect is just grand.

I can't yet reply to individual messages, according to the moderating rules, but after my next post I can. I have more questions so I'll add them into my third posting later today, so I become eligible individual replies... :-)

Again, thank you for such on-the-mark answers and advice...
When we first thought about coming back this forum was so excellent for answering the basic questions. Nearly two years on, the answers all seem obvious, but at the time I hadn't a clue.

For one thing, the HSBC route has worked really well for us and I might not have known without MBTUK.

Bev
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

I second this motion, Happy New Year everyone
Originally Posted by Relocateme
Sincerely wishing everyone on the over 50's moving back site and wonderful New Year!

May it us see with our houses sold, returned to UK,travels accomplished, reunited with loved ones and all the blessings life has to offer!

Happy New Year Everyone!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I also wish everyone on this forum and Happy New Year and may we all have our wishes come true for this new year and if not may we have the strength and determination to carry on till we eventually we reach our goals.

God Bless you All.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I also wish everyone on this forum and Happy New Year and may we all have our wishes come true for this new year and if not may we have the strength and determination to carry on till we eventually we reach our goals.

God Bless you All.
Back at you too!!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bevm
When we first thought about coming back this forum was so excellent for answering the basic questions. Nearly two years on, the answers all seem obvious, but at the time I hadn't a clue.

For one thing, the HSBC route has worked really well for us and I might not have known without MBTUK.

Bev
Oooo good I feel confident about putting all my dough in there then when I sell the house...and she did tell me at the inquiry desk that the first transfer is free...I really feel as though HSBC have a good thing going with the worldwide thing

So thanks for that info Bev...I saw you with the food prices on the other line ...do you know the price of a can of sockeye 213g Wild Sockeye normally $2 here in Cda give or take...
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Anne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to all

I am new here not even sure if I am doing this correctly but I have read every single thread here and love the story of the lady with the big sheep dog Easterndawn. I have been in us 32 years Jan 11th and have 3 children all born here. My youngest son aged 24 passed away in September and I am completely heartbroken and as a single lady so very alone in this grief. Although I have just a mother living in Maidenhead she is 80 and a sister in Dorset I have many friends here but still want to go home particularly now. I just don't know what to do so come here to read and get some hope from all of you.

PS: My son had leukemia and although I have worked all of those 32 years I had to file bankruptcy I am penniless. I feel torn about leaving my older son and daughter and yet my sons death has taught me that you never know how long on earth you have. I have never really settled here even after 32 years. I feel somewhat that I am going home with tail between legs but long to be there just the same. I have a green card also one of those that did not want to take the oath and so never pledged it. My green card has no expiration date on it since I have been here so long. I am 51 and feel if Easterndawn can do it so maybe can I but of course life is sometimes fear driven and pervents us from doing what we really want to do. I miss my son so much it is often unbearable I think that a complete change would help but again the confusion sets in. Thanks for letting me ramble so late at night.

Last edited by Anne188; Jan 3rd 2010 at 4:53 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:17 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne188
I am new here not even sure if I am doing this correctly but I have read every single thread here and love the story of the lady with the big sheep dog Easterndawn. I have been in us 32 years Jan 11th and have 3 children all born here. My youngest son aged 24 passed away in September and I am completely heartbroken and as a single lady so very alone in this grief. Although I have just a mother living in Maidenhead she is 80 and a sister in Dorset I have many friends here but still want to go home particularly now. I just don't know what to do so come here to read and get some hope from all of you.

PS: My son had leukemia and although I have worked all of those 32 years I had to file bankruptcy I am penniless. I feel torn about leaving my older son and daughter and yet my sons death has taught me that you never know how long on earth you have. I have never really settled here even after 32 years. I feel somewhat that I am going home with tail between legs but long to be there just the same. I have a green card also one of those that did not want to take the oath and so never pledged it. My green card has no expiration date on it since I have been here so long. I am 51 and feel if Easterndawn can do it so maybe can I but of course life is sometimes fear driven and pervents us from doing what we really want to do. I miss my son so much it is often unbearable I think that a complete change would help but again the confusion sets in. Thanks for letting me ramble so late at night.
So very sorry to hear about your son. I cannot even begin to imagine...

I hope you get to realise your dream of returning home. (But please do make sure you get your citizenship before you leave.)

Wishing you all the best.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

That is a heartbreaking story, I am so sorry for your loss and wish you all the very best with your plans.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Anne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to all

Thanks for kind words. I will keep reading and try to figure out what to do. As far as getting US citizenship it costs over $1000,00 so would not be able to persue that as I said the cost of Adam's medical bills and not being able to work for almost two years to take care of him have rendered me incapable of sometimes even groceries but I will survive somehow I just have to keep breathing for now.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:41 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for kind words. I will keep reading and try to figure out what to do. As far as getting US citizenship it costs over $1000,00 so would not be able to persue that as I said the cost of Adam's medical bills and not being able to work for almost two years to take care of him have rendered me incapable of sometimes even groceries but I will survive somehow I just have to keep breathing for now.
The fees are $675. Given that you have not lived in the UK for decades and have 2 children remaining in te US - and potential grandchildren down the road... - it would probably be unwise to return to the UK without first gaining US citizenship. Imagine if one day you decided you wanted to return to live in the US and couldn't...

Also, you'll need funds to establish yourself in the UK, for flat deposits and the like, and living expenses until you find a job. I realise you probably just want to be gone, but you have to be realistic and plan this move properly. I know this must be incredibly difficult as you are still in the acute stage of grieving for your son.

Yours must be an incredibly difficult situation to be in and I wish you well.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:47 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
The fees are $675. Given that you have not lived in the UK for decades and have 2 children remaining in te US - and potential grandchildren down the road... - it would probably be unwise to return to the UK without first gaining US citizenship. Imagine if one day you decided you wanted to return to live in the US and couldn't...

Also, you'll need funds to establish yourself in the UK, for flat deposits and the like, and living expenses until you find a job. I realise you probably just want to be gone, but you have to be realistic and plan this move properly. I know this must be incredibly difficult as you are still in the acute stage of grieving for your son.

Yours must be an incredibly difficult situation to be in and I wish you well.
I second that. Try not to burn your bridges.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Anne,

My heart goes out to you, no one should have to bury a child, that is not the order of the the universe. I was having lunch with a couple of friends yesterday and one asked me if with all the problems that I had encountered was I still glad that I had moved back. The answer is yes, this is home, and like yourself over there never was. Your grief is still very raw, give yourself time, and during this time, make concrete plans for your return. Talk to your kids, don't lock them out as they are hurting also. Let them know what you would like to do, can they assist you financially. Don't give up, you have come so far, and although you must feel like the mountain keeps growing you will eventually reach the top and see the beautiful world that is still there. Wishing you hope, health and love in the new year.

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Great advice from everyone, thanks so much for it I appreciate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.