Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

I am settling in to the fact that we will be here for another few months as nothing sells in the Winter.

Trottytrue, that may be true, I think it depends more on the location of the house. Mine is on the market in Charleston, a vacation city, 15 minutes from downtown and 10 minutes from the beach, so it is a prime location and I am keeping fingers crossed it won't take too long to sell. My citizenship interview is Nov2, so I can't move before I have that and a US passport. But, if I have to wait till early Spring, then so be it. However, I am not giving up hope for a quick sale and I am putting out all the thoughts, vibes I can - plus I am going to bury St Joseph in the front yard!! Have had several friends do this successfully!!! I hope you don't have to be Catholic.........if I have to convert to sell this house............
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Just an added thought to those who are really homesick and wanted to go home without selling their home. When you dont have the money to make your life easier when you get to the UK it can make the move much worse and you might think you have made a mistake, whereas if you wait till you have got the money behind you then your future is much more secure and the UK will be alot more welcoming.
Also check out whether you will be taxed on the profit once you're no longer a resident if you do decide to leave before selling your property.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

No, the pain is to high up to be the ribs, it is around the shoulder blade area, but she can do range of motion with her arms, shoulders. Hurts to breath she said.

I agree with what you have said but for myself this was not an option. My husband was diagnosed 3 years ago with the very early symptoms of Altzheimers and even though he is very stable and if you did not know him well you would never suspect he has the disease. When we eventually sell the house, there will very little left, after paying the real estate, lawyers etc. anyway, enough to send personal items, get the dogs and hubby through and a little left over, if it sells a little under the price we have set at this time. It was necessary for me to come and pave the way, get allthe kinks out the way before he comes over, the stress of dealing with some of the things here would cause him stress and stress can cause the disease to show its ugly head.

He is my soul mate and has given me so much in my life that I had to do this for him, even though he does not know this is why I came early. When he comes, I hope for three things, that I will be working, that we willhave a pernament place to live and that we will have many more years together to enjoy this country. Thank goodness for the internet and MSN as this way I can speak with him every night and see for myself how he is coping.

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Just an added thought to those who are really homesick and wanted to go home without selling their home. When you dont have the money to make your life easier when you get to the UK it can make the move much worse and you might think you have made a mistake, whereas if you wait till you have got the money behind you then your future is much more secure and the UK will be alot more welcoming.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Why do you have to take Residency Test if you are British Citizen? Sorry I seem to have misunderstood, I thought you were both British Citizens.
Because, as has been pointed out before on this thread, citizenship and residency are not the same thing.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

I do understand that, but why is I have not be asked to do the same?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Because, as has been pointed out before on this thread, citizenship and residency are not the same thing.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just looked up the UK Residency Test site, and after reading not intently it seems to me here it means the same thing. They seem to be talking about if you are from a country and wish to take up permanent residency in the UK. There is nothing in the document that I could see, that said if you are a UK citizen you had to take this test, I could be wrong and perhaps if it true that Citizens coming back to the UK have to take this test then I have missed that statement.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No, the pain is to high up to be the ribs, it is around the shoulder blade area, but she can do range of motion with her arms, shoulders. Hurts to breath she said.

I agree with what you have said but for myself this was not an option. My husband was diagnosed 3 years ago with the very early symptoms of Altzheimers and even though he is very stable and if you did not know him well you would never suspect he has the disease. When we eventually sell the house, there will very little left, after paying the real estate, lawyers etc. anyway, enough to send personal items, get the dogs and hubby through and a little left over, if it sells a little under the price we have set at this time. It was necessary for me to come and pave the way, get allthe kinks out the way before he comes over, the stress of dealing with some of the things here would cause him stress and stress can cause the disease to show its ugly head.

He is my soul mate and has given me so much in my life that I had to do this for him, even though he does not know this is why I came early. When he comes, I hope for three things, that I will be working, that we willhave a pernament place to live and that we will have many more years together to enjoy this country. Thank goodness for the internet and MSN as this way I can speak with him every night and see for myself how he is coping.
I hope you sell your house quickly so your husband can join you and that you both get to share many happy years together in the UK.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Just read your post. You are so courageous and such a giving and kind person, this is obvious. My heart goes out to you If I had a magic wand, I would instantly grant you your three wishes. But I am sure you WILL get them all without me, just keep hoping and believing, all thoughts become things, and I will send out my wish that you are both together again SOON. Keep posting, we are all here listening and validating.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:34 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked up the UK Residency Test site, and after reading not intently it seems to me here it means the same thing. They seem to be talking about if you are from a country and wish to take up permanent residency in the UK. There is nothing in the document that I could see, that said if you are a UK citizen you had to take this test, I could be wrong and perhaps if it true that Citizens coming back to the UK have to take this test then I have missed that statement.
The Habitual Residency Test applies to UKCs too. They want to make sure that people have returned permanently and aren't just in the UK to get healthcare or benefits before leaving again. I've never looked at it in any detail, but I think one has to show that one has given up one's home in the country from which one is returning, and that one is taking other steps to establish residency in the UK, such as renting or buying a house, looking for work, etc.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
The Habitual Residency Test applies to UKCs too. They want to make sure that people have returned permanently and aren't just in the UK to get healthcare or benefits before leaving again. I've never looked at it in any detail, but I think one has to show that one has given up one's home in the country from which one is returning, and that one is taking other steps to establish residency in the UK, such as renting or buying a house, looking for work, etc.
And quite a lot fail it...

In the 12 months to the end of November 2008, 2,948 habitual residence tests were failed by British nationals.
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/...1-15b.241561.h
Old Oct 1st 2009, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Easterdawn I am sorry I do hope you sell your house soon. Life does throw some nasty things at us. My husband just turned 73 he is still working full time but earlier this year he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and just recently had his knee replaced.
I see a big change in him. He really is slowing down and it worries me. I am worried that if it takes too long to sell the house he might be at the point where he will not be able to make the move to the UK and then what do I do. Its been over 3 years since we started down this road and I get very disheartened at times.
He has decided to retire as at this point we dont see that him working is helping his health. He has a very stressful job and the drive takes him nearly an hour to get to work.
I have St.Joseph buried underneath the 'for sale' sign and pointing in or is it out I forget now. I shall have to dig it up when we change estate agents and then re-bury it. I did read that unless you have real faith in it St. Joseph and pray it wont work for you.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Okay, no one asked me to do this test yet, will wait and see

Originally Posted by Elvira
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Easterndawn, from what I understand about the Habitual Residency Test is that it would only affect you if you are planning on applying for any kind of welfare benefit, so don't worry about it right now.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the clarification

Originally Posted by Boodles
Easterndawn, from what I understand about the Habitual Residency Test is that it would only affect you if you are planning on applying for any kind of welfare benefit, so don't worry about it right now.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification

Easterndawn, don't worry over something about which you don't have the full details and facts, and which doesn't seem to be even affecting you at the minute anyway. Same for you Trottytrue (loving wishes to you too)- trying to foresee the future with or without your husband. That's doing the 'what if......' thing, which 9 times out of 10 is a total waste of our time and energy. Most of our problems solve themselves without any help from us! (This advice is for me too!!) You both are showing me that this particular moment is the only one we have any control over, and to enjoy it as best we are able. I vote we all think loving thoughts and only post positive info for a while!!! Now, off to find my spade and dig a hole for St Joseph, (maybe I'll find some buried treasure!!!) - and down on my knees to pray............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.