Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Mar 10th 2010, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
And with his Yankee accent they will think he's a American sailor visiting Portsmouth, so he can kiss the gals and (pretend to) say goodbye. I'll still be reading this thread to keep up with his tales!!!!!!!!!

Hi Barb, yes very funny indeed
That reminds me when I was a boy growing up in Portsmouth I used to hear of all the Yankee ships coming in to Portsmouth and the Brit men would get jealous of the yank sailors going out with the English girls, buying them drinks in the pubs by the Docks and spending money on them cause the yanks would be making about three times the amount in wages then the British Sailor,
And many Girls married the yank sailors and they brought them to U.S. and started a new life over here ------- and now have children and grand kids all grown up in America,
I wonder if there are any women here on this thread that this happened to way back then?
So for me Barb, for me to get popular with the Girls when I go back I would have to I suppose have a nice night on the town and visit one of these pubs down in (old Portsmouth) as the area is called down by the Docks, many of the very old Pubs down there still exsist dating back to before the 1200's
Of course at my age I may have to pretend that I am Popeye and always make sure that I have my pipe and a can of spinach with me too,
Rodney.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Unfortunately we here in Canada get old right enough...the old walk around inside the communty halls every Mon, Wed and Friday..due to our changing climate the ice sometimes can constitute a hazard.

Walking on snow sounds nice in JokkMokk must be in the countryside then?

Are you moving back to Uk?
Yes just like you Relocateme, we here in Las Vegas in the freaking middle of the desert get old right enough too, what with the extreme temps of 110 F. to 120 F. for most of the long Summer about 6 months, no rain or humidity, nothing but dry air and scorching sun to dry up every inch of your skin, you just shrivel up like a prune,
Rodney.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes just like you Relocateme, we here in Las Vegas in the freaking middle of the desert get old right enough too, what with the extreme temps of 110 F. to 120 F. for most of the long Summer about 6 months, no rain or humidity, nothing but dry air and scorching sun to dry up every inch of your skin, you just shrivel up like a prune,
Rodney.
Poor Rodney stuck in Vegas. I hear people all the time say "Oh lets go to Las Vegas" and I think "Why?" it's dry enough here it ages you prematurely, But once we hit 100 I'm a hermit crab. I stay out of it, and those 110's kill me, no way I'd survive 120
Old Mar 10th 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Arizona when it reached 122 degrees about 15-20 years ago. one of hottest days in long time. the bleeding roomie I had at the time had ac that went out. me and dog went to motel - same crap happened. Good thing is I dropped 10lbs in one day I have lived in Arizona for 22 years and believe me don't care if ever see the sun again. had enough of it but that's just me. a few more weeks too hot to do anything..
Old Mar 10th 2010, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Hello Relocateme.

tea gets cold too fast in a cereal bowl...

Quick question for you..about banking..

Are you keeping your canadian bank account open after you leave and once you have settled in the UK and opened a British account intend to transfer all your monies in one transfer to your new account and then finally close your bank in Canada from Britain ??

cheers...Taffy
No not keeping CIBC Canadian bank account open. I am just opening account with HSBC..the world bank..first transfer is free they will arrange British account at this end ..and can use their debit card as a travel card

Closing CIBC account in Canada as soon as may be before leaving..when settling mortgage issues
Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

No not keeping CIBC Canadian bank account open. I am just opening account with HSBC..the world bank..first transfer is free they will arrange British account at this end ..and can use their debit card as a travel card

Closing CIBC account in Canada as soon as may be before leaving..when settling mortgage issues
Thanks very much for the info...I was looking into HSBC myself...may I ask you what type of account are you opening with HSBC in Canada..I like the idea that the first transfer is free...I was looking into a their passport account is that the account you are opening ? For them to set up a UK account before you leave is wonderful and especially the use of their debit card for travel...any more info would be very much appreciated...thanx again...

cheers...Taffy
Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hello everyone I thought I would share this with you...every year when we go back to North Wales one of our favourite places to visit is LLyn Brenig...can you imagine just throwing down a blanket relaxing with a British style pinic...open the hamper honey...

cheers....Taffy
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-image027-1.jpg  
Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:52 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone I thought I would share this with you...every year when we go back to North Wales one of our favourite places to visit is LLyn Brenig...can you imagine just throwing down a blanket relaxing with a British style pinic...open the hamper honey...

cheers....Taffy
Lovely spot Taffy, but you really need to sort your vocabulary out before coming home.

It's LUV not honey!!

Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Lovely spot Taffy, but you really need to sort your vocabulary out before coming home.

It's LUV not honey!!

Thanks Luv...I guess I've been too Canadianized over the years EH!

Cheers...Taffy
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Thanks Luv...I guess I've been too Canadianized over the years EH!

Cheers...Taffy
Or pet or pet lamb if you come from the North like I do!

Rodney, I bet you were a canny lad in your day, or still are!!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:46 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Barb, yes very funny indeed
That reminds me when I was a boy growing up in Portsmouth I used to hear of all the Yankee ships coming in to Portsmouth and the Brit men would get jealous of the yank sailors going out with the English girls, buying them drinks in the pubs by the Docks and spending money on them cause the yanks would be making about three times the amount in wages then the British Sailor,
And many Girls married the yank sailors and they brought them to U.S. and started a new life over here ------- and now have children and grand kids all grown up in America,
I wonder if there are any women here on this thread that this happened to way back then?
So for me Barb, for me to get popular with the Girls when I go back I would have to I suppose have a nice night on the town and visit one of these pubs down in (old Portsmouth) as the area is called down by the Docks, many of the very old Pubs down there still exsist dating back to before the 1200's
Of course at my age I may have to pretend that I am Popeye and always make sure that I have my pipe and a can of spinach with me too,
Rodney.
My mum has been known to talk about those days Rodney, she used to go to dances at Burtonwood I believe.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Lapland Loungers is an unknown quantity at this point

What made you go to Sweden...family? and if you leave will you go to a place thats warm all year?
We live in my grandparents house. Mother Swedish, father English. They met here in the 60,s and moved to the UK when I was 3 or 4. My husband is Essex through and through but loves it here. We have been visiting for over 20 years and finally decided to try it full time for a while. Five years later two other families have followed us over to the same area, one we know and one we don't. My husband fancy´s India for a few years and then back here, but he will be going on his own. Really can't see us leaving at the moment though. Perhaps when we are older.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lapland Loungers
We live in my grandparents house. Mother Swedish, father English. They met here in the 60,s and moved to the UK when I was 3 or 4. My husband is Essex through and through but loves it here. We have been visiting for over 20 years and finally decided to try it full time for a while. Five years later two other families have followed us over to the same area, one we know and one we don't. My husband fancy´s India for a few years and then back here, but he will be going on his own. Really can't see us leaving at the moment though. Perhaps when we are older.
My friend married a Swedish guy in the 1970's went to live in Stockholm and even though her marriage did'nt last, she is still there, married again to another Swede has 2 children, one who is in the navy as a submarine engineer, (her daughter) and would never come back to UK, although she comes home a lot to see her family. She loves Sweden, went ot visit her a few years ago in December for her birthday, (freezing) and again for mid summer, beautiful, its a beautiful country, how did you find the language barrier, or do you and your husband speak swedish?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:34 am
Just Joined

Lapland Loungers is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't speak Swedish when I lived in the UK as the other kids laughed at my accent. We both started from scratch and had heard Swedish every summer for 20 years. Its five years now and we can have a pretty good basic conversation. Reading is hard. Most of our friends are Swedish and as soon as they thought we had a basic grip they only spoke Swedish to us, after about 18 months to 2 years. We don't work with Swedish which is a shame to some extent, as we know Brits and other nationals who do and they have learnt much faster than us. Having said that, one English couple who moved here won't even say hello in Swedish after 2 years. Its embarrassing to speak another language apparently
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lapland Loungers
I wouldn't speak Swedish when I lived in the UK as the other kids laughed at my accent. We both started from scratch and had heard Swedish every summer for 20 years. Its five years now and we can have a pretty good basic conversation. Reading is hard. Most of our friends are Swedish and as soon as they thought we had a basic grip they only spoke Swedish to us, after about 18 months to 2 years. We don't work with Swedish which is a shame to some extent, as we know Brits and other nationals who do and they have learnt much faster than us. Having said that, one English couple who moved here won't even say hello in Swedish after 2 years. Its embarrassing to speak another language apparently
When my friend went over in the 70's the government paid for her to go to classes to learn the language, she works for a large swedish company and is fluent, I think having 2 languages is fantastic, we from the UK are mostly lazy when it comes to learning another language myself included:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.