Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Thanks very much for the info...I was looking into HSBC myself...may I ask you what type of account are you opening with HSBC in Canada..I like the idea that the first transfer is free...I was looking into a their passport account is that the account you are opening ? For them to set up a UK account before you leave is wonderful and especially the use of their debit card for travel...any more info would be very much appreciated...thanx again...

cheers...Taffy
I went in to see the manager in the summer time and had a sit down with her..as far as I can remember after her asking what I had planned,..she offered the "Premier " account as the option for me. Don't recall a talk on the passport account but I will for sure be going in again this coming week for more info..you should look up your local bank and get the email of the manager there so you can pick their brain a bit
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lapland Loungers
We live in my grandparents house. Mother Swedish, father English. They met here in the 60,s and moved to the UK when I was 3 or 4. My husband is Essex through and through but loves it here. We have been visiting for over 20 years and finally decided to try it full time for a while. Five years later two other families have followed us over to the same area, one we know and one we don't. My husband fancy´s India for a few years and then back here, but he will be going on his own. Really can't see us leaving at the moment though. Perhaps when we are older.
India ...I have always fancied Shimla myself where its cooler and so picturesque and lovely parts in the Kashmir
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1

Or pet or pet lamb if you come from the North like I do!

Rodney, I bet you were a canny lad in your day, or still are!!
Well Anna, yes as I remember ------ I did have my moments, Ahhhh what would we do without all our glorius memories
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasper123
Well Anna, yes as I remember ------ I did have my moments, Ahhhh what would we do without all our glorius memories
Yes, indeed. Problem is I can't remember that much! Nothing to do with age, I have always been quick to learn, yet quick to forget! Now what was my ex's name????
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Hello everyone I thought I would share this with you...every year when we go back to North Wales one of our favourite places to visit is LLyn Brenig...can you imagine just throwing down a blanket relaxing with a British style pinic...open the hamper honey...

cheers....Taffy
Taffy I can just picture myself there right now, what a beautiful spot, my Dad was from south wales but I have been to north wales too and the whole of the country is just beautiful,
Isn't it funny we travel the world live in different countries but we never seem to see too much of our own country, I have never been to Ed's neck of the woods ---- Scotland and never been to Ireland either, never even been up north of England, went to the middle once to Birmingham and that was only cause my Uncle married a Brummie and my family went there for there wedding,
Maybe its cause most of us left our home country at a very early age,
But I definitely want to see Scotland and Ireland when I go back, I will get there one day, and I want to see a whole lot more of Wales too, thanx for sharing the pic with us Taffy,
Rodney.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Relocateme
India ...I have always fancied Shimla myself where its cooler and so picturesque and lovely parts in the Kashmir
Yes I remember when I was in India traveling back overland to France and then onto England by Ferry, I stopped at a lot of places in India but really only remember the big cities like Madras and Calcutta & New Deli & Benares is that how you spell it where the Taj Mahal is, but from Calcutta I took the bus up to Kathmandu where I spent a lovely 5 weeks living in a large room of about 20 fellow hippies Gals and Guys, playing our guitars and just generally kicking back and enjoying the moment ------ this was a different time in history though it was 1969 when I was coming back from Australia after living there for 4 years, I was 24 ----- Oh those were the days in our youth, the things we all did and the places weve seen,
Memories ----- da da da da da da da ---- like the old song goes,
Rodney.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aes1
Yes, indeed. Problem is I can't remember that much! Nothing to do with age, I have always been quick to learn, yet quick to forget! Now what was my ex's name????
I know what you mean Anna, I have a very good memory of years ago, I can go back a long way, but I do suffer from short time memory loss, I do remember my ex's name but what did I have for breakfast yesterday
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishmum
From time to time (when I need a 'Brit Fix') I like to look at a thread posted on an expat site for American & Canadian expats living in the UK.

Someone started a thread (back in 2004 and still ongoing) asking their compatriates what they liked about living in the UK and what they would miss if/when they move back to their home country.

The title is: "I need to hear good things about the UK"

It runs to 15 pages! So if you feel inclined to read it, make a cuppa, pull up a chair and it may help you in your decision about whether or not you feel you should move back to the UK or not....

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=3338.0

One comment really was mind-opening for me - "Christmas carol services in a church older than my country". I was married in a tiny Norman church in the country (Warwickshire) and I do smile ruefully when something over here (New Jersey) dating from Victorian times is considered 'historic'....
Hi Englishmum,
Thanx so much for posting that particular thread on uk-yankee.com Ive checked the site out before but never saw this thread ------ (I need to hear good things about the UK) Wow I started from the begining from the first post in 2004 and read every page right up till the latest post this year, it took me a while but after reading all these positive things about living in UK, any doubts or fears that I may have had before I had no longer,
And what got me was that just about all these people that posted were not Brit expats like us but they were mostly Americans and Canadians who simply decided to live permanently in UK, and have been there for years with there families, you will not hear a single negative comment about living in the UK on that thread,
Well when I finished reading all the posts last night on that site I can truly say that my heart just opened up to my home country and my people, and I really cant hardly wait to get over there now and start the final chapter of my life,
I never thought that I missed so many things, cause I just got so wrapped up with life over here in US as I think we all do and we just forget all the great things and advantages there are of living in UK, and there are (SO MANY)
So thanx again Englishmum, you certainly helped me and now I am truly focused,
And I recommend to anyone on our thread here that are not completely sure that they have made the right decision or they just have a few doubts, this is the Brit Fix that you need, go read the posts when you get the time,
Rodney.
talk.uk-yankee.com and go to the thread (I need to hear good things about the UK)
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:58 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed, as well, as I speak to my relatives and also work colleagues, how few of them have actually seen much of their own country! I think since I left, being so young. I have a great desire to see as much of my country as I can. I was shocked the other day at work when a colleague of mine said he would be going to London at the weekend. He has never been before and he is almost 30! Since I have returned I have been to London approximately 2 times a year, and also been to Devon, Scotland, (twice-once to Glasgow and the other to Edinburgh), parts of Shropshire, the Peak district, around Warwickshire, Gloucester, all around Nottingham and Sherwood forest (Robin Hood was a childhood hero. ), Manchester, Birmingham (shopping ), Chester...oh the list goes on. I simply cant see enough. I suppose after living in the states so long that going nearly anywhere here doesnt seem so far at all really. Also the ease of transport. I get emails from travel zoo and take advantage of their specials like £10. rail fair from Manchester to London. Also planning ahead gets low fares. Locally, I prefer to drive as I can stop anywhere and take photos of lovely countryside.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Relocateme
I went in to see the manager in the summer time and had a sit down with her..as far as I can remember after her asking what I had planned,..she offered the "Premier " account as the option for me. Don't recall a talk on the passport account but I will for sure be going in again this coming week for more info..you should look up your local bank and get the email of the manager there so you can pick their brain a bit
Thanks very much for the info I really appreciate it....

cheers...Taffy
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by callé
I have noticed, as well, as I speak to my relatives and also work colleagues, how few of them have actually seen much of their own country! I think since I left, being so young. I have a great desire to see as much of my country as I can. I was shocked the other day at work when a colleague of mine said he would be going to London at the weekend. He has never been before and he is almost 30! Since I have returned I have been to London approximately 2 times a year, and also been to Devon, Scotland, (twice-once to Glasgow and the other to Edinburgh), parts of Shropshire, the Peak district, around Warwickshire, Gloucester, all around Nottingham and Sherwood forest (Robin Hood was a childhood hero. ), Manchester, Birmingham (shopping ), Chester...oh the list goes on. I simply cant see enough. I suppose after living in the states so long that going nearly anywhere here doesnt seem so far at all really. Also the ease of transport. I get emails from travel zoo and take advantage of their specials like £10. rail fair from Manchester to London. Also planning ahead gets low fares. Locally, I prefer to drive as I can stop anywhere and take photos of lovely countryside.
How true is your statement I too know for a fact I've seen more of Wales than most of my relatives and I live in Canada...so many people in the UK go on holidays abroad and forget about how beautiful their own country is,,,all I hear in the pubs is (he's in Spain)..(going to Turkey next week)..(just got back from Teneriffe) etc, etc....Now that the Euro is quite high against the pound I think many people will start having their holidays in the UK and I guess that'll be good for the economy....

cheers...Taffy
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I have a relative who has only been away from the town she lives in a couple of times. I know others who spend more time abroad than seeing the UK. There is so much beauty in the UK. Spain and Portugal are fine when you are young and looking for the sun but it loses it charm when you get older, well it did for me but apparently not for alot in the UK. Sitting on a beach soaking in the sun is not my idea of a holiday. I get bored after the first 15minutes.

I have sorted another 4 boxes from the attic so I am slowly moving down from the over 100 boxes I had stored. I have walked around the house and looked at all the furniture and decided which items I have to take with me and which I can leave behind. A couple of pieces made the journey with me when I came here so I feel they have to come back with me.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Trottytrue, wonderful to hear you are thinking of going back after all..I do hope it turns out to be possible, and your husband's health improves.

I have loved all these posts about the beauty of the UK...the Cotswolds have been mentioned; that's where I'm from, where I go back to when I visit (as I am doing next week!), and where I hope to be based next year. It is a really lovely area.

But there are so many lovely places I want to see, some I have been to before and want to show my husband, others I want to see myself for the first time...for a small country, there is so much variety.

Usually the English spring is way ahead of us here in northeastern US: a shame that now, just when I am going for an early taste of English spring, it is a whole month later than usual!! Everything is behind, I hear.

But still, it will be be beautiful, I know--even if cold and windy, as my mother said it was this morning!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 6:19 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I have a relative who has only been away from the town she lives in a couple of times. I know others who spend more time abroad than seeing the UK. There is so much beauty in the UK. Spain and Portugal are fine when you are young and looking for the sun but it loses it charm when you get older, well it did for me but apparently not for alot in the UK. Sitting on a beach soaking in the sun is not my idea of a holiday. I get bored after the first 15minutes.

I have sorted another 4 boxes from the attic so I am slowly moving down from the over 100 boxes I had stored. I have walked around the house and looked at all the furniture and decided which items I have to take with me and which I can leave behind. A couple of pieces made the journey with me when I came here so I feel they have to come back with me.
Yes TT so true, when I lived in the Lake District last year some of my own relatives had been to Australia, Asia, India, Turkey, Greece, Spain, etc, yet had never visited the Lakes and all were stunned at how beautiful it is!!

Just doing my own sorting and packing this weekend. I have the bubble wrap, the empty boxes waiting to be filled and gotten ready to be shipped by sea freight which will take about 12 weeks. I have ads on here, on eBay, on Gumtree, so will see what happens. I honestly didn't think that I would be ping ponging back to Oz, but there you go. I have been buying a few things too to take with me.

Hope your husband is on the mend and it's good to see you looking forward again on a positive note.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS TT

Take Care
Barb
Old Mar 12th 2010, 6:21 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Trottytrue, wonderful to hear you are thinking of going back after all..I do hope it turns out to be possible, and your husband's health improves.

I have loved all these posts about the beauty of the UK...the Cotswolds have been mentioned; that's where I'm from, where I go back to when I visit (as I am doing next week!), and where I hope to be based next year. It is a really lovely area.

But there are so many lovely places I want to see, some I have been to before and want to show my husband, others I want to see myself for the first time...for a small country, there is so much variety.

Usually the English spring is way ahead of us here in northeastern US: a shame that now, just when I am going for an early taste of English spring, it is a whole month later than usual!! Everything is behind, I hear.

But still, it will be be beautiful, I know--even if cold and windy, as my mother said it was this morning!
Your mum is right!! Not very nice weather at all. All the daffodils and other spring flowers have forced their way through, but no sign of any more flower heads except the one we had in our garden last week and now that's looking a bit droopy to be honest Still a few snowdrops around and crocuses around though.

I was hoping for a last blast of golden daffodils before I leave here on March 30th, so fingers crossed everybody

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 12th 2010 at 6:27 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.