Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 6:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Englishtart
YAY for you ED, we all knew you would find the perfect job when you were ready for it, good luck with the move to Ayr, now we are all waiting on the news that you have a buyer for your house in Canada!! Tis the buying season they say

Totty, sorry to read about your husbands failing health, I hope you can find a way to be happy staying where you are, your sacrifice will surely be worthwhile, you are doing the right thing

I read this thread regularly, but don't post often. I am not going back to the UK (yet) so really don't have much to add, in fact we are moving within the US (again) to SC real soon. I wish all the returnees to the Uk all the very best with their plans and hope you all find 'home' when you arrive
Hey - have you heard aes has a house to sell in SC??? Wouldn't that be a blast if you could buy her place??!!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 6:56 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I have been lying (and feeling) a bit low this past week except of course to pop in and welcome the new people and of course to congratulate our ED on her new job.

The reason is that I have now changed my own plans and will be heading back to Australia on April 1st to live for good.

Of course I am happy to be seeing my kids and grand-kids but I admit to having a heavy heart at leaving my beloved country.

I was supposed to be going back, selling up and buying a ticket to come back here, however as the time has got nearer to my departure date, I have faced up to the enormity of what I was contemplating, plus having to say goodbye to my kids and grand-kids at the airport all over again and believe me it was bad enough last year when none of us knew what I was doing.........

The problem is that unlike Canada and the USA the miles and the cost between here and Australia make it prohibitive except for occasional visits.

There is no way my daughter, partner and her kids could ever afford to visit me here, even my son and his partner would probably find it a struggle except for maybe once every 5 years.

That means the onus would be on me to go back to see them, and that is a big burden, finding all that money because of course you can't just go for a weekend or even a week and I am just in an ordinary paying job with not too much money behind me.

I chose to live where I have lived since coming back, first the Lake District and then here in Somerset and it has been fantastic, I have loved it. Unfortunately I am still far away from my English family and I really haven't seen as much of them as I would like.

My daughter sent me some pics last week and I can't believe how much my grand-kids have grown in just this short time, I really do miss them (more than my own kids if the truth be known!! )

If I had a million quid in the bank, then my decision would surely be much different than it is. However I don't have the kind of money to be able to flit between the two countries and so have decided that my destiny is to be in Australia, where let's face it, I took my kids to live in the first place. As one of my friends put it, sometimes we have to compromise.

Things change, circumstances alter, feelings take over and life happens.............but I will never forget my 12 months back in England and loving the place I live.

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 3rd 2010 at 6:59 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone, well the end of my first day back at work. It was a very long day, first the busses don't start running here where I live until 0747 to late for me to get to work in Ayr at 0900. So took a taxi to the bus station then took bus to Ayr and then had to take taxi from Ayr to Craig Tara. Got home finally at 1900. So very tired, but had a good day with a good bunch of people to work with. The job seems very interesting and fast paced, but I think I will enjoy it immensly.

Think I will have to move to Ayr though sooner rather than later, this was always my intention. Just have to see what happens, so if anyone knows of a flat to rent in Ayr let me know lol. Hate to leave my flat here, but just can't see myself doing this journey everyday, financially it would be vry bad and time wise a nightmare

So goodnight everyone, time for supper and bed.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nolimits
[QUOTE=dgjamison;8388268] . We too are returning home, we came back to canada after 26 years and things just did not work for us, I will be sorry in some ways to go home, we did'nt think things through enough and now feel you are a failure and so stupid, yet we came here on holiday twice before coming and thought we had researched everything and did our homework.

Good luck Denise, definitely not a failure. We all do this, we research and think about every detail but still it may not work out as we hoped. We did not actually make our move as we were let down by our sponsor at nearly the 11th hour, but we had planned everything or so we thought but now after reading this forum I realise that there were some things that may have gone wrong for us. Good Luck Denise, I wish you the very best.
Thank you so much, you have all been so kind, will keep in touch and let you know how things go, wish you all the best too.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Everyone, well the end of my first day back at work. It was a very long day, first the busses don't start running here where I live until 0747 to late for me to get to work in Ayr at 0900. So took a taxi to the bus station then took bus to Ayr and then had to take taxi from Ayr to Craig Tara. Got home finally at 1900. So very tired, but had a good day with a good bunch of people to work with. The job seems very interesting and fast paced, but I think I will enjoy it immensly.

Think I will have to move to Ayr though sooner rather than later, this was always my intention. Just have to see what happens, so if anyone knows of a flat to rent in Ayr let me know lol. Hate to leave my flat here, but just can't see myself doing this journey everyday, financially it would be vry bad and time wise a nightmare

Hi Easterndawn, was wondering how your first day had gone, and really glad you enjoyed it, but it was a loooong day for you. I agree the travelling and expense would get to you in the end, so moving there would be the obvious choice. Maybe if you registered with an estate agent, or rental agent, they would inform you when anything comes up. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, that is one hurdle done with.. good luck
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I have been lying (and feeling) a bit low this past week except of course to pop in and welcome the new people and of course to congratulate our ED on her new job.

The reason is that I have now changed my own plans and will be heading back to Australia on April 1st to live for good.

Of course I am happy to be seeing my kids and grand-kids but I admit to having a heavy heart at leaving my beloved country.

I was supposed to be going back, selling up and buying a ticket to come back here, however as the time has got nearer to my departure date, I have faced up to the enormity of what I was contemplating, plus having to say goodbye to my kids and grand-kids at the airport all over again and believe me it was bad enough last year when none of us knew what I was doing.........

The problem is that unlike Canada and the USA the miles and the cost between here and Australia make it prohibitive except for occasional visits.

There is no way my daughter, partner and her kids could ever afford to visit me here, even my son and his partner would probably find it a struggle except for maybe once every 5 years.

That means the onus would be on me to go back to see them, and that is a big burden, finding all that money because of course you can't just go for a weekend or even a week and I am just in an ordinary paying job with not too much money behind me.

I chose to live where I have lived since coming back, first the Lake District and then here in Somerset and it has been fantastic, I have loved it. Unfortunately I am still far away from my English family and I really haven't seen as much of them as I would like.

My daughter sent me some pics last week and I can't believe how much my grand-kids have grown in just this short time, I really do miss them (more than my own kids if the truth be known!! )

If I had a million quid in the bank, then my decision would surely be much different than it is. However I don't have the kind of money to be able to flit between the two countries and so have decided that my destiny is to be in Australia, where let's face it, I took my kids to live in the first place. As one of my friends put it, sometimes we have to compromise.

Things change, circumstances alter, feelings take over and life happens.............but I will never forget my 12 months back in England and loving the place I live.
I am so sorry things did'nt work out, and I understand everything you have said above, as it could relate to my own story. I am returning also, as I am missing my kids and grandkids terribly. My husband and I keep doing the lottery hoping, they say money dos'nt make you happy, but it certainly makes life easier!!!!, and Australia is a long way, and expensive. I now feel though that I will settle better when I go back as i realise what really is important to me (it took me to come back here to realise that) god bless for the future, you tried it and will have your memories to share with your family back in AustraliaDenise
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Hey - have you heard aes has a house to sell in SC??? Wouldn't that be a blast if you could buy her place??!!!!
That would be an ideal situation huh? Unfortunately we own a house here in IL that we cannot sell (market values) so we will be renting out our home until the market gets better That means that we will need to rent in SC, also we have to live in Mt Pleasant in SC, first priority for us is a high school for our son, it has to be a 'good fit' for him, and we have found the best HS to be in the Mt Pleasant district.

We are a military family, hubby will be working at Charleston AFB, he actually retired from active duty in 07, but still has the same job, now as a civillian. We still get to move around the globe when ordered and hubby still has to be deployed when needed.

Eventually, I would love to move home to the UK, our oldest Son is in the US Navy and in HI, very independant and married now, so I have to get to the stage where I can leave my Sons here knowing they are both happy and doing well It will happen one day
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

nolimits is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck Beedubya, hope it works out for you. You miss so much when you are away from grandkids they grow so fast.

Yes we keep doing the lottery too. We don't want to win millions - just enough to be secure and to make some choices. We often say they should have smaller prizes and give more people a chance. Last week couple won £56million, I think that is way too much.

Easterdawn well done on your first day, what a hassle tho' with the journey, no wonder you are ready to flop. Still the first day is always the worse. Good luck.

Englishtart - know what you mean about the house prices. Any sign of things improving in the US yet?
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

It's always good to get the first day over, i bet you were exhausted.

My husband has family living in villages outside Ayr. We tend to speak to them on facebook but they dont get on very often, they are not very technical with comps but they are getting there lol. I will ask them if they know of any contacts for you. Just dont know when they will get my message.

Thats a long haul to work, hope you find somewhere very soon so you and your husband can make plans for your future and the dogs of course. I know you will love Ayr so much.

I will keep my that the weather is kind to you while you have the long commute.

Take care Chris
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Thank you all for sharing your family horror stories - they have put mine into much better perspective (although they still keep me awake at night)!!
Can't believe how quickly this thread moves - will have to speed up my replies....

Relocateme - Great progress on clearing your house - I get overwhelmed just reading about it. And thank you for the Christmas Story - unbelievable!!!
Trottytrue - Glad your husband's situation has settled and you are continuing with your plans -sounds absolutely like the right thing to do.
Am giving some thought to your comment about people not liking their space invaded.....
Taffy - Also giving thought to imposing on people - I was trying to re-connect with family and looking forward to being around company (as opposed to here and almost solitude). Staying in a caravan - very good idea!
ED - Well done on your first day of work! Hope you can get the transport/moving situation sorted very soon.

Any thoughts about where this repat centre should be? I found a lovely, small hotel for sale in Banff but it seemed a little out of the way.....
Tanto
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:41 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Englishtart
That would be an ideal situation huh? Unfortunately we own a house here in IL that we cannot sell (market values) so we will be renting out our home until the market gets better That means that we will need to rent in SC, also we have to live in Mt Pleasant in SC, first priority for us is a high school for our son, it has to be a 'good fit' for him, and we have found the best HS to be in the Mt Pleasant district.

We are a military family, hubby will be working at Charleston AFB, he actually retired from active duty in 07, but still has the same job, now as a civillian. We still get to move around the globe when ordered and hubby still has to be deployed when needed.

Eventually, I would love to move home to the UK, our oldest Son is in the US Navy and in HI, very independant and married now, so I have to get to the stage where I can leave my Sons here knowing they are both happy and doing well It will happen one day
Ah yes if I had my VERY VERY most ideal place to live it would be where your son is, in Hawaii.

OK, it's not England but it comes a very close second LOL!!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Barb, when I read your post was it last week or the week before when you said that you were going back to Australia selling up, buying a ticket and saying goodbye to your family again and going back to U.K. for good I remember thinking to myself ----- I bet she doesn't do it, cause I know if I was in your situation with family and kids over there in Australia all those miles away that I could not say goodbye to them either,
Australia was the first country I emigrated to when I was just 19, I lived there for 4 years, I loved the life in Australia, the people were so down to earth, took a while for them to trust and like us pommies but once you had a friend you really knew you had a real one, So anyway then returned to England and family, and later emigrated to a Canada and then USA where I have been for past 36 years,
But I remember thinking way back when I was living in Australia how far it was from England, I believe 12,000 miles so that was one reason I did not stay there, it would have cost so much to come back to England to visit my family and the plane journey then was about 36 hours, well thats how long it took me to travel to Australia under the 10 U.K. pounds scheme way back in 1965, we had as I remember I think 5 stops in 5 different countries on the way, land & re-fuel and take off again and then we landed at the first stop in OZ which was Darwin, and then on to my destination Melbourne, I think in those days the flying time alone was 30 hours, what do they have it down to now? and how many stops along the way are there?
Anyway I know you will miss U.K. so much but as you say now you will be able to settle down in Australia much easier when you return there in April, I certainly feel that you have made the right decision as hard as it was for you to make, but I wish you luck and real happiness from now on,
Regards,
Rodney.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ed see how loyal you are to everyone on this thread ---- you are exhausted after your first day what with all the traveling and all ----- but you still find time to post before your supper and well deserved sleep,
Good on Ya,
Rodney.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my gosh I have done it again, the reminders stopped coming, and life took over, and I haven't checked in with my friends (as I feel you all are) on this thread for ages--now have just read pages and pages--

I am thrilled to hear about Easter Dawn's job! And to hear Relocateme is moving ahead, also aes, tho house still hasn't sold...

Great to hear all the voices tho can't mention everyone, and above all I love the way everyone here supports and encourages those who are having a hard time....there is such kindness and generosity.

Glad to see new members, welcome to all, though again I can't mention everyone.......Fish n Chips 56 you are same age as me... I thought 56 must be your birth year, and then you said you are 53. Taffy, I am one eighth Welsh and proud of it....(grandfather from Llanelly)...

Well, my situation has gone from, when I first wrote on here, yearning to go back to England, to now seeing that dream come much closer.
Unlike some others on this thread, I've been lucky enough in recent years to go back often, for short visits--and brush up my British accent, an important concern by all accounts!
(I live in northeastern US with American husband of 30 years; children grown, youngest about to finish college). But somehow these short visits are never enough, even though we have been able to buy a flat there, which makes for a nice sense of homecoming when we are able to use it.

At last my husband said, to my delight, he feels ready to leave his job at the end of the year, and we have put our house on the market (agonizing decision, had it for 21 years, raised children here) and bought a very small condo so we can leave for much longer periods.

Because, as I have shared here at length--perhaps ad nauseam!--after all these years of my wanting to go back to UK, somehow in there the children grew up, and are now grown up Americans who (tho they love "europe") will probably never live there. So If I go back to live full time in UK, I will be separating myself from them! Is this really what I want after all??!!
But, as many have said, you can't plan your lives round adult kids, there is skype etc, America is so big you can be plane rides away from them anyway, and so on.
SO--I see the future as going back and forth, if at all possible....

I will be for ever "cut in half" as someone here has said. But that is the fate you create for yourself when you fall in love with someone from another country, and leave your own to live with that person...

It may have been TrottyTrue, the thread's starter, who said this about being "cut in half" and this brings me to a special message for her--I am so sorry to hear about her husband's health and the need to shelve, at least for now, the plans to move back to UK.

Her wise words--make a decision, don't sit on the fence until it's too late!--ring very true.

This group of people is so wonderful and so inspiring.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

nolimits is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Between Two Worlds - It is hard leaving family. I do agree with TottyTrue about sitting on the fence. I know quite a few people who were always planning to do something and then they never did, and then regretted it. I suppose you could think about just come to UK for an a period of time just to see how you feel, rather than make a permanent move. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.