Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:16 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
ED...although it must be tremendously difficult for you being away from your husband you are so positive and cheerful. I take my hat off to you and truly hope it won't belong before you'll be together again.
Hear Hear Jerseygirl, ED has done marvellously in such a short space of time.

As you say ED 4 months is no time at all in the grand scheme of things, I take my hat off to you also.

Good luck with those jobs, you are doing wonderfully well and as aes says you give hope and encouragement for all those people over the pond planning on coming back to our own fair and beautiful land

Barb
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Nice to read your update, ED, despite some negatives, you have come a long way in such a short time. You sound positive and what you write is very encouraging and invaluable for us still over the pond with noses pressed up against the toy store window!! One question I do have. Have you had any money transferred to your bank account in the UK? If so, is there a charge each time, does it vary according to amount, and do you have any insight into the best way to do it to incur the least amount of fees? All the best for now, enjoy those English winter blooming flowers.....any crocus yet??
No, sorry I haven't had any money sent to account from anyone, have been living on the little bit of benefit I get and I have sold some of my jewellery. Haven't seen any crocus yet, I am really looking out for the little snow drops, I just love them, they are so dainty, also can't wait until the bluebells come out.

On Monday it is Robbie Burns Day here in tarten land, lots going on. Going to a Burns Supper back in my home village of Coylton with my cousin John, looking forward to that. Do need to get driving though, have been thinking of renting a small car and just driving, intead of taking driving lessons. Has anyone done just that and how did you get on? I have driven for 40 years in Canada and I have driven a standard for many of these years. It is just the other side of the road and using my left hand to change gears that worries me.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Jan 22nd 2010 at 4:33 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
........ Do need to get driving though, have been thinking of renting a small car and just driving, intead of taking driving lessons. Has anyone done just that and how did you get on? I have driven for 40 years in Canada and I have driven a standard for many of these years. It is just the other side of the road and using my left hand to change gears that worries me.

I really don't think you'll need lessons, especially having driven for so long, including a standard/manual car. I added up the other day and realised I'd driven as many years (20 each) on each side of the road, ie age 17 to 37 in the UK and 37 to 57 in Canada. I still drive in the UK most years for a few weeks and I do have to concentrate just while I'm getting out of the Heathrow area. After a few miles it becomes very easy. I do sometimes hit the car door with my hand trying to change gear though The other amusing thing that happens is going back to your parked car and trying to get into the car on the wrong side to drive off, this can sometimes happen to me in either country if I'm not thinking

If you just remember that you are always 'sat' in the middle of the road, ie with the centre line of the highway running just outside your drivers car door it'll help you ensure you're on the correct side as well...

Well done ED, an inspiration to many folks.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Luckyone, yes when I have been in friends car or on the bus I have been visualizing what lanes I would need to turn on to, how sad is that . I think I finally got the right door to go to when getting in for the first while when going out with my friend I kept trying to drive . Would love to take a car out for the day and visit places that are just not accessable by bus.
Originally Posted by Luckyone
I really don't think you'll need lessons, especially having driven for so long, including a standard/manual car. I added up the other day and realised I'd driven as many years (20 each) on each side of the road, ie age 17 to 37 in the UK and 37 to 57 in Canada. I still drive in the UK most years for a few weeks and I do have to concentrate just while I'm getting out of the Heathrow area. After a few miles it becomes very easy. I do sometimes hit the car door with my hand trying to change gear though The other amusing thing that happens is going back to your parked car and trying to get into the car on the wrong side to drive off, this can sometimes happen to me in either country if I'm not thinking

If you just remember that you are always 'sat' in the middle of the road, ie with the centre line of the highway running just outside your drivers car door it'll help you ensure you're on the correct side as well...

Well done ED, an inspiration to many folks.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Things seem to be picking up on the job side, I have seen an increase on available positions. I did apply for a position as Site Manager in Ayr, that closes on February 5th. My hopes are high as this would certainly click off a lot of boxes for me. Also tourist season starts earlier here than in Canada, so jobs in that sector seem to be coming up. I have an Open Day in Ayr on February 26 for Haven Holidays, they have a large holiday camp located in Ayr and would go from April to November, whch would give me time to find something more permanent and would enable me to move to Ayr, where there seems to be more work than here in Kilmarnock. This week I have sent out over 15 CV's and I have registered with two new Employment Agencies.
The weather has been great the last week, days with sunshine and mild temperatures, lots of winter flowers are blooming making you feel that spring must surely be around the corner. My little canine friend from next door comes over every day that I am home and spends the day with me, he is great company and gives me a good laugh.
I am missing my guys more and more every day, and find myself wondering if I will every see them again. My husband was laid off for the winter months after Christmas and it has been very difficult for him both emotially and financially. He did spend some time giving two of the rooms a new fresh paint job, stayed with the colors that were there but just freshened it up, so that it will be ready when we put it back on the market in a month or so. I have met some wonderful people since arriving here and don't regret coming back home. I find more positives than negatives about UK, but of course miss enjoying these with my husband and best friend.
My health seems to be improving with the new meds and I am hopeful that by spring I will be back 100%, still have bad days but they are further apart.
For those of you thinking of coming, you must be willing to take about 6 months before feeling a part of this great land again. What happened to me was the first few weeks were days of reconnecting with my homeland and just enjoying being here, then the reality of how I was going to support myself hit like a ton of bricks. There were many days that I wondered what the h... I was doing, days of screaming at empty rooms and being very scared for the future. I still have those days but they are fewer and fewer and when I do, I think of what I ...have... accomplished and that the dark days of winter will be over soon. I think coming in the late fall was a mistake, I should have come over in the spring but after saying that I will really appreciate when I get a permanent job and can get my husband and dogs over with me.
This is a beautiful land and I want to show it to my family, I sometimes forget that it has only been 4 months and in a lifetime that is a very short space of time. Well I have gone on to long, hope that our dreams will come true this year and that this time next year we will all be where we want to be in our lives.
Hi Ed,
Thanx so much for your congratulations to me for passing the test, and thanx for your update, I am sure everyone liked it, you are truly remarkable, 15 cv's in a week and registering with two employment agencies WOW you are really a go getter, if anyone deserves to be succsessful its YOU, I wish you all the luck in the world in finding the Job you want, and I hope you sell your house soon this year so you Hubby and dogs can come out to you, and then you will all be together again, and once that happens your life will be so perfect at home in Scotland, I take my hat off to you and applaud you Ed, your the tops!!!
PS you are an inspiration to me and all the others like me who are waiting to come back home, November 30th is my date of departure, and although I have fears of making this huge change in my life I can hardly wait till I set foot on my home land again,
Rodney.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't forget to apply for your US PP asap after the oath ceremony...just in case you have to make an emergency trip overseas.
Hi Jerseygirl, I was told by one of the people who I work with here who went to his oath ceremony a year ago, he said that you can apply for your U.S. P.P. right there after you have taken your oath and received your naturalization document, here in Las Vegas he said they have a booth just outside the building that does this service for you, as long as you have your passport photos with you, and you just write a check and they take care of everything else and give you a receipt and you just wait until the passport office sends you your new passport in the mail, about 10 days to two weeks I think,
Has anyone else applied for there passport at the ceremony?
Anyway I will find out at my ceremony on the 5th Feb,
Rodney.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 11:32 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aes1
Yes, the Oath ceremony does get to you. I must admit, I cried - it was the video and song (sorry, already forgotten the name of it!!!) they showed that did it!
Yes, Oath ceremony was very moving, we had Video and Song "America the beautiful' both him and me had tears, the Americans sure know how to stir emotions of patriotism. I know the words to US Anthem better than UK, perhaps because they play it so often here.
This has never deterred us from intent and now plan to move back to UK though.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Luckyone, yes when I have been in friends car or on the bus I have been visualizing what lanes I would need to turn on to, how sad is that . I think I finally got the right door to go to when getting in for the first while when going out with my friend I kept trying to drive . Would love to take a car out for the day and visit places that are just not accessable by bus.
Have you seen that movie The Holiday with Cameron Diaz where she drives for the first time in England and has scary moments when the traffic appears to be coming right at her?? So funny.............

Barb
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

No haven't seen this movie, but can imagine me in that situation . Hopefully it won't happen.
Originally Posted by Beedubya
Have you seen that movie The Holiday with Cameron Diaz where she drives for the first time in England and has scary moments when the traffic appears to be coming right at her?? So funny.............

Barb
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just to let everyone know there is a new recruitment agency, it is www.jobsite.co.uk, very good site. Might be an idea for those coming over shortly, might give you a head start.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:34 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

Barb
On another note, I watch this movie whenever I need a 'sugar coated UK' fix. The cottage that is featured in it, plus the snow is a great motivator for wanting to return.

(note all you 'rose tinted spectacles' commentators that I said a 'sugar coated UK' in acknowledgement that I realise it isn't a 100% accurate representation of life in UK)
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
On another note, I watch this movie whenever I need a 'sugar coated UK' fix. The cottage that is featured in it, plus the snow is a great motivator for wanting to return.

(note all you 'rose tinted spectacles' commentators that I said a 'sugar coated UK' in acknowledgement that I realise it isn't a 100% accurate representation of life in UK)
TOTALLY agree, I just want to move right into that cottage with all the snow, you can keep the Hollywood mansion

I looked up where that cottage actually is and it is a movie set
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Just was outside to get the mail and guess what the snowdrops are coming up and blooming in the front garden. They made me happy and sad, happy that I am here to see them and sad that my husband is not her to see them.
For some reason these, bluebells and primroses are the flowers that always reminded me of home. Off to Morrisons for groceries, now what was the name of that favourite biscuit?
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 1:45 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Just was outside to get the mail and guess what the snowdrops are coming up and blooming in the front garden. They made me happy and sad, happy that I am here to see them and sad that my husband is not her to see them.
For some reason these, bluebells and primroses are the flowers that always reminded me of home. Off to Morrisons for groceries, now what was the name of that favourite biscuit?
Hobnobs (preferably chocolate).

Could you take a picture of the snowdrops on your mobile and send to your hubby? Not the same as him being here, I know, but at least then you can share. My colleague's husband (stay-at-home dad) takes a picture of their daughter every day and sends it to her via mobile at work.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, thanks I already did that, they are so lovely. Hobnobs are delicious, but I think my favourites must be orange or rasberry Jaffa Cakes. They had some wonderfull exotic fruit , well for a girl who lived on the Prairies, they are exotic, lychee fruit, fresh figs, wonderful tasting peaches and juicy apricots. I do find the selections of all food here is fantastic and if you are on the Weight Watchers Diet, much more selections that I could find in Canada and the prices are really decent. Got all the groceries on my list and a few extra things that I found for £32.00, this usually last me about a week. The most I have paid for groceries was £65.00 and that was at Christmas. Well, my little hairy black friend from next door is over for the night and he wants to go out for his walk
Originally Posted by dunroving
Hobnobs (preferably chocolate).

Could you take a picture of the snowdrops on your mobile and send to your hubby? Not the same as him being here, I know, but at least then you can share. My colleague's husband (stay-at-home dad) takes a picture of their daughter every day and sends it to her via mobile at work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.