Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Jackie, glad your getting stronger, the next few months will go very fast and soon you will be back home

Barb, You will be okay even with very little, all the hard work you did the last time you were home. Is it possible to get a job with the company you were with before you left, if I remember correctly you enjoyed it very much and gave you not only a job but a nice to place to live.

Rodney, not sure if you will be back on before you leave, if not safe journey and do let us know how thing go when you arrive. Decided to have a couple of pork and Brambley apple sausages this morning and was thought of you, and yes they were very large ones with a wonderful smell and taste.

To all those celebrating Thanksgiving in the US, I always found this the loveliest of celebration in the US, my husband and I spent many a Thanksgiving and July 4th in US, loved both. So HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Oh, by the way snow has arrived in UK, big time, but not in my area yet.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 25th 2010 at 5:41 am.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:24 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Think it's chilly now? The worst November freeze for 17 YEARS begins with four inches of snow overnight

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...years-way.html

Good luck to you all especially Rodney!! You may need those long johns yet, better check the elastic hasn't perished!!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:08 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Happy Thanksgiving to those in the USA. I am feeling a bit low tonight, as I have received Thanksgiving greetings from a few friends in my email. It too shall pass, the low feeling I mean.

Next week I will be on the flat hunt in Somerset, my chosen area in which to live. No job offers yet, so I am concentrating on a place to live for at least 3 months, while waiting for the Housing 21 to find me a flat. I am looking at Frome, which is a large enough town to have a railway station, a bus station, supermarkets and other stores, and is only 4 miles away from the village I want to live in. That way I will be on the doorstep when a vacancy occurs. That is my reasoning in any case. I found that today, when I was crossing from one area of London to the other, taking care of chores, I was getting despondent at the noise and crowds on the streets, and the tube being crowded with almost-rush hour traffic, and had to tell myself that I was not going to be living like this for much longer. I am a small town girl for sure.

In an idle moment, I was digging through my bag and found some notes that I had made when I first arrived in the UK, back in September. I had noted my impressions of London, and the railway stations in Paddington and Taunton, and people in the street in London. It was good to read those, as they marked a very clear divide between City and Country. As if I needed the divide underlined. But still, it was good to see my impressions noted down in my own writing. And to know that I feel the same way now, after two months of being here - and a full two months they have been. Hardly a moment to stop and smell the proverbial roses...
Rosie anything you want to know about Frome (pronounced Froom for the uninitiated) just PM and ask yours truly......see my pic of Cheap Street, that's my family walking up the street, the place is quite hilly and steep so it's not for anybody who can't get around so well. The railway station is in the upper part of the town where you can easily get a train to Beautiful Bath. I don't remember a bus station though there were good bus connections to neighbouring towns........what a co-incidence!!
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-dscf1950.jpg  

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 25th 2010 at 9:06 am.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:13 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi Everyone - I am new here and posted my message elsewhere until someone kindly directed me here. Here is my post:

I have been in the U.S. far too long - 30 years. I never really adjusted that well but made the most of it. At 58, I have decided I just don't want to live here any more.

I did all my education in Britain and was a fully certified secondary school teacher before I left, but that was a long time ago and I haven't taught for many years. I would like to return to teaching there but don't know if I could since so many years have passed.

I also don't have much money to take back with me; however, I can begin to take a small pension from a 16-year long job in the U.S. at age 60 and also social security at age 60. If I do that, though, can I work in the U.K? I don't see why not but I don't know if beginning to receive social security from the U.S. would prevent me from working there. I believe in the U.S. after you start receiving social security you can only earn so much after that.

I also wonder if I could adjust. Britain will always be home and I would love to be able to readjust. I just don't know how long it takes. It took me five years to adjust to living in the U.S., probably because I didn't want to be here in the first place. I hope it doesn't take five years to readjust to Britain.

As I mentioned, I have been in the U.S. 30 years. I went back once for a two-week vacation 10 years ago - didn't want to return to the U.S. but I had commitments here at that time.

Anyway, would love your thoughts.

(I also have pets I would take with me.)

PS - I lived in the Edinburgh, Scotland area when I lived in Britain and 10 years ago I went to the Somerset area in England where my father lived when he was alive. I really like it there. I am not sure exactly where I would move to yet. I would be going alone with my pets and it is a frightening thought to go alone but I do not care for it in the U.S., especially these days.
Welcome windsong, I don't have any answers for you, but believe me you are in the right place and amongst friends.

Just pull up a chair and join right in you will soon feel at home here, when you realise that you are not an oddity, that there are LOTS of people who feel exactly like you do, that you are not living in the right country..........for you........
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:15 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
Windsong,

Welcome to our group!

Care to say what state you live in? It is OK if you want to be anonymous

My plan is to always keep the door open to return to the US but that is relatively easy because I have children living here.

I intend to go back to the UK after being in the US for 56 years and I look forward to it.

Cheers and I'm glad you found us.
Wow 56 years!!! Are you this thread's record holder?? I thought it was the person who had lived in Australia for 50 years, but obviously not!!!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:19 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I am also divorced..and just recently diagnosed with Kidney cancer, for witch I am currently recovering from surgery, that is the reason I have to wait until February to go home. I would love to be there for Christmas, but unfortunately cant be this year. I think it will be easier for us/you. I am sure you will do very well there.. Where in the US are you?
Jackie
Oh Jackie I had no idea, so sorry to hear your cancer news but I am sure you feel much better being here with like minded people. February is not that far off, it will be here before we know it.

Take care and have a happy last USA Christmas - I think it is hot in Las Vegas all year round? This will be my last hot one, I have never liked it and have decided that God willing when I can get the $$$ to visit my daughter and her kids it will NOT be at Christmas.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:21 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Thanks, Jackie. I hope it is possible to arrange housing before I land there and that there is perhaps some way around 6 months quarantine for my pets. Perhaps they don't even have quarantine now, I don't know.
hello Windsong, Welcome,

We are this year happily back in UK from US, with a contented cat.

Your pet can enter the UK from USA without UK quarantine if you follow this DEFRA procedure.
Start the process at least 6 months before you want your pet to fly.
Follow the steps in the order;
1. Fit your pet with a microchip, (ideally a European ISO standard) record the number on all paperwork.
2. AFTER the microchipping, vaccinate against rabies.
3. Your vet takes a blood sample, if the result is successful your pet can enter the UK 6 months after the test date.
4. Obtain PETS certificate from a Government authorized veterinary - i.e your vet, have USDA endorse it.
5. Vet treats pet for tick and tapeworm between 24-48 hours prior to the time of check-in for the flight.

So it is a few steps, simple, but intimidating if it it your first time, be sure to follow the steps in order and get the paperwork straight.

You can get official website info from DEFRA, search for DEFRA Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) or go here http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...pets/index.htm
Or search in this Forum, there are other postings and threads where people have the same concerns as you.

Best wishes
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:29 am
Home Sweet Home

Jackie - I have to save up enough money to make the move and I have no idea how much it will cost. I also need to find out how much it will cost to get settled there. Much as I want to do this, it is a scary project. I estimate two years. Not long in the scheme of things as I want to go back prepared.
Oh I have a feeling you are going to be returning home much sooner than in two years time.......just stick around here.......you will see......
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Windsong and Welcome.

We are glad you found us, you will love this thread, People really care about others, they really do walk in your shoes and understand, you will be amazed...

Over the next few days I'm sure that many of your questions will be answered so hang on...

Ive been out of the UK since 76, I came here much like you not so willing, I was a fish out of water from the very start, I came because I didn't want to be split from my family, I was 19/20 at the time, I still plan to go back, America and its people have always been good to me, Its not like I hate it here, I just prefer the UK and I'm very passionate about it, its where I feel normal and safe, where I feel ME!...

I can really grasp all you have said so far tonight...

The adjustment issue, The UK has changed for sure, if you liked it 10 years ago I cant see why you wouldn't like it just as much today, Not everything is the same as when you left, some things will have got worse, some better and many things will have stayed the same, it all depends what you want out of life on how you react to these changes, I would think you would settle in quick as its something you want to do as opposed to being something you were forced to do...

Id agree it would be hard returning in your own, but I think it would be worthwhile from the posts Ive read, why live with regrets when you dont have to, it would help if you have some connection no matter how small, I wouldn't let it put you off if you have nobody, once back you would make friends, the UK is like that.

2 years sounds like a very reasonable timeframe, if you were 28 when you left I can see why you want to go back, I really can.

I wish you well...
Old Nov 25th 2010, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone - I am new here and posted my message elsewhere until someone kindly directed me here. Here is my post:

I have been in the U.S. far too long - 30 years. I never really adjusted that well but made the most of it. At 58, I have decided I just don't want to live here any more.

I did all my education in Britain and was a fully certified secondary school teacher before I left, but that was a long time ago and I haven't taught for many years. I would like to return to teaching there but don't know if I could since so many years have passed.

I also don't have much money to take back with me; however, I can begin to take a small pension from a 16-year long job in the U.S. at age 60 and also social security at age 60. If I do that, though, can I work in the U.K? I don't see why not but I don't know if beginning to receive social security from the U.S. would prevent me from working there. I believe in the U.S. after you start receiving social security you can only earn so much after that.

I also wonder if I could adjust. Britain will always be home and I would love to be able to readjust. I just don't know how long it takes. It took me five years to adjust to living in the U.S., probably because I didn't want to be here in the first place. I hope it doesn't take five years to readjust to Britain.

As I mentioned, I have been in the U.S. 30 years. I went back once for a two-week vacation 10 years ago - didn't want to return to the U.S. but I had commitments here at that time.

Anyway, would love your thoughts.

(I also have pets I would take with me.)

PS - I lived in the Edinburgh, Scotland area when I lived in Britain and 10 years ago I went to the Somerset area in England where my father lived when he was alive. I really like it there. I am not sure exactly where I would move to yet. I would be going alone with my pets and it is a frightening thought to go alone but I do not care for it in the U.S., especially these days.
Oh come to Somerset! If you look at my photographs on Flickr.com you will see some lovely photos that I took in October when I was there for a weekend. I, too am scared - that is quite an admission to make on such a public forum, but I am. This has been a massive undertaking so far, and I get many thoughts of jumping on a plane back to the US, but that all comes from not having a stable living situation, as I am still moving between friends.

If I get settled in Frome - and I have two places to look at next Wednesday - then I could start a trend. You all will know that I am there, and I could help the next person to adjust. Really. That would be great to have a group of like minded singles or couples who could support each other emotionally, instead of us all living dotted about the country, each scared and lonely while we adjust to a very different Britain to the one we left years ago.

Have a look at the photos and dream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandwoman/

Rosie - heading off on another adventure
Old Nov 25th 2010, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rosie anything you want to know about Frome (pronounced Froom for the uninitiated) just PM and ask yours truly......see my pic of Cheap Street, that's my family walking up the street, the place is quite hilly and steep so it's not for anybody who can't get around so well. The railway station is in the upper part of the town where you can easily get a train to Beautiful Bath. I don't remember a bus station though there were good bus connections to neighbouring towns........what a co-incidence!!
I had NO idea Frome was so picturesque! I am going to love visiting there, and I hope the house share I am looking at works out - it is within the historic area, a little stone walled terrace house. Light and airy upper bedroom. Fingers crossed. Please tell your famiily that one of your internet friends is heading their way and needs a cup of tea now and then!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 9:47 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I had NO idea Frome was so picturesque! I am going to love visiting there, and I hope the house share I am looking at works out - it is within the historic area, a little stone walled terrace house. Light and airy upper bedroom. Fingers crossed. Please tell your famiily that one of your internet friends is heading their way and needs a cup of tea now and then!
Noo Rosie I was the great escapee.....they all live in the same grim Northern Town and are quite happy to do so.....whereas I wasn't.........and aren't ....I do have very fond memories of Frome though.......VERY VERY hilly streets and lots of lovely knick knack shops (are you listening Trotty True!!)

I can just picture it now in my mind's eye......sigh I WILL be back down that way again....

Don't forget to visit Bath......Longleat..........and Montacute where Sense and Sensibilites was filmed....honestly all they had to do was throw a bit of mud over the street and you are back to the Jane Austen days....
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-dscf1973.jpg  

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 25th 2010 at 10:01 am.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 10:34 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

however, I can begin to take a small pension from a 16-year long job in the U.S. at age 60 and also social security at age 60. If I do that, though, can I work in the U.K? I don't see why not but I don't know if beginning to receive social security from the U.S. would prevent me from working there. I believe in the U.S. after you start receiving social security you can only earn so much after that.
Hello Windsong,
There is no legal reason that you could not receive private or public pensions from US and also hold a job in UK.
You will have to report it all as income to HMRC.

Food for thought;

If you have 401k / IRA then these could be potentially left in US until you choose to take them, it is not compulsory to bring with you at time of move. Some paperwork is necessary and USC is advisable

Are you US Citizen? it is advisable for monetary and emotional reasons and as a safety net in case the UK is not really for you after all.

I too am of age to receive US SS and also UK pension as I am 63, stopped working last year but chose not to take pensions while husband is still employed. It seems appropriate to leave them unclaimed for now with a reasonable % increase annually and no income tax on them while we have enough to live on from DH income. Personal choice of course.

regards,
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Noo Rosie I was the great escapee.....they all live in the same grim Northern Town and are quite happy to do so.....whereas I wasn't.........and aren't ....I do have very fond memories of Frome though.......VERY VERY hilly streets and lots of lovely knick knack shops (are you listening Trotty True!!)

I can just picture it now in my mind's eye......sigh I WILL be back down that way again....

Don't forget to visit Bath......Longleat..........and Montacute where Sense and Sensibilites was filmed....honestly all they had to do was throw a bit of mud over the street and you are back to the Jane Austen days....
Thanks for the photos - please, please post more of them if you have them handy - it looks gorgeous - a areal mix of stone and beams.

Sorry about your family not being there, but the offer to create a British Expatriates community is still open! Let's help each other settle in over here as best we can, and if that means more than one of use settling in the same town, that sounds a great way to go. First book into High Tide's B & B, then move on out into the countryside.

I have two lovely places to visit as potential rentals, both in Frome town, and the apartments in the village. Will have lots to post in the middle of December when I have done all that.

Rosie
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Windsong,
Go to the DEFRA site it will tell you all you need to know about bringing you pets from US to UK. If you have any questions then let me know as I will be bringing our dogs as well. I am currently back in UK have been for 14 mnths, hubby and the girls are back in Canada trying to sell our house. For our dogs, 1 very small Shitzu and large Siberian HUsky it will cost us around $1,800 from Halifax Nova Scotia to London, Heathrow. It is not the flight that costs the most it is the company that you must have to to meet them in UK and take them through the process of coming into the UK.
Thank you, Eastern. I will try to find DEFRA. I am trying to think of a way around the quarantine (6 months). A French friend told me if you bring them in to the UK through another country in the EU, you don't have to go through the 6-month quarantine but I don't know if that's true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.