Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear about the cancer but hopefully now, after the surgery, you will be fine. I am so glad you have family there you can go back to - February is only a few months away now. Time to begin the countdown to going home )))
Yes, it was kind of a shock to me, as with anyone who gets that diagnosis I suppose, but I am thinking positively and looking forward to going home. I am counting down..cant wait. Its funny when you make up your mind to do it, you want to go asap. I dont have much left now after this, so wont be a huge deal to leave...

When do you hope to go back?
Jackie.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Yes, it was kind of a shock to me, as with anyone who gets that diagnosis I suppose, but I am thinking positively and looking forward to going home. I am counting down..cant wait. Its funny when you make up your mind to do it, you want to go asap. I dont have much left now after this, so wont be a huge deal to leave...

When do you hope to go back?
Jackie.
Jackie - I have to save up enough money to make the move and I have no idea how much it will cost. I also need to find out how much it will cost to get settled there. Much as I want to do this, it is a scary project. I estimate two years. Not long in the scheme of things as I want to go back prepared.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie - I have to save up enough money to make the move and I have no idea how much it will cost. I also need to find out how much it will cost to get settled there. Much as I want to do this, it is a scary project. I estimate two years. Not long in the scheme of things as I want to go back prepared.
Thats very smart, make sure you have everything covered. Two years is not so long, and making sure you have all your bases covered is a very good idea..
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Thats very smart, make sure you have everything covered. Two years is not so long, and making sure you have all your bases covered is a very good idea..
Thanks, Jackie. I hope it is possible to arrange housing before I land there and that there is perhaps some way around 6 months quarantine for my pets. Perhaps they don't even have quarantine now, I don't know.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheers
IW120,

Thanks for your post.
Frome is one of my choices also but if you follow my posts there are a lot of choices. I remember visiting Frome and there is another town close by that I don't remember the name of, Shaftsbury maybe. That is also good.

I'm so glad you wrote down your first impressions.

Interesting about your comments about London. There is so much to do there but crowds do get to me. I don't like mobs of people.

One thing that I think about is being lonely when I go to live there. I think that women can handle that better than men and men don't want to admit it.

Cheers!
We love Shaftsbury ,might move there actually
We are going to base myself at my Dads home ,he lives about 20 mins from there
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Windsong....I have also been in the US for 30 years and am in the process of selling up and moving back. Most of us on this thread have been in our respective countries for many years and have decided for one reason or another its time to go home. Many of us feel like you do not quite a part of this Country. Nothing wrong with this country its just not ours . For some of us its really hard as we have grown up children and grandchildren but we have decided that its time for us to do our thing.
I no longer have my Mother and Father I do have two brothers and nephews and neices in both Lancashire and Cheshire. I am not sure were I will end up yet. My husband will be coming with me he is a US Citizen.
I am sure when the rest of the tribe log on they will give you lots of information especially those who had already returned. ED. and JJ and many others. After Thanksgiving I will re submit a list of all those who have gone home and those who are on their way. Rodney leaves in a few days and hes been out of the UK for over 36 years.
So join us and you will find support and friends to help you.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
We love Shaftsbury ,might move there actually
We are going to base myself at my Dads home ,he lives about 20 mins from there
May I ask why you are returning? Over the last 30 yrs I have always wanted to go home and each passing year, the resolve gets firmer. I can relate so much more to British people. We share the same values - even after being away 30 yrs.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Gosh, you are even braver than me - 56 years!! Long time to be away from home but good for you in making the decision to go back.

I am in Michigan - terrible economy and unemployment. That, combined, with 10 years of struggling and 30 years of trying to be American when I am not - enough! Time to go home. I am very proud to be British and even though I had to be come a U.S. citizen because of my job I never renounced my British citizenship. If having that good job meant I had to give up my British passport, I never would have taken it. In fact, I would never have set foot on U.S. soil if it hadn't been for my mother remarrying. Coming here may have been the right choice for her but it certainly wasn't for me.
Hello again

We are in Indiana and suffering like you have been too,sorry to hear that .

It sounds like you didn't want to come in the first place ,that must have made it so tough .

I am sure with the help and support here ,you will find yourself breathing the UK air sooner than you think
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Welcome Windsong....I have also been in the US for 30 years and am in the process of selling up and moving back. Most of us on this thread have been in our respective countries for many years and have decided for one reason or another its time to go home. Many of us feel like you do not quite a part of this Country. Nothing wrong with this country its just not ours . For some of us its really hard as we have grown up children and grandchildren but we have decided that its time for us to do our thing.
I no longer have my Mother and Father I do have two brothers and nephews and neices in both Lancashire and Cheshire. I am not sure were I will end up yet. My husband will be coming with me he is a US Citizen.
I am sure when the rest of the tribe log on they will give you lots of information especially those who had already returned. ED. and JJ and many others. After Thanksgiving I will re submit a list of all those who have gone home and those who are on their way. Rodney leaves in a few days and hes been out of the UK for over 36 years.
So join us and you will find support and friends to help you.
Thank you, TrottyTrue. You are so right. It's just not our country. Who would have guessed that after spending 30 yrs here we would still want to return home eventually. It's so nice to know I am not alone. At times I thought I was the strange one for wanting to go home. I am scared at the thought - in case I might not be able to adjust - yet I find I am still trying to adjust to the country I am in now, so what's the difference.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello again

We are in Indiana and suffering like you have been too,sorry to hear that .

It sounds like you didn't want to come in the first place ,that must have made it so tough .

I am sure with the help and support here ,you will find yourself breathing the UK air sooner than you think
Ohhh, I hope so, Gab - my pets, too )

I had a dream job until 10 years ago when the economy started going downhill. Somehow having a well paid, dream job made it tolerable to live here. I learned to appreciate the parts of it I liked, and ignore the rest. Yet, my heart always yearned to go home. After 10 years of struggling, a rotten relationship for 5 years, and now an even worse economy, etc., etc. I am ready to return to a softer, gentler place where I will share similar values to my neighbor.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

May I ask why you are returning? Over the last 30 yrs I have always wanted to go home and each passing year, the resolve gets firmer. I can relate so much more to British people. We share the same values - even after being away 30 yrs.
Well ,we have only been here (what will have be 7 years ) but it has not turned out as we had hoped

My DH has family here but we don't feel included ,I don't really know if that makes sense ????

Anyway my DH wants to return to the UK ,he prefers it there -that does make things easier .

I love Dorset ,and now believe that even if we have to give up everything to make that move ,we WILL lol !

As you can relate ,we are not even sure we can sell our home given the market right now ...
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Ohhh, I hope so, Gab - my pets, too )

I had a dream job until 10 years ago when the economy started going downhill. Somehow having a well paid, dream job made it tolerable to live here. I learned to appreciate the parts of it I liked, and ignore the rest. Yet, my heart always yearned to go home. After 10 years of struggling, a rotten relationship for 5 years, and now an even worse economy, etc., etc. I am ready to return to a softer, gentler place where I will share similar values to my neighbor.
This says it all

I think you need to return home .

I am hoping someone will be able to give advise on your beloved pets soon .
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Well ,we have only been here (what will have be 7 years ) but it has not turned out as we had hoped

My DH has family here but we don't feel included ,I don't really know if that makes sense ????

Anyway my DH wants to return to the UK ,he prefers it there -that does make things easier .

I love Dorset ,and now believe that even if we have to give up everything to make that move ,we WILL lol !

As you can relate ,we are not even sure we can sell our home given the market right now ...
I understand completely. It makes it so much easier when your husband wants to go, too ) I think that's lovely!!

I know all about not feeling included. When I first came here it was because my mother remarried - an American. I had a stepbrother and a stepsister. Within two days of arriving here, they told us to go back home. Can you believe it?? They were two real troublemakers. Anyway, they went off and lived their own lives and after our parents died, we no longer stay in touch. Not the types I want in my life anyway.

I feel so grateful to have been born in Britain. Actually, I was born in Newport in Wales but my parents left a few weeks after I was born. I did visit Wales a few times, though. My grandparents were Welsh and I loved going there in school holidays.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong,

There is a new system for taking pets into the UK. It has something about having a vet give some shots about 6 weeks before your departure. Don't hold me to this.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Windsong,

There is a new system for taking pets into the UK. It has something about having a vet give some shots about 6 weeks before your departure. Don't hold me to this.
Windsong,
Go to the DEFRA site it will tell you all you need to know about bringing you pets from US to UK. If you have any questions then let me know as I will be bringing our dogs as well. I am currently back in UK have been for 14 mnths, hubby and the girls are back in Canada trying to sell our house. For our dogs, 1 very small Shitzu and large Siberian HUsky it will cost us around $1,800 from Halifax Nova Scotia to London, Heathrow. It is not the flight that costs the most it is the company that you must have to to meet them in UK and take them through the process of coming into the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.