Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 8th 2010, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Impey
Rodney hi,
Thanks so much for your reply and welcoming me to your lovely thread. Yes you are right, I have been reading peoples' posts for a while now and once started, couldn't stop. If I miss even one day I have so much to catch up on, and if I go away I have to ask the person I am stopping with if I can use their computer to get my daily "fix".

Everything you say makes absolute sense to me. It is so lovely to find someone who is on the same wavelength as myself (so to speak).

I love the UK and especially "The Big Smoke" (London) where I live. It is my past, present and future (all rolled into one) and I am so really happy here (although some people think I am bonkers but do I take any notice, no).

I see your lovely Mum lives at Portsmouth. I was stopping at Southsea a few weeks ago, isn't it beautiful there? A friend took me for a walk along the promenade and we sat in one of the shelters along the front in the sun and the sea looked absolutely beautiful and of course you can see over to the Isle of Wight, although I haven't been there for several years (have to rectify that soon I think).

You have 3 weeks to go, you must be so excited. It is a big step for you but I feel that everything will go well for you, your Mum and your grown up children. Also don't forget Xmas and New Year quite soon, so you and your Mum may even hear the bongs of Big Ben on the TV to see in the New Year.

My goodness just seen the time 2.48am in London, about time I went to bed. More tomorrow. Lovely to have met you online.

Impey
Thanks Impey,
That was a very nice post, see isn't it a lot nicer to not just be reading all the posts from everyone else --- but to finally be part of the family, and thats exactly how we all feel about each other on here,
We are a very happy bunch of people, so a great big welcome goes out to you from me, and Im sure everyone else too,
Its really nice that you and I will be living so close, my goodness a short one and a half hour train ride to London, or visa-virsa to Portsmouth,
I mean if we cared to meet one day in the future, we could go for lunch, it would be wonderful to have a friend in England.
Well you take care,
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Nov 8th 2010 at 6:02 am. Reason: word wrong spelling
Old Nov 8th 2010, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Obviously, no place is perfect but he sounds like one of those "glass half-empty" people. Tony and I try to be "glass half-full" people.

The best that the UK has to offer is accessible through a couple of two week holidays a year. <---- He must be JOKING! It would take a person a lifetime to see half of "the best that the UK has to offer"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice to hear from you Denise, hope everything is going well. Glad tests came out clear as I am sure that is a relief.

Welcome Impey, no matter that you are still in the UK. I am sure you can help with questions that will come up in the future.

Yesterday I had a call from a friend that I met through work who has Yorkies, her little female has just delivered 4 puppies and she was offering me one of them. It has put me in a quandrie, I miss my girls so much and find myself thinking that it would be lovely to have that company and all the joy that a little one would bring. I also realize that this is a life long comitment and with two other dogs coming over at some time it might cause me problems with housing in the future. I keep going back and forth on the decision and will have to make a decision soon.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 8th 2010 at 6:16 am.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Don,
I dont understand the excess baggage of 25 pound a kilo, I just dont understand KG'S & kILOS,
All I can tell you is Virgin Atlantic gives me one case free up to 50 pounds, plus a carry on of max 13 lbs, and each extra case costs me $48 for up to 50lbs each, I am taking 4 large 29inch cases 50lbs each in weight plus a carry on 13lb so I will be charged for 3 extra bags at $48 each, = $144 total, but thats if I check the baggage in on line with Virgin within 24 hours of departure, at the gate they would charge me $72 per case,
So Don it looks like what your telling me here is that British Airways charge less for excess baggage, so why dont you go fly with them?
I so hope you get that Visa call for Tim real soon,
Take care,
Rodney.
I am flying with BA, but unfortunately, we are 300 miles from Bangkok, where BA operate, we have get from here, to Bangkok, so are going to have to go by 7 hour coach journey,, to avoid the heavy payment, on a smaller aircraft.
Don never mind - it is only once!
Old Nov 8th 2010, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Nice to hear from you Denise, hope everything is going well. Glad tests came out clear as I am sure that is a relief.

Welcome Impey, no matter that you are still in the UK. I am sure you can help with questions that will come up in the future.

Yesterday I had a call from a friend that I met through work who has Yorkies, her little female has just delivered 4 puppies and she was offering me one of them. It has put me in a quandrie, I miss my girls so much and find myself thinking that it would be lovely to have that company and all the joy that a little one would bring. I also realize that this is a life long comitment and with two other dogs coming over at some time it might cause me problems with housing in the future. I keep going back and forth on the decision and will have to make a decision soon.
It is such a pull isnt it, what stops me is the thought of having to arrange carers if I go away for a few days. Then there is the vets bills and licence fees. I know how much you would enjoy the company, have you considered being a dog carer for one of the organisations that ask for walkers. It wouldnt be the same as having your own little one but might take away some of the yearning.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 8:44 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes Ds has a tomtom, we bought it for him for Christmas a couple of years back, then before he left for UK we had the UK and Europe maps added to it online. It was cheaper to do it here than waiting till he got to UK.
Right, I forgot to mention about the European maps - better to purchase/install those in the US before you leave. But once that's done, you just plug your system in, turn the car on, train it to the sky with a clear line of "vision", and wait for it to pick up the proper satellite(s) (takes a while, but eventually it will find them).

E.Z.P.Z.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn

Hi ED,
I think that a nice little dog now would give you great company, I remember when you were in the last place that your landladies dog would visit you and I remember you saying that it made you very happy to have it around,
I dont think honestly that it would give you any problems in the future regarding housing in another place cause lets face it Pegie two dogs or three dogs would really make little difference to the owner of a property, thats just my opinion,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
I am flying with BA, but unfortunately, we are 300 miles from Bangkok, where BA operate, we have get from here, to Bangkok, so are going to have to go by 7 hour coach journey,, to avoid the heavy payment, on a smaller aircraft.
Don never mind - it is only once!
I see what you mean now Don, yes a 7 hour coach trip to the plane and then probably a few more hours waiting for the plane to take off, and then a long flight to England, you will be Im sure quite exhausted by the time you arrived in UK, by the way how long is the flight from Bangkok to London and was that the one BA that was non stop?
Rodney.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Dont think you would find many people agreeing with your opinion of Blair Chips.Most ordinary folk think he was a complete disaster etc. Oh, better shut up, politics, innit.
Its OK Bluenose, I understand what you are saying, I have no problem with that at all.

I have a friend that is labour all the way, he loved Blair at first but was VERY upset in the end, Ive seen many Blair interviews, Ive heard his excuses and dont beleive all he says but still I like the guy, I think he did the best with what he had, as I said before I think he was railroaded, his downfall was the War, a War I know he didnt want to be a part of, unfortunatly he didnt stick to his guns, (poor choice of words) He was lied to by our powers that be.

The USA engineered that war, Blair was conned I cant put it any clearer, Its so sad that America brought him down, it affects the way you live, I feel very sad about that.

In the early days I think many people were happy with Blair, (maybe not you) there was such a feeling of hope when I went back, it was wonderful...

I can tell you that I havent had the same wonderful response in the later years, Brits would pick up on my accent and give me many negative comments about Bush, Id always explain that I wasnt a person who had voted for him, some would then talk to me in a different manner and some would still be upset, I'm on their side and can understand their frurstratuion, Im not a war person at all.

Most people have no clue about American politics and how bush got voted in, its a very long story and I will stay away from it.

You may agree or disagree with my comments, thats really Ok with me, Im sure we cant agree on everything, you are certainly welcome to respond, Im all ears, Have a Great day as we say.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Plus if you think about it, it's only people of a certain age who would even know who Liberace was. I don't think anybody under say 45 would have even heard of him, it's not like he is an icon like Elvis or Marilyn Monroe.

The museum probably just fizzled out........
We took my mother in law and father in law to see him at Ceasars, what a show, he died a short tme afterwards, He really was a great entertainer.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by callé
just want to say...back home five years today. It was all worth it. And I am truly at home in my heart.
Ahhhhhh thats what really matters, Your post made my heart feel good too, you give us Hope, Thankyou...
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

I see what you mean now Don, yes a 7 hour coach trip to the plane and then probably a few more hours waiting for the plane to take off, and then a long flight to England, you will be Im sure quite exhausted by the time you arrived in UK, by the way how long is the flight from Bangkok to London and was that the one BA that was non stop?
Rodney.
Yes, it is nonstop, so more expensive, but the alternative, is fly with Arab Emirates, and spend fifteen hours waiting in Dubai,(Persian Gulf) which I hate! -- We shall leave, Bangkok at Ten Minutes past midnight (00.10 am) and alter our watches, back 7 hours, and arrive Heathrow, at fifteen minutes past six in the morning of the same day (6.15 am) - so it a flight of just over twelve hours. - then hopefully, be home about 1pm, after Customs, and London's rush hour. We get three meals on the 747. - and BA gives out , free booze. But I stick with Whisky and Canada Dry. Tippawan does not drink. If we fly direct with, Thai Airways, the cost is FOUR times the price, and ONE hour longer, for the same seats, on the same type of aircraft!(and Thai Food)) Don

Last edited by dontheturner; Nov 8th 2010 at 10:16 am. Reason: error
Old Nov 8th 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

For Rodney,

You can watch the trains come and go at Minhead Station on the live web.

http://www.checkitlive.com/camera/849

It is nice watching Abbey Road webcam this morning because it is wet but not raining which is England as I remember it.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

ED..I would also be torn. As you know we lost the last of our 3 dogs just over a year ago. My daughter thought I should have another one so she got me a litttle scottie she is lovely and I would not be witout her but it does make life more difficult at the moment. There is that added expense. License and food and off course getting the dog fixed at 6months visits to the vet all the injections.

I would sit down and write a list of all the things you will need if you do take the dog, being out at work all day with a puppy will be hard you will have to buy a crate. Look at the cost and think what you could be doing with that money. Could you bring one of your own dogs over. It is so easy to take the dog but you really have to think about what happens later. My niece in the UK just got a puppy and she has had alot of health problems with it but fortunately she has doggie health insurance. Dont mean to put a damper on it I know you would love the company.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 3:06 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Yes many times I have been there, but sadly it just last week closed its doors,
another victim to the lack of business in Vegas, lots of small businesses are really suffering here just like everywhere else,
Ah, sad, that Liberace museum closed. We had made a point of going there a few years ago, was an interesting place, sorry to see it go.
On travels we would most usually visit the little museums. many little towns have some sort of museum.
There is a Eva Gardner museum in Smithfield NC, where she grew up, just a small place but lots of poignant stuff from her life.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
ED..I would also be torn. As you know we lost the last of our 3 dogs just over a year ago. My daughter thought I should have another one so she got me a litttle scottie she is lovely and I would not be witout her but it does make life more difficult at the moment. There is that added expense. License and food and off course getting the dog fixed at 6months visits to the vet all the injections.

I would sit down and write a list of all the things you will need if you do take the dog, being out at work all day with a puppy will be hard you will have to buy a crate. Look at the cost and think what you could be doing with that money. Could you bring one of your own dogs over. It is so easy to take the dog but you really have to think about what happens later. My niece in the UK just got a puppy and she has had alot of health problems with it but fortunately she has doggie health insurance. Dont mean to put a damper on it I know you would love the company.
trotty I had no Idea of all the problems and expense of having a dog of your own, not being a dog owner myself,
its a little different then back in the day when you Just bought a dog and that was it, you fed him, played with him, trained him, took him to a vet when he was sick, gave him lots of love, just like your own child really,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.