Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Yes,it was raining buckets earlier - the sun just peeped out, here in Purley. But the wind is still blowing strongly. Oh well, tomorrow is another day! I was planning a bus excursion to a nearby town to buy some shoes, but the thought of taking a double decker in the early morning wind and rain was more than I could fathom. I have no idea how the bus drivers keep calm in weather like there was this morning.
A woman buying shoes, WoW, things are looking up! Enjoy shopping before things are picked over. My DW enjoyed buying Clarks shoes at a good price at the outlets in the UK
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
A woman buying shoes, WoW, things are looking up! Enjoy shopping before things are picked over. My DW enjoyed buying Clarks shoes at a good price at the outlets in the UK
Yes, it's Clarks. Found a pair I like yesterday when I was in Croydon getting a winter coat - only have coats suitable for the Northwoods of MN!!! Got a nice wool one at M & S. But the Clarks store there did not have my size, so I was going to the next town with a Clarks store - not now! May buy on line - just as cheap/expensive, and delivery is free over £30. Settling in - slowly. My Freedom Pass is in the pipeline too - will get it in about 10 days, then I can travel cheap or free. Yeah!! Oh the advantages of being 60.... Also sent in the application for Housing 21 - all the places I chose have waiting lists, but we'll see.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Yes, it's Clarks. Found a pair I like yesterday when I was in Croydon getting a winter coat - only have coats suitable for the Northwoods of MN!!! Got a nice wool one at M & S. But the Clarks store there did not have my size, so I was going to the next town with a Clarks store - not now! May buy on line - just as cheap/expensive, and delivery is free over £30. Settling in - slowly. My Freedom Pass is in the pipeline too - will get it in about 10 days, then I can travel cheap or free. Yeah!! Oh the advantages of being 60.... Also sent in the application for Housing 21 - all the places I chose have waiting lists, but we'll see.
So are in Chester now? Oh I see the answer to that question.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I played the comparing game for years, Gas/petrol, Cars, Homes, Food, Insurance etc.

Visitors from the UK tell me our cars and homes are cheap, and yes they are if you are spending British earned money to buy them, but if you live here and your wages haven't increased with the cost of living then they are relatively expensive.

You really have to put yourself in a bubble and realize its the cost in relevance to earnings in the country where you work live and buy products.

If I could work and get paid in the UK, live in America with an American home, buy a cheap new American Toyota, have British car insurance and the NHS I would be doing great, Id even get 4 weeks holidays paid for, but that's not how it works, we cant have the best of everything, its just not possible, we have to compromise.

Brits complain about the cost of Petrol, I must admit I would too, but the cost of Gas/Petrol is the same to oil companies in the UK, its just the high taxation that makes it cost more at the pump.

Those benefits of living in the UK have to come from somewhere.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Home prices.

In Feb 89 I went to the UK for a pre-move look around, at that time 3 bed semi's were priced at £23.000-£25.000, I moved back in Sept 89 just 7 months later, the same type of homes by the same builder in the same town were now priced at £45.000 - £50.000.

I asked friends and in laws why the prices had doubled, I was told that the News media had reported there weren't enough homes for people to buy.

Common sense tells me that in 7 months the UK couldn't have had such an increased demand for homes, homes were going up by £1000 a week, many were selling in just one or two days.

So what really happened?
In my opinion the News created panic buying which forced the prices up.

The people I spoke with that hadn't bought or sold were so excited that their home was now worth double, Little did they realize that if they wanted to buy a larger home the carrot had been pulled further away from them, (Idiots) Worst hit would be their own children living at home, it made it much harder for them to buy their first home.

I'm always told you follow the money, So who made money out of this situation,
Estate Agents sold more homes so they made money, but more than that the Banks and Insurance companies who loaned all that extra money made out like bandits, No extra work but lots of extra money.

I cant help but think the Banks and Insurance companies manufactured the news story knowing they would increase their profits.

If anyone has an opinion on this story positive or negative Id love to hear it, I just want to know if I'm missing something, is my logic is right or wrong.

England is famous for panic buying, My parents owned two Spar/Vivo shops at different times, let me tell you all you need is a story on TV saying Sugar, Tea, Butter or Bisto is in short supply and the customers will strip your shelves, Ive seen it with my own eyes.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was in the UK about 8 years ago, I think, and they told me the home prices were high because of the people moving back from Hong Kong before the takeover. Since this is history my dates maybe sqewed.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I played the comparing game for years, Gas/petrol, Cars, Homes, Food, Insurance etc.

Visitors from the UK tell me our cars and homes are cheap, and yes they are if you are spending British earned money to buy them, but if you live here and your wages haven't increased with the cost of living then they are relatively expensive.

You really have to put yourself in a bubble and realize its the cost in relevance to earnings in the country where you work live and buy products.

If I could work and get paid in the UK, live in America with an American home, buy a cheap new American Toyota, have British car insurance and the NHS I would be doing great, Id even get 4 weeks holidays paid for, but that's not how it works, we cant have the best of everything, its just not possible, we have to compromise.

Brits complain about the cost of Petrol, I must admit I would too, but the cost of Gas/Petrol is the same to oil companies in the UK, its just the high taxation that makes it cost more at the pump.

Those benefits of living in the UK have to come from somewhere.
You wrote you didn't know Durham (I'm sorry I can't find your original quote). Well neither did I until I was in my early 50's and was on a train from Manchester to Newcastle. I was awestruck. I had seen TV pictures & 'photos, but was completely unaware of the impact of seeing it for real. The place is awe inspiring, it's history even more so.

After seeing it, in real life, I couldn't wait to go back. I since have spent several days there & I think it is one of the most unique places on Earth. Bill Bryson, an American writer, born Des Moines, Iowa agrees with me. Also, when you are back, visit the holy island of Lindisfarne & an excavated fort at a place called Chesters in Northumberland.

The history of the north of England is a really amazing thing &, like you, I love it. When you eventually return, explore North Wales. Betws-y-Coed is beautiful as is Anglesey. I could probably go on for ever about Wales. Love the place.

Here's the link to Durham. Let me know what you think.

Valerie

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/e...rham-cathedral
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks to youtube I'm spending my time watching Doc Martin. I think this matches the brilliant series of All Creatures Great and Small.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

My mother had a terrace house just on the outskirts of Chester in Hoole. When she died I could have bought it but I decided not to. It sold for
£90,000 3 years later it sold for £177,000 it was updated but I just wish we had had borrowed the money to buy it. But we kept thinking of all the hassle of being out of the country and trying to do all the paper work.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by trottytrue
My mother had a terrace house just on the outskirts of Chester in Hoole. When she died I could have bought it but I decided not to. It sold for
£90,000 3 years later it sold for £177,000 it was updated but I just wish we had had borrowed the money to buy it. But we kept thinking of all the hassle of being out of the country and trying to do all the paper work.
Oh dear. But my Mother's house is probably worthless at the moment in Ellesmere Port. Thank God. But that's another story.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
You wrote you didn't know Durham (I'm sorry I can't find your original quote). Well neither did I until I was in my early 50's and was on a train from Manchester to Newcastle. I was awestruck. I had seen TV pictures & 'photos, but was completely unaware of the impact of seeing it for real. The place is awe inspiring, it's history even more so.

After seeing it, in real life, I couldn't wait to go back. I since have spent several days there & I think it is one of the most unique places on Earth. Bill Bryson, an American writer, born Des Moines, Iowa agrees with me. Also, when you are back, visit the holy island of Lindisfarne & an excavated fort at a place called Chesters in Northumberland.

The history of the north of England is a really amazing thing &, like you, I love it. When you eventually return, explore North Wales. Betws-y-Coed is beautiful as is Anglesey. I could probably go on for ever about Wales. Love the place.

Here's the link to Durham. Let me know what you think.

Valerie

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/e...rham-cathedral

I went to Durham University so I lived in Durham for three years.It is WONDERFUL. The cathedral is absolutely stunning, and needs to be seen in person to be believed..the heft of those massive pillars, the power, the beauty....It ahs been called the "best" Romanesque cathedral in EUROPE and I wouldn't be surprised!

Tina
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M
Congratulations to your son Beedubya on getting a job, as you say it's a start and will look good on his CV that he got a job fairly quickly. My son was just as lucky, he returned from Australia to London on a Thursday and started a job on the following Tuesday. Everyone, friends and relatives were very surprised as someone they knew with the same skills had been out of work for two years. After a year at that job, he applied for a better paid job and got it, thankfully. Compared to Italy where employment is hard to find even for Italians, we have always found (and we have been backwards and forwards to Italy for the last 40 years - well that's another story) that if you want to work (at least in London) you will find a job, it might not be very well paid but there are employment opportunities.
The weird thing is Pat, he was unemployed for MONTHS here, could not get a job, as I was myself for 3 months when I got back here!!

It does feel good to know he will be doing OK as he left with very little money in his rush to get over there.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

GagainPEI..My brother lived in Ellesmere Port and my nephew still lives there. We lived there before we moved to Chester cannot say I like it. My friend lives in Little Sutton.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
From what I have read Poole is one of the most expensive areas in the country and certain parts of it are considered the top real estate in the World. I think that is in the Sandbanks peninsula area of Poole. That whole area is really lovely. Just too bad it is so expensive. My grandparents used to own a small hotel in Bournemouth. Sold it for 13,000 pounds in the 60's. I know now it has been converted into about 12 flats.
Yes David,
My Mum & Dad bought the house (where my mother is living to this very day in Portsmouth)
in the 60's for 3,700 pounds,
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Impey
Rodney hi, I don't think you can actually use the National Express coaches using the red rose. Let's say you fancied seeing the lights in Blackpool for example, you would have to pay on the coach, but once up there you could ride around for nothing.

If my memory serves me right, you used to be able to pay just £1 on the National Express coaches, but since then they have altered it. I will check their website shortly to see what they say and let you know.

Impey
Thanks Impey,
Yes thats how I thought it worked,
but I am very interested in the one pound you mention on the national express, please let me know what you come up with,
Rodney,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.