Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 12th 2010, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Fish,
OK I have just this minute finished watching part one and part two, well I can say its different it was very interesting, never seen Top Gear before, I particulary liked the opening of the part 2 when the mission impossible music came on, added a bit of excitement,
Thanks for watching Rodney, I hope you liked it, Top Gear is a car show with a twist, Ive been watching it for years, this episode was my favorite.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
The weird thing is Pat, he was unemployed for MONTHS here, could not get a job, as I was myself for 3 months when I got back here!!

It does feel good to know he will be doing OK as he left with very little money in his rush to get over there.
Y

Good for your son, and it will be good for you when you get over here with him here. You are correct there are jobs over here somethimes you may not find the right one right away, but they are here.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by between two worlds
I went to Durham University so I lived in Durham for three years.It is WONDERFUL. The cathedral is absolutely stunning, and needs to be seen in person to be believed..the heft of those massive pillars, the power, the beauty....It ahs been called the "best" Romanesque cathedral in EUROPE and I wouldn't be surprised!

Tina
Lucky you. I loved wandering around the cathedral.

Originally Posted by trottytrue
GagainPEI..My brother lived in Ellesmere Port and my nephew still lives there. We lived there before we moved to Chester cannot say I like it. My friend lives in Little Sutton.
I left in 1966 but my family are all still there or living in Little & Great Sutton, Parkgate & Elton. It changed a lot when Vauxhalls moved in. My childhood was spent living on the edge of open countryside but, I still like to see Stanlow lit up at night. I felt the same about Ince power station but that`s gone now.

Hi Gagain,
Absolutely Amazing the Durham Cathedral, the Architecture is unbelievable,
Thanks for posting that link, and its a thousand years old and still going strong, I was in my Dads birthplace of Pembrook Dock, South Wales years ago and I was looking at this house that was still being lived in and it was 930 years old,
You talk about Wales, that is my all time favorite place in the whole of the world, the whole country of Wales,
Rodney.
Thanks Rodney. I've never explored further south in Wales but, based on TV programmes, Pembrokeshire appears to be very beautiful.

Cheers Valerie
Old Nov 12th 2010, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
I left in 1966 but my family are all still there or living in Little & Great Sutton, Parkgate & Elton. It changed a lot when Vauxhalls moved in.
Cheers Valerie
We used to take occasional trips to Parkgate, when I was a child and lived in Liverpool, and we sometimes bought those little paper cups of shrimp that they sold at a stand there. The last time I was there as an adult and had money I indulged in the shrimp and made myself sick. I think it was too rich for my stomach.

We as a family use to take the bus to the Pier Head and take the ferry to Birkenhead and then take the bus to Chester every Sunday. That was a treat. It must have cost my dad a lot of money but he probably enjoyed being with his children. There was four of us. Maybe there were only two because two had already moved to America. (so they lost out) This would be about 1953.

You are right about Vauxhalls having a bad effect on the area and that is why whenever I read in the media with headlines "this will bring 10,000 jobs" a red flag goes up for me. Even the people who get the jobs end up with a life of drudgery with monotonous repetitious work.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I loved Parkgate, went there once with my sister and my mum about 5 years ago, and I loved the whole "strangeness" of it, walking along the tiddly om pom prom, where there is no sea only marshland, quite surreal!! This was when my sister lived in West Kirby, oh I did like it there and am thinking maybe that is somewhere I could be happy living next year, somewhere in the Wirral.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-parkgate11.jpg  
Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:52 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Thanks Valarie.
I will have to check out all those wonderful places when I return, I doubt I will live long enough to see all the beauty of the British Isles, Ive been to Wales a few times and many places south of were I was born, I just need to explore further north.
Yes get up North! And of course just in case you missed me going on about it, that's where the beautiful Lake District is!
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-lake-district-14.jpg  
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats perfectly understandable cheers, I have so much going on in my head right now too, you know trying to not forget any fine detail that is on my list of things to do, I must not forget to do anything, and I keep checking things off the list as I do them, and sometimes I remember another thing I have to do, its a bit overpowering for me at the moment, thank goodness I do have my friend Art who is very organized, and he will make sure everythings done,
Its just that all this final moving thing and uprooting myself from everything I have known for so long is unknown territory for me, never did this before,
One things for sure when I get back home I will stay there for good, I cant go through all this again,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS cheers I am having fun on youtube myself lately watching very old British TV shows that I used to love, I have only recently got onto youtube, I love it, I know you do too, tell me something can we access youtube from the UK when we get there?
Rodney - I am right with you about the moving thing - I was in such a state of nerves just before leaving the USA - I could not believe I was that way, me who could help everyone else with their problems and moving! Yes, me. Nerves galore. Was I doing the right thing, could I manage on my own. Would I miss my 'stuff', how could I share with others when I had lived alone for so many years and lots of other doubts. Yes, I miss my little cottage, no I do not miss MN winter, yes I love the trains and buses, yes I miss my car. Am I homesick - yes, at times, no at times. Hopefully life will settle down soon. Especially as I was able to apply for my Freedom Pass yesterday! So free travel on the horizon at last. That has been my single biggest expenditure to date. Now, using Easterndawn as my mentor, I am off on the next stage - someplace to live, and a job. I decided to stay in the London region, as there are so many jobs available. At least for now. So those who were jealous of me for going to Chester, no need to feel that way. My host in Chester is not available until the new year, and hopefully I wil have a job by that time, so a visit will not work out.

Rosie
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes get up North! And of course just in case you missed me going on about it, that's where the beautiful Lake District is!
Oh Believe me Barb Im sold on the Lake District now, I Love that Lakeland Cam that I think Sally gave us the link for, I look at it a lot... it looks so peaceful, I love the old stone homes and towns, its like yesteryear and I like that feeling. I Doubt I could afford to live there but still its wonderful, Im a Dreamer...

Ahhhhhhhh there is so much I want to see...

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Nov 12th 2010 at 5:35 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

Oh Believe me Barb Im sold on the Lake District now, I Love that Lakeland Cam that I think Sally gave us the link for, I look at it a lot... it looks so peaceful, I love the old stone homes and towns, its like yesteryear and I like that feeling. I Doubt I could afford to live there but still its wonderful, Im a Dreamer...

Ahhhhhhhh there is so much I want to see...
Well you don't have to actually LIVE there, but anybody who goes back to "Broken Britain" and doesn't even visit is truly missing out on one of the most beautiful places on God's Earth. I cannot wait to get up there again next year!! Just 8 months away from getting home but who's counting!!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well you don't have to actually LIVE there, but anybody who goes back to "Broken Britain" and doesn't even visit is truly missing out on one of the most beautiful places on God's Earth. I cannot wait to get up there again next year!! Just 8 months away from getting home but who's counting!!
Barb, you sound so much happier these days.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cheers
We used to take occasional trips to Parkgate, when I was a child and lived in Liverpool, and we sometimes bought those little paper cups of shrimp that they sold at a stand there. The last time I was there as an adult and had money I indulged in the shrimp and made myself sick. I think it was too rich for my stomach.

We as a family use to take the bus to the Pier Head and take the ferry to Birkenhead and then take the bus to Chester every Sunday. That was a treat. It must have cost my dad a lot of money but he probably enjoyed being with his children. There was four of us. Maybe there were only two because two had already moved to America. (so they lost out) This would be about 1953.

You are right about Vauxhalls having a bad effect on the area and that is why whenever I read in the media with headlines "this will bring 10,000 jobs" a red flag goes up for me. Even the people who get the jobs end up with a life of drudgery with monotonous repetitious work.
Don't eat shrimps but my treat was the reverse of yours. Bus to Birkenhead & the ferry to Liverpool. My Dad was demobbed from the navy in May 1946 and I'm told, when he walked through the door, he said "I'm never leaving this house again". No holidays, no trips with him either. He did take us fishing with him to Backford ONCE. We were too noisy & never went again.

Yes. Vauxhalls completely altered the town. The countryside near my home was taken for a new road to all the new housing estates, the ants moved to nest near us and it took years to get rid of them. It did bring more jobs but also a lot of new people and changed the accent forever.

When I took my Mum & aunties out for a meal earlier this year, the waitress asked them where had they come from. They have lived there all their lives & speak with a Cheshire accent.

Valerie
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Oh I loved Parkgate, went there once with my sister and my mum about 5 years ago, and I loved the whole "strangeness" of it, walking along the tiddly om pom prom, where there is no sea only marshland, quite surreal!! This was when my sister lived in West Kirby, oh I did like it there and am thinking maybe that is somewhere I could be happy living next year, somewhere in the Wirral.
Hi Barb

Since I posted that this morning I talked to my Mum. Roger had just visited her to let her know he was moving out of Parkgate to West Kirby next month.

Life moves fast!. Oh & she's going to be a great-great grandmother next year, which means my brother is going to be a gg-grandfather at 63 (shakes head).

Valerie
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I was able to apply for my Freedom Pass yesterday! So free travel on the horizon at last. That has been my single biggest expenditure to date. I decided to stay in the London region, as there are so many jobs available.
Rosie
So Rosie lets study London as I have in the recent past. I tried St Johns Wood which looks like a nice area and I decided for me a studio would be alright because I don't plan on entertaining. In your case you would want to consider being close to your place of work and it would be nice if you could walk to work. As for the car, have you check into the car share system? There are a lot of places were they are parked in London. I'm sure you don't want the expense of owning one.

Thanks for the update! I don't think you have posted any pictures lately?

Have you picked up a London accent yet? Put another way, if you wanted to cover up your US accent for a brief conversation, could you do it? Sometimes it pays to avoid your accent when you ask someone something because the other person is distracted by the accent and is not listening to the question you are asking.

I can see how you can save 'mucho' money with the pass for the bus and thats why I would consider London and also as you said the availability of jobs thing. And I see lots of room on the buses that pass the Abbey Road Webcam.

Cheers
Old Nov 12th 2010, 9:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Barb, you sound so much happier these days.
I do feel better just lately, could it be because I have decided to go HOME?
Old Nov 12th 2010, 9:20 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
Hi Barb

Since I posted that this morning I talked to my Mum. Roger had just visited her to let her know he was moving out of Parkgate to West Kirby next month.

Life moves fast!. Oh & she's going to be a great-great grandmother next year, which means my brother is going to be a gg-grandfather at 63 (shakes head).

Valerie
WOW!!! That is some greats!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.