Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 14th 2010, 7:37 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
...and as for the wobbles, we all have them but like you say you have to reconize and deal with them.

Yes and NEXT time I have to remember this and not do what I did LAST time.........I could kick myself for coming back and staying, but I can't turn back the clock.......

Now thinking of end of February - about 16 weeks away!!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Trottytrue, I once had a salesman repeatedly call to see if I would make an appointment for some kind of freezer full of meat scheme, he said when he came he would bring 2lbs of the finest hamburger meat there was. So I made an appointment for 3am in the morning, funny he never showed up and I never heard form him again.

Had some bad news this week, hubby called to let me know on Thursday that the care had conked out, we have a 2005 Kia. It only has just over 80,000 klm but was told that the timing chain had come apart and that it had caused damaged to the engine. They have quoted us a bill of $1,600.00
which again wipes out our savings, hubby needs this car to get to work which is 40 klm each way, no public transport there on the island. They also told him that this part needed to be changed at 100,000 klm or this happens, tell me if I am just stupid or what, if a part needs to be changed and has the possibilty of doing this sort of damage then why not rectify the problem so this does not happen in the first place
Old Nov 14th 2010, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes and NEXT time I have to remember this and not do what I did LAST time.........I could kick myself for coming back and staying, but I can't turn back the clock.......

Now thinking of end of February - about 16 weeks away!!
Sorry, what happens in February Denise? Are you going to watch the memorial festival on TV tonight, watched it last year when Vera Lynn was there, was moved to tears.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 14th 2010 at 7:42 am.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Is that when Tony has his test?
Old Nov 14th 2010, 7:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, what happens in February Denise? Are you going to watch the memorial festival on TV tonight, watched it last year when Vera Lynn was there, was moved to tears.
Peigi get ya specs on - it's me Barb not Denise!!

I am thinking end of February to come HOME!!! It's going to be tight but I will survive won't I? My daughter told me today that she is not bothered about going to England for the wedding and "is over the whole England thing" - so there is no need for me to hang around is there? Just a shortage of $$$$$ and when I get some I am offski!!

So sorry to hear about your car Peigi, what a kick in the teeth!! Any news on your house selling?

I see Trottytrue has somebody interested in her house so fingers crossed for both of you.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Peigi get ya specs on - it's me Barb not Denise!!

I am thinking end of February to come HOME!!! It's going to be tight but I will survive won't I? My daughter told me today that she is not bothered about going to England for the wedding and "is over the whole England thing" - so there is no need for me to hang around is there? Just a shortage of $$$$$ and when I get some I am offski!!

So sorry to hear about your car Peigi, what a kick in the teeth!! Any news on your house selling?

I see Trottytrue has somebody interested in her house so fingers crossed for both of you.
sorry, your right need my specs on, more and more
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Had some bad news this week, hubby called to let me know on Thursday that the care had conked out, we have a 2005 Kia. It only has just over 80,000 klm but was told that the timing chain had come apart and that it had caused damaged to the engine. They have quoted us a bill of $1,600.00
which again wipes out our savings, hubby needs this car to get to work which is 40 klm each way, no public transport there on the island. They also told him that this part needed to be changed at 100,000 klm or this happens, tell me if I am just stupid or what, if a part needs to be changed and has the possibilty of doing this sort of damage then why not rectify the problem so this does not happen in the first place
Oh Peigi, thats a real bummer, 80.000 isnt 100.000, so that makes no sense, I know some korean cars at least in America came with a ten years 100.000 Mile warranty, did your car not have this? Maybe it was after 2005 not sure.

Timing belts, On some cars a broken timing belt will cause more damage and on others it just stops working but causes no damage, I dont know why, I just know its how it goes with some types of cars, I suppose you have no option but to fix it. Good luck.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

I am trying to add some pictures but can't remember how, can anyone help.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:01 am
Home Sweet Home

I am trying to add some pictures but can't remember how, can anyone help.
The only way I know to do it is to go to the paper clip icon when you post your message and upload a pic from your computer......there is probably an easier way but I haven't found it.......

Testing testing 1 2 3 - this SHOULD be my own pic from the Lake District last year......mmm........then people can click on the image if they want to see the full size pic.......I think.....YES IT WORKS.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-dscf1188.jpg  

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 14th 2010 at 11:11 am.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:16 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Derrygal..Yes I think it does depend on where you live but I do think that Northern New Englanders are not as friendly as people in other parts of the counry. Perhaps its got something to do with the weather.
Northern New Englanders are not as welcoming as folks down South, but on the other hand I don't remember anyone asking if we'd found a church home as the second thing out of their mouth after saying hey..........

PS One tends not to talk too much there because the words may freeze.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:16 am
Home Sweet Home

How about this one, that made me cry with happiness!! LOL!!
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-dscf2362.jpg  
Old Nov 14th 2010, 12:42 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe there is an increasing problem with the flag - I think there is just a lot of media hype around a few instances - some of which never even happened! It's like the 'war on Christmas' - there isn't one but a lot of people make a lot of money stirring the pot and saying that there is.

I have traveled a lot and I have never seen a country so obsessed with flag waving as America. Most houses have flags outside, cars have flags on them, people wear flag t-shirts -- if there's a fight to stop that happening, I haven't seen any evidence of it. And I live in the most liberal place you could ever live.

I am genuinely worried about the increasing resentment against immigrants in this country and the way the media is fanning those flames with these false stories. And when I say media, I mean Fox News and the Murdoch-owned newspapers. Everyone in America is a recent immigrant - everyone - and yet as soon as a bad economy hits, they forget that and get angry at the immigrants. I can say this with all honesty - the economy in my nice little neighborhood would grind to a halt without illegal immigrants. They never mention that on Fox News.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Nov 14th 2010 at 12:51 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I don't believe there is an increasing problem with the flag - I think there is just a lot of media hype around a few instances - some of which never even happened! It's like the 'war on Christmas' - there isn't one but a lot of people make a lot of money stirring the pot and saying that there is.

I have traveled a lot and I have never seen a country so obsessed with flag waving as America. Most houses have flags outside, cars have flags on them, people wear flag t-shirts -- if there's a fight to stop that happening, I haven't seen any evidence of it. And I live in the most liberal place you could ever live.

I am genuinely worried about the increasing resentment against immigrants in this country and the way the media is fanning those flames with these false stories. And when I say media, I mean Fox News and the Murdoch-owned newspapers. Everyone in America is a recent immigrant - everyone - and yet as soon as a bad economy hits, they forget that and get angry at the immigrants. I can say this with all honesty - the economy in my nice little neighborhood would grind to a halt without illegal immigrants. They never mention that on Fox News.
There is plenty of resentment against immigrants in other countries - including the UK (a lot of immigration from Eastern European countries, especially Poland in the past two decades). It isn't just happening in the US - unfortunately it is everywhere. Also, it was around back in the 60s and 70s in the UK (remember Enoch Powell?)
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I am fine. My husband left early this morning without speaking. I pray he will have cooled off when he gets back. I know it sounds sad, but I went back to bed and hugged my little doggies. I couldn't live without them.
Thank you all for caring so much.
Glad to know you are okay. Just want to let you know I'm thinking of you and hope that you are able to come to a decision about your future. You are between a rock and a hard place - not easy. Take care of yourself.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Mummy in the foothills.. Forget tolerance. They all should be thrown on a plane and sent back to where they came from. Frightening thing is they were probably born in the UK.

Today I had a phone call from 'Kirby Cleaners' asking me would I like my carpet cleaned and my wood floor buffed. I asked did I have to buy anything to get it done The answer was no. So being as someone is supposed to come and look at the house tomorrow I thought what a good idea. Instead of me doing the work let someone else do it for me. WAS I WRONG....I knew I was in trouble when I saw this 20year old girl struggling up the pathway with a couple of boxes under her arms. I opened the door and in she came.
She asked what I was looking for and I explained I wanted my floor buffing and the carpet in the front room cleaning. SHE said before she could do that I would have to listen to her give a talk on the' KIRBY cleaner'. I had to sit for nearly an hour while she went on and on about this cleaner showing me every spare part it had. Then she said would I like to see a demonstration. I could not wait. Only trouble was she did not give the demonstration I was given the hoover and told to get use to it and see how I liked it while she followed me around the room removing filters from the hoover and dropping them on the floor she then said before we can buff the kitchen floor we need to see how dirty it is so she had ME hoover it over and over and over again until in the end I said thats enough. She then decided to buff it but only one small 6ft by 6ft. When I was not happy with it she then proceeded to pour water mixed with carpet shampoo onto the floor and set the carpet cleaner in motion. She had foaming bubbles everywhere Then she could not suck up all the bubbles from the floor so I had to get my mop out and do it for her. I asked her how many times she had done this before and she said she had only been doing it for two weeks. My floor was now soaking wet and she was trying to buff it. She then moved onto the bedroom flung the blankets back (I had just made the dam thing) and began to vacuum my bed and tell me it was full of bugs showing me pictures and telling me how they feed on my skin. At this point I wanted to kill her. :curse:
When she had finished she took my hand and shook it and said could she consider me a new member of the Kirby family. I cannot repeat to either you or her what was being said in my head. I told her no, I said she had not even give me a price for the hoover. she proceeded to sit me down and tell me all the good points about the cleaner and then showed me the cost. It turns out it cost $2,225.
After my 10th NO she packed up and left and I was left to clean the carpet and polish the kitchen floor. I was absolutely knackered mentally and physically I will never try to get something for nothing ever again.
OMG what a mess, I'd have been freaking out long before you and tossed her out What a mess you were left with. I hope you called and complained.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.