Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Thanks Hightide, did the same last night also, but couldn't find out much. The wee dog is a Yorkshire Terrier one of four, week old puppies, they belong to a friend of mine who lives in Loch Lomond.
Loved the pics, I love water too, thats a lovely view, many of us would love it, me for one.

Back to the Pooch, I could give you a thousand reasons to have him but decided Id stay out of this one.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
This seems to happen every year here. Last year it was a couple of boys in flag tee shirts all week, they were sent home to change as it may "hurt someones feelings" Or some such rubbish.
The world has gone politically correctness mad, everyone want to save the feelings of immigrants, I think all immigrants are a little tougher than that. Move to US you'll see the flag everywhere, move to UK get used to 2 minutes silence and poppies (did you see that fiasco?)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11744811 I'm honestly becoming less tolerant as I get older.
Wow Mummy, I clicked on that link about the Muslim protesters burning poppies and holding signs that said (British soldiers burn in hell) and also shouting it out too,
Do you know if we did that in the country of there race we would be killed, and no questions asked,
We cant throw them out of the country because most of these people are second or even third generation muslims who are British Citizens,
And judging by there behavior and obvious hatred for the British, these people who have lived in UK all there life are the future what we call home grown terrorists, ----- BIG PROBLEM!!!
We have the same problem in the United States,
Rodney.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes and NEXT time I have to remember this and not do what I did LAST time.........I could kick myself for coming back and staying, but I can't turn back the clock.......

Now thinking of end of February - about 16 weeks away!!
No Barb we cant turn back the clock, dont beat yourself up, you returned to Oz cause you missed your family back there, you thought at the time that you were doing the right thing,
The Important thing now is that you have made plans to go back to the UK,
do you think that 16 weeks will be long enough for you to save enough money to go back?
I hope your well,
Rodney.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Rodney goes home the week after next.
Oh Cheers your so right, ohhhhh the time is just flying by so fast, have I got everything done? is there something that I forgot to do?
I still have to go into hospital to get my medical reports of last stay,
The Salvation Army is coming around to pick up my last pieces of furniture on Tuesday, just a couple of warn recliners left,
Still got the car to sell, but carmax is buying that on 22nd,
Then return plates to DMV,
Then turn off all utilities & Phone,
Its just all the last minute things that have to be done right at the end that makes you panick a bit,
Well at least all four suitcases are packed, trouble is now Im worried about the weight, what if one or two of the bags are a little overweight they only allow you 50 pounds, --- over that and the dreaded overweight charge applies, an extra $50 each case, on top of the $50 per case for the 3 extra cases,
The way I way them is I stand on the bathroom scales and get my weight and then do same but holding the case and just deduct my weight from that weight and thats it, but I worry how exact is that,
I remember reading Anna's posts just before she left the States to go and live to Malta, well she was just like I am now, but this is what she said, --- well I hope Ive taken care of everything but If not then ---- well its too late when Im on the plane,
And when she got to Malta she said well this is my time now to Just completely forget about my life in the US, and just have fun and be me, all worries out the door, this is my new life --- so nothing else to think about,
and life is way too short for worrying about anything,
I want to be Just like her when I grow up
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Nov 14th 2010 at 10:59 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Oh Cheers your so right, ohhhhh the time is just flying by so fast, have I got everything done? is there something that I forgot to do?
The Salvation Army is coming around to pick up my last pieces of furniture on Tuesday, just a couple of warn recliners left,
Its just all the last minute things that have to be done right at the end that makes you panick a bit,
Well at least all four suitcases are packed, trouble is now Im worried about the weight, what if one or two of the bags are a little overweight they only allow you 50 pounds, --- over that and the dreaded overweight charge applies, an extra $50 each case, on top of the $50 per case for the 3 extra cases,
The way I way them is I stand on the bathroom scales and get my weight and then do same but holding the case and just deduct my weight from that weight and thats it, but I worry how exact is that,
I remember reading Anna's posts just before she left the States to go and live to Malta, well she was just like I am now, but this is what she said, --- well I hope Ive taken care of everything but If not then ---- well its too late when Im on the plane,
And when she got to Malta she said well this is my time now to Just completely forget about my life in the US, and just have fun and be me, all worries out the door, this is my new life --- so nothing else to think about,
Rodney.
Me too....in the worst kind of way...
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Mummy, I clicked on that link about the Muslim protesters burning poppies and holding signs that said (British soldiers burn in hell) and also shouting it out too,
Do you know if we did that in the country of there race we would be killed, and no questions asked,
We cant throw them out of the country because most of these people are second or even third generation muslims who are British Citizens,
And judging by there behavior and obvious hatred for the British, these people who have lived in UK all there life are the future what we call home grown terrorists, ----- BIG PROBLEM!!!
We have the same problem in the United States,
Rodney.
Are you saying they burned poppies in the UK???????
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Rodney.
Hi Rodney,

That is exactly how we have been weighing boxes. Standing on scales and getting my weight (which seems to fluctuate each day) and then weighing with the box. All the boxes for shipping are now at our friend's house in storage. I understand exactly what you are saying about the last minute things as we have different piles left now with different destinations and different charities. Mail is already being redirected, cable and utilities cut off as of Tuesday.
My computer will be the last thing to be disconnected and will still be able to get on line from friend's house via my laptop. Cannot imagine being without that.
Soon you will be closing the door and on your way just like Anna to the rest of your new life.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Are you saying they burned poppies in the UK???????
If you look at Page 507 of this thread and Quote # 7596 (from Mummy in the Foothills), the link is there to the BBC news article regarding the poppy burning.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
If you look at Page 507 of this thread and Quote # 7596 (from Mummy in the Foothills), the link is there to the BBC news article regarding the poppy burning.
Jesus......what is world coming to?? I used to work at the Passport Office in Petty France when I was a uni student...London was a kind and gentle place.....(1963-1965). Lunch was a picnic in St James Park. I actually wrote the Rolling Stones very first passport......in those days a group passport was the norm for more than one person. We had to have good printing skills and always in turquoise ink. Do any of you remember that?
That was a wonderful time of my life. So hopefully back again to catch up with old friends.
Our 13 wedding anniversary today was non existent. I cooked a good dinner tonight......grilled salmon, three colours of green peppers and English peas....just an ordinary day. Talked to my brother in Belfast.....told him my proposed date for fleeing is June 2011. He is also a solicitor and worries about this family going to make things difficult. We will have to see.....l
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I am getting over yesterdays terrible events. I am very glad that you all saw the humour in yesterdays events after relaxing for a while so did I

The estate agent never brought the people to see the house no phone call nothing. All that work for nothing.

Rodney...Time is flying past so quickly I cannot believe you will soon be on that plane. I am so excited for you.

Celticspirit...If I made you laugh I am glad... Even more pleased that you have a plan for next year. Sounds like a great opportunity while you are abroad with the dog show.

ED...What a beatiful view from your flat. So tranquil. I love the puppy. Sorry about your husbands car that stinks. We had a similar problem our car was costing a fortune and we had hung on hoping the house would sell and we wouldnt need to buy another one. The car gave out and my OH had buy one a few months ago. He didnt by an all wheel drive and now we are trying to decide what to do. He did buy some chains for the new car, well second hand lets hope they do the trick.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Dame Helen on British humour.

She singled out British comedy as an example. "I prefer the finesse of French humour. English humour is harsher, more scathing, more cruel and more surreal too, as illustrated by Monty Python and the TV series Little Britain, where situations are far-fetched and over-the-top.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I actually watched this on BBC, there were not a large demostration of young muslems but It was very worrying to watch.

Rodney, it is getting close isn't it, I remember the weeks before I left, I kept doing the this is the last time I wll do this thing and in many aspect it was a sad thing. For me I have been raised as a Canadian since I left at such an early age and really did not remember much of anything else. It was scary, and when I got here I thought even the air smelled differently, I remember thinking, what have I done but it all starts to become just as normal as anything. I now have my favourite food, favourite TV programmes etc. and my husband commented last night that I now forget that when speaking about money that he is still dealing in dollars, as I always talk about pounds.
For you it will be much easier, as you have been back home, and you have your daughter, mom and family, what a Christmas it will be at your home.

As for the puppy, I am still wrestling with that and will do for the next few weeks. I will be going up to visit my friend in a few weeks and will have to make the decision then and yes I know that is probable the wrong thing to do, but if I don't I will always wonder.

I do agree about living by water, I think it is because it is a living changing thing. If I have my balcony door open I can hear it and it is lovely. I have taken pictures for my husband to see where I live and I think it has made him more determined about getting here, it has been over a year since we saw each other and that is a long time for any marriage. Although he never said anything I could feel that there was starting to get a distance between us, but that has gone. This thing with the car has just been such a set back for us, we really can't just forget about this one as we have spent so much money on it to begin with and at least he would know that it was in good shape. If he was to purchase a different one we might get more problems than we need. You know what they say better the devil you know than the one you don't.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 15th 2010 at 6:10 am.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:58 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
If this works, this is the view from the balcony of my flat and one of wee Macgregor, at two weeks old wee Mac for short.Attachment 96902

Hey it worked
Peggy loving the view from your balcony, I do LOVE water views there is something special about them.

View from my kitchen window......Lake District, did I ever mention that place ha ha!!
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-flat-after-23-.jpg  
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:02 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
That is lovely ED....there is nothing like having a water view whether it be the sea, lake (loch) or river. It is ever changing and always some movement which I love and find very comforting.

I am so sorry about your car back in Canada. I do hope this gets resolved for you. I tried to find a similar situation on a Kia forum for you but don't have too much time to play on the internet right now as I will be homeless as of Tuesday. Moving into friend's house until departing for London in just over a week. Very exciting times ahead but also scary having ones lifetime in boxes with no home. It's all good.
Good luck I am right behind you at 3 months, things in boxes, living with family, no job, no home, no money..........
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:09 am
Home Sweet Home

No Barb we cant turn back the clock, dont beat yourself up, you returned to Oz cause you missed your family back there, you thought at the time that you were doing the right thing,
The Important thing now is that you have made plans to go back to the UK,
do you think that 16 weeks will be long enough for you to save enough money to go back?
I hope your well,
Rodney.
Rodney I have no idea and I am soooo scared, but really what are my possessions but wood, glass and material?? My friend came here with 3 suitcases of clothes and $3000 and she is OK, as will I be.........I spoke to my sister last night......the one whose husband died and she told me there will always be a place for me at her home....SO I will do this thing sell up all I have and arrive with very little ..........but I am a worker not a shirker......and I will be fine.......gulp....still scared though............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.