Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

[QUOTE=dontheturner;9008403]
Originally Posted by MNandMN

I didn't say anything about BUYING. Comparing prices, gives people some idea, of the limit they should be paying for the car of their choice.

But for other things, I have been buying items off ebay, for years, and provided that you you understand the items you are buying, . Then folks will be fine.- there is redress, with Paypal. (And they do pay out) dontheturner
You think you would get redress via Paypal if your car needed extensive repairs a month after you bought it on Ebay? I doubt it unless from a dealer with a warrenty, just giving the benefit of someone who has knowledge of others buying vehicles on Ebay to hopefully help others be cautious, you obviously don't need any advice at all though
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
I bet Rodney is so busy doing last minute running around. Also sometimes it is not so easy to stay in touch when you are staying with friends. Looks like we might be leaving on the 30th. also. Now have 71 boxes packed and staying with friends. Had to delay our flight a few days as there was so much still to do at this end. Our quote for shipping 71 boxes, 3 chairs and an antique games table (backgammon/chess) was $3100. We will have 1/2 of a 20 ft container but will not be shipping until we have found a property in the UK.
Great to hear from you HighTide David, was just wondering if you guys were back in UK--so you've delayed a bit--maybe you will miss the cold snap if you time it right!

Good luck, keep us posted,
Tina.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Check Zillow in 75063. For us it is a disaster......$80,000 down in three years
This is bad if you are getting out of the housing market but if you going to buy another house you will get it for $80,000 less, at least thats the way I see it. I think mine has dropped by 50%.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well I am glad somebody enjoyed it LOL!! I am not looking forward to my flight at all, it takes about 24 hours give or take an hour or two.........
Is it possible to go by ship? I keep thinking of that option for myself.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=dontheturner;9008200]
Originally Posted by cheers
So Rodney isn't talking to us........but only to Don....

Hey Don look at these cars on this website

http://bccars.dyndns.org/view/view.shtml

Hello Cheers - My favourite Car asite, is not far from home - can alwyas scrounge a lift there - do look at www.ashleyjordancars.co.uk - he always has a good quality selection., however on www.ebay.co.uk, there is a Rover 827, stretch limo, in black - been used for weddings, so low mileage - and also a Mercedes in black, which oddly, must have shipped from UK, to Thailand, for the Ambassador, and is now back in the UK, and for sale at £2,850 - a beauty, but a bit ''ostentatious'', for my area! - but would be good for fetching others from the Airport! I am seeking a Ford Focus, Automatic, in Silver-green Estate. dontheturner
I'm confused on the Rover and who built them? I think Honda built them for awhile and slapped the Rover name on them. Do you remember back in the 40's when they were a upscale doctors car?
I hope you don't take my posting seriously because I tend to write tongue in cheek and I never want offend anyone. (re: Rodney only writes to Don)
I will look up your car dealer when I get through the latest postings.
Who made the Rover 827?
I came across a Lanchester that was beautifully finished inside.
I'm so surprised that people in the UK don't park their cars in the garage as we do here. Seems to me that the weather there requires them to be inside. I think they do build homes with garages now in about 50% of the builds including your house.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes this is true. I know of 2 success stories on the Friends Reunited site.

http://www.friendsreunited.com/

One is in my own family where my cousins 15 year old daughter and I connected on the genealogy part of the site and it led to a reunion with cousin's after a big falling out over 20 years ago, they have been to family weddings and funerals and even a holiday as we were all close when we were younger.

The other is my girlfriend who is in the UK now (hates it BTW) who tried to find a long lost lover she was engaged to in their 20's, he never read it for 3 years until this year when he sent her a 12 page hand written letter, she moved over there in May and now they are living together and he might come back here with her next year!! And they hadn't seen each other for 30 years and are both in their 50's!!!

See you never know unless you try.......of course it could go the other way and you meet and have nothing in common..........
This reminds me of a girl who showed up at my sisters doorstep and asked her what her connection was with her family since she had been doing family history for the same people. It turns out she was from Australia and my sister was in the US. I think we had a cousin that went to Australia and she was his daughter.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Southall, sounds right!

“Many UK citizens who have moved overseas have wrongly believed that because they are a UK citizen or they have paid taxes for many years that they’ll have automatic access to the NHS if they need to come home. In many cases this has not been the case.

Whats this all about? I got this from the Daily Telegraph just now.
Nobody commented on this the first time I posted.

I think this pertains to most of us. What gives?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you are asking, but returning residents are eligible for free NHS treatment. It's been covered numerous times, including a post earlier today. UK citizens who do not reside in the UK are not eligible for free NHS treatment (other than emergencies, as for any visitor to the UK), and rightly so.

Last edited by dunroving; Nov 28th 2010 at 3:42 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi Eastern - I see you are back home in Scotland? I want to go back, too. May I ask what part you settled in and how long you were away? Does it feel like home yet?
I was born in Ayr in the West and that is where I came back to, I was gone for 45 years and yes it is now feeling like home, unfortunately I still have my husband back in Canada trying to sell our house. I also have children and grandchildren back there also but it with skype and yahoo messagnger it is easy to keep in touch with them as even in Canada they were a long way from where we were living they are all in the West and we lived in the East.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

What you read in the "Daily Telegraph" would almost certainly be pertaining to 'health tourists'; these would be British citizens who live permanently overseas, have no intention of residing again in the UK but have chosen to come over for health treatment because it is unavailable or too expensive in their country of residence.

I remember chatting with a Jamaican lady who sold coffee and newspapers at our local train station (in a New Jersey suburb). She told me that most of her relatives in Jamaica would go to England and stay with other relatives there for a few weeks, purely to get treatment on the NHS. I think there has been a tightening up of this kind of abuse of NHS resources, but I guess there are many whom still slip through the net.

It's been going on for many years - when my daughter was born 26 years ago a section of the ward at the maternity hospital had to be closed off and the patient treated in isolation; I still remember her name - a Mrs Bibi had just flown in from Pakistan a few days before delivery and it turned out that she had TB...

I should also imagine that NHS receptionists (at local doctors' surgeries, in health clinics, hospitals etc.) are loathe to ask for proof of permanent or temporary work or student-related residence in the UK - first of all it's not their job to be immigration officers and decipher what all the stamps actually mean on visas in their passports (even if they ask to see them) and secondly they don't want to be accused of racism.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canadageoff....and any other new people, including windsong if I didn't already say that....

Rodney's leaving date was indeed Tuesday, Nov 30---but didn't he say before going to his friend's for the last week that he wouldn't be online as much? That's why he wished ED happy birthday early, as I recall....so it's probably just that thing of being at a friend's, and being busy in last couple of days in USA....

I really should wean myself off this site, as I'm going to France soon, for the next couple of years, and shouldn't be allowing myself to wallow in nostalgia for the UK! (Tho of course I hope to visit England more often from there).

But I am hooked now...I have to see what happens to everyone, Beedubya/Barb's's preparations between now and Feb, High Tide/David's departure, hope to hear again from DDL/Denise back in England w hubbyTony, both looking for jobs, also look forward very much to hearing from Rodney once he's in Portsmouth and online, plus following Celticspirit who has been so open about her difficult situation, ditto charleygirl who has been silent for a while, also ED/Peigi and her continuing brave saga (now going so well), and Lake District fan sallysimmons, and of course Trottytrue trying to sell her house--wasn't there a viewing scheduled today TT?--and get back to UK....and Fish & Chips also trying to sell--two houses, I believe--and EVERYONE on here--too many to mention--but ALL feel like friends now!

However, if I'm on here less, it will be because I'm busy preparing for another transition...

Tina
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Barb, congratulations on making the big decision and booking travel back home. You will be fine, you are worrying about all the same things that I worried about before I made the move.

Rodney, have a great flight home tomorrow and a wonderful renunion with your family. Wear the long johns though it is very cold and frosty here right now and they are saying it will last for a few weeks at least.

Went and got my TV yesterday from Curry's, decided to buy new at least that way I have warrenty. The price was good £249 for a 32" and it looks good on the mantle of the fireplace (it is a very sturdy mantle). Went down to one of my favourite charity shops and found a lovely little round table with four chairs for £25 and they delivered it today for £5.00. So now I am as cozy as a bug in a rug in my little flat and loving it more and more, so you see if I can do it anyone can.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,
I have not been able to get on line for almost a week cause now Im at my friends house living for my last week in US and its difficult cause his computor is in his room, so very hard for me to access our thread and talk to all my friends on here,
So Im off on plane in a couple of days on Tuesday flight leaves for Gatwick 4.30pm 30th,
So Im very excited/nervous but all bags packed and Im good to go, when I get to England I will be checking in with ya all after a couple of days when I get a little settled with my Mum,
Until then all my friends on here, ------ fight the good fight, and NEVER let go of your dreams, ---- and one day that special wonderful day will arrive when we will all be over there in UK --- and we will have that reunion and we will all meet. ---- WOW what a wonderful day that will be Huh !!!!
Take care everyone.
I will post again when I get to England,
(CHEERIO) for now,
Rodney.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello everyone,
I have not been able to get on line for almost a week cause now Im at my friends house living for my last week in US and its difficult cause his computor is in his room, so very hard for me to access our thread and talk to all my friends on here,
So Im off on plane in a couple of days on Tuesday flight leaves for Gatwick 4.30pm 30th,
So Im very excited/nervous but all bags packed and Im good to go, when I get to England I will be checking in with ya all after a couple of days when I get a little settled with my Mum,
Until then all my friends on here, ------ fight the good fight, and NEVER let go of your dreams, ---- and one day that special wonderful day will arrive when we will all be over there in UK --- and we will have that reunion and we will all meet. ---- WOW what a wonderful day that will be Huh !!!!
Take care everyone.
(CHEERIO) for now,
Rodney.
God Speed Rodney....can't wait to hear from you again
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello everyone,
Take care everyone.
(CHEERIO) for now,
Rodney.
Great to hear from you Rodney!! Have a good flight/safe journey. Let us know how you are getting on when you get settled and get online again.
Take care of yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.