Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Do you know the Publisher?
I could name some of them fairly quickly if I look them up but because the books have been reprinted and reprinted, there are many different publishers over time. A & C Black in London was one.

All I need to do is Google her name and tons of entries pertaining to her books come up. They were popular in her time and even moreso now. The books are of such quality apparently that they are being used in schools and in universities.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:54 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
OMG........I am soooooo happy for you!!! You are very brave. I am not jealous........just envious. You have decided not to waste another minute. Wish my life could be so simple. In front of me there is a divorce, a house to sell in a market where houses are selling for less than we purchased ours for 12 years ago.
To top this.......Doc Martin has been replaced by some silly Irish Xmas show.....just when I needed some black humour. Oh well back to my glass of Malbec.

Big congrats on such a huge decision!
Ah yes you have a BIG journey ahead of you. Good luck with it all, what a nightmare!! Will you definitely go back home or do you think the bad times with your husband are just making it worse for you living in the USA?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I could name some of them fairly quickly if I look them up but because the books have been reprinted and reprinted, there are many different publishers over time. A & C Black in London was one.

All I need to do is Google her name and tons of entries pertaining to her books come up. They were popular in her time and even moreso now. The books are of such quality apparently that they are being used in schools and in universities.
Perhaps if you could find the most recent publisher, you could contact them for information.!
Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:58 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong

Oooh now I am intrigued, firstly I thought of Enid Blyton, then saw the books are used in universities where I don't suppose they would be studying The Famous Five.

I agree with Jacky follow the paper trail back from the latest publisher.....kind of like doing genealogy.....
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:09 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oooh now I am intrigued, firstly I thought of Enid Blyton, then saw the books are used in universities where I don't suppose they would be studying The Famous Five.

I agree with Jacky follow the paper trail back from the latest publisher.....kind of like doing genealogy.....
It's like an episode of Heir hunters as anyone seen that show I loved it when I was visiting in 09.
Good luck with the paper trail.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes you have a BIG journey ahead of you. Good luck with it all, what a nightmare!! Will you definitely go back home or do you think the bad times with your husband are just making it worse for you living in the USA?
No....I will definitely go home. My two beautiful kids in NYC back me all the way even though sadly, they like my husband. My OH is not a bad guy.......just financially incompetent and we are in serious debt. He is more influenced by his family of origin who do not care for me one bit.......wished he had married a Greek gal instead of a "white bred" as they call me which is why he spent Thanksgiving with them and not me.
Can't wait to have concrete plans. It will be a while to get it all together. We need to sell the house first as this a community property state and I paid off 50% when we purchased. Life can be soooooo complicated.
I just hope one day we can all have a "family reunion" in the UK and also with Rodney (ARE YOU LISTENING RODNEY?????)
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Milly Molly Mandy???
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Someone is messing up my evening if Doc Martin isn't on the TV.
I've seen nearly all of them on the YouTube anyway, including the Four Series.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is, I can't tell which is the latest publisher. I can find the same book with different publishers and I don't know if both are publishing it or if one supersedes the other.

Her name was Edith A. Browne, by the way. She wrote many books about architecture and geography. She was also in Who's Who. A very well educated and well traveled woman for her time. She was born, if I remember correctly, in 1874 and published books between approximately 1910 and 1940 or later. She died around 1968.

I even found one of her books on Google reader which makes me wonder about the copyright on that particular book. If it is "free" to read, then that conflicts with the copyright law that I found. So confusing - and so expensive to get a UK copyright lawyer.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
No....I will definitely go home. My two beautiful kids in NYC back me all the way even though sadly, they like my husband. My OH is not a bad guy.......just financially incompetent and we are in serious debt. He is more influenced by his family of origin who do not care for me one bit.......wished he had married a Greek gal instead of a "white bred" as they call me which is why he spent Thanksgiving with them and not me.
Can't wait to have concrete plans. It will be a while to get it all together. We need to sell the house first as this a community property state and I paid off 50% when we purchased. Life can be soooooo complicated.
I just hope one day we can all have a "family reunion" in the UK and also with Rodney (ARE YOU LISTENING RODNEY?????)
Hello Celtic! Rod and I have extensively spoken to each other, and we will meet, as soon as I am back home, and sorted, in Shropshire -. So, if any others wish to, we can ultimately, make it a regular meeting place for friends, off here. I am sure we all share a common bond, of total friendship. Bless you all ----dontheturner (Back in February, if i don't fall off my perch)
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you who are selling your homes I think there is a buying boom on. A lot of formerly empty homes in our neighborhood have been moved into after being empty for years and a relative is closing on her home in Virginia and now has to find another home to buy.These are some of the homes I know about and there are many other homes changing hands, so chin up!
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Celtic! Rod and I have extensively spoken to each other, and we will meet, as soon as I am back home, and sorted, in Shropshire -. So, if any others wish to, we can ultimately, make it a regular meeting place for friends, off here. I am sure we all share a common bond, of total friendship. Bless you all ----dontheturner (Back in February, if i don't fall off my perch)
Lovely, Don!!! How wonderful to meet up. I think someone on one of these threads mentioned some sort of "re-adapt to the UK" forum. I think that's a great idea, too!
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

So Rodney isn't talking to us........but only to Don....

Hey Don look at these cars on this website

http://bccars.dyndns.org/view/view.shtml

it will give you an idea about prices and you need one in 8 weeks----

Cheers!

Last edited by cheers; Nov 28th 2010 at 1:44 am.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:59 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's like an episode of Heir hunters as anyone seen that show I loved it when I was visiting in 09.
Good luck with the paper trail.
Oh I just love that show too!!! I get right into it.....I like things like that, I think I would be good at a researchers job but don't have any qualifications.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 2:01 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
For those of you who are selling your homes I think there is a buying boom on. A lot of formerly empty homes in our neighborhood have been moved into after being empty for years and a relative is closing on her home in Virginia and now has to find another home to buy.These are some of the homes I know about and there are many other homes changing hands, so chin up!
Oh that is good news for all you trying to sell homes in the USA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.