Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I think he left the UK when he was 19, emigrated to Australia first and now he is 65 so that makes 46 years, not quite as many as you Cheers..........just how long it it since you left the UK?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrRtYzb-vwE
I left on the RMS Saxonia out of Liverpool December 1955.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rodneys plane pretty much left Gatwick on time (21minutes late).

His plane is approaching Greenland when I just looked. Remember this is the 747-400 that is coming to pick him up. He should be able to leave on time from Las Vegas.

If you want to you can track his plane on line.

See.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/VIR43

He doesn't leave Las Vegas until late this afternoon.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey Don have heard from Rodney in the last few hours?

I was thinking about your TV background and I wanted to tell you that when we got our first TV in early 1950's my Dad did a lot of research and he decided that the best one out there was a Baird. Do you remember that brand? I just googled and found out he was Scotish.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
They have had 7 centimetres in Manchester last night and more to come, London is suppose to get snow today. One of the things I worry about is that here in the UK we are not used to this type of cold weather, where as in Canada the airports are always ready for this. My question is, do they know how to prepare the planes properly in regards to de-icing the plane Yesterday, I was cold the whole day at work, wanted to get out my hot water bottle and put it at my feet
It looks like they are better equipped this year. I found this on the BAA site.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/

I hope it was a little warmer at work for you today ED.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Pity I won't see you at Purley! I expect to be on my way to Frome tomorrow morning. leaving Purley at about 9:30am, so we shall probably pass on the platform. Safe trip. It has snowed about 4 inches so far today, and more looks to be on the way. I will slip and slide down the hill to the station, and fingers crossed for a smooth journey from there - trains all the way.
Could you make sure they sweep and grit the platform for us at Purley so we don't slip and slide and brake something. We will be the ones with tons of luggage.
Have a wonderful time in Somerset. Should be very beautiful scenery with all the snow. Lots of photo ops. for you.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheers
Hey Don have heard from Rodney in the last few hours?

I was thinking about your TV background and I wanted to tell you that when we got our first TV in early 1950's my Dad did a lot of research and he decided that the best one out there was a Baird. Do you remember that brand? I just googled and found out he was Scotish.
Our first TV was a Ferguson, I remember being impressed in the 60's with our coin pay to view telly, I think we could listen to the Light Programme (radio) as well on the TV. My Nan had a huge Radiogram, a sideboard sized record player cum radio that played 78's. They would all be museum pieces now but state of the art then
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Could you make sure they sweep and grit the platform for us at Purley so we don't slip and slide and brake something. We will be the ones with tons of luggage.
Have a wonderful time in Somerset. Should be very beautiful scenery with all the snow. Lots of photo ops. for you.
Hi High Tide and good luck on your journey home, hopefully the worst of the weather will be behind us then.
Ed you were saying you were even cold in work, I agree with you, I have found the coldness here so different from Canada. My OH an myself always wrapped up and went for a walk last year, but this year my OH is really feeling the cold, I think the difference is Canada is so dry, while there is still
the dampness here, that just seems to go to the bones. It will probably take people who have been away from the UK a few winters to acclimatise. When I returned to Canada after a long absence, my lips and skin were so dry for a long time.
Looking forward to hearing from everyone once they have settled back, to see how they are getting on. All the best Denise
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodneys plane pretty much left Gatwick on time (21minutes late).

His plane is approaching Greenland when I just looked. Remember this is the 747-400 that is coming to pick him up. He should be able to leave on time from Las Vegas.

If you want to you can track his plane on line.

See.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/VIR43

He doesn't leave Las Vegas until late this afternoon.

Ok so we have flight info... But does anyone know his seat number, the captains name and the name of the people serving him???
Hahahhaaaaaaaa...
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:23 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Ok so we have flight info... But does anyone know his seat number, the captains name and the name of the people serving him???
Hahahhaaaaaaaa...
Trotty should know. Didn't she go along with him?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:53 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi High Tide and good luck on your journey home, hopefully the worst of the weather will be behind us then.
Ed you were saying you were even cold in work, I agree with you, I have found the coldness here so different from Canada. My OH an myself always wrapped up and went for a walk last year, but this year my OH is really feeling the cold, I think the difference is Canada is so dry, while there is still
the dampness here, that just seems to go to the bones. It will probably take people who have been away from the UK a few winters to acclimatise. When I returned to Canada after a long absence, my lips and skin were so dry for a long time.
Looking forward to hearing from everyone once they have settled back, to see how they are getting on. All the best Denise
I would have -30C in Canada over -1C in Scotland any day. Scottish weather chills right to the bones right enough (that and nobody really dresses appropriately )
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
I would have -30C in Canada over -1C in Scotland any day. Scottish weather chills right to the bones right enough (that and nobody really dresses appropriately )
How true regarding dressing appropiately, but my hubby brought a down filled 3/4 parka coat and -30 degree boots home with him, and he said they do not seem to be as cosy as they were in Canada. Also when we were in Canada, I always had my bedroom window open even in the winter(froze open a couple of times poor OH was frozen but I hate a warm bedroom) never bothered me in Canada, but last night I was so cold, I needed socks on my feet (window was closed by the way) and I wore a hoody over my PJ's until I warmed up I never had to do that in Canada. I don't think the houses in the UK are as well insulated as North America, but they are getting better, and they are running a warm home scheme, where the government send people out to check you loft, and check if your homes need cavity foam insulation, and they are giving all this free to houses that need them. I hear so much negatives about the UK, but we are very lucky in many ways, I know I will be looked after here in my old age, I would be afraid to get old and frail in Canada but mostly the USA, I don't know what Australia is like if you get old and sick. So I for one am still happy and content to be with my own people, it is home
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

OK here is the flight status report listing for Rodneys flight. We will have to check about 7 am Mountain time, tomorrow, to see if it left Gatwick on time.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us...atus/index.jsp
Flight number VS 044
Departure date 30 Nov 2010
Route Las Vegas (LAS) to London (LGW)
Scheduled departure time 30 Nov 16:35
Scheduled arrival time 01 Dec 10:35

This is all it says on the Virgin website. So I am assuming Rodney's flight took off OK?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

No, no, no---it is 12:52 right now local time and the flight hasn't landed yet from London. The flight for Rodney leaves in about 3 hours and 45 minutes.
I'll keep you posted. This is more exciting than the Royal Wedding

Cheers
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

I forgot to tell Rodney to use his US passport when he leaves the US but when he gets to Gatwick he uses his UK passport. I hope he remembers.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:09 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
How true regarding dressing appropiately, but my hubby brought a down filled 3/4 parka coat and -30 degree boots home with him, and he said they do not seem to be as cosy as they were in Canada. Also when we were in Canada, I always had my bedroom window open even in the winter(froze open a couple of times poor OH was frozen but I hate a warm bedroom) never bothered me in Canada, but last night I was so cold, I needed socks on my feet (window was closed by the way) and I wore a hoody over my PJ's until I warmed up I never had to do that in Canada. I don't think the houses in the UK are as well insulated as North America, but they are getting better, and they are running a warm home scheme, where the government send people out to check you loft, and check if your homes need cavity foam insulation, and they are giving all this free to houses that need them. I hear so much negatives about the UK, but we are very lucky in many ways, I know I will be looked after here in my old age, I would be afraid to get old and frail in Canada but mostly the USA, I don't know what Australia is like if you get old and sick. So I for one am still happy and content to be with my own people, it is home
When I was in the UK last I didn't find it as cold as I expected so this year must be really bad!!

As almost everybody has centrally heated homes and the shops and even the buses are heated it was OK, sure it was cold if you went outside, but I have a big coat and boots and gloves and a scarf and so on, and yes I did notice that a lot of people don't dress for the winter season, mainly the young ones, mind you I remember doing that myself, not wearing a big coat in case it spoilt your outfit LOL!! Nowadays that's the least of my worries.

I have heard about the cavity wall insulation for free and I do know that pensioners get a heating allowance each year of about £400 and also saw that because of the freezing weather they are going to get more for each day the temperature went below a certain degree or something??

Well Denise here in Australia obviously we don't need heating allowances but some days in the summer are unbearably hot and there is no provision as far as I know for giving an air conditioning allowance to older people. They do get a rebate off electric bills and such things as car registration and travel. And free prescriptions (I think or at least discounted) but nothing like the elderly get in the UK.

Also there is no or very little housing for the elderly, I have mentioned on another thread that my daughter's friend's dad is in his 80's and he has had to resort to living in a caravan as this is the best he can do on his pension. It's freezing in winter and overheated in summer.........

So yes I do think the UK looks after it's elderly a lot more, unfortunately the people living there are often unappreciative of what they have.

I shall remind them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.