Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Was thinking of you and this email in the we hours this morning for some reason....so sad, your situation, and my heart goes out to you.

Re the "white bred" comment, I don't know if this is a typo--so easily done-- or influence from your experience with dog shows and breeding!!!! (sorry, this is gentle joke, hope not offending)--
--but I think the expression is "white bread," used to describe people and neighborhoods etc that are predominantly white Anglo-Saxon type, used by people of all backgrounds, including those very white AngloSaxon types sometimes, who wish for a bit more diversity...

...you will know this, but I thought others who may not have heard the expression might appreciate the clarification....

But anyway, it is such a shame if the family doesn't like you, and calls you "white bread" insultingly.....(tho it isn't always used insultingly, I don't think) ....that must add to your sense of alienation...

Sad indeed...so gald you feel you can talk to us on here about it.

Tina
Tina,
You just taught me something. I had never seen the words written before and presumed that they referred to the colour of my skin (very pale) as opposed to the Mediterranean olive skin of the Greeks. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I actually think the term "white bread" is quite funny now!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dontheturner;9009293]
Originally Posted by MNandMN

I DIDN'T SAY DON'T TAKE ADVICE DID I? - and I did not say, I do not listen to others, either, DID I?

DO NOT BE SO RUDE

I THINK I DID SAY BE AWAre OF WHAT YOU ARE BUYING.

Perhaps everyone should ask you, before purchasing?
Please don't shout.....we try to be kind on this list......
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:36 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Tina,
You just taught me something. I had never seen the words written before and presumed that they referred to the colour of my skin (very pale) as opposed to the Mediterranean olive skin of the Greeks. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I actually think the term "white bread" is quite funny now!
Another one sometimes used is the term Cracker, (as in we are white like a saltine cracker)
I think his family are being extremely rude and trying to be hurtful using derogatory names, they know exactly what they are saying and use the term anyway. If you were black would they be calling you the N word?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes.....a meet up is a must. I do believe we all belonged in one big family in another lifetime because I felt I belonged here from the very first post. After 38 years in the USA and now planning my return to the UK....I already have made more friends here than in my 38 years in this country.
Celitc - I can identify with that statement!! I am in the USA also and I have more "true and more sincere" friendships with the people from the UK I talk to on Friends Reunited. They are those I went to college with and haven't seen in almost 35 years.

I even feel, like you, I have more worthwhile friends here on this forum than I have in person in the USA - and I have only been a member two days! People here have helped me enormously already!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I appreciate those who have posted from the other side and are home now
because we could start another list called "After the novelty wears off"

Do we fully realize how fortunate and blessed we are because when I read on another forum the loops and expense that Americans go through to emigrate to the UK and then having all the tests and more money to become citizens of the UK. Do you know how hard it is to even get a visa even if your spouse is British? Wow! Now they are going to limit the number of imagrants coming in.

Something I read and I'm all for (politics) is a campaign for the UK to leave the EU. Can't be soon enough for me and a couple of million other people.
You know, when I was at university I wholeheartedly believed in the EU - and still do to a certain extent. I haven't really kept up with the issue but I have been told that when Thatcher was in office things got really bad over there and now the Euro is causing all sorts of problems for Britain, even though they kept their own currency. I am witnessing what is happening in the USA because jobs have been shipped overseas to much lower paying nations - it's not nice. I hear that is happening in Britain as well. I am wondering myself if Britain would not be better pulling out. I don't really know enough about how it has been affected to make a firm decision (yet).
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
I appreciate those who have posted from the other side and are home now
because we could start another list called "After the novelty wears off"

Do we fully realize how fortunate and blessed we are because when I read on another forum the loops and expense that Americans go through to emigrate to the UK and then having all the tests and more money to become citizens of the UK. Do you know how hard it is to even get a visa even if your spouse is British? Wow! Now they are going to limit the number of imagrants coming in.

Something I read and I'm all for (politics) is a campaign for the UK to leave the EU. Can't be soon enough for me and a couple of million other people.
I think we should all move back to the same locale and set up some sort of repatriots "commune" lol!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Tina,
Well, I think you were right in that it does refer to the colour of the skin--like white bread--and yes, it is often used in a derogatory way, as Mummy says. But I've also heard it used by (liberal, non-prejudiced) white people about other white people, complaining that a neighborhood is too "white bread," when they would prefer a more diverse population!

So yes, it's usually negative, with a range of intensity, but on the milder side, I think--not as offensive as "cracker" which I think also implies ignorance etc, nor as the N word.

Anyway, I thought you'd like to know it's not about breeding or how you are "bred."

Tina
Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Tanto;9008199]
Originally Posted by HighTide
I bet Rodney is so busy doing last minute running around. Also sometimes it is not so easy to stay in touch when you are staying with friends. Looks like we might be leaving on the 30th. also. Now have 71 boxes packed and staying with friends. Had to delay our flight a few days as there was so much still to do at this end. Our quote for shipping 71 boxes, 3 chairs and an antique games table (backgammon/chess) was $3100. We will have 1/2 of a 20 ft container but will not be shipping until we have found a property in the UK.[/QUOTE

Hello David,
Have been wondering how you've been doing - much too quiet!
Would love more details on the shipping - will your boxes,etc. stay in storage with the shipping company? Are you on the west coast of Canada (can't remember)?
Have a comfortable flight - bon voyage and please find a lovely B and B for the returning ex-pats!!
Tanto
Hi Tanto,
What we are doing is leaving our boxes in Vancouver at a friend's house until we find a place in the UK. We have quite a few properties to view and if we are successful in finding a place we will come back to Canada for a couple of weeks (most likely early in the New Year) and make final moving arrangements. The shipping company will pick up all boxes and wrap some chairs and a table and deliver it to Devon or wherever we end up over there. Luckily I am a retired airline employee and have good travel benefits.
Will try our very best to find a nice property for an Ex-pat reunion.
I will also try to post more often and keep everyone updated on different areas we look at.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I hope you are right David and he is OK. Do you mean the 30th of November!!!!

71 boxes!!!

What will happen to your stuff, does it stay in storage over there until you have found somewhere? Have you narrowed down your search any or are you going to drive around and get a feel for the place. Will you be taking bookings from BE subscribers? Hey we could have the reunion at your B and B, make sure to get one with a large dining room, a nice cosy bar and lovely rooms.
Yes that's right. We are leaving everything in storage at a friend's house until we have found something. Luckily she has a very large storage room. We are also staying here until we leave. It feels very much like home as we have our sectional couch, TV and coffee table in the downstairs suite we are in. It has really helped in everything going so smoothly so far.

We are definitely centering our search in the West country and have a few places to check out there. We really have not ruled out other areas and will consider going further afield when we get over there. I do hope the weather cooperates. We very much hope to have a nice little place where we could have a BE subscribers reunion. That would be so much fun.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello everyone,
I have not been able to get on line for almost a week cause now Im at my friends house living for my last week in US and its difficult cause his computor is in his room, so very hard for me to access our thread and talk to all my friends on here,
So Im off on plane in a couple of days on Tuesday flight leaves for Gatwick 4.30pm 30th,
So Im very excited/nervous but all bags packed and Im good to go, when I get to England I will be checking in with ya all after a couple of days when I get a little settled with my Mum,
Until then all my friends on here, ------ fight the good fight, and NEVER let go of your dreams, ---- and one day that special wonderful day will arrive when we will all be over there in UK --- and we will have that reunion and we will all meet. ---- WOW what a wonderful day that will be Huh !!!!
Take care everyone.
I will post again when I get to England,
(CHEERIO) for now,
Rodney.
Hey Rodney,

Just 2 more sleeps in the US Have a great flight and sweet talk those flight attendants into giving you extra Rums !! The earliest we will leave is Wednesday but I think it is more likely to be Thursday. Should know by tomorrow for sure.
Take care and enjoy the entire experience. Hope it's a clear day for your arrival so that you can enjoy the beautiful countryside from the air.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by windsong
I think we should all move back to the same locale and set up some sort of repatriots "commune" lol!
I think that's a great idea, Windsong! I've been fretting for months about where to live in the UK - my friends are scattered all around the globe and my 'family' is pretty clueless about repatriation (is that the correct word). I have some contacts, and areas, I'll have to check out, however......and a dentist in Guildford! Gosh, a commune, what locale did you have in mind?
Tanto
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

[QUOTE=HighTide;9009619]
Originally Posted by Tanto

Hi Tanto,
What we are doing is leaving our boxes in Vancouver at a friend's house until we find a place in the UK. We have quite a few properties to view and if we are successful in finding a place we will come back to Canada for a couple of weeks (most likely early in the New Year) and make final moving arrangements. The shipping company will pick up all boxes and wrap some chairs and a table and deliver it to Devon or wherever we end up over there. Luckily I am a retired airline employee and have good travel benefits.
Will try our very best to find a nice property for an Ex-pat reunion.
I will also try to post more often and keep everyone updated on different areas we look at.
Hi David,
That's a good arrangement and a good friend! So, the shipping company does everything - door to door, by sea? You mentioned good travel benefits and I had the thought that your boxes, etc, might be going by air freight (I'm a bit slow tonight)...........
So, again, bon voyage and happy house hunting!!!
Tanto
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:23 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Yes that's right. We are leaving everything in storage at a friend's house until we have found something. Luckily she has a very large storage room. We are also staying here until we leave. It feels very much like home as we have our sectional couch, TV and coffee table in the downstairs suite we are in. It has really helped in everything going so smoothly so far.

We are definitely centering our search in the West country and have a few places to check out there. We really have not ruled out other areas and will consider going further afield when we get over there. I do hope the weather cooperates. We very much hope to have a nice little place where we could have a BE subscribers reunion. That would be so much fun.
I sincerely hope you find just the right place for your B and B, wouldn't it be good if we could all meet up maybe next year sometime, I am sure our house sellers on here will have sold their houses by then......

Yes it is lovely down south and a bit warmer than oop North, mind you in saying that looking at the temperatures these past few days a few degrees under here or there won't make any difference.........bbrrrrr.....don't forget your winter woolies...
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:35 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

SNOW WARNING ON BA WEBSITE

Snow warning for the UK

Summary
Snow is causing flight disruption in the UK

More information
Last updated : Monday 29Nov 08:00
There is a risk of snow in many parts of the UK over the next few days, including the south-east area, around London Heathrow.

Currently services to and from northern England and Scottish airports are distrupted or cancelled due to snow conditions.

Please check the status of your flight and allow plenty of time to travel to the airport
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello everyone,
I have not been able to get on line for almost a week cause now Im at my friends house living for my last week in US and its difficult cause his computor is in his room, so very hard for me to access our thread and talk to all my friends on here,
So Im off on plane in a couple of days on Tuesday flight leaves for Gatwick 4.30pm 30th,
So Im very excited/nervous but all bags packed and Im good to go, when I get to England I will be checking in with ya all after a couple of days when I get a little settled with my Mum,
Until then all my friends on here, ------ fight the good fight, and NEVER let go of your dreams, ---- and one day that special wonderful day will arrive when we will all be over there in UK --- and we will have that reunion and we will all meet. ---- WOW what a wonderful day that will be Huh !!!!
Take care everyone.
I will post again when I get to England,
(CHEERIO) for now,
Rodney.
Hi Rodney, I am on holiday in the UAE at the moment, but have been watching the days spin past and now its almost time for you. How time has flown since your earlier posts! I wish you a comfortable journey, and joyous reunion with your family, and a speedy adjustment to your new and exciting life.
How long you have waited for this. Enjoy the moment, from Wawa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.