Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:36 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

A pic for Cheers - is this how it was when you left??
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-dscf2701.jpg  
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:41 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

A pic for Windsong, not very clear but it was SOO hard to get a pic as they darted all over the place!!
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-dscf2992.jpg  
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
A pic for Windsong, not very clear but it was SOO hard to get a pic as they darted all over the place!!
Sorry, Barb,But you are welcome too, if you are as beautiful! - Well, when my Wife met me, on the internet, she said I was a 'good looking man'

And I don't want you crying, you can have pasties from Greggs if you wish - they are hot too, And there is a bench very close by. don
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Ed.
I'm Impressed, 1.2 Million is a real Biz, I do feel for you being ripped off like that, some people are SCUM, there are so many scammers around and they are pretty smart, I just wish them the worst luck in the world, cos thats all they deserve, Its one thing to earn money, its another to hang on to it. huhhhhh... still you hold your head up high and move on, Good for you.
Now it seems great that you finished up in the healthcare industry... Wonderful.

I'm not a fan of financial planners but Ive never had enough money to need one.

Partners in Biz, Id find that hard too, because sometimes I feel very strongly about something, maybe its a gut feeling, even so Id find it difficult to do something against my better judgement, you cant change that logic.

Wee Mac thats a great name, I have a feeling you will call him Mac for short, My Mum had a dog called Mac as a Child.

Horse riding, thats what I like to hear, someone thats living the dream, Good on yer, I hope it was Fun...

Best Wishes as always...
His official name is MacGregor, Mac or Wee Mac is my name for him. The horseback riding was wonderful, I had brought most of my riding gear with me, except my helmut, which of course was very bulky but one day I was in one of my favourite charity shops and low and behold there was an almost brand new riding hat in just my size, bought it for £3. There is something about riding a horse in the UK that is so much different than back in Canada. We went down a long country lane with the trees meeting in the middle, sun shinning through the trees and frost in the air. The click clack of their shoes on the hard pavement as we winded our way through the village was almost dream like. Although I only trotted for a little while and walked most of the time, the freedom of just the pure enjoyment of that particular moment in time, it was almost like being transported back in time, to when things were much simpler and life has not yet tarnished your thinking.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:00 am
Home Sweet Home

A pic of how SOME of young ones go shopping on a Saturday afternoon, or maybe this is just a Liverpool thing???

Also once or twice I did see young ones shopping in their pyjamas!!
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-dscf3054.jpg  

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 6th 2010 at 11:05 am.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Just to cheer you up, Here is a shot of me with My Thai Wife, Tippawan (Tim) , love Don
What a lovely photo, Don! Tim is lovely!!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
Hi Windsong, I expect you receive the US SS / pension income in full , not taxed at source - and are obligated to report it as taxable income above your personal allowance. Will post more when we start to receive US SS / pension, we not yet made our first UK / USC abroad filings,

Resident in UK, you would report any taxable amount to HMRC and then file it also to IRS claiming credit for foreign taxes paid.
A useful strategy seems to file extension for US then can file UK first and then make any foreign claims on the extended US filing.

But if it not above Personal Allowance there is zero to report and zero tax taken - I hope that is the case
JJ - When I move to the UK, for how long do I have to keep filing US taxes? I'd like to forget I ever heard of the USA in that respect. I doubt I will ever get rid of the USA, though, because most of my income will come from here

Last edited by windsong; Dec 6th 2010 at 11:47 am.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

He's lovely!! Big and fat lol! That's how the red squirrels are here at the moment. But it's because they have their thick coat on for the winter
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Wind, you really need to get into reading the back posts on here, Anna (AES) was on the very first page here, she is English and has gone from living in the USA to Malta via the UK.

You will most likely find answers to your questions and worries too, never mind reading books, start from TT's post one and we will see you in about a week.
Are you suggesting I not post for a week No way! I would miss everyone

I have been looking through all the posts - so many to get through. You can see I commented on some old posts yesterday.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Should we get this sorted before we leave or wait until then. I have no idea what my NI number is.
Not sure if anyone responded (can't keep up!), but I recommend you wait until you get here. It will be relatively straightforward to get NHS treatment as long as you have some evidence that you are truly relocating/resident (just in case).

From experience, trying to sort a lot of this sort of stuff out from 1,000's of miles away is an exercise in futility - too many jobsworths at the other end of the phone.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
JJ - When I move to the UK, for how long do I have to keep filing US taxes? I'd like to forget I ever heard of the USA in that respect. I doubt I will ever get rid of the USA, though, because most of my income will come from here
If you are a USC, then you have to file every year, forever. If you are an LPR, I think you have to file for a period of 5 years, or something like that.

FYI, pensioners in the UK have a larger tax-free allowance (check the Inland Revenue site for details) - not sure what age it kicks in, but may be 65, I think. However, on the income you said you would get in your other posts, I am pretty sure you will get taxed.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:38 pm
Ping-ponger

A pic of how SOME of young ones go shopping on a Saturday afternoon, or maybe this is just a Liverpool thing???

Also once or twice I did see young ones shopping in their pyjamas!!
You obviously haven't seen the horror show Web site of "People of Wal-Mart":

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

- nothing in the UK can compare with these folks (though there may be something similar in Oz?)
Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

hello everyone,
well here i am in england,
you probably heard of the big freeze in uk well my plane couldn't land at gatwick on wednesday and diverted to heathrow, luckily my daughter was there to pick me up, we drove to Portsmouth and home with my Mum, oh it was so lovely to see the smile on my mums face when she saw me at her door,we hugged, daughter stayed for while we allhad a nice cup of tea and a chat, she took off after a while,
The first 3 days we were snowed in heavy snow and bad ice on all the roads and sidewalks, on Saturday we got out drove to the Lloyd's bank Iopened up a current account, no problem at all, just asked for ID I showed British passport and they did need my address here of course and my last address in the US and also if I still had a bank account in US and how much approximately in the account, not much im afraid
well im at the library now and using there computer, easy to join --- thanks Don your allowed sessions up to an hour each time,
Yes Rosie is right just like London --- Portsmouth is quite cold, but at least the snow has cleared now, lots of seagulls flying around i love it,
And well all I can say after only being back home for 5 days is I love being home, its great here, people are really friendly and helpful,
Tonight I am cooking dinner for me and Mum, --- sausages and mash with peas, shes been doing all the cooking so far so i need to give her a break,
well just a quick check in for now, hope everyone is ok and fine, thinking of you all, dont have enough time on the computer to read any posts sorry,
will check back in in a couple of days, take care ya all,
Rodney.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:47 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by jasper123
hello everyone,
well here i am in england,
you probably heard of the big freeze in uk well my plane couldn't land at gatwick on wednesday and diverted to heathrow, luckily my daughter was there to pick me up, we drove to Portsmouth and home with my Mum, oh it was so lovely to see the smile on my mums face when she saw me at her door,we hugged, daughter stayed for while we allhad a nice cup of tea and a chat, she took off after a while,
The first 3 days we were snowed in heavy snow and bad ice on all the roads and sidewalks, on Saturday we got out drove to the Lloyd's bank Iopened up a current account, no problem at all, just asked for ID I showed British passport and they did need my address here of course and my last address in the US and also if I still had a bank account in US and how much approximately in the account, not much im afraid
well im at the library now and using there computer, easy to join --- thanks Don your allowed sessions up to an hour each time,
Yes Rosie is right just like London --- Portsmouth is quite cold, but at least the snow has cleared now, lots of seagulls flying around i love it,
And well all I can say after only being back home for 5 days is I love being home, its great here, people are really friendly and helpful,
Tonight I am cooking dinner for me and Mum, --- sausages and mash with peas, shes been doing all the cooking so far so i need to give her a break,
well just a quick check in for now, hope everyone is ok and fine, thinking of you all, dont have enough time on the computer to read any posts sorry,
will check back in in a couple of days, take care ya all,
Rodney.
Hey Rodney, welcome back! Did you have to bring all this weather with you?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Just to cheer you up, Here is a shot of me with My Thai Wife, Tippawan (Tim) , love Don
Don,your wife is beautiful

Thanks for sharing .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.