Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
take a chance..lol. The only thing I have going for me is my mom and dad, but I guess thats more than you have, so at least I will have a roof over my head, but as far as a job goes etc....only time will tell..
Jackie
I would love to but I have to make sure I have the money to get their first and at least have a little money to get started. Once I get a job right here, I can make better plans, I think.

My heart wants to fly over tomorrow but I can't. I have to plan for my pets - the six-month period and the QM2.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:40 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
OMG! I had forgotten school dinner turnip. BLECH. And for dessert they used to give us gooseberry crumble. I'm sorry but there's no way that should have been fed to humans.

Food has changed so much in the UK. That's one thing that will really surprise returnees. Not just the stuff you can buy in the grocery stores, but the quality and variety of the restaurants, with food from all over the world.

I was 18 before I saw a pizza and I remember when a KFC opened about 10 miles from our house when I was 16. The whole family used to pile in the car to go there for a treat. We thought it was so exotic! Now the village where I grew up has a delicious Indian and Chinese take-out as well as the old standby, fish and chips. And pub food is just a revelation. We were spoiled for choice with all the vegetarian options and they were incredibly tasty and well-cooked. They must have opened tons of chef schools since I left because Brits didn't used to cook like that.
I remember when the National Milk bar was closed and re opened as KFC near us, we tried it once and thought it was really gross and cost too much so we never went there again.
Pizza too was on our avoid list as it was horrible. I must say though the food in UK has improved 100% over the years.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I would love to but I have to make sure I have the money to get their first and at least have a little money to get started. Once I get a job right here, I can make better plans, I think.

My heart wants to fly over tomorrow but I can't. I have to plan for my pets - the six-month period and the QM2.
I understand, I was just jokeing I know there is a lot to plan, and it all takes time. You will get there one day..
Jackie
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

I understand, I was just jokeing I know there is a lot to plan, and it all takes time. You will get there one day..
Jackie
Mummy - First thing to do for you in the UK? Find 'GREGGS' in any large town, Pop in as soon as they open, at 9am, ( Mind you don't get injured in the crush) and get two Sausage rolls - red hot they are. Stand there, and devour them.. Fantastic! One will get your attention , two will satisfy you for an hour or two of shopping.

Alternatively, come to Wellington Shropshire, When I am back and meet up with Rodney, and I will treat you. dontheturner
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Rodney back in Las Vegas?

Me the trouble maker
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Have you started the process for your pets? Mine are having a three year rabies tomorrow........they are already microchipped. I may even bring more progeny eventually, but it is a lot easier for me as I have many breeder/judge friends all over the world who will hold my dogs until it is legal for me to bring them in and then I will bring them over. I would like to keep my bloodlines going for a few more years. I have a male in Limavady in Northern Ireland. He was the # 1 longcoat in the UK in 2007. Dog people would not understand. I have never owned more than five dogs at one time.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Isn't Rodney back in Las Vegas?

Me the trouble maker
Rodney flew to the UK for good just a few days ago, at least I am pretty sure it was for good.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Jackie
That's right, Jackie. I have to be responsible about the move if only for my beloved pets.

Two to four years seems far away but I only need to look back at how quickly the last four years have gone by and I know it's not long at all, not when I have been here 30+ years.

Believe me, I will get there as soon as I possible can.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Have you started the process for your pets? Mine are having a three year rabies tomorrow........they are already microchipped. I may even bring more progeny eventually, but it is a lot easier for me as I have many breeder/judge friends all over the world who will hold my dogs until it is legal for me to bring them in and then I will bring them over. I would like to keep my bloodlines going for a few more years. I have a male in Limavady in Northern Ireland. He was the # 1 longcoat in the UK in 2007. Dog people would not understand. I have never owned more than five dogs at one time.

No, Celtic. I just joined the forum and learned about all this a few days ago. I am also unemployed so the very first thing I have to do is find a job - and I have been looking.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading a post on another forum about Immigration Officers and the poster said she had had problems with Canadian IO's and Canadians in general when she had met them. She also said she would never go to Canada for that reason.
The post surprised me because I think of the Canadians as very harmless people and then I remembered a song called "Blame Canada" and I found them on YouTube. Here is one sung by Robin Williams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjoNucs20Vw

I love it!

and this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnuoGOo3Bew

now don't forget to say your prayers before you go to bed. happy dreams

Cheers

Pray for Windsong and her new job!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

No, Celtic. I just joined the forum and learned about all this a few days ago. I am also unemployed so the very first thing I have to do is find a job - and I have been looking.
So sorry - but I understand. However if you think you will be traveling within three years, you will have all of the work done for your beloved pets. So when you're ready, they will also be ready )
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Rule Britannia,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH-cQ...eature=related

This reminds me that my favorite artist is Constable. I love his scenes. He has seen the same things in Britain as I have. I love them

Off the subject but do they still have Huntley and Palmer biscuits?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Wow - I know Limavady - I didn't live too far from there - I was there last summer visiting a friend. I'm not a dog owner, although I love all animals (I'm more of a cat person), but I like to watch the dog shows on television.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:50 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

That's right, Jackie. I have to be responsible about the move if only for my beloved pets.
My pets come first for me too, which is why we're not considering moving for a few years. Two of our 4 cats are chronically ill. They do OK with our love and care and their meds, but I can't see moving them and I could never leave them. They are family and if we go, they go.

And YES! There are still sheep and cows galore back home
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering - how Trotty's house showing went today, how Rodney's doing and when we're going to hear from him, how David (High Tide) and partner are getting on in England (in the snow - well they came from Canada so they are used to it), also Denise (DDL) and hubby, also haven't heard from Charley Girl for a while. Also Anna (AES) in Malta - last time she posted she was back in England but hoping to return to Malta.
Well I'm signing off for the night - we are supposed to get 10 inches of snow between tonight and rush-hour tomorrow, so I'm not looking forward to that! Hope I can get to work tomorrow. I hate winter!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.