Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
hello everyone,
well here i am in england,
you probably heard of the big freeze in uk well my plane couldn't land at gatwick on wednesday and diverted to heathrow, luckily my daughter was there to pick me up, we drove to Portsmouth and home with my Mum, oh it was so lovely to see the smile on my mums face when she saw me at her door,we hugged, daughter stayed for while we allhad a nice cup of tea and a chat, she took off after a while,
The first 3 days we were snowed in heavy snow and bad ice on all the roads and sidewalks, on Saturday we got out drove to the Lloyd's bank Iopened up a current account, no problem at all, just asked for ID I showed British passport and they did need my address here of course and my last address in the US and also if I still had a bank account in US and how much approximately in the account, not much im afraid
well im at the library now and using there computer, easy to join --- thanks Don your allowed sessions up to an hour each time,
Yes Rosie is right just like London --- Portsmouth is quite cold, but at least the snow has cleared now, lots of seagulls flying around i love it,
And well all I can say after only being back home for 5 days is I love being home, its great here, people are really friendly and helpful,
Tonight I am cooking dinner for me and Mum, --- sausages and mash with peas, shes been doing all the cooking so far so i need to give her a break,
well just a quick check in for now, hope everyone is ok and fine, thinking of you all, dont have enough time on the computer to read any posts sorry,
will check back in in a couple of days, take care ya all,
Rodney.

WELCOME HOME
So pleased you are happy to be here even with the weather being so bad.

Chris
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

hello everyone,
you probably heard of the big freeze in uk well my plane couldn't land at gatwick on wednesday and diverted to heathrow, luckily my daughter was there to pick me up, we drove to Portsmouth and home with my Mum, oh it was so lovely to see the smile on my mums face when she saw me at her door,we hugged, daughter stayed for while we allhad a nice cup of tea and a chat, she took off after a while,
The first 3 days we were snowed in heavy snow and bad ice on all the roads and sidewalks, on Saturday we got out drove to the Lloyd's bank Iopened up a current account, no problem at all, just asked for ID I showed British passport and they did need my address here of course and my last address in the US and also if I still had a bank account in US and how much approximately in the account, not much im afraid
well im at the library now and using there computer, easy to join --- thanks Don your allowed sessions up to an hour each time,
Yes Rosie is right just like London --- Portsmouth is quite cold, but at least the snow has cleared now, lots of seagulls flying around i love it,
And well all I can say after only being back home for 5 days is I love being home, its great here, people are really friendly and helpful,
Tonight I am cooking dinner for me and Mum, --- sausages and mash with peas, shes been doing all the cooking so far so i need to give her a break,
well just a quick check in for now, hope everyone is ok and fine, thinking of you all, dont have enough time on the computer to read any posts sorry,
Rodney.
Awwwww Rodney, it is so good to know you are home safe and sound at your mum's and have all that worry behind you. We can't wait to hear all your adventures in getting there!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Just to cheer you up, Here is a shot of me with My Thai Wife, Tippawan (Tim) , love Don
Beautiful couple!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Great to hear you've arrived safely back home Rodney, enjoy every moment, you deserve it, looking forward to your posts once you're settled.

Sorry to hear that the house viewing was so disappointing TT, I have been around for a few of our viewings, our estate agents are useless and we have given them notice until the end of January. Still as has been said it only takes that one person who finds that your house ticks all their boxes. My son suggested we bury a statue of St Joseph as he is the patron saint of home sellers (don't ask! you can Google it, apparently it's an american thing). I did buy a little statue and he's in the kitchen, here's hoping he comes to our aid.

Lovely picture of Don and Tim, nice looking couple. Welcome to all the new posters, I'm new myself and now it's a daily fix to see how you are all getting on.

Some of you who haven't visited London for many years are in for some pleasant surprises. There is now the London Eye on the skyline by Westminster Bridge, it's great fun to take a ride in a pod, you can see for miles. The South Bank makes a great day out if you just want to stroll by the river, there is plenty of street entertainment, the same as old Covent Garden. Another thing I miss about our life in London is our visits to The Royal Opera House Covent Garden, if you are an opera fan tickets are very cheap on Mondays and sometimes in the summer you can see the opera free on big screens outside in the square. There are also Proms in the Park concerts too organised by the BBC. Pub fare is great, you can have a Thai curry, Indian, Irish, whatever takes your fancy. There is a great assortment of international food available in the supermarkets, olive oil is sometimes cheaper there than it is in Italy. When we first returned to the UK in 1977 the only place we could buy olive oil was in Boots the Chemists, now all kinds of things are available from Europe.

Christmas has always seemed extra special to me in England, there are so many holidays in Italy. People really go to town decorating their houses with lights now in the UK, that never used to happen when I grew up there.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

hello everyone,
Rodney.

Hello Rodney...

Its Great to hear from you.

I'm really suprised you made it to the Library so fast, you sound like a Happy Chap and good for you Pal, I'm sure glad you made it home OK, what a welcome, all that snow, so glad your Daughter found you at Heathrow, bet you were pleased...

Your Mum must been so happy to see you. I've got tears in my eyes, (soft sod).

Cant wait to hear more from you, bet you have plenty to say, be sure to read all the posts when you get a chance, especially the day you left here.

Got a bank account opened up already that's great...

Just so happy you could post here today...

Take Care and don't eat too much Porridge...
Best of Luck to you...
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Just to cheer you up, Here is a shot of me with My Thai Wife, Tippawan (Tim) , love Don
Tim is a very Pretty lady, you lucky devil you, bet she can't wait to go to Greggs.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
His official name is MacGregor, Mac or Wee Mac is my name for him. The horseback riding was wonderful, I had brought most of my riding gear with me, except my helmut, which of course was very bulky but one day I was in one of my favourite charity shops and low and behold there was an almost brand new riding hat in just my size, bought it for £3. There is something about riding a horse in the UK that is so much different than back in Canada. We went down a long country lane with the trees meeting in the middle, sun shinning through the trees and frost in the air. The click clack of their shoes on the hard pavement as we winded our way through the village was almost dream like. Although I only trotted for a little while and walked most of the time, the freedom of just the pure enjoyment of that particular moment in time, it was almost like being transported back in time, to when things were much simpler and life has not yet tarnished your thinking.

Hello Ed...
Loved this post, the description of riding was beautiful, I could picture it myself...

A riding hat for 3 quid, you seem to be a Great shopper.

"Tarnished your thinking" youve certainly got that right.

Best Wishes...
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you are a USC, then you have to file every year, forever.
Technicality here. You don't have to file if you don't make enough money to pay tax.

I should always include in my statements "I think"

Last edited by cheers; Dec 6th 2010 at 4:58 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Great reply to Peigi, I wondered if she was suing that so called Financial Advisor, God it makes you sick when you think of people just ripping others off with no conscience.
Barb, Id say that would be hard to do without money, and lawyers here cost $250 an hour, I once had a chance to sue, my lawyer thought I had a great case, she was very upfront and told me it could take 7 years or more with them dragging their feet, and still there was no guarantee I would win, she said it might be better to forget it and get on with life, thats what I chose to do, who needs all the stress, why waste your life, every day is precious.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wind, you really need to get into reading the back posts on here, Anna (AES) was on the very first page here, she is English and has gone from living in the USA to Malta via the UK.

You will most likely find answers to your questions and worries too, never mind reading books, start from TT's post one and we will see you in about a week.
I couldnt agree more.

Windsong, you are really missing out if you dont read from the first post, you will learn alot about the people on here, I know it takes time but I also know you will love it.

Best Read Ever!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Rodney I am glad that you have made it back safely, isn't the weather horrible. How lovely that your daughter was able to meet you at Heathrow and it brought tears to my eyes when you were describing your meeting with your mom. Have a wonderful Christmas old friend, take care and write again soon.

Went shopping this afternoon for a few groceries at Morrison, the selection of Christmas goodies was fantastic. I did indulge in a large bottle of Bailey's Hazelnut liquor, for $10.00, think I will have some for breakfast I have this love hate relationship with Christmas this and last year, I love the season but find myself bursting into tears at the stupidist times.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

A you in Scotland, is this true?

Quote:

More here today. It absolutely paralised the city, because it fell down quickly and heavily. All of the trains and busses were cancelled, and the motorway was pretty much shut down. It was seriously only like 3, maybe 4, inches of snow though. I guess since I'm from a part of the US that handles snow really well, I'm struggling a bit with snow not being dealt with very well here.

Fortunately some mystery train appeared out of nowhere and happened to be going my way, so it only took 3 and 1/2 hours to get home as opposed to never!

Posted today, Poster said they were in the 'burbs of Glasgow
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Another post today:

In case you missed it, the Chief Inspector's report on Manchester Airport is now on his site.

Even people in UK-Y were reporting that slipping through controls was a breeze, let's hope they get this nailed down.

For the moment, if you arrive in the UK and you find yourself outside the airport (any airport) without having a stamp in your passport, you're asking for trouble. So don't do it.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Barb, Id say that would be hard to do without money, and lawyers here cost $250 an hour, I once had a chance to sue, my lawyer thought I had a great case, she was very upfront and told me it could take 7 years or more with them dragging their feet, and still there was no guarantee I would win, she said it might be better to forget it and get on with life, thats what I chose to do, who needs all the stress, why waste your life, every day is precious.
There is a class action case going on, the only people who are going to get anything out of this is the lawyers. We were not the only people who got taken, there are many of us, from all over Canada, but many in the east. I have had to put this to the furthest part of my mind and hope that it will disolve away, unfortunately my husband is not able to do this.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
A you in Scotland, is this true?

Quote:

More here today. It absolutely paralised the city, because it fell down quickly and heavily. All of the trains and busses were cancelled, and the motorway was pretty much shut down. It was seriously only like 3, maybe 4, inches of snow though. I guess since I'm from a part of the US that handles snow really well, I'm struggling a bit with snow not being dealt with very well here.

Fortunately some mystery train appeared out of nowhere and happened to be going my way, so it only took 3 and 1/2 hours to get home as opposed to never!

Posted today, Poster said they were in the 'burbs of Glasgow
True, even the roads were closing down. It did snow here this afternoon, now freezing, very icy. Glasgow and Edinburgh Airports were closed this morning but not sure about now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.