Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
A pic for Cheers - is this how it was when you left??
Yes thats my kitchen. This is the outside of my home
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-img_0037.jpg  
Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by cheers
Technicality here. You don't have to file if you don't make enough money to pay tax.

I should always include in my statements "I think"
Hi Cheers,
I've never heard that before! Do you mean if you don't owe any taxes? I've always had very sporadic earnings (being in the entertainment industry), have always filed a tax return (what a hassle) and have never owed any taxes...........
Can anyone elaborate on this?
Thanks,
Tanto
Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Don thats a lovely picture of you and the Mrs..........

Beedubya....I know I have to make sure I hide the recorder well but at least I get a good idea of what the people think. The estate agent called today and said they are looking for a cheaper home. Considering they were supposed to have sold a place by Staten Island you would think they would not care about the price but the location of the new home. Today I just dont care I feel so sick I can hardly swallow so I am sipping on lemon juice and honey with brandy added. Didnt have any whisky. I also tried the remedy of shaking the salt seller onto the back of your throat. It works but have to be careful how much salt comes out. First time I got way too much salt had to spit it out.

Charleygirl....Were are you. Back in the UK..............

Rodney...I know you probably wont read this but it is nice to know he is aback home and happy even if he is cold.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:07 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Are you suggesting I not post for a week No way! I would miss everyone

I have been looking through all the posts - so many to get through. You can see I commented on some old posts yesterday.
What I did when I first joined is I would jot down a little note about most people so I could remember each little "story" of course there weren't so many people coming and going then.

I still have the notes

AES = Anna - USA - UK - Malta

Jasper123 = Rodney - USA to UK

EasternDawn = Peigi - Canada to Scotland

Trotty True = TT - NH, USA to UK

Fish and Chips = Philip - Canada to UK

And so on, it saves mix ups though they do still happen as we are not getting any younger!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 6th 2010 at 7:26 pm. Reason: Edited TT's real name :)
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:12 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You obviously haven't seen the horror show Web site of "People of Wal-Mart":

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

- nothing in the UK can compare with these folks (though there may be something similar in Oz?)
Oh yes we do get Chavs here (Bogans in Oz slang) but I had never seen anybody shop in rollers until last year, and I also went to Liverpool One, which is this big swishy posh part of Liverpool and there was a girl there with full make up on a la Jordan and she had a head full of rollers too, weird, never mind about shopping in pj's and slippers??? Maybe I am getting old after all!!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:14 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by jasper123
hello everyone,
well here i am in england,
you probably heard of the big freeze in uk well my plane couldn't land at gatwick on wednesday and diverted to heathrow, luckily my daughter was there to pick me up, we drove to Portsmouth and home with my Mum, oh it was so lovely to see the smile on my mums face when she saw me at her door,we hugged, daughter stayed for while we allhad a nice cup of tea and a chat, she took off after a while,
The first 3 days we were snowed in heavy snow and bad ice on all the roads and sidewalks, on Saturday we got out drove to the Lloyd's bank Iopened up a current account, no problem at all, just asked for ID I showed British passport and they did need my address here of course and my last address in the US and also if I still had a bank account in US and how much approximately in the account, not much im afraid
well im at the library now and using there computer, easy to join --- thanks Don your allowed sessions up to an hour each time,
Yes Rosie is right just like London --- Portsmouth is quite cold, but at least the snow has cleared now, lots of seagulls flying around i love it,
And well all I can say after only being back home for 5 days is I love being home, its great here, people are really friendly and helpful,
Tonight I am cooking dinner for me and Mum, --- sausages and mash with peas, shes been doing all the cooking so far so i need to give her a break,
well just a quick check in for now, hope everyone is ok and fine, thinking of you all, dont have enough time on the computer to read any posts sorry,
will check back in in a couple of days, take care ya all,
Rodney.
Rodney!!!

It's so good to hear from you and all is well. So touching to hear of your reunion with your mum, she must be soooo happy to spend some proper time with you after all these years.

Take care, you have LOTS of catching up to do on here, I think you will find some of it very funny especially when you were leaving the US.

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 6th 2010 at 7:20 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:19 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Barb, Id say that would be hard to do without money, and lawyers here cost $250 an hour, I once had a chance to sue, my lawyer thought I had a great case, she was very upfront and told me it could take 7 years or more with them dragging their feet, and still there was no guarantee I would win, she said it might be better to forget it and get on with life, thats what I chose to do, who needs all the stress, why waste your life, every day is precious.
Totally agree!! No more stress for us returnees, it's going to be plain sailing from now on in.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:20 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh yes we do get Chavs here (Bogans in Oz slang) but I had never seen anybody shop in rollers until last year, and I also went to Liverpool One, which is this big swishy posh part of Liverpool and there was a girl there with full make up on a la Jordan and she had a head full of rollers too, weird, never mind about shopping in pj's and slippers??? Maybe I am getting old after all!!
Kids here wander about in pajama bottoms all the time. I rather envy them - it would make life so much easier (and comfier!)

Rodney!! Glad to hear from you - it must be such a relief not to have to worry about healthcare ... or the possibility of President Palin

Trotty, sorry about the buyers - everyone seems to be looking for a bargain in this market. Hope you feel better soon.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:24 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beautiful home Cheers!! It looks so "American" if you know what I mean, so when are you thinking of selling up and moving back home?

p.s. Kitchen was in York Castle Museum, now there's an interesting place for a day out if you like a spot of nostalgia.........

http://www.yorkcastlemuseum.org.uk/P...tleMuseum.aspx
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:11 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by windsong
JJ - When I move to the UK, for how long do I have to keep filing US taxes? I'd like to forget I ever heard of the USA in that respect. I doubt I will ever get rid of the USA, though, because most of my income will come from here
Hi, while you remain a USC you are obligated to report to IRS any Taxable Income, as if you were in the US.
If you have income that is not taxable, for instance, it is less than your personal allowance then you get to decide not to report it and you don't file.

(took me a long time to get that in my head, it's the same for the UK, if some income is not taxable then you simply do not report it. The onus is on us, the filer, to decide what is reportable and what isn't. They, the tax people, don't go through to check if you listed stuff you needn't, if you report they will tax it.)

It would be worth filing the first couple years back in UK I suspect, even if you do not have any earned income, maybe IRS owes you a credit from previous and needs to pay it back, if you don't file they won't be able to respond with the refund.

here is a link to a 2009 IRS document on filing, http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i104...02.html#d0e430

It is lengthy but don't read it all for now, just look in
Contents, Section 2, click on "Do You Have To File"; it will jump you to the section,
then scroll down about one page more and you will see Chart A, Chart B, Chart C, these charts set out the rules for when you must file.

Last edited by J.J; Dec 6th 2010 at 9:32 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
Hi, while you remain a USC you are obligated to report to IRS any Taxable Income, as if you were in the US.
If you have income that is not taxable, for instance, it is less than your personal allowance then you get to decide not to report it and you don't file.
I haven't had any income that was taxable since I retired. I wish I made enough to pay taxes (be careful what you wish for)

They have enough paper to handle they don't want unnecessary reporting if you don't make enough.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rodney and welcime home, sorry about the weather hope to hear about your adventures when you get settled in and get more time. I'm sure your mum is over the moon, I am delighted for you both. It will be really interesting to hear your views on home good and bad, good luck Denise
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney - Great to hear with you. Hoping to get more posts from you as you settle in.
Trotty - so sorry about your house. Selling a house is such a pain - trying to keep it tidy all the time, getting ready to show, etc. People here in the US expect you to practically give your house away in this economy and of course, none of us can afford to do that! Hopefully you will have more luck in the New Year or Spring. When does the contract with your realtor run out? Sounds like you will be looking for another one.
Hope you feel better soon - you should rest. I wasn't well about a month ago, went to work every day even though I felt like cr@p - ended up with bronchitis and felt worse! You don't want that to happen. Rest, hot tea and chicken soup should help - also honey for your sore throat.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I just wondered why your name is "Derrygal"??
My daddy's family was from Derry. My maiden name is Doherty.
Because I grew up in Derry/Londonderry - whatever you want to call it. They've been fighting over the name for a few hundred years!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Cheers,
You are very funny!!! I did get a giggle.........
Also love the Youtube clips that you post - more, please!
Tanto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.