Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dunroving
Hmm, we'll have to wait for the cognitive psychology experts to chime in, but personally, I think talking on the phone (hands-free or not) takes up more cognitive effort than talking with people in the car.
I totally agree with that statement - it is entirely different than talking to passengers.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:06 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

I too used to take AGES in the supermarket to shop, examining all the labels so I would be familiar with a tin of beans or a decent packet of soap powder or whatever.

On holiday visits my supermarket flying visits would consist of me getting some goodies to bring back to Australia - Quavers, Galaxy chocolate, biscuits, hair products....etc. But when you have to go and do real live grocery shopping it's a whole different ball game.
We were like that on vacation. We got a self-catering place on purpose so that we'd have to figure things out. You should have seen us in the supermarket - we were like kids in a candy store because we're both vegetarians and you can get so much more veggie food there.

And then we brought all this stuff back to the apartment and I realized I had no idea how to work the oven. There were all these little pictures that seemed to be universal icons but they meant nothing to me. It took me about half an hour of head scratching to work out how to turn it on.

The landlord told us he had left dishwasher powder and clothes detergent under the sink. Which he had, but in little jars instead of their packets. We had no idea whether the powder was for the dishes or the clothes and whether the little green pouches of liquid were supposed to go in the DW or the washing machine. I kept having to call my mum and asking her the stupidest questions.

I suppose that can get really trying when you first arrive back, but I plan to look on it all as an adventure. Luckily we have lots of people to call on for help.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:08 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sentosa
After 15 years in Florida we are going home, the house here is up for sale just need to sell then U.K here we come. I love Florida but DH and I will both be 65 in 2011 and we simply cannot afford the medical, we haven't enough points to get medicare and although we are both in good health at the moment, the prospect of something major happening is scary. We really are looking forward to returning home, all our family are still in the U.K. and we can't wait for the day to come. Yet another adventure for us.
I have been reading through some of the posts and there is lots of info for me to go through.I am making notes as I go through the posts on things like shipping, tax etc. plenty to keep me busy.

The information is invaluable, the tricks and tips, but more invaluable for me have been the human interest stories, the lives of people who have gone back and have kept in touch like Peigi, Anna, J and J and so on.

I am now waiting for the next installment from Mr Rodney eating porridge with his mum and his views on Britain.

Don't know if you have seen this thread, but there is some good stuff on there too, especially if you are not brave enough (or have the time) to read every post on here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267933

Good luck with your house sale and welcome.

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 5th 2010 at 8:17 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:16 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
We were like that on vacation. We got a self-catering place on purpose so that we'd have to figure things out. You should have seen us in the supermarket - we were like kids in a candy store because we're both vegetarians and you can get so much more veggie food there.

And then we brought all this stuff back to the apartment and I realized I had no idea how to work the oven. There were all these little pictures that seemed to be universal icons but they meant nothing to me. It took me about half an hour of head scratching to work out how to turn it on.

The landlord told us he had left dishwasher powder and clothes detergent under the sink. Which he had, but in little jars instead of their packets. We had no idea whether the powder was for the dishes or the clothes and whether the little green pouches of liquid were supposed to go in the DW or the washing machine. I kept having to call my mum and asking her the stupidest questions.

I suppose that can get really trying when you first arrive back, but I plan to look on it all as an adventure. Luckily we have lots of people to call on for help.
That is EXACTLY how I was Sally - you feel like a right idiot sometimes LOL!! I consider myself to be a pretty clued up person but there were times when I was first in the UK I sure didn't feel like it.

And I would say that Australia was more like the UK than the US is, so I bet it was even harder for you fumbling around the kitchen.

Yes once I figured out with help how to work the mobile phone it was never too far away with my endless questions.

I actually thought the fruit and veggies in the UK weren't as good as the Aussie ones!! You would think you had died and gone to heaven if you came here then.

http://www.campionandcurtis.com/seasonal.html
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I just looked at that Housing21 site. It says you can have pets but that they are not to be replaced. What? Ridiculous! If something where ever to happen to any of my pets, I would certainly get another. I am not over the hill yet!
Get one the same colour and size ;0)
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Windsong.

I do understand where you are coming from.

I can see you are so out of touch with the UK, many of us have a good idea but I'm sure all of us will have plenty to learn once we return, Many of us are stuck in the past and I'm one of them, we yearn for the good old days, and lucky for us some of those wants are still available once we get back, even if its just a walk down the street.

It amazes me when you have no clue about Wilkinson's and Asda, that's not a knock on you, it just makes me realize that you really did cut yourself off from the UK, I've never done that, I've always wanted to go back and always tried to stay on top of info from the UK, I still bring newspapers and magazines back with me, I save them for reference (just in case) these days the internet has certainly kept me close.

You really do need to look at most web sites and stores that people mention on this thread, then you will see what's going on over there, it may even excite you as it does many of us, Most UK websites finish with either .co.uk or .com so add that to any thing you see on here or google it.
Google Currys and Comet for electrical goods.
Wilkinsons or Wilkos as most people call it is a decent cheap store, you can get all sorts of things there, its much like an Old Woolworths but not exactly.
Asda is a supermarket, (Associated Daries) Wal-mart bought them out some years ago, some of the things you see in Walmart are in Asda especially the Chinese made items, same Walmart brands in some cases. Charlie Etc...
Even the yellow smiley face.

You seem concerned about furniture, go to the sites Don and I gave you a week ago.

We all have fears, None of us know what is going to happen to us over in the UK or here for that matter, we all have plans, but Life is full of uncertainty, you like most of us are trying to figure this out, Will I be able to afford this and that, can I make ends meet etc, you have a certain life you have been accustomed too, you have expectations, we all do.

You say you have no friends or family over there so there is no one to judge you unlike some of us, Of course you can be disappointed in yourself, but what good does that do, Life is full of ups and downs you just have to try your best, what more can you ask of yourself?.

Only you knows your wants needs and limits, from what I've learned about you over the past few weeks I'm very sure you are in much better shape than 90% of us, Id love to be receiving the benefits you expect, I'm not being nasty, I'm really not, its a very decent amount of money.

The exchange rate changes all the time, we will just have to deal with it, its just going to be part of our future life, Take the last 30 years, the rate has been between $1 to $2 to a £1, so that's gives you an Idea what to expect if things continue as they have, of course there are no guarantees but there never was, just take your retirement amount and look at both figures, see if it works for you, we are all in the same boat, its just that some of us will have more to take back than others.

Believe me we all worry about the exchange rate, its pointless worrying about things we cant change, my best advice when you get back is to be thrifty, live well within your means, save as much as possible for a rainy day, as time goes by you will adjust accordingly.
If you really want to worry you better hope the USA stays solvent and keeps paying SS payments to people like us, that concerns me but I wont worry about it.

I say be prepared to work past 65, that way if you have to it wont be such a big deal, I expect to work well past 65, If I can afford to retire I will, it all depends on the unknown future, health, work, money etc.

Many of us have wants and needs too, we are just like you wondering what will happen, I'm already ten years late in my projected return, No kidding, I feel so far behind already, I just have to live with it and know my day will come, I'm not giving up.

You are not the only one to loose money on this economy, My savings of 20 years are less then half of what they were because I need that money to live at the moment, this bad economy has stolen from many of us, some poor souls have lost everything, not just here but in the UK.

Bag Lady, hahahaha I don't see many of those in the UK...

Just go for it like Ed has done, she could have given up many times but never did, she always comes back with a great positive attitude and that's what it takes. Gosh I wish I could learn from my words of wisdom.

I've always wanted to go back home and its always been my intentions, years ago I wanted to go back because I missed the England I love, Today I want to return because staying here looks too risky, just the cost of healthcare and the thought of going bankrupt like so many do, then there's the thought of life in a care facilty, I just can't do that, not in this Country, Id hate for my wife and I to go through that.
Wow, Fish, incredible words of advice and wisdom! Thank you for sharing them with us - how lucky are we to have you in our company!!!
I have a feeling things will start moving for you soon. Are you ready?
Tanto
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

This is my girlfriend's house in Scotland. You can see all the snow they have had. Also, I think this must be a new house they bought. They didn't have "new" houses when I lived in Scotland. All were older except the council properties.

I had to put it on my Flickr account and post the URL here. There's no way I can see to embed a photo right in your post here. (I hope this comes through).

The image doesn't seem to embed itself even with the link so I am giving the link too

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/...argtbhouse.jpg

My girlfriend just wrote and told me now that this is not a new house. It was built in 1926!!!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Quavers, Barb, are you serious? Melton Mowbray pies for me.

Valerie
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Jobs, dont hang about expecting the perfect job but as long as its honest income who cares, once youve got a job it always seems like its easier to get another one.
More wise words, Fish! You are on a roll.....
Tanto
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

That is EXACTLY how I was Sally - you feel like a right idiot sometimes LOL!! I consider myself to be a pretty clued up person but there were times when I was first in the UK I sure didn't feel like it.

And I would say that Australia was more like the UK than the US is, so I bet it was even harder for you fumbling around the kitchen.

Yes once I figured out with help how to work the mobile phone it was never too far away with my endless questions.

I actually thought the fruit and veggies in the UK weren't as good as the Aussie ones!! You would think you had died and gone to heaven if you came here then.

http://www.campionandcurtis.com/seasonal.html
I am very sure the UK has more vegetable varieties than I can find in the U.S. and if Australia has more than the UK, then it's high time I left the U.S. (which I already know, of course).
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
Quavers, Barb, are you serious? Melton Mowbray pies for me.

Valerie
Oh yes Quavers Crisps (and Smoky Bacon), mind you when they get back here they are more like Quaver crumbs LOL!!

Oh noooo you cannot bring meat pies into Australia......BIG BIG penalties.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes Quavers Crisps (and Smoky Bacon), mind you when they get back here they are more like Quaver crumbs LOL!!

Oh noooo you cannot bring meat pies into Australia......BIG BIG penalties.
The US too. They made me throw out a perfectly good Pork pie last time I came back. ..
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You won't need to have the card in hand - having an ID will allow them to trace your records, and you can be given a new NHS number if needed (I was given a new one, even though I still remembered my old one off by heart - after 23 years).
Should we get this sorted before we leave or wait until then. I have no idea what my NI number is.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I totally agree with that statement - it is entirely different than talking to passengers.
Well for someone who has enjoyed the safety of keeping my mobile in my purse for more than two years, it has worked beautifully for me. I can only speak for myself.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am very sure the UK has more vegetable varieties than I can find in the U.S. and if Australia has more than the UK, then it's high time I left the U.S. (which I already know, of course).
I go back very year and when I left 38 years ago the variety of fruits and vegetables was not exciting at all. I think that the EU has opened up an enormous variety of foodstuffs and fabulous culinary diversity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.