Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 31st 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Take no notice, she's talking about herself. Projecting that she would be afraid she wouldn't fit, being so American.
I think you are right about that.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I think you are right about that.
I think our generation was more adventurous. ....
Old Oct 31st 2010, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Look Rodney they are rehearsing for your arrival at Heathrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3NPNM4xgo
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind if Rodney doesnt cry that made me cry HighTide.... I could just envision him walking through those gate and being greeted like that
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Never mind if Rodney doesnt cry that made me cry HighTide.... I could just envision him walking through those gate and being greeted like that
I'm glad you enjoyed it Trotty....I think it was very special and has such meaning to all of us.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:31 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Me too I'm all teary. The boys are back in town had me laughing, their faces were a picture.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:47 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Oh - I know Runcorn. It isn't that bad!!! I used to live in Warrington - moved there in the late 70s. I seem to remember Runcorn had a fairly decent indoor shopping center (probably one of the first malls in the UK).
The "modern" indoor shopping centre is now over 30 years old, lots of empty shops and a bit tired and dated..........mind you it does have more than its fair share of "pound" shops

And I was in Warrington earlier this year and thought it looked a bit rundown in the main street though they have done a big new shopping centre and bus station.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Thanks for the reply Barb, I'm just glad its not some town I love... LOL

Ive never been there, but I seem to think my Dad worked there for a while at an ICI plant.
That would have been the biggest employer around them parts, maybe still is??
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

[QUOTE=Fish n Chips 56;8953319]
Originally Posted by Beedubya
Thanks Trotty true, I do pop in now and then, sometimes I even have a little lurk.

What Id do for a bit of Coro, they used to show it here years ago and Eastenders too, but then it got pulled, Ive still got my Last of Summer Wine on Sat nights and I Love it.

We have a new show here called Ladies of Letters, featuring Maureen Lipman and Anne Reid, its a Great show, perfect for our age group, lots of sarcasim, it was originally a radio show with Prunella Scales (Sybil Faulty) and Patrica Routledge (Hyacinth Bucket), Look out for it.
What I did Fish n Chips, is bought a computer programme called Identity Cloaker you can pay about $10 for a 10 day trial first, anyway what it does is "cloaks your identity" so you log onto servers in other countries, UK, Ireland, Europe, USA, Canada, so for instance I log onto the UK then go to ITV player and watch my soapies. It's a bit hit and miss with the connection of a night but pretty good in the daytime, I watched 5 episodes of Corrie on Saturday. I have also watched NBC a few times from the USA.

http://www.identitycloaker.com/

After the trial I paid about 6 Euros a month for a 3 month plan. I have no idea what it was originally intended for but probably not watching Coronation Street ha ha!!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:03 pm
Home Sweet Home

23 years in all. I was in the US for a brief (3 year) period in the mid 80s, then moved back to England. Then moved back to the US in 1990, so this last "stint" has been 20 years, but I supposed if I count the other 3 years, it makes 23. My eldest daughter is very American - I think Mummy in the Foothills is right - she thinks she wouldn't fit in there and is projecting it on to me.
You sound in a very similar position to me Derrygal, it is just SO hard to know what to do......you feel so torn in two.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:12 pm
Home Sweet Home

BRILLIANT!! That made me laugh AND cry, thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Saw this the other night on TV running as the commercial, it was the one of the most moving commercials that I have ever scene. My first although would still have to go the Clydesdale horses that stood in front of the Statue of Liberty and bowed tot he statue, this was done the Christmas after 9/11, I think they were the Budweiser Horses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxxix0QQdU

Last edited by Easterndawn; Oct 31st 2010 at 9:58 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:55 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Oh HighTide that was fantastic! Thanks for sharing!!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a happy place today, Westerham, Kent. It is a small town where Winston Churchill lived, at Chartwell. His statue is on the town green space, and is a beautiful contemporary sculpture. The town is a typical English town, with little twee shops as well as many pubs and restaurants. It seems to have missed a lot of the closures that have affected other places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerham

I am glad that I was able to see it, as it cancelled out a lot of the awful places and situations I have posted about recently. This part of Kent is beautiful - rolling hills, narrow lanes, little fields. Wonderful England! I posted all the photos I took, with all of you in mind as I know you are longing to see something of your homeland. So, click on the link here and be transported to a lovely little town.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandwoman/

Rosie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.