Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:17 am

K and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dontheturner
HiCheers, If Teignmouth really interests you, type into Google Earth '' Somerset Place Teignmouth'' and you can go down to street level, and see one of the main streets of shops, narrow, and quaint, but lovely, too, and good clean car parks, The fish is caught locally, and comes ashore at the fish quay.
An excellent shopping excursion, is to ''Trago Mills'' who cut price, all things Household and Garden - they do have two outlets, and have a web site, good if you need somewhere to occupy children, whilst you shop for bargains.

If your desire is somewhere larger, have a look at Queen Street, Newton Abbot, too.(in Google Earth Street View,) Don
And we are leaving Newton Abbot to go the the Central Coast in NSW, about 60 Miles north of Sydney on a CPV143 visa.

Having visited the Central Coast on a number of I find it very similar to the South Devon coast, the Torbay and the surrounding regions are called the "Gateway to Heaven" as the average age is over well over 60!!, people that holiday in the area throughout there lives then on retirement having fond memories of the area come back to live here.!!

I have had property in the area both Torquay and Newton Abbot since 1980 though with visits off to South Africa and London for employment purposes, I have always come back to HOME!! Though now retired with the only child living in Australia time to move on.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 12:25 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh I don't think I am good enough to pack in my full time paid job Sally, but maybe it's a way of making some extra cash instead of them all just sitting there gathering dust??? [...]

Good luck with your little business. What kind of painting do you do - canvases and things?

Oh yes - sorry. I didn't mean to suggest you pack in work and make earrings full-time - just that it could be a nice way to save some extra cash for whatever you decide to do next.

I paint in acrylics, still life painting mainly, but I haven't tried to sell anything - just do it for pleasure and to decorate on the cheap I just finished a series of fruit paintings to hang in the kitchen and brighten things up.

Our business is totally unrelated but we've been running it for 7 years now.

Devon looks like such a lovely place! I'd definitely consider living there if our family weren't all up north. But, family and friends are the reason for returning, so being far away wouldn't make sense.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 12:58 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh yes - sorry. I didn't mean to suggest you pack in work and make earrings full-time - just that it could be a nice way to save some extra cash for whatever you decide to do next.

I paint in acrylics, still life painting mainly, but I haven't tried to sell anything - just do it for pleasure and to decorate on the cheap I just finished a series of fruit paintings to hang in the kitchen and brighten things up.

Our business is totally unrelated but we've been running it for 7 years now.

Devon looks like such a lovely place! I'd definitely consider living there if our family weren't all up north. But, family and friends are the reason for returning, so being far away wouldn't make sense.
Far away makes no sense.........at all..........ever............
Old Oct 31st 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was Fish and Chips that asked?

Anyways "grim Northern town" is Runcorn though I will deny ever having called it that if called up to a court of law.
Oh - I know Runcorn. It isn't that bad!!! I used to live in Warrington - moved there in the late 70s. I seem to remember Runcorn had a fairly decent indoor shopping center (probably one of the first malls in the UK).
Old Oct 31st 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was Fish and Chips that asked?

Anyways "grim Northern town" is Runcorn though I will deny ever having called it that if called up to a court of law.
Thanks for the reply Barb, I'm just glad its not some town I love... LOL

Ive never been there, but I seem to think my Dad worked there for a while at an ICI plant.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Thanks for the reply Barb, I'm just glad its not some town I love... LOL

Ive never been there, but I seem to think my Dad worked there for a while at an ICI plant.
Yes - there used to be a big ICI plant there - that whole area Runcorn/Widnes/Warrington had a lot of chemical plants there - I think some of them are still there, some not. The actual town of Runcorn may not be great, but there is some beautiful surrounding countryside. I lived in Cheshire for 10 years - went back there last summer and stayed with friends. I honestly wish I hadn't left - I am in a similar situation to Barb, divorced with adult children and grandchildren here - feel torn. I worry about growing old in this country, the healthcare costs, etc. It's hard to decide what to do for the best.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Beedubya;8952388]Thanks Trotty true, I do pop in now and then, sometimes I even have a little lurk.

What Id do for a bit of Coro, they used to show it here years ago and Eastenders too, but then it got pulled, Ive still got my Last of Summer Wine on Sat nights and I Love it.

We have a new show here called Ladies of Letters, featuring Maureen Lipman and Anne Reid, its a Great show, perfect for our age group, lots of sarcasim, it was originally a radio show with Prunella Scales (Sybil Faulty) and Patrica Routledge (Hyacinth Bucket), Look out for it.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Yes - there used to be a big ICI plant there - that whole area Runcorn/Widnes/Warrington had a lot of chemical plants there - I think some of them are still there, some not. The actual town of Runcorn may not be great, but there is some beautiful surrounding countryside. I lived in Cheshire for 10 years - went back there last summer and stayed with friends. I honestly wish I hadn't left - I am in a similar situation to Barb, divorced with adult children and grandchildren here - feel torn. I worry about growing old in this country, the healthcare costs, etc. It's hard to decide what to do for the best.
Chesire is Lovely...
Chemical plants, not a great idea to live close by, you never know whats in the air and water, cant trust Big Biz.

I truly feel for you, Growing old in this country is not going to be a picnic, My Parents both passed away here last year, I wanted them to return to the UK years ago but they wouldn't leave as my sisters and their families live here, My Mother lived her last 5 years in a care home with Dementia, it was awful, hardly any visitors, just 5 of us and all our family back in UK wanting to come 3 did but many didn't.

I cant ever see true healthcare reform passing, by that I mean a system like the NHS where everyone is covered, the medical costs here are outrageous and will only go higher, Big Biz runs this country, Wall St, Insurance, Medical etc that's the bottom line.

Have you asked them how they'd feel? they might be thrilled if you went back, they could come for a vacation.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I know - it's nuts! Whe we move home, I plan to drag my husband all over the country seeing things we've never seen.

I have only been to London 3 times in my whole life and one of those was after I had moved here! We went to Cornwall on holidays when I was a kid, and I've been to Bath once on business - but not to any other southern county that I can remember ... and by southern I mean anything south of Chester

I really want to see the Peak District. I want to go to the Cotswolds. I want to go to Devon. I want to see a lot more of London. I want to go to the Norfolk coast ... so much that I missed when it was all at my doorstep. And don't even get me started on all the European places I want to see!
Sally...
I see Norfolk on your list, if you like boats go for a week on the Norfolk Broads, Search Blakes and Hoseasons for rental prices, I cant describe whats so good about it, but it really is a wonderful, the last time I went was when I was 16, Id just got out of school, Best holiday ever.
Its best when there are a bunch of you, 6-8 people, more fun plus the price is cheaper.
Costwolds, Devon, Peak District all very nice too.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chesire is Lovely...
Chemical plants, not a great idea to live close by, you never know whats in the air and water, cant trust Big Biz.

I truly feel for you, Growing old in this country is not going to be a picnic, My Parents both passed away here last year, I wanted them to return to the UK years ago but they wouldn't leave as my sisters and their families live here, My Mother lived her last 5 years in a care home with Dementia, it was awful, hardly any visitors, just 5 of us and all our family back in UK wanting to come 3 did but many didn't.

I cant ever see true healthcare reform passing, by that I mean a system like the NHS where everyone is covered, the medical costs here are outrageous and will only go higher, Big Biz runs this country, Wall St, Insurance, Medical etc that's the bottom line.

Have you asked them how they'd feel? they might be thrilled if you went back, they could come for a vacation.
Yes - I have mentioned it - my younger daughter would be fine with it. She doesn't have any children (yet). My eldest daughter with the children, doesn't really like me to talk about it - tries to change the subject, says I wouldn't fit in there after being away so long. She says I am more Americanized than I think (not sure what she means by that)
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - I have mentioned it - my younger daughter would be fine with it. She doesn't have any children (yet). My eldest daughter with the children, doesn't really like me to talk about it - tries to change the subject, says I wouldn't fit in there after being away so long. She says I am more Americanized than I think (not sure what she means by that)
Take no notice, she's talking about herself. Projecting that she would be afraid she wouldn't fit, being so American.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

'me know Runcorn also'

me dad lived in Halton Lodge in Runcorn. You don't need locks on your doors there because people have already stolen everything. I think theft is the local industry.

I stayed alone in my dads house once and during the night someone was trying the front door and I opened it and it was a neighbor.

When my dad died his neighbor invited me to stay at their house and they also ran me up to the nursing home to pick up his things. When we got back to their place they did overtime going through his possessions. Why? They belonged to me! I think they were looking for his loot in his possessions. Nice people, not.

For people who don't know Runcorn it is a new town, or was, where they relocated people from Liverpool. Social engineering I call it.

So I am with you, it is a bleak northern town.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Im thinking your eldest daughter might love the UK too and be a little envious, knowing her hubby wouldn't go.

People's feelings run deep on these subjects.

How long have you been away from the UK?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I understand on a certain level what she means by that, I came here when I was 18, and now want to return at 53..I am sure there are things, and attitudes I have become accustomed to that are very different in England, but everytime I visit, I find myself envying the simplicity..The idea that a cup of tea can solve all problems, a walk to the village for the morning paper can mean a mile or so, but its no big deal. Sunday lunch at the pub. The morning chorus....Mom enjoying a couple of Gin and tonics with her friend on Saturday afternoon, both of them in their 70s.
I am so ready to go back....
Jackie..
Old Oct 31st 2010, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Im thinking your eldest daughter might love the UK too and be a little envious, knowing her hubby wouldn't go.

People's feelings run deep on these subjects.

How long have you been away from the UK?
23 years in all. I was in the US for a brief (3 year) period in the mid 80s, then moved back to England. Then moved back to the US in 1990, so this last "stint" has been 20 years, but I supposed if I count the other 3 years, it makes 23. My eldest daughter is very American - I think Mummy in the Foothills is right - she thinks she wouldn't fit in there and is projecting it on to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.