Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Well, I am all, well nearly all unpacked and settled in. I do have to go back to the old flat give it a last once over and then that will be it. Took them all of 45 minutes to move me, but that was good as all the main stuff was then delivered by 9:15am and that gave me the rest of the day to get everything unpacked and put away. Though when I looked at the boxes and suitcases sitting in the middle of the living room, I got tired just looking at them but I did a few them sat down to watch a show or something on TV and soon most was done. The only problem was that I not gone out and bought any groceries and realized at 7pm that I was starving, so this morning it will be cold pizza for breakfast, Now if I could only get the darn TV to work, I was able to do it yesterday, but for the life of me, it just stares back with this big black blank look on its face. It is very calming to look out the balcony doors and see the river, even at night, with the lights shimmering off it.
I am glad though that I took today off also as I think I would not be very productive there today. Well, here goes another try to get the *&^%^& TV to come on.
Twinkling lights on the river........sigh.......better than any TV show.....
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Well, I am all, well nearly all unpacked and I . Well, here goes another try to get the *&^%^& TV to come on.
Wish I was nearby - I would willingly have done it for you. Take care, and good luck be with you. Now and in the future love Don xx
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Eastern,

I did look and see what Ayr looked like. The properties look very well cared for inside. Scottish women must go overboard with cleaning.

I went back to find out why you moved? I think you went from the old flat to a new one.

I like the idea of having a balcony to the flat because it makes it feel less confining.

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Nov 2nd 2010 at 12:40 am. Reason: Spell
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rosie,

Any new pictures?

Are you still in Kent or West Sussex? I think West Sussex is a high rent district.

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Nov 2nd 2010 at 12:53 am. Reason: Question mark added
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I am all, well nearly all unpacked and settled in. I do have to go back to the old flat give it a last once over and then that will be it. Took them all of 45 minutes to move me, but that was good as all the main stuff was then delivered by 9:15am and that gave me the rest of the day to get everything unpacked and put away. Though when I looked at the boxes and suitcases sitting in the middle of the living room, I got tired just looking at them but I did a few them sat down to watch a show or something on TV and soon most was done. The only problem was that I not gone out and bought any groceries and realized at 7pm that I was starving, so this morning it will be cold pizza for breakfast, Now if I could only get the darn TV to work, I was able to do it yesterday, but for the life of me, it just stares back with this big black blank look on its face. It is very calming to look out the balcony doors and see the river, even at night, with the lights shimmering off it.
I am glad though that I took today off also as I think I would not be very productive there today. Well, here goes another try to get the *&^%^& TV to come on.
Thanks Ed for keeping us all updated,
It must be a good feeling to be mostly all unpacked in your new flat, and Pizza for dinner and cold pizza for breakfast sounds good
And the lights shimmering off the river sounds wonderful, I can almost see it,
Now I hope you get your TV to work,
Rodney.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rosie,

Any new pictures?

Are you still in Kent or West Sussex? I think West Sussex is a high rent district.

Cheers
I spent the day travelling from one side of London to the other, as I am currently in Purley, but my bags were in the Left Luggage in Liverpool Street when I came back from my terrible trip to Ipswich last week, so that was a train and tube ride to rescue those. Then a £60 taxi ride to Ealing to leave them in a friends house, then back on the tube and train to Purley. Took all day, but was as smooth as clockwork. Victoria is a nice station, with a light and airy aspect. The Gatwick Express leaves from there, and it is a service every 15 minutes - for anyone needing to know that. I am feeling so much better now, as I have been invited to spend a month with the friends I am currently with, and there is a strong possibility that I will be able to spend an extended period of time in Chester at the home of a former High School teacher. Growning up on a small island enabled us to make many friends, and they have been welcoming to me, unlike my own family.

Rodney: You asked about me using my photographic skills as a possible living. I am a trained graphic designer and digital photographer, and have been able to start using some of those skills in exchange for board and lodging. I made my needs known to the Universe, and the answers are starting to come back to me. Very New Ageish I know, but it works. If you pray, it is the same sort of request - ask a higher power for help, then leave it, and the answers will return in various forms.

So today I did not take any more photos, as I was travellling all about in a hurry - there is a Tube strike on, from 7pm UK time, until Thursday morning, and I was in a rush to beat the real Rush Hour people. I see it is Election night in the USA - I will tune in tomorrow to see what the results are.

Till tomorrow, Rosie
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad that you are in your new place - the view sounds lovely. Good for you! Rosie
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Being an interested onlooker to all this chat, I find it very sad that family
members cannot support one another as they should. Could this be a clash of personalities or what? Coming from a very united family, albeit small, it should be a fundemental requirment It must be costing you a bomb with all these taxi's Islandwoman, but if you look there are some super places to compensate you for all the grotty areas. I have found this with every country
I have visited. It is a fact of life that you have rough with the smooth. Not long now Rod, just a pity that Pompey were relagated last season, as I would have been down to Portsmouth with the team I support. I do not live all that far from where Don is planning to move to , so if you visit I will drive over and buy you both a pint. Please, can you all keep posting, as this is similar to a good book, ie, you can't put it down.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Being an interested onlooker to all this chat, I find it very sad that family
members cannot support one another as they should. Could this be a clash of personalities or what? Coming from a very united family, albeit small, it should be a fundemental requirment It must be costing you a bomb with all these taxi's Islandwoman, but if you look there are some super places to compensate you for all the grotty areas. I have found this with every country
I have visited. It is a fact of life that you have rough with the smooth. Not long now Rod, just a pity that Pompey were relagated last season, as I would have been down to Portsmouth with the team I support. I do not live all that far from where Don is planning to move to , so if you visit I will drive over and buy you both a pint. Please, can you all keep posting, as this is similar to a good book, ie, you can't put it down.
I have no idea what the issues with my English family are, but they nagged me for years to come back. Here I am, now they are angry that I did not come sooner. Now that I am over the initial shock, and am staying with genuine friends, I am fine. Well, as fine as I can be at any rate. I have broad shoulders and a strong back, having lived through many experiences on my own in the USA. It makes you independent I guess. I am finished with the suitcase relocation today - I should have left them where they were instead of lugging them to Ipswich, but you live and learn. Now they are in one location, with friends in West London, and I am with other friends in south London (Surrey actually). Yes, this site certainly is an interesting one - if it goes on like this, it will take over the Expatriates website!!! I look forward to each and every posting myself. Rosie
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Its just good to hear from you, Im Glad you are enjoying yourself, two weeks doesnt seem long, then I realise thats how long we normally go for. Huhhhh
haha yes I usually only have one week..........so I guess to have two left is good.
Had lovely Fish and Chips on Brighton pier......
Hope everyone is doing well, caught up on a few posts, Ed so happy you have found a new place to live.
Rodney OMG 4 weeks!!!!!!!!!! Aw I am so happy for you.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Don is planning to move to , so if you visit I will drive over and buy you both a pint. Please, can you all keep posting, as this is similar to a good book, ie, you can't put it down.
Hello B, You will be more than welcome - Good friends are hard to find. -and I think friends are sometimes more reliable, than family. Never mind

Do tell where you are located. I am a very humorous kind, and too easy going - so the family tell me.

I have wasted a fortune - I will tell you more privately. Please be in touch . regards Don
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rod,

I was so close to you today. We had to go up to 3500 South Fort Apache to return a Budget rental truck.

I had to bring down my sons bedroom set. The dresser was really heavy because I think they use a lot of glue in making them. Glad the move is over!

Cheers.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

I have been watching the US elections and I am quite surprised that American people think that one man was going to fix the countries economical problems in such a short time. Many of these problems have been decades in the making.
My husband tells me that it is very cold and has been snowing off and on for the past few days, this is much earlier than usual on the Island, me thinks that the winter is going to be long and hard.
Well it back to work today after 4 busy days, feel like I need a holiday now. Did have to call the landlord who came over almost immediately and we found out it was the FreeView box that was the problem, so for now I have only 5 channels. I will have to save up for a new TV before it it changes here next year. It still feels strange in the flat as I haven't found my rythme yet, you know, you come in and put you bag a certain place, you do things in a certain order, mind you that might just be me, but I am sure it won't take long. It is lovely here, though and my landlord has told me to treat this flat as my own, which makes it much easier to settle in.
Christmas is definetly on its way here in the UK, commercials, High Street are all a glow with Christmas stuff but I did find myself humming along with the Christmas music in one store.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been watching the US elections and I am quite surprised that American people think that one man was going to fix the countries economical problems in such a short time. Many of these problems have been decades in the making.
My husband tells me that it is very cold and has been snowing off and on for the past few days, this is much earlier than usual on the Island, me thinks that the winter is going to be long and hard.
Well it back to work today after 4 busy days, feel like I need a holiday now. Did have to call the landlord who came over almost immediately and we found out it was the FreeView box that was the problem, so for now I have only 5 channels. I will have to save up for a new TV before it it changes here next year. It still feels strange in the flat as I haven't found my rythme yet, you know, you come in and put you bag a certain place, you do things in a certain order, mind you that might just be me, but I am sure it won't take long. It is lovely here, though and my landlord has told me to treat this flat as my own, which makes it much easier to settle in.
Christmas is definetly on its way here in the UK, commercials, High Street are all a glow with Christmas stuff but I did find myself humming along with the Christmas music in one store.
Hello Ed.

That's America for you, very impatient people, so used to everything being instant, Obama asked for 4 years and got two, It drives me crazy, How can peoples memory be so short, don't they remember who was running the country before Obama.

I saw a Bushes speech writer interviewed tonight, he said that people were tired of how Washington was run for the last ten years, so they've voted the Republicans back in... (what double talk).

Ski slopes opened here last week, they usually don't open until thanksgiving, I hear we are in for a bad winter, Huhhhhhh that's all we need.

I'm not exactly sure about your TV problem but you can get a Freeview box for about £50 from Comet, other places may be cheaper, I think Freeview is a great idea, wish we had it here, 50 free channels in HD sounds awesome, I pay $100 a month and have no HD... Thanks to whoever deregulated that industry.

I know some of the new British TVs come with the free box already installed in the TV.

Have a Great Week.

I now see the HD box is much more expensive, Yikes.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Nov 2nd 2010 at 8:39 pm. Reason: Additional comment
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh...............

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.