Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by cheers
Hey Rod!

Did you work your last day yet?

Cheers mate!
Yes cheers my last shift was Wednesday, two days ago, so I am officially retired now, so thats it 50 years of constant work, and now its time for a rest,
Rodney.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes cheers my last shift was Wednesday, two days ago, so I am officially retired now, so thats it 50 years of constant work, and now its time for a rest,
Rodney.
Bless you Rodney. Now take a breath, and get ready to move those four bags!!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wawa
Islandwoman120, thanks for sharing, you are truly a talented photographer - loved them!
Thanks - I am uploading the Ipswich photos now. Enjoy them!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Thanks - I am uploading the Ipswich photos now. Enjoy them!
Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful photos. Looking forward to the photos of Ipswich and wherever else your travels take you.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Rodney.
Congratulations Rodney....they will miss you. Time for you to relax and enjoy your last few weeks in Vegas.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rosie,

Thank you for the photos! I'm up to page 35.

You certainly have an eye for detail!

You had a series on rural fences and I have a thing for rural gates.

Keep them coming!

Are you in Somerset now? You probably told us, sorry!

Cheers
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rosie,

I don't think you saw all of Ipswich. I just got this off BBC somewhere.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/bare_face...swich_1_710535
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

South london is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks to everyone for all the info I have learned in the last few days reading this thread - and yes it has taken quite a few days.

I have lived in Canada - with my Canadian wife - for the last thirty years.

Until this summer we had not been back to the UK for over twenty years, and now after spending 2 months there we are starting to think about moving back.

Like a lot of you have said that as you get older you start to feel the draw of your home country. Now that Iam retired it may be possible to make it happen.

I wish everyone well in there efforts to get there and for those already there I hope you continue to enjoy living in such a wonderful country.

I will continue reading this thread, as I find it so fascinating, and will post if I feel have something to contribute.

Thanks Rob
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by South london
Just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks to everyone for all the info I have learned in the last few days reading this thread - and yes it has taken quite a few days.

I have lived in Canada - with my Canadian wife - for the last thirty years.

Until this summer we had not been back to the UK for over twenty years, and now after spending 2 months there we are starting to think about moving back.

Like a lot of you have said that as you get older you start to feel the draw of your home country. Now that Iam retired it may be possible to make it happen.

I wish everyone well in there efforts to get there and for those already there I hope you continue to enjoy living in such a wonderful country.

I will continue reading this thread, as I find it so fascinating, and will post if I feel have something to contribute.

Thanks Rob
Welcome Rob..
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob,

Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy being on here.

What part of Canada?

What part of the UK?

Cheers
Old Oct 29th 2010, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I too have been really enjoying this forum

I am only 39 lol ,but my Husband is 51 so I guess that makes it OK ??

We are going back to the UK in 2012 after 7ish years in Indiana .

I am originally from SW london and he has lived all over the world (although he was born here )

It is so nice to read encouraging posts with no ugly banter

We will be living in Dorset when we return ,we feel it will be better for our 3 children -our youngest is just 2 !!!!

Hello to you all BTW ,and sorry this is all over the place -I have my fidgeting daughter on my lap
Old Oct 29th 2010, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, Gab. You baby, you! But we'll let you in

Dorset--that is really lovely! And you're going while the children are still small--something many of us wish we had been able to do.

Keep us posted,

Tina
Old Oct 29th 2010, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Rodney.
Rodney, hearty congratulations on your retirement on Wednesday! It must now be hitting home and feeling a lot more real - in a few days you will be saying to everyone 'Im off later this month'
Remember to take one day at a time, and just enjoy your last weeks in the US. You are the most organized person I know, but there will still be times when you feel overwhelmed, or maybe just plain scared - its normal. I have moved countries so many times, but this next move is THE most important in my life. I so envy you. Soon you'll be having bacon, eggs, sausage, black puddin' and fried bread with your mam.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I too have been really enjoying this forum

I am only 39 lol ,but my Husband is 51 so I guess that makes it OK ??

We are going back to the UK in 2012 after 7ish years in Indiana .

I am originally from SW london and he has lived all over the world (although he was born here )

It is so nice to read encouraging posts with no ugly banter

We will be living in Dorset when we return ,we feel it will be better for our 3 children -our youngest is just 2 !!!!

Hello to you all BTW ,and sorry this is all over the place -I have my fidgeting daughter on my lap
Gab,
I think you will find most people on this thread are positive, and look forward to returning to England. We all realize it is not perfect, but for us it is home.
I have been in the US for 34 years, but realize now that is time to go, just like many people on here there comes a time to follow your heart..
Enjoy..
Jackie..
Old Oct 29th 2010, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Welcome, Gab. You baby, you! But we'll let you in

Dorset--that is really lovely! And you're going while the children are still small--something many of us wish we had been able to do.

Keep us posted,

Tina
Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Gab,
I think you will find most people on this thread are positive, and look forward to returning to England. We all realize it is not perfect, but for us it is home.
I have been in the US for 34 years, but realize now that is time to go, just like many people on here there comes a time to follow your heart..
Enjoy..
Jackie..
Thank you both so much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.