Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Oh so in about 8 hours right?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
As some of you know the flight has been delayed 15 minutes so take off is now 4:55pm PST.
Maybe I misread that chart. I looked at the yellow line, the one that was highlighted and assumed that was Rodney's flight. It gave an arrival time of just after 2 pm PST.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Oh so in about 8 hours right?
Yes I have taken this flight..its great because if you can sleep, its not so bad jet lag wise.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Maybe I misread that chart. I looked at the yellow line, the one that was highlighted and assumed that was Rodney's flight. It gave an arrival time of just after 2 pm PST.

Try this link:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/VIR44

Let me know if you have any trouble.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:37 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The older houses in the U.S., those that were built in the 50s and 60s, are MUCH better insulated than the new ones. The new ones are dreadful! The older homes here are built much more solidly, like the older homes in the UK. Remember, too, the UK doesn't get the freezing cold weather that the U.S. gets.
My house was built a long time before the 50s which is why it's so bad. The utilities bills would make any sane person's head explode!

Good luck Rodney and safe travels!!
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

They seem to be keeping his speed down to 539 which is slower than the west bound journey.
Can some call his mom and tell her not to put the kettle on yet because he is late again.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

They seem to be keeping his speed down to 539 which is slower than the west bound journey.
Can some call his mom and tell her not to put the kettle on yet because he is late again.
Need to tell that Captain to put his foot down..Rodney has been waiting long enough for this day..
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
My house was built a long time before the 50s which is why it's so bad. The utilities bills would make any sane person's head explode!

Good luck Rodney and safe travels!!
Wow, Sally. I am so sorry. One of my friends here has a ranch that was built in the 40s and she doesn't even need to use her air conditioning in the summer - not for even a minute - because it stays cool. I visited her in the heat, too, and it was nice and cool. Now, my place, a badly built condo from the 70s, I have to have the A/C on nonstop most of the summer.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Try this link:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/VIR44

Let me know if you have any trouble.
Cheers, thank you. Now I am on the right track )
Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I've been wondering the same thing. Do we replace the carpets (they are clean but worn out) and the kitchen counter tops or do we leave it, and either give a lower price or a credit for them to do after the sale.
I think we may have to talk to the realtor and ask, what the difference in sale price would be between new carpets and counters or leaving them and see if we'd get our money back or make a profit by doing the upgrades.
After running the numbers, I'm so disappointed in the sales around here, for what we'd get we will have to have a small UK mortgage to get a decent home near my mother, or even to buy her house (£40,000 or so), we were hoping to be mortgage free
Oh well such is life.
One thing that really helps an older kitchen is to replace all the handles and hinges. Can make the doors look new )

What are house prices in the UK these days? How much will 40 thousand pounds buy?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

One thing that really helps an older kitchen is to replace all the handles and hinges. Can make the doors look new )

What are house prices in the UK these days? How much will 40 thousand pounds buy?
I am excited, next week I get to go back to work for a few hours a day. I am going crazy sitting around all day, plus it will help pass the time till I can get out of here...and that is the important thing...
Jackie
Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Let me look it up on 'Rightmove'

Try this one in Yorkshire at £50,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-30847463.html

or better yet, this one at £30,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-17257719.html

and another

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28180169.html

Last edited by cheers; Dec 1st 2010 at 2:41 am.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Rod is about to leave US airspace over Lake Michigan
Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Let me look it up on 'Rightmove'

Try this one in Yorkshire at £50,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-30847463.html

or better yet, this one at £30,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-17257719.html

and another

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28180169.html
Gosh, I had forgotten how austere British bathrooms are lol! I hope I can get used to that.

Of all of them I like the one at 50,000 pounds but the backyard needs some work - flowers, pathways, etc. to make it look nice and cozy.

The one at 30,000 might be okay if you have someone to do the renovations - such as a handy husband
Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Rod is about to leave US airspace over Lake Michigan
Sigh....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.