Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:39 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

I came on the QM2 because I didnt want to put my dogs on a plane. It was worth it and lovely. It ended up cheaper for us as we brought two dogs and a cat. They have a standard fee for pets. They also worked with us and put my husband , son, daughter and I in a quad cabin which saved us loads. You are allowed to bring as much with you as would fit in the cabin. The dogs have a walk area where they also go toilet. It is just washed over the side. They loved it and were spoiled by it. They got loads of attention and I could visit any time. The trip was an adventure in itself and I would HIGHLY recommend it. We knew it would be a six day crossing and so we shipped most of our belongings. We had a 20 ft container and it was worth it. It was comforting to have familiar belongings. I especially wanted that for my dogs and cat to ease any trauma. I did have a good clean-out and got rid of things I didnt need, but kept sentimental items and my furniture. The charity shops here are fantastic for quick replacements of electrical goods and other things like that. Also ebay seems much better here. I absolutely love them! Oh, and by chance, by the time we drove up from Southampton, the container had just arrived about 30 minutes before hand. Perfect!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a wonderful way to travel, can you remember what it cost you for the dogs. How are things going, still would like to get together for coffee some day.
Originally Posted by callé
I came on the QM2 because I didnt want to put my dogs on a plane. It was worth it and lovely. It ended up cheaper for us as we brought two dogs and a cat. They have a standard fee for pets. They also worked with us and put my husband , son, daughter and I in a quad cabin which saved us loads. You are allowed to bring as much with you as would fit in the cabin. The dogs have a walk area where they also go toilet. It is just washed over the side. They loved it and were spoiled by it. They got loads of attention and I could visit any time. The trip was an adventure in itself and I would HIGHLY recommend it. We knew it would be a six day crossing and so we shipped most of our belongings. We had a 20 ft container and it was worth it. It was comforting to have familiar belongings. I especially wanted that for my dogs and cat to ease any trauma. I did have a good clean-out and got rid of things I didnt need, but kept sentimental items and my furniture. The charity shops here are fantastic for quick replacements of electrical goods and other things like that. Also ebay seems much better here. I absolutely love them! Oh, and by chance, by the time we drove up from Southampton, the container had just arrived about 30 minutes before hand. Perfect!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Well, it seems like there are several ways to travel. My son went to New Zealand by freighter, he was one of only 6 passengers. He left from Savannah, USA, the journey took 3 weeks. He loved it. But it is definitely more expensive than flying, as you have 3 good meals a day included in the cost. I imagine the same for the QM2, though not as long a voyage. Then, of course, there is the problem of getting to a port at this end, and getting from a port to final destination at the other end. The more baggage you have, the more you will be carrying, regardless of the way you go. For us females, with no or little manual help at either end, that can be a problem. I am going to be particularly careful, whichever way I choose. When I flew to Germany early this year, I had a case on wheels, not particularly heavy. But I had to pull it, lift it, push it up and down steps, on and off conveyer belts, on and off trains and finally up a spiral staircase. The next day I woke up with a severe back problem and was in pain for a week. Not letting that happen again Another solution on the shipping thing, if you are not sure whether you might one day return to adopted country, is to put stuff in storage here. I know someone back in the UK from Florida, has his in storage the last two years.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

QM is full-kennels wise for the rest of 2010!!! I already checked with them!!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
That sounds like a wonderful way to travel, can you remember what it cost you for the dogs. How are things going, still would like to get together for coffee some day.
The cost for dogs depends on the size of the cages- $300 for a cage for small one or $500 for a large sized one!

Last edited by shelley748; Nov 16th 2009 at 8:17 pm. Reason: wrong $ amount
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Rodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to all

Well a new day has begun, hmmm they should make a song out of that. Okay, I'll stop being corny, went and did a little shopping yesterday, just to pick up a few things, I have noticed that bedding is so much more less expensive than it was back in Canada, this surprised me. For example I can by a double duvet with 2 pillow shams for about £20.00, you can get less expensive but at this price why would you.
I think that when I look at the cost of things here and the cost of things back in North America and look at the earning power here and again back in North America for us the difference is minimal. I have been here for 7 weeks, which I do understand is not a long time but will my lifestyle change for the worst, I can say at this point with all honesty a resounding no.
Of, course everyone is different and everyone has to decide what is important to them and their lifestyle but for us it is happiness and a sense of belonging.
Hi, Easterndawn

With regard to daily living cost's now in UK, was home for a holiday recently (Bonnie Scotland) also! and defo agree with cheap price of food, clothes, furniture, but how do you find cost of utilities compare, gas and electric, especially when you need to use it so much in the lovely Scottish winters now seem very expensive and the council tax is a worry almost a small mortgage!! these have been off putting for us when thinking of returning?? also do you know the cost of a T.V. license now? although that is something I wont be complaining about again, after living in OZ, well worth it for decent entertainment. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

I heard this also, but was always wondering where would your dog or cat go to the bathroom during the voyage

This was a reply I got from them when I asked earlier last year!

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Please find below the kennel information you requested.

Pet Travel Requirements:

Eastbound Requirements: NYC - SOU

The cat or dog must have been:

IN THIS ORDER

* Fitted with a microchip
* Vaccinated against rabies
* Satisfactory blood tested (Will not become valid for entry to the UK for 6 calendar months from the date the blood sample was taken shown in section V.)
* Issued with an official Veterinary Certificate (Regulation (EC) No 998/2003) or official PET Passport
* Treated against ticks and tapeworm not less than 24 hours or more than 48 hours before check-in and issued with an official certificate of treatment

FAILURE TO COMPLETE THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS IN ORDER, WILL RESULT IN YOUR PET BEING DENIED BOARDING.

General Information:
Animals Accepted- Dogs and Cats only - no birds.
Animals are not permitted in guest staterooms nor public areas
There is no Veterinarian onboard
The Kennel is located on deck 12, Aft, Starboard side.

Visiting Hours may vary but are usually as follows:
8:00 am to 10:00 am
11:00 am to 12:00 pm
3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
*Guest should check onboard for specific hours

Kennel Measurements:
6 upper Kennels (27" H, 30" W, 35.5" D) $300 USD for Each Kennel
Weight Restriction 25 lbs or less

6 lower Kennels (36" H, 30" W, 35.5" D) $500 USD for Each Kennel

Pet Measurements should be as follows:

* Pet Height (from floor to shoulder)
* Pet Width (from tip of nose to base of tail)
* Pet weight in pounds

Photos:

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to can call us to check on availability. Below is our contact information:

Kennel Reservations
Phone: (800)-5-CUNARD/800-528-6273
Fax: (661)284-4749
Email: [email protected]

Last edited by shelley748; Nov 16th 2009 at 8:18 pm. Reason: missed off info
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodfan
Hi, Easterndawn

With regard to daily living cost's now in UK, was home for a holiday recently (Bonnie Scotland) also! and defo agree with cheap price of food, clothes, furniture, but how do you find cost of utilities compare, gas and electric, especially when you need to use it so much in the lovely Scottish winters now seem very expensive and the council tax is a worry almost a small mortgage!! these have been off putting for us when thinking of returning?? also do you know the cost of a T.V. license now? although that is something I wont be complaining about again, after living in OZ, well worth it for decent entertainment. Thanks in advance.
Well, I can tell you my costs, if it's any help:

3 BR semi, former council property. North of Glasgow, but not the posh bit (not leafy Bearsden), but not rough either.

Gas and electric averaged to £89 pcm last year (I know because I just moved to direct debit and they estimate monthly payments based on what you spent last year). It's just me and the dog, so a family would cost a bit more b/c of water heating and laundry, etc.

Council tax £89 pcm (but I get single person discount - maybe 20% off???)

TV license is £142.50 (so about a tenner a month) and worth every penny. I have a Freesat box and get dozens of free channels, but get most of what I need from the BBC and ITV channels.

In comparison, in the States, my electric bill (no gas) averaged out to $170 pcm between Jan 2002 and Jun 2005 (OK, so I keep good records, give over with the OCD digs). I paid $40/month for cable (no premium channels), which gave me about as much choice as I have now with Freesat.

Council tax/property tax, well now you're asking ... it's rolled into mortgage payments over there so I am not sure, but think it was about $100 pcm - but I know that in some parts of the States it is horrendously higher than that.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Shelley, these are basically the same requirments that you have to have for the PETS programm , but does seem to be more reasonable than the price of flying them in to Heathrow. But if they are booked up want be much use next year for us, but will keep it in mind.
Originally Posted by shelley748
This was a reply I got from them when I asked earlier last year!

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Please find below the kennel information you requested.

Pet Travel Requirements:

Eastbound Requirements: NYC - SOU

The cat or dog must have been:

IN THIS ORDER

* Fitted with a microchip
* Vaccinated against rabies
* Satisfactory blood tested (Will not become valid for entry to the UK for 6 calendar months from the date the blood sample was taken shown in section V.)
* Issued with an official Veterinary Certificate (Regulation (EC) No 998/2003) or official PET Passport
* Treated against ticks and tapeworm not less than 24 hours or more than 48 hours before check-in and issued with an official certificate of treatment

FAILURE TO COMPLETE THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS IN ORDER, WILL RESULT IN YOUR PET BEING DENIED BOARDING.

General Information:
Animals Accepted- Dogs and Cats only - no birds.
Animals are not permitted in guest staterooms nor public areas
There is no Veterinarian onboard
The Kennel is located on deck 12, Aft, Starboard side.

Visiting Hours may vary but are usually as follows:
8:00 am to 10:00 am
11:00 am to 12:00 pm
3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
*Guest should check onboard for specific hours

Kennel Measurements:
6 upper Kennels (27" H, 30" W, 35.5" D) $300 USD for Each Kennel
Weight Restriction 25 lbs or less

6 lower Kennels (36" H, 30" W, 35.5" D) $500 USD for Each Kennel

Pet Measurements should be as follows:

* Pet Height (from floor to shoulder)
* Pet Width (from tip of nose to base of tail)
* Pet weight in pounds

Photos:

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to can call us to check on availability. Below is our contact information:

Kennel Reservations
Phone: (800)-5-CUNARD/800-528-6273
Fax: (661)284-4749
Email: [email protected]
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Council Tax is quite a bit less here than we pay for Taxes back in Canada, our Taxes over there are $2300.00 per year and we have a well for water and our own septic system. Heating was running us about $400.00 for oil until we went to wood heating, and our electric runs us about $100.00 per month there. Here my electric which is also my heating will run me about £150.00 per month in the winter months.
Originally Posted by Rodfan
Hi, Easterndawn

Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ED- you are Welcome!! Glad to hear that things are still ticking along for you!!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Well, I can tell you my costs, if it's any help:

3 BR semi, former council property. North of Glasgow, but not the posh bit (not leafy Bearsden), but not rough either.

Gas and electric averaged to £89 pcm last year (I know because I just moved to direct debit and they estimate monthly payments based on what you spent last year). It's just me and the dog, so a family would cost a bit more b/c of water heating and laundry, etc.

Council tax £89 pcm (but I get single person discount - maybe 20% off???)

TV license is £142.50 (so about a tenner a month) and worth every penny. I have a Freesat box and get dozens of free channels, but get most of what I need from the BBC and ITV channels.

In comparison, in the States, my electric bill (no gas) averaged out to $170 pcm between Jan 2002 and Jun 2005 (OK, so I keep good records, give over with the OCD digs). I paid $40/month for cable (no premium channels), which gave me about as much choice as I have now with Freesat.

Council tax/property tax, well now you're asking ... it's rolled into mortgage payments over there so I am not sure, but think it was about $100 pcm - but I know that in some parts of the States it is horrendously higher than that.
I am in one of those parts for horrendous taxes. My property taxes are over $6000.00. My water and sewer is $180.00 base quarterly plus usage 70-80 per quarter. Gas and electric if on budget $160.00 and dish network $53.74 so the costs in UK would be a lot less for me.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:28 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alba1
I am in one of those parts for horrendous taxes. My property taxes are over $6000.00. My water and sewer is $180.00 base quarterly plus usage 70-80 per quarter. Gas and electric if on budget $160.00 and dish network $53.74 so the costs in UK would be a lot less for me.
Our property taxes are low for our area, as we've had the house a long time. just $1800 a year. Most are way over $2000 a year many close to $5000
But water has shot up, we have no landscaping, just some trees on drippers in the field we call a garden and the water is costing us close to $50 a month (septic so no sewer charge). We've cut back a lot and plumbed the trees to also get the water from the washing machine.
Electric is about $200 a month in summer and $50 a month in winter and gas is $50 a month year round on the plan.
Phone and internet is costing me $90 a month and no cable or satellite, too expensive, minimum $60 a month.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:21 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

What can be expensive is a car. I've moved back here to look after my dad but with the intention of moving back to my family in Africa. Since being away prices have really gone up. The car business I have solved by hiring one for a day twice in a month and being organised and busy. Getting to use public transport is a novelty too and I m surprised that here in rural Essex, there is a bus every hour!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, the public transportation is wonderful here in UK. The only problem I have found is that it can sometimes be time consuming to get where you want to go as you may have to change buses a few times to get to that particular place. As for owning a car, insurance is much less here than in Canada, and I am glad that they enforce the MOT as it keeps very unsafe vehicles off the road. I miss the spontaneity of being able to go somewhere,
instead now I really have to plan where and when I want to go.
Originally Posted by Bijilo123
What can be expensive is a car. I've moved back here to look after my dad but with the intention of moving back to my family in Africa. Since being away prices have really gone up. The car business I have solved by hiring one for a day twice in a month and being organised and busy. Getting to use public transport is a novelty too and I m surprised that here in rural Essex, there is a bus every hour!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.