Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
No Trotty all my Mum wants me to bring her back is a digital camera, she said I just want a nice plain simple to use camera for snap shots, no movies, little does she know that they all I think come with both now,
Rodney.
What make of camera did you end up getting, Rod? Were you able to make use of the information I sent you a while back? I am using my little Nikon Coolpix that I bought on line from Walmart, and it takes great photos. Yes, all the cameras now come with the video component, but you do not have to ever use it. She can just leave it set on Auto and let the camera do all the thinking. When I took photos in London, I had a problem with the shadows of the buildings, as they are so close together. The camera registers the shadow if you are standing between buildings in the shade, but otherwise the results are great. I post them regularly on Flickr so my American friends can see where I have been visiting over here. All the best, Rosie
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney...Below is the number for your Salvation Army pick up in your area. You might try them. My favourite sausages are the plain ones. I am off to the British Store in Peabody for my fix. Will have to last for the winter. Can only manage one visit every 6 months now.

http://qso.com/tsa/stores/lasv.html

ED...I am so happy for you I cannot repeat it often enough. Sounds like you have really found your perfect place. Have to look for a little car.

I going to get my flu shot this afternoon.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
What make of camera did you end up getting, Rod? Were you able to make use of the information I sent you a while back? I am using my little Nikon Coolpix that I bought on line from Walmart, and it takes great photos. Yes, all the cameras now come with the video component, but you do not have to ever use it. She can just leave it set on Auto and let the camera do all the thinking. When I took photos in London, I had a problem with the shadows of the buildings, as they are so close together. The camera registers the shadow if you are standing between buildings in the shade, but otherwise the results are great. I post them regularly on Flickr so my American friends can see where I have been visiting over here. All the best, Rosie
No I havent bought the camera yet, OK thanks for that suggestion on the Nikon coolpix, I will check it out on the Walmart website, looks good,
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Rodney...Below is the number for your Salvation Army pick up in your area. You might try them. My favourite sausages are the plain ones. I am off to the British Store in Peabody for my fix. Will have to last for the winter. Can only manage one visit every 6 months now.

ED...I am so happy for you I cannot repeat it often enough. Sounds like you have really found your perfect place. Have to look for a little car.

Thanks trotty for the link to the salvation army here, I think that is the solution, its funny that when we are stressed we tend not to think of the obvious, all I would have to do is call them up and ask them to pick the two sofas up, they have there big removal size vans dont they,
Rodney,
PS its funny you know Ive lived in Vegas for 14 years and all this time there has been a nice British food store here called British imports I think, I know where its at and I have only gone there to buy certain things about maybe 4 times total, trouble is all the stuff is so expensive,

Last edited by jasper123; Oct 22nd 2010 at 7:44 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

No David afraid not, still working till --- last day Wed 17th October Just a few more days, then I will be officially retired
Then I need to take care of a few things besides getting the rest of my furniture out of my place, and then I am hoping I can take my 500 mile trip from L.V. to Reno, and hopefully stay for a week and visit old friends I have known since the early 80,s oh that would be so nice, my last American (FLING) I would call it,
I dont think I want to drive all that way, Im not too good at long drives anymore, I get too tired, not safe for me or anyone on the road so I will be probably going by Greyhound, leave the driving to them, do you know they have Greyhound in the UK now, my mum told me a few weeks ago,
Then England awaits Just around the corner, and my dream comes true,
Take care David you must be getting very excited, it sounds like you will be leaving about 5 days before me,
Rodney.
I have only taken National Express whilst in the UK but will have to compare with Greyhound. I always found NE to be very good with snack services and movies. Great just sitting back and watching the countryside go by.

Really glad to hear your friend is helping you prepare for your move. It really is very stressful I know. It has been non-stop here for days on end getting ready to move out of here. We are taking quite a lot with us and are in the process of getting quotes. We will store everything in a friend's basement until we come back from England. If we ship now it will just go into storage there and we would rather just have it sent to our new home wherever that may be.
Will post more later....have to run out to do some errands.
Have a great day and try not to get too stressed.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Fish I for sure agree with your last sentence, but when I am back and settled in UK I know I will never take the British life and everything it has to offer for granted ever again, all I ask is Mother England the country I was born and raised in will welcome me with open arms and never let me go again,
I did the early voting today, never voted before, ---- couldn't, but now I became an American citizen this year in February --- I said to myself well why not !!!! It was a nice experience really, so easy too, lines of computers, you Just stand there and make your selections by touch screen and then its printed to the computer and thats it, you hand your card to the staff and they give me a sticker that says (I voted in clark county Nevada) I stuck it on the cover of one of my old expired British Passports as a souvenir,
Rodney.
Hope you voted for the right people Rodney, dont leave us hanging..
Jackie
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:53 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by HighTide

I have only taken National Express whilst in the UK but will have to compare with Greyhound. I always found NE to be very good with snack services and movies. Great just sitting back and watching the countryside go by.
Come to think of it, when I was in London last week, I spotted the "Megabus" coaches which also ply major cities in the UK (although I think mainly university towns). They have Megabuses in the US and Canada; my friend's parents were here a couple of weeks ago on a visit from Australia and took a Megabus from New York City to Washington DC and back, for a really cheap fare:

http://www.megabus.com (for UK, US and Canada)
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Come to think of it, when I was in London last week, I spotted the "Megabus" coaches which also ply major cities in the UK (although I think mainly university towns). They have Megabuses in the US and Canada; my friend's parents were here a couple of weeks ago on a visit from Australia and took a Megabus from New York City to Washington DC and back, for a really cheap fare:

http://www.megabus.com (for UK, US and Canada)
Wow...great fares. I can travel from London to Exeter for 6 pounds o/w if I take an early morning bus. Hopefully someone will pick us up in Exeter.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:09 am
Just Joined

freemee is an unknown quantity at this point

I would try phoning the hire companies and explaining my situation. They have a choice to refuse your business or consider a way they might be able to help you out. I know I had some problems figuring a way to hire a car in the USA when I was the CC holder but not the driver! I wanted to rent the car & get someone else to drive me. Apparently, the renter has to be the driver for insurance purposes! Unless the UK has some convoluted insurance reason, they might work with you on sending a larger payment which they could return to you so long as no damage was done. After all, that's all they need a CC for is to debit any damages/extra charges if they are incurred. Good luck.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

This looks like a good informational web site which could save a few pennies.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/default3.aspx
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I just got back after driving 700 miles today. I made it over Donner Pass without chaining up because it was snowing. I saw someone in a SUV who loss control and drove underneath the trailer of a big rig.

So I'm shaking now from the stress of the long drive. I was on roads in Nevada that were unbelievable. It seems I would go for hours without seeing another car. The speed limit is 70 in that state but I was able to hit 100 on a few occasions. I didn't think I was capable of doing that. I was mostly at around 90mph.

Rod take the bus, although you will miss Tonapah. I stopped there today for a sandwich.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Hi Rosie,
How much did you pay for your little Nikon coolpix? I think I will buy one of those for my Mum, thanks Im not good at choosing things --- too much choice just confuses me, just a simple camera thats all she wants and I need one for myself too, so I will probably just buy two of them,
All the best to you too,
Rodney.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue

Trotty guess what last night when I got home from work I posted an Ad (first time ever) on craigs list for my queen size sofa bed and matching love seat, with pictures, I listed the price for $200, within a few hours by 9am this morning I got 14 replies by email, I picked the first one and contacted him, he came around and loved it bought it but beat me down to $150, not bad he was happy with what he got, and so was I with the price, Wow that craigs list really does get results dont it, he came around with a friend and a big ass ford truck, they loaded them up in just 15 minutes down a flight of stairs,
Rodney.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
I just got back after driving 700 miles today. I made it over Donner Pass without chaining up because it was snowing. I saw someone in a SUV who loss control and drove underneath the trailer of a big rig.

So I'm shaking now from the stress of the long drive. I was on roads in Nevada that were unbelievable. It seems I would go for hours without seeing another car. The speed limit is 70 in that state but I was able to hit 100 on a few occasions. I didn't think I was capable of doing that. I was mostly at around 90mph.

Rod take the bus, although you will miss Tonapah. I stopped there today for a sandwich.
Wow Cheers I bet you were nervous when you saw that SUV go under the big Rig,
Yes the roads in Nevada at times and places on the highway can be very lonely, sometimes you dont see another car for a hundred miles or more, but be aware of the highway patrol they lurk and hide in places you dont see them and all of a sudden when your doing 90 or 100mph there right on your ass,
you were just lucky thats all,
Yes I am going to take the bus, and probably stay for a week, my last American fling !!!
Rodney.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Hope you voted for the right people Rodney, dont leave us hanging..
Jackie
Yeah Jackie I voted for the right people --- and I would never leave you hanging,
I am so glad you got through your nerve racking operation OK, and you sound that you are feeling a lot better now,
Take care\.
Rodney,
PS when are you going to let me treat you to a nice buffet at the Suncoast?
Or even a nice hamburger at my favorite hamburger joint in henderson?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.