Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi all my firends......well firstly PASSED MY CITIZENSHIP inteview yesterday, easy peasy....all that worry for nothing.
Really tired as i had a horrible flight etc that i wll tell all about tomorrow,
BUT wanted to say arrived heathrow at 11.30 a.m and so far have had
One Galaxy
One bag cheese and onion crisps
One Cherry Bakewell.
One scotch egg
One mini pork pie
2 slices hovis brown bread with corned beef and branston and very soon I am having a very large glass of wine.

First impressions, lots and lots of Cars.....and it was peeing down at heathrow when I landed, am I happy? you bet your life I am....
Had to laugh saw the ladies looking pissed off with heavy shopping bags from Iceland, walking.........never see anyone walking with bags where i live in USA.

Please go to Sayers or Greggs and buy a pastie
Marks and Sparks for their ten quid meal deal
Soreen Malt Loaf with lashings of butter
Chesswood Creamed Mushrooms

is it any wonder I put one weight? Have fun Charleygirl, you deserve it.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:47 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DDL
The "Life in the UK Test" I had to take/pass in order to get my UK residency (it is also the same test used for UK Citizenship) was a computerized test of 24 questions. I think you can miss up to 7 questions.

I studied for months and months (reading the study guide and taking online practice tests) beforehand and I found it a very difficult test! There were lots of percentages to know, etc. (But I did pass.)

Try it yourself! http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/1
83% for me, but there were quite a few lucky guesses
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
My brain is already mush.....so no worries there. Who or what is Dh?
You will all have to have patience with me as a new member.
Dh= Dear Husband
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:47 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Hey Rod you can watch Doc Martin on Hulu.com and MI5 and the inspector ones are PBS here it's Saturday and Sunday night but some are repeated during the afternoon in the week. Check you local listings (does that sound very American? )

Another great British drama is "Kingdom" with the actor Stephen Fry (former sidekick of Hugh Laurie) playing a solicitor in a country town in Norfolk....gorgeous scenery:

http://www.hulu.com/kingdom (not available to viewers outside the USA)
Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
83% for me, but there were quite a few lucky guesses
I failed - barely passed page 1 (75%), failed with 70% on page 2, and failed with 66% on page 3 (I couldn't be bothered filling in the whole 45-minute thing).

Some of the questions focus on England, which seems discriminatory as the answer is different in Wales, Scotland, NI (e.g., everyone in Scotland is entitled to a free eye test).

Question 1 on page 2 is nonsense - whoever wrote it can't write English! ("Compulsory test help parents a good indication of their children's progress" True/False) - what the heck does that mean?

Also, Santa Claus is not from the North Pole, he's from Lapland! (and what the heck does that have to do with being British?)

And why would you expect a British resident/citizen to know whether 88%, 90%, or 92% of the Britsh population is white?

Bloody stupid test - I think most Brits couldn't pass it!

On page 3, Q1 says "How many members does The National Assembly for Wales have?", and Q10 is "How many members does the Welsh Assembly have?" - duh, someone was asleep at the wheel ...

Last edited by dunroving; Sep 26th 2010 at 3:21 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I failed - barely passed page 1 (75%), failed with 70% on page 2, and failed with 66% on page 3 (I couldn't be bothered filling in the whole 45-minute thing).

Some of the questions focus on England, which seems discriminatory as the answer is different in Wales, Scotland, NI (e.g., everyone in Scotland is entitled to a free eye test).

Question 1 on page 2 is nonsense - whoever wrote it can't write English! ("Compulsory test help parents a good indication of their children's progress" True/False) - what the heck does that mean?

Also, Santa Claus is not from the North Pole, he's from Lapland! (and what the heck does that have to do with being British?)

And why would you expect a British resident/citizen to know whether 88%, 90%, or 92% of the Britsh population is white?

Bloody stupid test - I think most Brits couldn't pass it!

On page 3, Q1 says "How many members does The National Assembly for Wales have?", and Q10 is "How many members does the Welsh Assembly have?" - duh, someone was asleep at the wheel ...
Hi Dunroving, I couldnt agree more, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks its a weird test, those percentages were so close and pointless, The question about controlled Drugs asking if they were legal fooled me, it seemed double dutch.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Second week at work is over and things continue to be great. Was asked if I could work yesterday and as I had not particular plans went in for 7 hours. Manager picked me up in the morning, brought lunch in for all the staff working and then drove me home, how is that for service. We worked, we laughed and it seemed like I had been there for years.

Went to TK Max and bought a couple of new things for my apartment, a couple of fantastic bedroom lamps that I had been eying up for the past couple of weeks and yesterday was on sale. I had purchased from a charity shop a lovely old chest that someone had hand painted with a beautiful design, this has now become my "hope chest" which is becoming filled with all the things I find, need and can afford to put in my new home, not only will it become a beautiful piece of furniture but is great for packing and moving.

I find myself looking forward to what the 2nd year has to bring, I know that there will still be some downs but after this year I also know that I can get through them. It is a beautiful sunny day here this morning, and I hope all those who are here visiting or have just moved back are enjoying this weather.
Oh Ed, Im so very happy for you, now that things seem to be going in the right directions, you seem so happy, thats the way it should be, good for you lass.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh Sally I have about 50 pics of my Orrest Head walks, I did it about 3 times sooooo beautiful and I love Keswick too, well lets face it I love the whole Lake District, all being well I am going again in March . My nephew is getting married and he and his intended are getting married in our grim Northern town and then everybody is heading off to Bowness on Windermere where they have booked a restaurant for the day for the reception........its about 5 doors from where I lived and the owner was my next door neighbour, I can't wait!!!
Hi Barbara, Its nice to see you post again, I sure hope you get to make the trip over in March, I really do...
Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Dh= Dear Husband
Mummy and Celtic,
he he he he
I have to admit that I knew that when you ladies were saying (DH) all this time I knew it was your husbands that you were talking about ---- but I did not have a clue what the two letters stood for ----- so thanks celtic for answering that question,
Rodney.
PS so for men talking about there wives is (DW) alright to use?
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Mummy and Celtic,
he he he he
I have to admit that I knew that when you ladies were saying (DH) all this time I knew it was your husbands that you were talking about ---- but I did not have a clue what the two letters stood for ----- so thanks celtic for answering that question,
Rodney.
PS so for men talking about there wives is (DW) alright to use?
Come on, Jasper, you know it's SWMBO, right?
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Second week at work is over and things continue to be great. Was asked if I could work yesterday and as I had not particular plans went in for 7 hours. Manager picked me up in the morning, brought lunch in for all the staff working and then drove me home, how is that for service. We worked, we laughed and it seemed like I had been there for years.

Went to TK Max and bought a couple of new things for my apartment, a couple of fantastic bedroom lamps that I had been eying up for the past couple of weeks and yesterday was on sale. I had purchased from a charity shop a lovely old chest that someone had hand painted with a beautiful design, this has now become my "hope chest" which is becoming filled with all the things I find, need and can afford to put in my new home, not only will it become a beautiful piece of furniture but is great for packing and moving.

I find myself looking forward to what the 2nd year has to bring, I know that there will still be some downs but after this year I also know that I can get through them. It is a beautiful sunny day here this morning, and I hope all those who are here visiting or have just moved back are enjoying this weather.
Lovely post Ed,
I am so happy for you that your Job has worked out for you and that you like it, and the people you work with including the Manager sound so nice,
Keep filling that hope chest and your husband and your lovely dogs will be with you shortly I am sure,
Keep up the good work, and stay happy,
The first year really sucked for you dear lady but this second year and every year after that I strongly feel is going to be great from now on,

Feel very proud of yourself Pegie, cause you have come through the very worst, and now you deserve the very best !!!!
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Sally, I am so happy you had a great time. I dont know what it is but I just love the people here......today I am going to Asda for a bargain hunt and to bring back Starbucks for my mum......
have a great day everyone.....Rodney, it will soon be your turn, er I had to painfully watch Pompey beat my beloved Leicester City 6-1 Friday night on Sky Sports.......
Chaleygirl so happy that you are having a wonderful time,
Pompey beat Leicester Huh, well its about time, I hope this means that they will be climbing that football leage ladder from now on,
My Mum will be pleased about that, and I know she watched the game, she loves watching football on TV, and although I absolutely hate American football, ( too darn slow) I love Soccer, and I will be watching all the games with my Mum shortly, you should hear her yell and scream when a team gets a goal, shes funny,
OK take care,
Rodney.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Come on, Jasper, you know it's SWMBO, right?
I can never figure that one out. Single white male something or other??
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I can never figure that one out. Single white male something or other??
I think it means "She who must be obeyed"
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Sally,
Yes I was going to have a few shots at home before leaving for the airport, I always do, but my flight leaves at 10.30am so my friend is going to pick me up and drive me to the airport at 7am be there by 7.30am (airport is only half hour drive from where I live) Well Im not a lush and I know early morning is too early for me to drink (BUT) I need to be relaxed on the plane, so be it,
I am certainly not forking out $7 for a wee shot of booze

Sally, you and fish were dead right about the people in UK, Its all about the people, they are friendly and chatty, and I guess we know that we are home when we feel surrounded by love from our family and friends,
Plus all the other things over there that we have missed for so long, but the love is really what we miss, and the sincerity of peoples friendship,
And yes its so true that when we were young we all here had the adventure in us, and so we left our home to try a brand new life somewhere else,
and a lot of us on here have lived a good part of our lives away from home,
Most of our young years, but when we get older, then our hearts are longing for UK, and I think thats the way most people are,
But one thing is for sure, ---- If we feel now that when we were young that we took the UK for granted ------ being away from our home for so long makes us all really appreciate what we have when we return to the nest,
Take care,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.