Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Keep your fingers crossed the house is back on the market, hopefully it will sell. This is the third time and its with Century 21. Call it coincidence but our first house in California was sold through Century 21 and our sencond house in Rhode Island was sold through Century 21. So here we are our third house and the third selling though 21 Lets hope thats lucky
Did you bury St Joseph in the garden
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cigi
Hello all :-)

Well I booked my ticket for a visit to the UK. I fly on Sept 4th, returning on Sept 13th.

Been here in the States since 1995 and although I'm a way off retirement age (56) we plan on returning to the UK when the time comes.
My wife inherited a tiny house when her Dad passed away shortly before Christmas of last year and we plan on renting it out and have my daughter run things for us. We did consider selling it but the market is so depressed at the moment keeping it seemed a better move.
Then, having thought about it, the idea of retiring there seemed to get more and more appealing. I have 26 years of NI contributions which I'm looking into topping up to 30 years if possible so I'd get a full pension.
My wife has a small index linked pension to come from her years working for the Civil Service plus what we can scrape together from our house sale here and other bits and pieces, perhaps we could manage?

Anyroad, I'm hoping to hang around this thread and pick up any useful info that's available and perhaps share with you anything I learn too.

Cigi.
Sounds like a great plan, good luck with the move.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:30 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the thread, Cigi!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Cigi... Hello and dont sell the house that will be a great place for you to hang your hat when its time to go home. This forum will really give you some helpful hints. I cannot tell you how many people would love a little place waiting back home for them including me.

DDL. Thankyou for the Karma, hope things went well for you

Mummy in the foothills..... I did bury St. Joseph and then last year when we took the house off the market I went to the top of the road and dug around looking for him and could not find him. I have directed the new estate agent to plant the for sale sign in the same area.

Today is carpet shampoo day and getting rid of more furniture to the Salvation army. They come next week so I thought I might as well do it now. My children do not want our furniture they would rather new. When I was young I would have jumped at furniture old or not.

Thankyou everyone else who sent good wishes for the sale. Not sure I can do this again. I am tired of keeping everything neat and out of sight or as real estate agents say pack it away of give it away. Life is on hold for so long.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:02 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Did you bury St Joseph in the garden
Hmmm, I had forgotten about good ol' St. Joseph! I don't have a statue but in this Age of Technology I wonder if a color print-out of his 3D image would work??????
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Cigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
Welcome to the thread, Cigi!
Thanks.
I've just been reading about your travel plans for the return home.
Worra way to go!!!

I've dug out my NI number and will send off for a pension projection in the next few days. I want to be organised, just in case I get the chance to finish a few years earlier

Whilst digging around I found my original driving licence (little red book type) and the "newer" slip of paper type one too.

And, my very first wage slip from April 1969.
I was on 3/2p an hour..........................

Cigi.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Cigi... Hello and dont sell the house that will be a great place for you to hang your hat when its time to go home. This forum will really give you some helpful hints. I cannot tell you how many people would love a little place waiting back home for them including me.

DDL. Thankyou for the Karma, hope things went well for you

Mummy in the foothills..... I did bury St. Joseph and then last year when we took the house off the market I went to the top of the road and dug around looking for him and could not find him. I have directed the new estate agent to plant the for sale sign in the same area.

Today is carpet shampoo day and getting rid of more furniture to the Salvation army. They come next week so I thought I might as well do it now. My children do not want our furniture they would rather new. When I was young I would have jumped at furniture old or not.

Thankyou everyone else who sent good wishes for the sale. Not sure I can do this again. I am tired of keeping everything neat and out of sight or as real estate agents say pack it away of give it away. Life is on hold for so long.
Send me your Couch, Dh says ours looks too tatty for anyone to see, too many kids jumping on the cushions. So I have to find a used one that's cheap and makes the living room look better when the time comes
I say we should shampoo it and throw some throws in strategic areas
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 12:10 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Surefit slipcovers. We had two beautiful cream-colored sofas that were utterly destroyed by our cats, so we just covered them with Surefit covers and they look fine. You can order online or they sell them at Bed Bath and Beyond.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 3:02 am
Just Joined

Cigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really nice

I cannot tell you how many people would love a little place waiting back home for them including me.

Really?

Oh, err, yes, err, now I've reread that, err, .......cough
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops See how that can be misread
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Ooops See how that can be misread
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep your fingers crossed the house is back on the market, hopefully it will sell. This is the third time and its with Century 21. Call it coincidence but our first house in California was sold through Century 21 and our sencond house in Rhode Island was sold through Century 21. So here we are our third house and the third selling though 21 Lets hope thats lucky
Good luck Trotty and Denise, hope you sell your houses soon, :f ingerscrossed:
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Welcome Cigi! This is an awesome thread that we all greatly benefit from. I just love all of the daily updates on how everyone is doing. You will certainly gather a lot of information from all these wonderful folks on here. Good luck with your move back home when the time comes. Sounds like a great setup you will have
I second that Cigi, welcome, I dont mind telling you that I dont no what I would have done without all these people on here, they are all wonderful,
For one thing I still wouldn't be a US citizen yet if it wasn't for so many people on this thread pushing me and telling me how easy it was, I applied for it and got it all done in record time,
But I have received help for so many other things, too many to mention,
Rodney,
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cigi
Thanks.
I've just been reading about your travel plans for the return home.
Worra way to go!!!

I've dug out my NI number and will send off for a pension projection in the next few days. I want to be organised, just in case I get the chance to finish a few years earlier

Whilst digging around I found my original driving licence (little red book type) and the "newer" slip of paper type one too.

And, my very first wage slip from April 1969.
I was on 3/2p an hour..........................

Cigi.
Yes that seems about right for 1969 it works out to about 10 pounds a week,
I think I was making about the same at the Portsmouth Dockyard then,
I do remember that my first Job I had when I left school in 1960 was
2 pounds 10 shillings a week for 5 & half days full time, I was a van boy with the co-op bakery --- delivering bread to peoples houses,
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

trotty good luck!!!!!! fingers crossed.
I used to earn 17s 6 a for working at woolies back in 1968......on a saturday!
Cigi welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.