Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Apr 1st 2013, 3:11 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Well just as a follow up to my post yesterday about Sunday dinner, it happened just the way I thought it would. To top it all off now I'm looking at a kitchen full of pots, pans and dishes all sitting there ready for me to do the washing up. Oh for crying out loud! LOL
Old Apr 1st 2013, 3:13 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes we had that all the time once they had banned smoking inside, but they then banned smoking in the hospital AND it's grounds. That stopped them.
They did that in Australia too and it didn't stop the dedicated smokers..lol. You would drive past and see them standing on the very edge of the property near the main road, holding onto the drip pole and having a ciggie. LOL
Old Apr 1st 2013, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Well just as a follow up to my post yesterday about Sunday dinner, it happened just the way I thought it would. To top it all off now I'm looking at a kitchen full of pots, pans and dishes all sitting there ready for me to do the washing up. Oh for crying out loud! LOL
Oh no, wait what? You really did cook? You are a trooper! Never mind, not too long now, and you will only have to answer for yourself
Old Apr 1st 2013, 5:28 am
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Oh no, wait what? You really did cook? You are a trooper! Never mind, not too long now, and you will only have to answer for yourself
Yes I did ! All done while everyone else was sitting around the table chatting

I think that's just ONE of the things I'm looking forward to...just having to take care of ME and being able to do what I want, when I want, watch what I want etc etc. Oh the joy !!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 9:34 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did ! All done while everyone else was sitting around the table chatting

I think that's just ONE of the things I'm looking forward to...just having to take care of ME and being able to do what I want, when I want, watch what I want etc etc. Oh the joy !!!!!!!!!!
You are a trooper but what a horrible bunch of rude people they are! Thank God you will be out of there in a week and will be able to have your life back at last!

When I was in my early 20's I worked as a nanny in California and it was the worst year of my life. The first family I worked for had two small brats and the mother never worked a day in her life. I had to have 4 wisdom teeth out and the next day the woman came into my room, dragged me out of bed (even though I'd agreed a day off) and made me serve her children their cereal as she was "too busy" that morning. I promptly found another job and she wrote to my mother and told her she brought me up poorly. My mother rang her up and gave her what for telling her "my daughter is NOT a servant, and she has more manners in her little finger than you do in your whole body!" - good old Mum lol!

The second family was one of those annoying families who tell everyone they are 'Irish' and gave me a job purely on the fact my father is the real McCoy! They had two awful brats aged 8 and 10. I did all their washing/breakfasts/took them to school/activities. their 20 year old son came home from college and I was very very surprised to find all his clothes (inc skiddy underpants!) dumped on the laundry floor - which I chose to ignore. I then got yelled at by the woman I worked for but I refused to do it stating it was not my job. She then asked me what I was doing for Xmas. Told her I was spending it with friends and she said "Oh no, I need you here to help cook the dinner. The neighbours are coming over, you can wait on us at the table and then you can wash up while we go next door to the neighbours for desert. I will give you an extra $100 and I want you to wear an apron" WTF???? I said "Do I have to wear a maid's outfit and call you Miz Scarlett?" She looked confused but then a lot of Americans don't get sarcasm do they?!!

I was incensed, no way was I doing it, so the next day I called a friend to come get me, packed my things and bought a plane ticket. Then I took the juice from the fridge and emptied a bottle of eye drops into it (gives you the shits) and left! Well they gave me the shits so I thought it was only fair lol!

For years after I hated America and I refused point blank to ever return, then I went on a trip to NYC with friends 10 years later and I fell in love with the city and have been back frequently. In 2004 I travelled right across the US from LA to NYC and it was great, I love the US for holidays but I'd never want to live there again

Last edited by MissBetty; Apr 1st 2013 at 9:40 am.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 9:42 am
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by MissBetty
You are a trooper but what a horrible bunch of rude people they are! Thank God you will be out of there in a week and will be able to have your life back at last!

When I was in my early 20's I worked as a nanny in California and it was the worst year of my life. The first family I worked for had two small brats and the mother never worked a day in her life. I had to have 4 wisdom teeth out and the next day the woman came into my room, dragged me out of bed (even though I'd agreed a day off) and made me serve her children their cereal as she was "too busy" that morning. I promptly found another job and she wrote to my mother and told her she brought me up poorly. My mother rang her up and gave her what for telling her "my daughter is NOT a servant, and she has more manners in her little finger than you do in your whole body!" - good old Mum lol!

The second family was one of those annoying families who tell everyone they are 'Irish' and gave me a job purely on the fact my father is the real McCoy! They had two awful brats aged 8 and 10. I did all their washing/breakfasts/took them to school/activities. their 20 year old son came home from college and I was very very surprised to find all his clothes (inc skiddy underpants!) dumped on the laundry floor - which I chose to ignore. I then got yelled at by the woman I worked for but I refused to do it stating it was not my job. She then asked me what I was doing for Xmas. Told her I was spending it with friends and she said "Oh no, I need you here to help cook the dinner. The neighbours are coming over, you can wait on us at the table and then you can wash up while we go next door to the neighbours for desert. I will give you an extra $100 and I want you to wear an apron" WTF???? I said "Do I have to wear a maid's outfit and call you Miz Scarlett?" She looked confused but then a lot of Americans don't get sarcasm do they?!!

I was incensed, no way was I doing it, so the next day I called a friend to come get me, packed my things and bought a plane ticket. Then I took the juice from the fridge and emptied a bottle of eye drops into it (gives you the shits) and left! Well they gave me the shits so I thought it was only fair lol!

For years after I hated America and I refused point blank to ever return, then I went on a trip to NYC with friends 10 years later and I fell in love with the city and have been back frequently. In 2004 I travelled right across the US from LA to NYC and it was great, I love the US for holidays but I'd never want to live there again
I wouldn't say 'rude', more insensitive LOL If you add to that the Dad sitting in his chair at night with a pint glass of scotch and coke...6 pints later he's snoring......then he wakes up an hour or two later, goes to the fridge and gets another pint of scotch and coke, sits down in the chair and promptly falls asleep again. I just want to pull my hair out... Oh I could go on and on about it all, but what's the point? I think the part that annoys me the most, is not that I do things around the house...it is only fair as they took me in...it's just that I don't think anyone knows how to say the words THANK YOU!!!!!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 9:54 am
Iwannagohome.

pintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nice

[QUOTE=MissBetty;10634602]
Originally Posted by pintaguiness-pickledegg

Lol! You are very welcome re the laughs, it keeps me sane to share on here as can't do that on Facebook anymore, got into so much trouble over that one but hey, that's another story............ Yes back in good old Hastings soon, where in Kent are you from?

Anyways I see that you are new on here so I'd just like to say a BIG welcome to BE They are a brilliant group of people on here and if you want any info, advice or just need to vent then just start up a thread - you will get heaps of advice, support and sympathy I promise you!

Yes the old complaints business, I guess after a while I just got tired of being scared about that. I don't deserve to be abused in my workplace, I'm a good paramedic, I work hard and I go the extra mile for my patients so I'm not taking crap off idiots - no way Jose!

I'm careful though, I don't shout or swear at people and I'm different with different people. Young drunk rude patients get a lecture and I call their parents (snigger!),nasty/violent people? I just get up and walk off with them yelling after me "You can't do that, I'm sick!!" Oh really? Yes I bloody can - just watch me - there you go, there's my arse, walking out the door - bye bye!!!! Snotty posh people just get an icy stare, a heavy sigh and complete silence - how can they complain if I haven't actually SAID anything?!

I rarely get complaints funnily enough. One in the past 5 years, a German woman who told me her husband was 'fitting' when he was in fact shivering. I pointed this out to her as she was complaining we took so long. We had just been to a nasty car accident and there they were, standing OUTSIDE their house, bags packed, ON THE SAME ROAD AS THE HOSPITAL - yup. She told me I was an idiot if I couldn't see he was 'fitting' I told her I thought she should get herself an English dictionary and learn the difference between fitting and shivering - it didn't go down too well! She complained, I told my boss I didn't care and it was pure prejudice - she didn't like me cos I was English pure and simple. Then I mentioned the war...................

The complaint went nowhere

Sorry, not sure I'm quoting correctly, can someone redirect to me a thread where I can quote the same way?
That aside, I'm with you on the above. A 'look' can say a thousand words! What can they complain about..... "I didn't like the way that nurse looked at me when I asked if my girlfriend could stay the night in my bed"! Yes, it happens all the time. I'm staggered at what some patients get away with in NZ hospitals. I just discourage anything I see as unacceptable and hope that they don't complain. Your'e right-you want to be there, do a good job for your patients and help them as much as possible and then the minority completely ruin that philosophy and make us all a little more cynical!
But hey, 'you get what you settle for' as a wise woman once said (in a film I think?)
Thanks also for the welcome Miss Betty and yes, it seems a great forum to vent and read a wide range of opinions and advice. Oh and as you asked, I'm from Dover (beautiful castle and coast, not much else, nevertheless I still miss it!)
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:16 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say 'rude', more insensitive LOL If you add to that the Dad sitting in his chair at night with a pint glass of scotch and coke...6 pints later he's snoring......then he wakes up an hour or two later, goes to the fridge and gets another pint of scotch and coke, sits down in the chair and promptly falls asleep again. I just want to pull my hair out... Oh I could go on and on about it all, but what's the point? I think the part that annoys me the most, is not that I do things around the house...it is only fair as they took me in...it's just that I don't think anyone knows how to say the words THANK YOU!!!!!
Well after next week they'll have to do it all themselves so maybe then they will appreciate you?!!!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:24 am
Yorkshire Lass

Well after next week they'll have to do it all themselves so maybe then they will appreciate you?!!!
The way things are going it might be the week after

I just did a web chat with the passport office in DC and because of Easter the UK offices were closed on Friday and today. They've had my application and been processing it since Feb 20th and they say it takes UP TO 6 weeks, which is up on Wednesday. But the lady I spoke to said it is in the 'approval' stage which is the last stage before it gets sent to the UK for printing. Then it can take up to 2 days for it to be printed and then another 5 business days after that to actually receive the passport. So unless my math is incredibly bad it doesn't look like I'll get my passport in time to fly out on April 9th.

Although I have friends who have told me that once the passport is printed it usually comes overnight delivery by DHL, so fingers crossed.

Either way I can't do anything until I get my passport !

Sorry to rant!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:28 am
Practical Paramedic

[QUOTE=pintaguiness-pickledegg;10635432]

Sorry, not sure I'm quoting correctly, can someone redirect to me a thread where I can quote the same way?
That aside, I'm with you on the above. A 'look' can say a thousand words! What can they complain about..... "I didn't like the way that nurse looked at me when I asked if my girlfriend could stay the night in my bed"! Yes, it happens all the time. I'm staggered at what some patients get away with in NZ hospitals. I just discourage anything I see as unacceptable and hope that they don't complain. Your'e right-you want to be there, do a good job for your patients and help them as much as possible and then the minority completely ruin that philosophy and make us all a little more cynical!
But hey, 'you get what you settle for' as a wise woman once said (in a film I think?)
Thanks also for the welcome Miss Betty and yes, it seems a great forum to vent and read a wide range of opinions and advice. Oh and as you asked, I'm from Dover (beautiful castle and coast, not much else, nevertheless I still miss it!)
There is a thread on MBTTUK forum at the top about how to quote posts but you're doing just fine! Oh I like Dover, you are not that far from me really!

How do you find it working as a nurse in NZ compared to the UK? I must admit I find the nurses here, on the whole, to be rude and sullen - nothing like British ED nurses. I always got on really well with the nurses back home but here it seems to be 'them and 'us' - very strange! I lost a lot of my skills too when I came here and they told me I'd have to retrain for 18 months - what to intubate when I'd done it for 10 years already? No thanks! So happy I kept up my HPC registration and I'm going on a course once I am back to update my skills!

I take my hat off to all nurses, its such a hard job not to mention getting through the training in the first place! I trained for 6 months as a nurse but left due to the bullying on the wards (ED was fine). I thought it would help me as a paramedic and give me another string to my bow, also I wanted to go to Australia and a nursing visa was a sure way in!

It made me so miserable and one day one of my elderly patients said to me "Why are you doing this? You've lost all your sparkle and you are so unhappy dear." I told her I wanted to go to Australia and it was the only way due to my age (I was 39 at the time). She told me if I was meant to go I would and that life was too short to waste it, I quit the next day. 2 years later I was on my way to Australia with my permanent residency visa as a paramedic, it would seem guardian angels come in all forms eh?
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:32 am
Practical Paramedic

I just did a web chat with the passport office in DC and because of Easter the UK offices were closed on Friday and today. They've had my application and been processing it since Feb 20th and they say it takes UP TO 6 weeks, which is up on Wednesday. But the lady I spoke to said it is in the 'approval' stage which is the last stage before it gets sent to the UK for printing. Then it can take up to 2 days for it to be printed and then another 5 business days after that to actually receive the passport. So unless my math is incredibly bad it doesn't look like I'll get my passport in time to fly out on April 9th.

Although I have friends who have told me that once the passport is printed it usually comes overnight delivery by DHL, so fingers crossed.

Sorry to rant!
Arrghhhh! How bloody annoying is that?! for you, have you got your ticket yet? If so can you change it?
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:34 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!! I have now read all the way through this thread. Oh my goodness. At the beginning, I was thinking - Me too, that's exactly how I feel, I think I'll fall on my sword. Then, as I read more, I was laughing out loud. Great thread. Very inspiring!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:35 am
Yorkshire Lass

Arrghhhh! How bloody annoying is that?! for you, have you got your ticket yet? If so can you change it?
Haven't got my ticket yet thank goodness. I thought I should wait until I actually had my passport in my hand first JUST IN CASE!!! Glad I waited, although the delay makes me want to bawl like a baby ! I have visions of me getting my passport on Monday, booking my ticket on Monday and flying out Tuesday morning......what a hectic day that would be LOL
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:42 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
WOW!! I have now read all the way through this thread. Oh my goodness. At the beginning, I was thinking - Me too, that's exactly how I feel, I think I'll fall on my sword. Then, as I read more, I was laughing out loud. Great thread. Very inspiring!
PMSL! Welcome to the 'troppo' thread, I tell people things on here I wouldn't tell my own family as my BE 'family' forgive me for being a bit bad tempered and bonkers lol!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to rant!
How in heaven's name is your passport taking sooo long! Mine took 10 days!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.