Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

So if I could just hijack this thread for one quick point: you know how some of us have been talking about how family have been less than inviting. Well, I emailed a relative whose address I had lost when my computer last crashed, because my daughter wanted to send him her graduation announcement. (We were already alerted to the fact that he didn't want us to expect he would put us up or anything when we came back- we weren't asking, but I could sense it in his response to us coming back. "Oh, I surprised." And then nothing else despite 2 email to him since.)

ANYWAY, I digress...so his response to this was, why can't you just scan it and email it? Am I too far off field to interpret this as meaning, don't expect me to send her any money (AGAIN, not expecting anything), so maybe if you just send it that way I can quickly look it over and delete it from the inbox and my memory? I don't know, I think I would rather have the card in my hand, even if I planned on tossing it in the bin later, or at least pretend I am interested in seeing it Am I totally off base here. paranoid maybe?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:21 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
So if I could just hijack this thread for one quick point: you know how some of us have been talking about how family have been less than inviting. Well, I emailed a relative whose address I had lost when my computer last crashed, because my daughter wanted to send him her graduation announcement. (We were already alerted to the fact that he didn't want us to expect he would put us up or anything when we came back- we weren't asking, but I could sense it in his response to us coming back. "Oh, I surprised." And then nothing else despite 2 email to him since.)

ANYWAY, I digress...so his response to this was, why can't you just scan it and email it? Am I too far off field to interpret this as meaning, don't expect me to send her any money (AGAIN, not expecting anything), so maybe if you just send it that way I can quickly look it over and delete it from the inbox and my memory? I don't know, I think I would rather have the card in my hand, even if I planned on tossing it in the bin later, or at least pretend I am interested in seeing it Am I totally off base here. paranoid maybe?
It doesn't sound paranoid in the slightest, although in this day and age nearly everyone prefers the ease of email rather than the traditional 'snail mail', because they get things quicker instead of waiting for the postman. Still sad though!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I quite agree with your line of thinking. He should WANT to have the paper copy in his hand and should treasure it - unless he is the type of person who doesn't treasure such things, of course.

Even the suggestion of scanning and emailing is one I would have taken to mean "keep your distance".

I get similar responses from my half sister over there. I don't even bother any more. She did at one point say it was "ok" that I could stay with her for a while but made it clear I had to pay my way (well, of course, I would!). However, she didn't want my cats to be indoor cats as they are here. I told her she lived on a main road and they would be strangers there so in no way would I allow them outside. I wouldn't dream of jeopardizing their safety!

I then asked about the home her daughter rents out - oh no, someone already lives there. Fine! Anyway, since that time, her daughter lost her job and has moved in with her mother, my half sister. Her three children (teenagers) also moved in. I suppose the tenant was still in the home she rents out.

Through the childrens' posts on Facebook, I have got to know them quite well and now there is no way I would want to move in with all of them, even if there was room. My half sister grew up with my father's first wife (they were only married 2 or 3 years) from the age of 4, whereas I grew up with my father and my own mother - two totally different lifestyles and lives, one in England and one in Scotland.

I was mortified when I saw some of the teenager's posts on Facebook!!!!! I was even mortified at some of my half-sister's daughter's posts on Facebook!

My half sister is slightly (at the very least) whacko anyway! She bought a period home that is a total wreck and now she has no money to do it up! Feet not firmly on the ground, I'm afraid. Her previous employer left her a lump sum of cash in his will and she was able to buy it "cash" using ALL the money he left her! Her only income is her pension (so she says!) and she ploughed all that money into a home that needs some serious work. And if the housing market deteriorates, so does her money in the house. It's nowhere near as nice as some of the normal, non-period homes that Cheers has posted over the months for the same or less money.

If I moved in with them, I'd run away the first week!

Last edited by windsong; Mar 29th 2013 at 4:39 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:35 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Well I think I'm having my own TROPPO moment Which is another reason I will be glad to get my passport and get out of here.

Don't get me wrong, the friends I'm staying with are great and I love them to death. They took me in and put a roof over my head, but that's where it deviated..lol. I am chief cook and bottle washer. I do the cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing and washing the dishes. It's almost as though they know I'll do it, so they leave everything. I'm not a tidy freak by any means, but I do like things to look nice, and when people just leave things laying around and not throw anything away even though there's a garbage bin 2 feet away, just about make me want to scream!!! Don't even get me started on the bathroom and the piles of dirty clothes laying on the floor when the washing machine is 5ft away ..lol
Okay, rant over !
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I quite agree with your line of thinking. He should WANT to have the paper copy in his hand and should treasure it - unless he is the type of person who doesn't treasure such things, of course.

Even the suggestion of scanning and emailing is one I would have taken to mean "keep your distance".

I get similar responses from my half sister over there. I don't even bother any more. She did at one point say it was "ok" that I could stay with her for a while but made it clear I had to pay my way (well, of course, I would!). However, she didn't want my cats to be indoor cats as they are here. I told her she lived on a main road and they would be strangers there so in no way would I allow them outside. I wouldn't dream of jeopardizing their safety!

I then asked about the home her daughter rents out - oh no, someone already lives there. Fine! Anyway, since that time, her daughter lost her job and has moved in with her mother, my half sister. Her three children (teenagers) also moved in. I suppose the tenant was still in the home she rents out.

Through the childrens' posts on Facebook, I have got to know them quite well and now there is no way I would want to move in with all of them, even if there was room. My half sister grew up with my father's first wife (they were only married 2 or 3 years) from the age of 4, whereas I grew up with my father and my own mother - two totally different lifestyles and lives.

I was mortified when I saw some of the teenager's posts on Facebook!!!!! I was even mortified at some of my half-sister's daughter's posts on Facebook!

My half sister is slightly whacko anyway! She bought a period home that is a total wreck and now she has no money to do it up! Feet not firmly on the ground, I'm afraid. Her previous employer left her a lump sum of cash in his will and she was able to buy it - cash outright! Her only income is her pension (so she says!) and she ploughed all that money into a home that needs some serious work.

If I moved in with them, I'd run away the first week!
You make a good point. If family behave a certain way, we should take our cues and make our exit I am afraid now, though, that my daughter has already addressed the announcement to him. If she has not sent it yet, should I tell her not to, and scan it as asked? As it is I have decided to only announce when we will be in London on our recon trip and not ask to see them, and see how he responds. My daughter is a beautiful, intelligent, sweet girl (and I'm not biased in the least ) so it is his loss. Sad indeed Whofan...

Sorry Betty (where the hell is that back to topic emoticon?)
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Well I think I'm having my own TROPPO moment Which is another reason I will be glad to get my passport and get out of here.

Don't get me wrong, the friends I'm staying with are great and I love them to death. They took me in and put a roof over my head, but that's where it deviated..lol. I am chief cook and bottle washer. I do the cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing and washing the dishes. It's almost as though they know I'll do it, so they leave everything. I'm not a tidy freak by any means, but I do like things to look nice, and when people just leave things laying around and not throw anything away even though there's a garbage bin 2 feet away, just about make me want to scream!!! Don't even get me started on the bathroom and the piles of dirty clothes laying on the floor when the washing machine is 5ft away ..lol
Okay, rant over !
OMG!!! That would drive me nuts! I am a neat nick - not obsessive about it, though!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Okay, rant over !
Oh no, that doesn't sound good! Well, I am glad you will be on your way soon back HOME
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:45 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Oh no, that doesn't sound good! Well, I am glad you will be on your way soon back HOME
Thanks Just having one of those days ! lol
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Miss Betty - let us know if things progress with possible job with the American. Perth - think your relative is saying they really can't be arsed to attend..
Old Mar 29th 2013, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
Miss Betty - let us know if things progress with possible job with the American. Perth - think your relative is saying they really can't be arsed to attend..
Well, they know I don't expect them to come all the way from London! But, I thought maybe they would be happy to receive the announcement. After all, she is a member of the family and she is graduating from university. Two very good reasons to at least pretend you care But thanks, fulwood, I need to just get over the fact that some families do 'have 'em
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Just having one of those days ! lol
Haha, well how bad is this? I couldn't wait to get a friend off the phone this morning so I could get on BE! I found I wasn't interested in anything she had to say (as well as any of my responses, lol) because it had nothing to do with going home.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:07 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Haha, well how bad is this? I couldn't wait to get a friend off the phone this morning so I could get on BE! I found I wasn't interested in anything she had to say (as well as any of my responses, lol) because it had nothing to do with going home.
I can understand that too..lol. Apart from the fact there's also a 20 year old in the house who says I'm not allowed to leave and he's going to hide my passport when it gets here (probably because I do everything for him..lol) I'm the same way. If I happen to mention something about my passport or home or my airline ticket it's a rapid change of subject, the TV goes on and the channel changed to the Western channel or the Military channel.

Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can understand that too..lol. Apart from the fact there's also a 20 year old in the house who says I'm not allowed to leave and he's going to hide my passport when it gets here (probably because I do everything for him..lol) I'm the same way. If I happen to mention something about my passport or home or my airline ticket it's a rapid change of subject, the TV goes on and the channel changed to the Western channel or the Military channel.

Maybe he has a wee crush on you
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:10 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Maybe he has a wee crush on you
Nah! He's got a beautiful 18 year old girlfriend..they're talking marriage already LOL

I think I'm more of a substitute mother. The entire family seem to think me and his Dad would get together...lol
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

It becomes an obsession, doesn't it? It's because it is the dream of a lifetime, to go home

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.