Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Wikiposts

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:13 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by windsong
It becomes an obsession, doesn't it? It's because it is the dream of a lifetime, to go home
It does become an obsession after a while...once the decision has been made and the ball is rolling, it just seems that it is all a person can think about. We just want to make that dream a reality and start our new lives back home, and we can't understand why other people can't share that joy with us..LOL. Then again we talk about it so much they're probably sick to death of hearing about it and can't wait to get rid of us so they don't have to hear about it anymore..
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
It does become an obsession after a while...once the decision has been made and the ball is rolling, it just seems that it is all a person can think about. We just want to make that dream a reality and start our new lives back home, and we can't understand why other people can't share that joy with us..LOL. Then again we talk about it so much they're probably sick to death of hearing about it and can't wait to get rid of us so they don't have to hear about it anymore..
It's a real problem, I think, when you can't leave for 3 more years, though
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:32 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I know, and my heart goes out to you! I personally would be climbing the walls, although if i had a job to go to everyday it probably would help to have something to keep my mind occupied. I'm not working right now so thinking is ALL I get to do..lol, in between cleaning and cooking.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I am with you on that one!!! It seems like an eternity when you have made up your mind that you want to go back. I hope it doesn't take that long for either of us.

I think I will be able to find a job over there before I find somewhere to live with four small pets - but you just never know. I've never been one to accept the status quo and am used to pushing that box at every corner so we will see . . .
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:43 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

So if I could just hijack this thread for one quick point: you know how some of us have been talking about how family have been less than inviting. Well, I emailed a relative whose address I had lost when my computer last crashed, because my daughter wanted to send him her graduation announcement. (We were already alerted to the fact that he didn't want us to expect he would put us up or anything when we came back- we weren't asking, but I could sense it in his response to us coming back. "Oh, I surprised." And then nothing else despite 2 email to him since.)

ANYWAY, I digress...so his response to this was, why can't you just scan it and email it? Am I too far off field to interpret this as meaning, don't expect me to send her any money (AGAIN, not expecting anything), so maybe if you just send it that way I can quickly look it over and delete it from the inbox and my memory? I don't know, I think I would rather have the card in my hand, even if I planned on tossing it in the bin later, or at least pretend I am interested in seeing it Am I totally off base here. paranoid maybe?
Damn the time difference! I go to bed and I miss out on so much lol!

Ok well I'm going to say here that your relative is just plain rude IMHO and I personally would prefer a bit of good news like yours in the post. The art of letter writing is all but lost these days, all I get these days is junk mail and bills - a proper letter would be such a treat and you don't toss them away like you would casually delete an e-mail.

My Mum used to write to me all the time when I first moved here and I loved it, I still have every single letter she wrote me! Now she e-mails as it is far more convenient but we still send each other funny cards now and then - its great to receive one let me tell you!

Now I am a stickler for good manners, any of my patients dare to say 'Pick that bag up for me" and they get 'The Look' - head to one side, furrowed brow and pursed lips (bit like my sister's pug only not as cute lol!) followed by a terse "Whatever happened to Mr Please?" ha ha ha!!!! This relative of yours sounds like a bit of a ratbag and you seem so nice so - just out of curiosity - why do you still have contact? Is it because you feel like its the polite thing to do? Sometimes its better to cut these people loose you know as they just drain you. Send the announcement anyway, its a great thing to have achieved and your daughter doesn't have to come down to his level!

Anyway I would like to say a huge congratulations to your daughter for graduating, all that hard work has paid off - you must be very very proud of her

Last edited by MissBetty; Mar 29th 2013 at 11:12 am.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:55 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think I'm having my own TROPPO moment Which is another reason I will be glad to get my passport and get out of here.

Don't get me wrong, the friends I'm staying with are great and I love them to death. They took me in and put a roof over my head, but that's where it deviated..lol. I am chief cook and bottle washer. I do the cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing and washing the dishes. It's almost as though they know I'll do it, so they leave everything. I'm not a tidy freak by any means, but I do like things to look nice, and when people just leave things laying around and not throw anything away even though there's a garbage bin 2 feet away, just about make me want to scream!!! Don't even get me started on the bathroom and the piles of dirty clothes laying on the floor when the washing machine is 5ft away ..lol
Okay, rant over !
That would make me very cross I must admit and I am a real neat freak lol! You are a friend and, yes they are helping you out, BUT you are not the hired help FFS! Put the dirty clothes IN the laundry basket, put the rubbish IN the bin, its not that hard people!!

Not long to go now and you can move on with your new life and look after yourself first and foremost, hang on in there love, not long to go now!

I realised this morning that tomorrow, when it comes to my shifts, I'm out of the '30's' and I only have 29 shifts to go! I'm trying not to wish my life away but I'm chomping at the bit to go now. I'm so lucky I found you lot and BE else I really do think my friends would have killed me by now, like you ladies I'm obsessed with going now and driving everyone here MAD ha ha!!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Mar 29th 2013 at 10:59 am.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:11 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by fulwood
Miss Betty - let us know if things progress with possible job with the American. Perth - think your relative is saying they really can't be arsed to attend..
I shall do Fulwood, I'm just not sure what I want atm. I love what I do but my choices are as follows:-

1. Go back to the NHS, job security, get NHS pension restarted and get a bit of training paid for. Downside? Bloody knackering and I'd have to commute again.

2. Go back to the NHS part time. My mortgage is so low now and I have no debt so I could go down to 2 x 12 hour shifts per week - tempting but then I wouldn't get any training paid for as I wouldn't do enough hours.

3. Stick to the original plan and go freelance, bit of NHS frontline, film/tv work, medical repatriation, rig/ship work, expedition medic, cruise ships and just pay my own taxes/NI contibutions as a self employed person.

I'm confused as hell but I think atm I'm so stressed and tired I can't actually make a rational decision to save my life! Am going to go home, take some time out and think about what it is I really want to do.

Atm I'm going with no. 1 for 6 months followed by no. 3 but who knows? I will keep you all posted though I promise!!! I'm lucky to have choices though I know. This morning I went out to a 31 year old woman who has cancer (melanoma), she's so beautiful and a lovely person - she only has 4 months to live
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:20 am
Practical Paramedic

I am with you on that one!!! It seems like an eternity when you have made up your mind that you want to go back. I hope it doesn't take that long for either of us.

I think I will be able to find a job over there before I find somewhere to live with four small pets - but you just never know. I've never been one to accept the status quo and am used to pushing that box at every corner so we will see . . .
I know! When I first started this post it seemed like my leaving date was so far away it would never come and I was so bloody unhappy! Fast forward and now its 2 months since I started this thread and, come Monday, only 8 weeks til I get on that plane!!

I honestly don't know how I would have coped without BE as I'm on my own up here for 178 hours straight. I have hardly anyone to talk to and I live for the days when I am off duty, out of here and can go catch up with friends. Its a pretty lonely life and I will be very glad to put it all behind me and start LIVING again
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Nah! He's got a beautiful 18 year old girlfriend..they're talking marriage already LOL

I think I'm more of a substitute mother. The entire family seem to think me and his Dad would get together...lol
Now wait a minute, this is getting awfully interesting...sure YOU don't have a book in you as well?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Damn the time difference! I go to bed and I miss out on so much lol!

Ok well I'm going to say here that your relative is just plain rude IMHO and I personally would prefer a bit of good news like yours in the post. The art of letter writing is all but lost these days, all I get these days is junk mail and bills - a proper letter would be such a treat and you don't toss them away like you would casually delete an e-mail.

My Mum used to write to me all the time when I first moved here and I loved it, I still have every single letter she wrote me! Now she e-mails as it is far more convenient but we still send each other funny cards now and then - its great to receive one let me tell you!

Now I am a stickler for good manners, any of my patients dare to say 'Pick that bag up for me" and they get 'The Look' - head to one side, furrowed brow and pursed lips (bit like my sister's pug only not as cute lol!) followed by a terse "Whatever happened to Mr Please?" ha ha ha!!!! This relative of yours sounds like a bit of a ratbag and you seem so nice so - just out of curiosity - why do you still have contact? Is it because you feel like its the polite thing to do? Sometimes its better to cut these people loose you know as they just drain you. Send the announcement anyway, its a great thing to have achieved and your daughter doesn't have to come down to his level!

Anyway I would like to say a huge congratulations to your daughter for graduating, all that hard work has paid off - you must be very very proud of her
Oh Miss Betty, bless your little cotton socks! Thank you so much. We are proud of her, and she is graduating Magna Cum Laude (also known as high honours when it's at home). She is getting a BA in Psychology, with a minor in Child Development, then going on to get a nursing degree so she can work in neo-natal care, preferably in an underdeveloped country. And she's only 21

He can stuff it. I don't really have much contact with him and his permanently sour-puss-faced wife, just obligatory stuff because we are "family." I have a better relationship with other family members, so I do think I will cut him loose and just tell the others when we are visiting. He's bound to find out and will be left scratching his head as to why we didn't let him know

Last edited by Perth; Mar 29th 2013 at 1:07 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MissBetty
I know! When I first started this post it seemed like my leaving date was so far away it would never come and I was so bloody unhappy! Fast forward and now its 2 months since I started this thread and, come Monday, only 8 weeks til I get on that plane!!

I honestly don't know how I would have coped without BE as I'm on my own up here for 178 hours straight. I have hardly anyone to talk to and I live for the days when I am off duty, out of here and can go catch up with friends. Its a pretty lonely life and I will be very glad to put it all behind me and start LIVING again
So glad we found each other too! Hope we all get to meet someday. Can you imagine us lot taking over a pub for the night
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

You seem like a really gusty lady, and I have no doubt in my mind that you will find yourself over there in no time, WITH a job, AND with a place for you and all your babies. And I'll be right there behind you
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:10 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Now wait a minute, this is getting awfully interesting...sure YOU don't have a book in you as well?
I wouldn't know where to start lol. It's more soap opera material lol
Old Mar 29th 2013, 2:16 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

So if I could just hijack this thread for one quick point: you know how some of us have been talking about how family have been less than inviting. Well, I emailed a relative whose address I had lost when my computer last crashed, because my daughter wanted to send him her graduation announcement. (We were already alerted to the fact that he didn't want us to expect he would put us up or anything when we came back- we weren't asking, but I could sense it in his response to us coming back. "Oh, I surprised." And then nothing else despite 2 email to him since.)

ANYWAY, I digress...so his response to this was, why can't you just scan it and email it? Am I too far off field to interpret this as meaning, don't expect me to send her any money (AGAIN, not expecting anything), so maybe if you just send it that way I can quickly look it over and delete it from the inbox and my memory? I don't know, I think I would rather have the card in my hand, even if I planned on tossing it in the bin later, or at least pretend I am interested in seeing it Am I totally off base here. paranoid maybe?
What a rude pig. That's him not you ! He's going to some lengths to not give you his address. I'm almost embarrassed for him. Scan and send it anyway as technically he's asked for it but your strategy of, 'you know, I really can't do this anymore' would be a good one to follow.

Back to thread proper Plus some for you both. (Please just see it as cake even though it's not either of your birthdays) Whadya mean cake never solved anything. Have some more, you've got no staying power !
Old Mar 29th 2013, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough

He can stuff it. I don't really have much contact with him and his permanently sour-puss-faced wife, just obligatory stuff because we are "family." I have a better relationship with other family members, so I do think I will cut him loose and just tell the others when we are visiting. He's bound to find out and will be left scratching his head as to why we didn't let him know
As I write this, I am looking at a plaque on the wall of my house that says:

"Friends welcome anytime, relatives by appointment"

Congrats to your daughter!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.