Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Feb 17th 2013, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
In spite of its many attractions, Hastings is not a one-way street of good news, hence the moderate rental prices in what has typically, as in Margate and Thanet, become known as a sort of HQ for folks on benefits:

From Ft article:

March 6, 2012 7:22 pm
Why the Pembury road matters more than the Olympics

By John Kay
We need to shift the emphasis away from grand projects:

"Hastings is the most depressed of England’s south-coast resorts. Government regeneration programmes have tried to revive the town, with limited success: poor road and rail* connections to London remain a critical problem."

*typical London run is 1hr 43mins which is at the reaches of commutable and it is actually quicker to go to Ashford and change onto the High Speed Line to St Pancras. As discussed, not being commutable can be a good thing but when close to London, this has its trade-offs in being desirable for possibly less desirable neighbours.
Thanks, Pete. Yes, I have already discounted it (for other reasons) but responded on the other thread. I am so very happy for Miss Betty, though, that she has a home waiting for her!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Thanks, Pete. Yes, I have already discounted it (for other reasons) but responded on the other thread. I am so very happy for Miss Betty, though, that she has a home waiting for her!
Absolutely!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, also Maltoo kicked off relatively recent discussion regarding a search around Hastings when she opened posting on this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...80&postcount=1
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Naishy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by windsong
HI Haishy

I wish I had a date for the move back but I don't. I am unfortunately fighting unemployment in the midwest - ugh! Until I get a job so I can save to go home, my plans are halted. I will be fending for myself there so I have to save quite a bit.

I have also started a business that is only now getting off the ground but within a year, it "will" make a lot of money. Unfortunately, the stress of unemployment is getting in the way of my working on the business because I am so stressed. Fortunately, my business partner is very understanding about this. I need a job so I can relax enough to work on the business. Sigh! It is also a business I can do in retirement for extra income (probably the majority of my income because we can make a good deal of money in this business.)

Sometimes it is hard to remain positive about all this, but I try. Direct hire jobs are hard to find and contract jobs have a gap of about 3 months in between, thereby reducing my annual income greatly. I am presently in a 3-month gap, at least I hope it is no longer than that.

Of course, I could work on the business now - if I could overcome the anxiety - and begin to make money in spite of being unemployed but the trouble with that is it will take a year to begin to make money and in the meantime, I end up on the streets - worse case scenario! Also, income from any new contracts wouldn't arrive until 3-6 months after signing.

If the business is successful - and it should be - I won't need a job back in the UK. I will have my own business, although I don't know how that positions me as regards residency. I suppose I would have to prove past income from the business for six months or so - just a guess.

But let's stay positive and hope I find a job.

Footnote: I ought to add this info since I wrote a year ago about starting a business. We have already started it - one year ago - but didn't want to charge for the services until we were able to prove ourselves and gathered quite a bank of potential paying clients which we have now done - with many more asking for our services. So, you see, we have not been idle during the last year. The next step is to clearly define on our web site (in the process) of what we will charge for which service. In the last year, we have established a reputation and an image - very important.
Fingers crossed & hoping you can find that job & get the business up & running so you can start putting that money away for the big return. Stay positive & it will happen. I know its hard & we wish we could just get there as soon as possible but it's not just as simple as that. Keep on chipping away at it & you'll get there.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Yeah that's brilliant that MissBetty has a place waiting for her. Great forward planning on your part MissBetty! It's a great starting point especially considering
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Naishy
Yeah that's brilliant that MissBetty has a place waiting for her. Great forward planning on your part MissBetty! It's a great starting point especially considering
Ooops! I guess I pressed the wrong button there! I meant to finish with...considering the cost of getting on the housing ladder over there.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed & hoping you can find that job & get the business up & running so you can start putting that money away for the big return. Stay positive & it will happen. I know its hard & we wish we could just get there as soon as possible but it's not just as simple as that. Keep on chipping away at it & you'll get there.
Thank you very much You, too!!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:21 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

In spite of its many attractions, Hastings is not a one-way street of good news, hence the moderate rental prices in what has typically, as in Margate and Thanet, become known as a sort of HQ for folks on benefits:

From Ft article:

March 6, 2012 7:22 pm
Why the Pembury road matters more than the Olympics

By John Kay
We need to shift the emphasis away from grand projects:

"Hastings is the most depressed of England’s south-coast resorts. Government regeneration programmes have tried to revive the town, with limited success: poor road and rail* connections to London remain a critical problem."

*typical London run is 1hr 43mins which is at the reaches of commutable and it is actually quicker to go to Ashford and change onto the High Speed Line to St Pancras. As discussed, not being commutable can be a good thing but when close to London, this has its trade-offs in being desirable for possibly less desirable neighbours.
Hi Pete

Yep, totally agree with everything you say! I have seen posts by you before and I know that you are very familiar with this area.

I always try to emphasise to people that Hastings itself is pretty grotty. In 1999 I was offered my property in the Old Town for ÂŁ28,000 and one in St Leonards for ÂŁ16,000 - I chose the former as I knew I would be far better off living in the Old Town lol!

The difference between the two parts never fails to amaze me. I walk down George Street, cute pubs, lovely shops, friendly people then 15 mins later I've walked along the seafront into the main town and there is a girl, who looks about 15, with greasy hair, big gold earrings and a fag hanging out of her mouth screaming at her kids outside Poundland. "BECKHAM, CHANEL c'mere you little sods! We gotta go see ya farfur in prison in an 'our!"

Hastings is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:41 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops! I guess I pressed the wrong button there! I meant to finish with...considering the cost of getting on the housing ladder over there.
You know I'd like to say it was all careful planning but that would be a lie ha ha ha! Mind you, your plans sound great and you have work to go back to which is just brilliant! I know I can go freelance, full time or part time easy as, there's always work for us paramedics lol! However, as I've said before, the job process for us is a long one - fitness test, written test, medical, CRB check, practicals - all before you even get to interview stage. I'll start applying for jobs around 6 weeks before I come back me thinks!

I did actually put my property up for sale as I thought maybe I should make a fresh start when I came back. It sold within 2 days but then the buyers mortgage fell through a short time after.

Its weird but I woke up in the middle of the night a week later - no idea why - and just thought OMG, I'm making a huge mistake. I rang my Mum immediately and said take it off the market - quick! She was stunned and told me I'd just had another offer on it but I was adamant I did not want to sell it. I've always loved my little flat and I realised that I was happy to go back to somewhere that was familiar to me. I didn't need a fresh start, I hadn't failed in my move to Oz, I just wanted to go home - simple as that!

I firmly believe in fate, what will be will be and all that! I also have learnt that, in life, sometimes when you don't get what you want - the job, the house, the relationship - you look back 2,5 even 10 years later and think -phew - had a lucky escape there!!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 17th 2013 at 11:22 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Hi Pete

Yep, totally agree with everything you say! I have seen posts by you before and I know that you are very familiar with this area.

I always try to emphasise to people that Hastings itself is pretty grotty. In 1999 I was offered my property in the Old Town for ÂŁ28,000 and one in St Leonards for ÂŁ16,000 - I chose the former as I knew I would be far better off living in the Old Town lol!

The difference between the two parts never fails to amaze me. I walk down George Street, cute pubs, lovely shops, friendly people then 15 mins later I've walked along the seafront into the main town and there is a girl, who looks about 15, with greasy hair, big gold earrings and a fag hanging out of her mouth screaming at her kids outside Poundland. "BECKHAM, CHANEL c'mere you little sods! We gotta go see ya farfur in prison in an 'our!"

Hastings is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it!
Nice One! Thanks for the laugh! Where's the Jail, Lewes?

Well done you to have bought in the golden buying era around the turn of the millenium.

I like the atmosphere that is recreated in some of the shoots of Foyle's War, both inland in the older quarter and on the seafront near the sheds you refer to where we on occasion bought fresh-landed Dover or lemon sole when in the area for one reason or another.

Researching the town again today, I think that the local council probably have the right idea to try and inject a degree of solid affluence into the local residents in spite of the accusation that they are just gentrifying the place. The same plot seems to be working well elsewhere, though change does not necessarily come easily.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:08 pm
Practical Paramedic

Nice One! Thanks for the laugh! Where's the Jail, Lewes?

Well done you to have bought in the golden buying era around the turn of the millenium.

I like the atmosphere that is recreated in some of the shoots of Foyle's War, both inland in the older quarter and on the seafront near the sheds you refer to where we on occasion bought fresh-landed Dover or lemon sole when in the area for one reason or another.

Researching the town again today, I think that the local council probably have the right idea to try and inject a degree of solid affluence into the local residents in spite of the accusation that they are just gentrifying the place. The same plot seems to be working well elsewhere, though change does not necessarily come easily.

You're welcome ha ha ha!!! Yes Lewes has a big prison just outside the town, right near the railway station - handy!

Yes I was lucky to buy when I did but it was a fluke I swear! I was working for the London Ambulance Service at the time but I just couldn't afford London prices so chose Hastings as my parents now live in Battle. I was working in Croydon and its about an hour and a half drive up the A21. It was ok as I did permanent nights back then and was always going against the traffic, sometimes it was SO exhausting though after a 12 hour night duty!!

100% agree with that, Hastings has always been an 'end of the line' kind of place, it is getting better but it just takes time
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

[/B]

You're welcome ha ha ha!!! Yes Lewes has a big prison just outside the town, right near the railway station - handy!

Yes I was lucky to buy when I did but it was a fluke I swear! I was working for the London Ambulance Service at the time but I just couldn't afford London prices so chose Hastings as my parents now live in Battle. I was working in Croydon and its about an hour and a half drive up the A21. It was ok as I did permanent nights back then and was always going against the traffic, sometimes it was SO exhausting though after a 12 hour night duty!!

100% agree with that, Hastings has always been an 'end of the line' kind of place, it is getting better but it just takes time
I quoted from that Ft article earlier because you have to be registered in order to access the site but the joke in the article refers to the fact that Harold was defeated at the Battle of Hastings because he was stuck in traffic on the A21.

I know it was bad back in our day in the early seventies as there was no Pembury bypass then and often heavy coast-bound traffic on sunny weekends but there has been precious little improvement over the years apparently in spite of the obvious need. A sorry state of affairs.

We will be enroute via Hastings in the summer when doing a rail day-trip to Rye from Tunbridge-Wells.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:11 pm
Practical Paramedic

I quoted from that Ft article earlier because you have to be registered in order to access the site but the joke in the article refers to the fact that Harold was defeated at the Battle of Hastings because he was stuck in traffic on the A21. I know it was bad back in our day in the early seventies as there was no Pembury bypass then and often heavy coast-bound traffic on sunny weekends but there has been precious little improvement over the years apparently in spite of the obvious need. A sorry state of affairs.

We will be enroute via Hastings in the summer when doing a rail day-trip to Rye from Tunbridge-Wells.
ROFL that's hilarious!!!!! The commute has always been slow, either by road or train, I was always going against the traffic as I said so it was ok - still a long old drive though, not sure if I could commit to that again!

If I ever had to go for a training day at our HQ in Fulham starting at 0900 hrs I would always take the train as it was easier than driving that time of day. I'd always get a seat as Hastings was the first stop but by the end of the journey it was awful, packed in like sardines, people coughing in your face and paying through the nose for the privilage! The upside to it though is that it may well be one of the reasons why house prices have stayed so low in Hastings

Now I love Tunbridge Wells, always pop up there for a bit of shopping, such a pretty town!

Well enjoy your trip and if you go to the Old Town have a pint for me! I'd recommend the FILO, Hastings Arms or the Stag but stay away from the Nelson - but then you probably already know that ha ha ha!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 17th 2013 at 11:19 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

You know I'd like to say it was all careful planning but that would be a lie ha ha ha! Mind you, your plans sound great and you have work to go back to which is just brilliant! I know I can go freelance, full time or part time easy as, there's always work for us paramedics lol! However, as I've said before, the job process for us is a long one - fitness test, written test, medical, CRB check, practicals - all before you even get to interview stage. I'll start applying for jobs around 6 weeks before I come back me thinks!

I did actually put my property up for sale as I thought maybe I should make a fresh start when I came back. It sold within 2 days but then the buyers mortgage fell through a short time after.

Its weird but I woke up in the middle of the night a week later - no idea why - and just thought OMG, I'm making a huge mistake. I rang my Mum immediately and said take it off the market - quick! She was stunned and told me I'd just had another offer on it but I was adamant I did not want to sell it. I've always loved my little flat and I realised that I was happy to go back to somewhere that was familiar to me. I didn't need a fresh start, I hadn't failed in my move to Oz, I just wanted to go home - simple as that!

I firmly believe in fate, what will be will be and all that! I also have learnt that, in life, sometimes when you don't get what you want - the job, the house, the relationship - you look back 2,5 even 10 years later and think -phew - had a lucky escape there!!!!
Yeah, good idea I reckon on your part, You've got somewhere to go back to & it's your own space. A place to sit in peace, reflect & plan your next moves. Once you've got that down you can put the house up for sale & move fon from there, it sounds like it would sell pretty quickly, unless you had it priced too low. lol
Yep, agreed things don't always go quite as we had planned but that's life & they do say these things happen for a reason, if it ain't meant to be it just ain't meant to be. Sometimes they are the hardest things to accept, most often in relationships but we move on & often its for the best.
My move, it just feels like it's time, it wasn't planned like this, it's just happening like this. I was looking at making the move within the next 5 years but a situation arose that makes now feel right. I'm excited to be writing a new Chapter. It's great to be going back to a job that's for sure. It's actually down in Bognor not a million miles from Hastings, though like Pistolpete pointed out the traffic situation over there could make it feel like a million miles! Measuring up what I want to take & want to sell to see what are my best options on shipping probably a container. Any suggestions? as I'm new to this is there anywhere on this site regards shipping?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you Miss Betty? We have missed you these last couple of days. Hope everything is OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.