Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Feb 21st 2013, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by carolandpete
Or this one, An anthem for all us Brits who are a bit homesick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWl06RW6lwY
Heehee...that one is on my iPod. I play it sometimes in the car to give my wife a "not so subtle" hint as to my state of mind!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beccarose
lol! I love it! I don't know where you live but this seems to be the case so often in the US. Here we either have the yucky trash or the yuckier trash.
Currently residing in the center of southern lala land - where all the true freaks come from LA = San Diego. I can see perfect representations of those in the video anytime of day. Heck according to the radio I could over my lunch hour have plastic surgery boobs, thighs ..., teeth whitening, lip collagen, etc etc.. you get the idea!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:56 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Another reason to go home - recently an Aussie I met here mistook my accent for Australian. Either have been away to long or my accent is really getting weak Not uncommon here though - rarely are you British its either South African, Aussie or NZ
Seriously?!!! That's funny as! I know I've probably missed it on earlier posts but where abouts in the UK are you from?

I grew up in Oz so I do have quite a strong Aussie accent which is quite funny as I've been putting out feelers for work recently and keep having these phone conversations with job agencies:-

"We need to see your proof of eligibility to work in the UK first." "I'm British." "and you'll need to get an National Insurance number" "Um I have one, I'm British." "Have you ever worked in the UK before?" "For Pete's sake - I"M BRITISH!!!!!"

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 21st 2013 at 9:15 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:09 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beccarose
Good grief! I really don't know how you do it. I have a friend who is a cop and I just feel for both of you, the crap you put up with, the messes you have to clean up the nasty people you are there to help... ugh! As someone else said, a lot of respect for what you do. I hope you feel better soon and I envy your ability to laugh it off, I know you kind of have to to keep any form of sanity but I still envy it.

Cheers Becca. I've been to 5 psych pts this week and four of them were locals. I've managed to build up a good rapport with the four of them so even when they are feeling angry and confused they always tend to be fine with me. Two of them had to go in for minor self harm injuries so they are generally seen and discharged quite quickly at the small country hospital here. The hospital is 20 kms out of town and a $50 taxi ride back (no public transport) so I gave them both a lift home once I'd finished my paperwork. As you know I work alone I let them sit up the front and we have a chat on the way back, I show them respect and I get respect in return. The girl that attacked us was just a nightmare, more drink/drug related than anything, she wasn't local though, thank God!!!!

I have to laugh it off or else I would just be angry all the time at the abuse I get from pts like her and the drunks. The cop who got assaulted with me at that job is British too and he's so deadpan - cracks me up! After she was handcuffed and on the ambulance she spat at me (I ducked!) and she was still only wearing a t shirt and knickers. Her boyfriend came out with a pair of jeans for her so I put them on the bed and said to her "Get your trousers on, you're nicked!" The cop and I then just fell about laughing!!!!!

http://youtu.be/WZT5Fq7KuPk For the non-Brits thinking ??????? Lol!

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 21st 2013 at 9:37 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough

Currently residing in the center of southern lala land - where all the true freaks come from LA = San Diego. I can see perfect representations of those in the video anytime of day. Heck according to the radio I could over my lunch hour have plastic surgery boobs, thighs ..., teeth whitening, lip collagen, etc etc.. you get the idea!
Maaaate! what you need to do is what we do in Oz. We create enclaves for our less fortunate souls:

Dole bludgers and those that are socially ill at ease we send to regional centres such as Moe in Victoria.

Liars, drunks and illiterates have a permanent (growing) home in Canberra.

As for the true weirdo's, retrobates and just plain odd, we send em North of the border to Far North Queensland where even the cane toads are trying to migrate away from..
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:54 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by kampaicharger
Maaaate! what you need to do is what we do in Oz. We create enclaves for our less fortunate souls:

Dole bludgers and those that are socially ill at ease we send to regional centres such as Moe in Victoria.

As for the true weirdo's, retrobates and just plain odd, we send em North of the border to Far North Queensland where even the cane toads are trying to migrate away from..
Oh no don't you dare - no more!!! I've got enough feral idiots to deal with - don't send anymore up here thanks!!! Lol!

The worst thing is though its so true. A few weeks ago I got called to this woman who was drunk, fallen over, hit her head and her husband couldn't get her up off the floor so he called for an ambulance. I get there, hear all this commotion and peek through the window, I see this HUGE woman, drunk, yelling and smashing the house up. Her husband comes to the door, he's got one eye and one arm (honest!) and the first thing he says to me? "Oh hi, we've just moved here......" and I'm standing there thinking why, why oh WHY FFS???!!!!

You couldn't make this stuff up I swear - sigh!

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 22nd 2013 at 1:18 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Seriously?!!! That's funny as! I know I've probably missed it on earlier posts but where abouts in the UK are you from?

I grew up in Oz so I do have quite a strong Aussie accent which is quite funny as I've been putting out feelers for work recently and keep having these phone conversations with job agencies:-

"We need to see your proof of eligibility to work in the UK first." "I'm British." "and you'll need to get an National Insurance number" "Um I have one, I'm British." "Have you ever worked in the UK before?" "For Pete's sake - I"M BRITISH!!!!!"
Family is from up North NE, but moved around a lot as a child, so I suppose its a bland London business accent for me - well now Aussie sounding. Well in your business I suppose everyone thinks your from the Philippines after Pr. phillips latest gaffe.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kampaicharger

love it. Trouble is I think I'm in one of those enclaves! Its a district (Hunger Games like) where everyone believes the ultimate goal is to have more than anyone else and live 'big' like the Khardashians.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
That was awesome, thanks so much (even cried a little bit, oh dear, here I go again lol!)

One of the things I love about BE is how a lot of people, myself included, have a greater appreciation for their own country now after living overseas. As I've reiterated I DON'T hate Australia but I really love my own country so much more now!

I'm trying not to look at my return home through rose tinted glasses but I genuinely feel I do have a better quality of life in the UK. I have a small flat there, not a McMansion like I had here, and I earn double here what I do in the UK but these things mean nothing to me at the end of the day. Its true that I don't have anyone to consider but myself and even though I'm kind of 'downsizing' my life I know its for the best. Here yes, I earn the big bucks, but I feel so trapped and miserable. In the UK I wouldn't earn as much but, as a freelance medic, I get to do all sorts of different medic work - offshore, medical repatriation, front line bank work, cruise liners, first aid teaching, film and tv - I'd never get to do that here. Am I scared? You bet I am! I know it will take time to build up contacts and get a foot in the door but I love what I do and I'm hopeful that employers will give me a chance!

I couldn't give a toss that I live near one of the most fabulous beaches in Qld - there were 3 massive crocs down there this week right on the shoreline FFS! I saw them as I was driving on the beach in my troop carrier last week, they were massive and they just made me shudder - ugh!!!! I don't care about the sandy beach and the coconut trees, I'd rather be on the seafront at Brighton eating hot doughnuts with my Mum!

Most of my friends think I am mad to go back but they haven't actually LIVED overseas so they don't understand. I shrug it off though, like I've said previously, people think if they move to another country all their problems will magically disappear but life just isn't that simple!

When I am back in the UK I feel like I belong, when I am home I feel like a different person to the person I am here. I feel more alive and just happier in general, sometimes here I just feel invisible - no one is interested in me or anything I have to say or offer, if I do have a bad day I keep it all bottled up if I can for fear of the 'whinging pom' label!!!

Its been a great experience to live here but I can't wait to go now. I will never ever take my family, my friends or my country for granted ever again trust me!

Good luck with your plans and can I just say how much I enjoyed reading your 'Xmas Visit' post? It was so well written, loved it!
Good post. I think more than a few get the bit about being invisible here. Forget about money that can't make up for the other things in life. Once one has been earning the bigger money for awhile it can be more a case of so what. Lonliness I'd say is a big part of your decision to return but more than an apt one.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Sorry to butt-in, but this is a song that I always listen to when I'm in a homesick mood. It's a little weepy for me so be warned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUo4rM6uZP8
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RChappo
Sorry to butt-in, but this is a song that I always listen to when I'm in a homesick mood. It's a little weepy for me so be warned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUo4rM6uZP8
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good news this week I received news of a Skype type interview -so for those who have given up hope on that (including me) if you persevere as I have been doing then perhaps, just perhaps there is a God somewhere and maybe it works Now I have to ace the interview ...small steps, small steps

Last edited by vikingsail : Feb 2nd 2013 at 4:13 pm.

Quoting from my own post earlier this month and not wishing to hijack this thread but I think it is the most appropriate place to post this initial news while my head is in a spin. Got the job!!

Will post more later today. In meantime all advice welcome (trolls not need apply). And if your feeling particularly negative about the UK don't bother either water off a ducks back etc...

Its going to be a great weekend

Last edited by vikingsail; Feb 22nd 2013 at 9:59 pm. Reason: i can't spell
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that is super! Very happy for you. Be interested to know what field of work but will wait for your later post. Well done..
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:33 pm
Practical Paramedic

That's fantastic news, well done!!! I shall reply to your PM with heaps of questions once I've recovered from my night out in Boganville - it was um..... interesting to say the least lol! Congrats!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Good news this week I received news of a Skype type interview -so for those who have given up hope on that (including me) if you persevere as I have been doing then perhaps, just perhaps there is a God somewhere and maybe it works Now I have to ace the interview ...small steps, small steps

Last edited by vikingsail : Feb 2nd 2013 at 4:13 pm.

Quoting from my own post earlier this month and not wishing to hijack this thread but I think it is the most appropriate place to post this initial news while my head is in a spin. Got the job!!

Will post more later today. In meantime all advice welcome (trolls not need apply). And if your feeling particularly negative about the UK don't bother either water off a ducks back etc...

Its going to be a great weekend
That is absolutely wonderful news!!! I haven't heard of Skype interviews before but it's a great idea - sort of like a long distance phone interview

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.