Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Good news this week I received news of a Skype type interview -so for those who have given up hope on that (including me) if you persevere as I have been doing then perhaps, just perhaps there is a God somewhere and maybe it works Now I have to ace the interview ...small steps, small steps

Last edited by vikingsail : Feb 2nd 2013 at 4:13 pm.

Quoting from my own post earlier this month and not wishing to hijack this thread but I think it is the most appropriate place to post this initial news while my head is in a spin. Got the job!!

Will post more later today. In meantime all advice welcome (trolls not need apply). And if your feeling particularly negative about the UK don't bother either water off a ducks back etc...

Its going to be a great weekend
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
So where are you off to and when do you leave?

Last edited by Perth; Feb 23rd 2013 at 1:52 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong - yes it was a Skype type interview - I originally was going to use Skype but decided to use a commercial video conference facility. I think it made a hugh difference, they had all the latest equipment. No awkward moments of static, Shhhhh, can you hear me, or looking up mine or others noses. It meant I could focus on the task at hand. I really had to search to get a good price but was successful in the end. Believe me the prices ranged from $200 - 400. I ended up paying just over $100 for what turned out to be nearly 11/2 hours of room and facilities use. I thought that was very fair given if I was traveling to an interview in the UK that would be fairly close to transport costs. It seems to have worked out! I would recommend that approach over DIY Skype IMHO, it was a calculated decision on my part after research and listening and reading advice on BE.

PerthHS - the West country any suggestions for living near Bristol area? When TBD - watch this space!

Fulwood - Higher education - after reading Dunrovin's posts for a few years I am a little trepidatious but we will see what transpires

Last edited by vikingsail; Feb 23rd 2013 at 3:16 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:45 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong - yes it was a Skype type interview - I originally was going to use Skype but decided to use a commercial video conference facility. I think it made a hugh difference, they had all the latest equipment. No awkward moments of static, Shhhhh, can you hear me, or looking up mine or others noses. It meant I could focus on the task at hand. I really had to search to get a good price but was successful in the end. Believe me the prices ranged from $200 - 400. I ended up paying just over $100 for what turned out to be nearly 11/2 hours of room and facilities use. I thought that was very fair given if I was traveling to an interview in the UK that would be fairly close to transport costs. It seems to have worked out! I would recommend that approach over DIY Skype IMHO, it was a calculated decision on my part after research and listening and reading advice on BE.

PerthHS - the West country any suggestions for living near Bristol area? When TBD - watch this space!

Fulwood - Higher education - after reading Dunrovin's posts for a few years I am a little trepidatious but we will see what transpires
Here you go, to help you settle into your new home - go West young man lol!

http://youtu.be/oqjVGEGalmA
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

To have this sort of conferencing/Slype-type interview for a higher education position from USA to UK is fantastic! I didn't think it would be possible to find a job in higher education long distance. I didn't think the education authorities over there would even consider anyone who was not presently in the country. Hmm . . . I might have to try this since I used to teach
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
To have this sort of conferencing/Slype-type interview for a higher education position from USA to UK is fantastic! I didn't think it would be possible to find a job in higher education long distance. I didn't think the education authorities over there would even consider anyone who was not presently in the country. Hmm . . . I might have to try this since I used to teach
Not so much a teacher anymore more an administrator. I just decided to throw caution to the wind and state on the application form that I was available via video conference but if they required in person then to please provide reasonable notice for flight purchase etc. I think the honesty factor worked. Mind you its taken me about a year to think that one through so I suppose I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Here you go, to help you settle into your new home - go West young man lol!

http://youtu.be/oqjVGEGalmA
Very good ha, ha, ha. I think I will be adopting that or at least singing it on the flight, that should raise some eyebrows

And there was me thinking of a much more sappy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abzbVFuxigg
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:54 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Very good ha, ha, ha. I think I will be adopting that or at least singing it on the flight, that should raise some eyebrows

And there was me thinking of a much more sappy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abzbVFuxigg
Ooh but I love that song, not heard it in years! Maybe you could combine the two? Ooh arr, who says you can't go home, ooh arr, there only one place they call me one of their own, ooh arr - ha ha ha!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Ooh but I love that song, not heard it in years! Maybe you could combine the two? Ooh arr, who says you can't go home, ooh arr, there only one place they call me one of their own, ooh arr - ha ha ha!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Probably too far for a commute for you but Exeter is on the top of our list
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Not so much a teacher anymore more an administrator. I just decided to throw caution to the wind and state on the application form that I was available via video conference but if they required in person then to please provide reasonable notice for flight purchase etc. I think the honesty factor worked. Mind you its taken me about a year to think that one through so I suppose I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed!
I might give this approach a shot, though I haven't taught in many years but I would love to return to it. It is a career I gave up when I came to the USA and it broke my heart. I tried teaching here, but the first few years in the USA brought a few moves in and out of state and teaching jobs were hard to find, too, so I ended up going into the business world and have never really liked it. It was more "I have to earn a living" than anything else.

May I ask what resources you used to find a job?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Good news this week I received news of a Skype type interview -so for those who have given up hope on that (including me) if you persevere as I have been doing then perhaps, just perhaps there is a God somewhere and maybe it works Now I have to ace the interview ...small steps, small steps

Quoting from my own post earlier this month and not wishing to hijack this thread but I think it is the most appropriate place to post this initial news while my head is in a spin. Got the job!!

Will post more later today. In meantime all advice welcome (trolls not need apply). And if your feeling particularly negative about the UK don't bother either water off a ducks back etc...

WOW that's what I miss for going to bed early last night!!!

CONGRATULATIONS Vikingsail, so very happy for you! Keep us posted on all the developments
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:47 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
WOW that's what I miss for going to bed early last night!!!

CONGRATULATIONS Vikingsail, so very happy for you! Keep us posted on all the developments
+1 That is brilliant news. Congratulations Vikingsail. You made a posting fairly recently, that really spoke to me and I forgot to respond to it. Anyway, you must be thrilled and I look forward to reading all about your move.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:49 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

Bev
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I'm already practicing my Ooh arr's
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

That's excellent news - congratulations! PM me if you have any questions about higher ed in the UK. I'm curious which university you will be at, but realise not everyone wants people to know where they will be working.

Being in admin is a different kettle of fish than teaching. I think a "9 to 5" mentality is more accepted in admin whereas being on the teaching staff, it's a case of "however many hours it takes to get through all the cr*p we throw at you". I also have learned one or two things recently that have made life easier. HE isn't always the Hell I paint it as!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.